R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #631
Tech Elite
 
HarKonnenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,024
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default

Broke two 35+'s already? WTH?

Talk about bad luck or something is seriously wrong here....and to think those things just came out. I'm stayin with my TOP engine for now and or maybe invest in a new piston/sleeve.
__________________
Trying to live every day like its the last....
HarKonnenD is offline  
Old 03-01-2006, 06:39 AM   #632
Tech Master
 
Grinder's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,857
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Broke two 35+'s already? WTH?

Talk about bad luck or something is seriously wrong here....and to think those things just came out. I'm stayin with my TOP engine for now and or maybe invest in a new piston/sleeve.
I think it is mostly bad luck. The first broke from a direct impact on the engine at 60 mph. The crash broke one piece engine mount, chassis, rear blade sway bar, engine, and a lot of plastic. The second was not a very hard hit, but it was 48 degrees F outside and I think the cold contributed to the case breaking in half. The 60 mph hit did less damage to the engine than the slow hit. Not sure yet if there is less case material due to the larger rear bearing, but I will have to check that out. I will say that this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I have seen other engines do the same thing though.
__________________
www.murnanmodified.com
Grinder is offline  
Old 03-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #633
Tech Elite
 
HarKonnenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,024
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default

Makes me wonder if this would happen to me now that I'm going to race 8th onroad. I wonder how good the OS VZR would do on a nice medium track.
__________________
Trying to live every day like its the last....
HarKonnenD is offline  
Old 03-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #634
Tech Master
 
Grinder's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,857
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Makes me wonder if this would happen to me now that I'm going to race 8th onroad. I wonder how good the OS VZR would do on a nice medium track.
The VZR is pretty good unless the track is huge. Several people at my local track run the Murnan Modified version, and it is fast. Just lacks a lot of the top speed of the Novas. The engine is a screamer with a very linear powerband. Again it is fast, just not the fastest. The Novarossi 2015 pipe with the short conical header really wakes the engine up.
__________________
www.murnanmodified.com
Grinder is offline  
Old 03-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #635
Tech Elite
 
HarKonnenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,024
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default

Sounds good
__________________
Trying to live every day like its the last....
HarKonnenD is offline  
Old 03-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #636
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 265
Default MR4Rs 1st, 2nd & 3rd plus TQ

Phillip Abed TQ'd & Won at the Florida State Series race at Kissimmee RC this weekend. Heavy competition but Phillip with MRX4R, Enneti tires and NR power came out on top!

1-8th Open A Main Round# 5,
Race# 11

________________________Driver___Car#____Laps____R aceTime____Fast
Lap___Behind_
Philip Abed #6 103 30:02.239
16.368
Chuck Moon #8 101 30:14.857
16.911
Ashton Brinson #3 101 30:17.622
17.114 2.765
Paolo Morganti #4 98 30:01.254
16.215
Randy Colvin #10 95 30:05.458
17.353
Jim Sowa #9 95 30:17.066
17.731 11.608
Joaquin DeSoto #1 87 30:00.684
16.639
D.J. Apalaro #2 67 21:31.593
16.770
Ben Griffin #5 43 15:17.057
17.658
Scotty Gray #7 10 2:47.830
16.701
jdesoto is offline  
Old 03-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #637
Tech Fanatic
 
Speedypeterb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pompano Beach FL.
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default

you also forgot to mention Maxy's fuel
__________________
Team Kyosho, Team Epic, IDM Engines, J-Tech racing fuels, Airtronics, Superiorhobbies.com
Speedypeterb is offline  
Old 03-08-2006, 06:21 AM   #638
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 265
Default

Yes and Maxy's fuel. I think atleast half the A-main was running Maxy.
jdesoto is offline  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #639
Tech Master
 
ROBBIE C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sunny Cali race land.
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C
Default Mugen USA

WinterNats 2006 results
ROBERT CARR (KR) 24.2.2006 at 03:10
If you look at the results overall, I think Serpent did amazingly well, especially with a brand new car. Let's do a little numbers game. First, there are 22 A-main positions in both 1/10th and 1/8th classes. Serpent held 10 of them. Which means the rest had to be held by Kyosho, Mugen, and Sheppard. So if all cars and drivers were even, Serpent would have, at best, held 5-6 A-main positions (4 x 5.5 = 22). Serpent grabbed 10. That's double.

Next, in 1/8th Serpent came in with 4 cars, Kyosho 3, Mugen 2, Sheppard 1. So the 960 had a 40 percent chance of winning which in itself is quite an accomplishment. Next, you have 2 Mugen but one of them is driven by Mike Swauger, a 2-time winner of the WinterNats. Swauger losing at the WinNats is like Salven losing at Heemstede. I don't even think Collari could beat Swauger at Fort Meyers. So, without Swauger, you had ONE MRX-4. Imagine Serpent sponsoring a race and only one Serpent ends up in the top 10. I mean it'd be nice to see a 960 on the podium but when I saw 4 in the top 10 I thought, hey, this car can give a pro driver a real shot at the A-main. In this case, at the Fort, a 40 percent chance. Any driver in the A-main can win. If Swauger had been taken out in an accident with Shimo or Campbell, Barry and/or Steven had not used aluminium screws, or Scotty's servo arm had held, how different the results would have been. How many times has Collari started in 7th or 8th at the Worlds and ended up in the number 1 spot?

I'm not saying the Team couldn't have done better in 1/8th. Winning helps, at least psychology. I think there is a saying that says you can't throw a rose on a pile of shit and call it art. Salven admited to some dumb mistakes (rushing the break-in, running out of fuel) while younger drivers use of aluminium screws turned out to be costly for them. Scotty breaking losing a servo level? Is anyone immune from bad luck? What happened to Mike Swauger tat the Worlds? Or Bertin at the WinterNats? Bad luck happens for everyone. But overall, I think Serpent did great.

Lets face it, even if Mugen wins the WinNats or Kyosho takes the Worlds they can't sell the MRX-4 or Evolva for $1000. The market price is $600 or less for a 1/8th car. Sure people like winners but they won't pay a huge premium for an RC race car because everyone knows that it's the driver/mechanic who plays the critical role in getting the car across the line first. I owned an MRX-4 and I won 0 races with it. Instead I got Japlish style instructions and no support from Mugen. My Mugen dominated team members had plenty of time to help me before and after a race but no time during a race. So, I sold it on Ebay and bought a 960. At least I can manage that car myself when I want to not when someone has time to help on race day. I mean if Mike Swauger came with every kit I suppose I could stick with the MRX4. With the 960 I got a book to read on setup. With the MRX-4? I got a sheet of paper. Is that helpful?! Buyers want good clear instructions, a well constructed, quality kit, a way to get help during construction, and support after it's built. AND, they want it at the lowest possible price too. I think the 960 is such a car and Serpent should point that out. Excellent value for the money, clear English instructions, setup book, support site, quality build, etc.

Winning WinterNats would have been nice but it isn't everything. Good luck at your next race and please DON'T RUSH THAT BREAK-IN!

Rob

P.S. Did you look at all the other mains? How many were won by 960's and 710's? Not many can win an A-main race at the WinterNats but how many can win a C, D, E, or F main? If I win a D-main with a 960 do I throw it out and buy an MRX4-R because Swauger won the A-main or do I stick with it because I like winning and believe I can get to the A with my winning car?


MICHAEL SALVEN (NL) 24.2.2006 at 09:07
Hi Rob

thank you really much about your comments. It's true that I was disappointed, but that is not because we did not win, but more that we made so little out of the opportunities. Having 4 cars in the final and ending up with the last 4 places is a disappointment. I probably should have put that aside and see the excellent result in 1/10 scale.
I totally agree with your view, hopefully everybody looks at it like that. I probably also got carried away by the (quite emotional) reaction of Paolo, who is, off course, our distributor, but also a racer who hates to loose...;-).
Again, thanks for the comments, I really appreciate and I will pass it through to evrybody in the company.

Michael

P.S. Next time I will use engines that have been running before...;-)
ROBBIE C is offline  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #640
Tech Master
 
ROBBIE C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sunny Cali race land.
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C
Default Mugen USA

I posted the above on this thread simply because you can reply and make comments on this thread un-like MYTSERPENTN........................
Very one sided story I'm very disappointed in what I read and how that race was protrade.
ROBBIE C is offline  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #641
Tech Elite
 
Carl Giordano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Upper Saddle RIver, NJ
Posts: 2,309
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

I thought this race was over?
__________________
Mugen Racing / OS Engines / KO Propo / Byron Fuels / Schuur Speed Motors / AKA / Bruckner Hobbies / Tamiya M-Chassis / Kyosho / Yokomo / 360v2 Raceway / Cruzin with RC
Carl Giordano is online now  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #642
Tech Master
 
ROBBIE C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sunny Cali race land.
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C
Default Mugen USA

Hello Carl just pointing out something that was braught to my attention.

Last edited by ROBBIE C; 03-09-2006 at 09:19 AM.
ROBBIE C is offline  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #643
Tech Master
 
ROBBIE C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sunny Cali race land.
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C
Default Mugen USA


Last edited by ROBBIE C; 03-09-2006 at 09:20 AM.
ROBBIE C is offline  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #644
Moderator
 
Jpilone's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Very Nice!
Posts: 1,660
Send a message via AIM to Jpilone
Default

i don't understand... Explain this further dude...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBBIE C
WinterNats 2006 results
ROBERT CARR (KR) 24.2.2006 at 03:10
If you look at the results overall, I think Serpent did amazingly well, especially with a brand new car. Let's do a little numbers game. First, there are 22 A-main positions in both 1/10th and 1/8th classes. Serpent held 10 of them. Which means the rest had to be held by Kyosho, Mugen, and Sheppard. So if all cars and drivers were even, Serpent would have, at best, held 5-6 A-main positions (4 x 5.5 = 22). Serpent grabbed 10. That's double.

Next, in 1/8th Serpent came in with 4 cars, Kyosho 3, Mugen 2, Sheppard 1. So the 960 had a 40 percent chance of winning which in itself is quite an accomplishment. Next, you have 2 Mugen but one of them is driven by Mike Swauger, a 2-time winner of the WinterNats. Swauger losing at the WinNats is like Salven losing at Heemstede. I don't even think Collari could beat Swauger at Fort Meyers. So, without Swauger, you had ONE MRX-4. Imagine Serpent sponsoring a race and only one Serpent ends up in the top 10. I mean it'd be nice to see a 960 on the podium but when I saw 4 in the top 10 I thought, hey, this car can give a pro driver a real shot at the A-main. In this case, at the Fort, a 40 percent chance. Any driver in the A-main can win. If Swauger had been taken out in an accident with Shimo or Campbell, Barry and/or Steven had not used aluminium screws, or Scotty's servo arm had held, how different the results would have been. How many times has Collari started in 7th or 8th at the Worlds and ended up in the number 1 spot?

I'm not saying the Team couldn't have done better in 1/8th. Winning helps, at least psychology. I think there is a saying that says you can't throw a rose on a pile of shit and call it art. Salven admited to some dumb mistakes (rushing the break-in, running out of fuel) while younger drivers use of aluminium screws turned out to be costly for them. Scotty breaking losing a servo level? Is anyone immune from bad luck? What happened to Mike Swauger tat the Worlds? Or Bertin at the WinterNats? Bad luck happens for everyone. But overall, I think Serpent did great.

Lets face it, even if Mugen wins the WinNats or Kyosho takes the Worlds they can't sell the MRX-4 or Evolva for $1000. The market price is $600 or less for a 1/8th car. Sure people like winners but they won't pay a huge premium for an RC race car because everyone knows that it's the driver/mechanic who plays the critical role in getting the car across the line first. I owned an MRX-4 and I won 0 races with it. Instead I got Japlish style instructions and no support from Mugen. My Mugen dominated team members had plenty of time to help me before and after a race but no time during a race. So, I sold it on Ebay and bought a 960. At least I can manage that car myself when I want to not when someone has time to help on race day. I mean if Mike Swauger came with every kit I suppose I could stick with the MRX4. With the 960 I got a book to read on setup. With the MRX-4? I got a sheet of paper. Is that helpful?! Buyers want good clear instructions, a well constructed, quality kit, a way to get help during construction, and support after it's built. AND, they want it at the lowest possible price too. I think the 960 is such a car and Serpent should point that out. Excellent value for the money, clear English instructions, setup book, support site, quality build, etc.

Winning WinterNats would have been nice but it isn't everything. Good luck at your next race and please DON'T RUSH THAT BREAK-IN!

Rob

P.S. Did you look at all the other mains? How many were won by 960's and 710's? Not many can win an A-main race at the WinterNats but how many can win a C, D, E, or F main? If I win a D-main with a 960 do I throw it out and buy an MRX4-R because Swauger won the A-main or do I stick with it because I like winning and believe I can get to the A with my winning car?


MICHAEL SALVEN (NL) 24.2.2006 at 09:07
Hi Rob

thank you really much about your comments. It's true that I was disappointed, but that is not because we did not win, but more that we made so little out of the opportunities. Having 4 cars in the final and ending up with the last 4 places is a disappointment. I probably should have put that aside and see the excellent result in 1/10 scale.
I totally agree with your view, hopefully everybody looks at it like that. I probably also got carried away by the (quite emotional) reaction of Paolo, who is, off course, our distributor, but also a racer who hates to loose...;-).
Again, thanks for the comments, I really appreciate and I will pass it through to evrybody in the company.

Michael

P.S. Next time I will use engines that have been running before...;-)
__________________
-Jarrod Pilone
Pro R/C Photographer
http://www.jpsportspics.com
Jpilone is offline  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #645
Tech Master
 
ROBBIE C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sunny Cali race land.
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C
Default

self explanatory
ROBBIE C is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winternats '07 waltuo Georgia Racing 0 02-16-2007 12:20 PM
2006 winternats ae_ntc3 Australian Racing 1 05-07-2006 01:08 AM
Xr-8 At The Winternats SERPENTFREAK69 Nitro On-Road 4 05-31-2005 02:12 PM
2006 Florida Winternats markp27 Nitro On-Road 48 02-21-2005 09:50 AM
Xr-8 At The Winternats SERPENTFREAK69 Nitro On-Road 11 01-05-2005 03:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:46 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net