R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-04-2002, 08:17 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default Long Format Nitro Racing

We have been running some 200mm Nitro TC enduro's here. anyone else doing this type of racing ? Our format is 200mm TC, Any tires, Roar legal .12 motor for 2 hours. Have to run 2 drivers minimum, and you turn marshal your own car. We have been toying with the idea of opening it up to 235mm cars, and running two different classes at the same time. Any thoughts. ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:28 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

how often do you guys run these races? What are the biggest issues that come up?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:35 AM   #3
Tech Champion

We are trying to run them once a month. The big issue on our track is tire wear. I think sweet spot, is 3 to a team, one "Pit" only person, and two drivers. the second driver assisist during the pit. The race we ran last weekend the winner had 420+ laps. It is most "Fun" I have racing. Not as much pressure.. By making turn mashalling the teams responsibility, we never hear any complaints about poor marshalling.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost

Last edited by TimPotter; 11-04-2002 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:43 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

spooky, have you noticed a greater rate of improvement of the driver's skillz since participating in these?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:54 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Ya know, I have not really paid attention, we have just started the enduro racing at our track, as the track that was holding them is now defunct. I know that it has helped me be patient. You HAVE to settle down and get a rythem in this type of racing. What is really cool about it, is you can blowout a tire, pop a linkage off, or have a break and still win the race, or at least finish well.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:54 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Default Re: Long Format Nitro Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by spooky
We have been running some 200mm Nitro TC enduro's here. anyone else doing this type of racing ? Our format is 200mm TC, Any tires, Roar legal .12 motor for 2 hours. Have to run 2 drivers minimum, and you turn marshal your own car. We have been toying with the idea of opening it up to 235mm cars, and running two different classes at the same time. Any thoughts. ?
Why not? can be exciting, think on LeMans series, run several classes together (in this case should be GTS and LMP classes). Go for it! Here we're planning to run a long enduro race 6 hour Nitro TC, but for the moment on Dec we have 1.5 hours enduro as 'desserts'...

Just a word of caution, if plan to admit 235mm divide them on 2wd and 4wd class or make some kind of penalty for the 4wd class.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:05 AM   #7
Tech Master

Some find such long races really annoying. Mostly b/c they are not used to it. I find that a regular race is more fun for me.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:13 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

An enduro race would really help me learn to drive the car in corners, since i've only had 1 meet i really need to get back down the tracka dn elarn to drive, driving on the track is totally different to on the front road.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:57 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Fiream

Origionaly the "lemans" series was organized by IMSA (International Motor Sports Assc.) Back in the 80's to mid 90's there would be on average 4-5 different classes runing enduro event. More classes= More fun= More challenge, cause not only do the slower guy have faster cars to worry about, the faster guy have to watch out for the little guys.

Classes:

GT1 \
GT2 } These are your Modifyed, Vettes, Porches, bmw, ect..
GT3 /

GT-O: These are with lightly modifyed engines over 3.0L
GT-U: Same as above but under 3.0L

GTPLights: These are like the LM900 car of today, but still they were faster back then.
GTP: These are like the LMP's today, but these car could do 240mph on the straights

So if you want to run an enduro run it right.

235mm:
Class1: .21 engines
Class2: .15 engines
Class3: .12 engines

200mm:
Class1: .21*
Class2: .15
Class3: .12

190:mm
Class1: .15
Class2: .12

If want, Even stick some electrics out there and that would be cool to see Nitro Vs. Electric.
That would be really cool to see 6 or 7 different classes of car run on the track at the same time.

It's just an Idea.

Rob

*I didn't know if 200mm car came in .21 or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg track.jpg (45.8 KB, 63 views)
Fiream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 12:14 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

we have had something like that it is a 3 hour race or first
to 500 laps wich ever comes first but it hasn't catched on because
it is too hard on the equipment.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 12:49 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jwf_frani
we have had something like that it is a 3 hour race or first
to 500 laps wich ever comes first but it hasn't catched on because
it is too hard on the equipment.
On the last 3Hr enduro we attended the winner did about 480 laps, med lap time was about 17,5 seconds if not remember bad. Not too bad for a mere low cost motors 17x2 with bushings and crappy brushes.

The next is with nitro cars... more real.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:27 PM   #12
Tech Master

spooky

Wasssup man! Sounds like the racing program is going well for you guys! We did a nitro enduro here this year and it was a lot of fun. Our theme was innovation, so we opened it up to any and all 1/10 and Superten chassis except 235mm. Other than that, it was open. The only rules were that you must have a two driver team, no driver can drive more than 60% of the time and no one other than pre-specified drivers can drive the car, must run the same body, chassis and engine all weekend. The race director was the only one that can make exceptions. The cool thing about this format was that it allowed the teams to choose from a variety of pit strategies. We did 10 minute qualifiers, a 30 minute c-main, 60 minute b-main and 120 minute a-main. We also did bump-ups. It sucked for the c-main winner because they had to drive for an hour and a half and turn marshall for 2 hours! They weren't complaining, though. Good luck in getting this off the ground! I'm sure you guys will have fun!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote