R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As the head organizer for the Canadian Asphalt Invitational for the past two years in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, I have to disagree with you guys. The first year of our race we paid to fly Barry Baker up to race with us and the second year Associated covered his trip and we antied up for Todd Hodge, from Losi to be with us too. As far as I am concerned it was a fantastic experience for all the guys invoved. Yes Barry and Todd dominated the classes they ran but they were a fantastic wealth of information and help and a pleasure to watch race....and yes some of us did get in their way once or twice on the track...sorry Barry for taking you out as you were lapping me!! and thanks for the U.S. dollar I took off you when you told me I couldn't put my Proceed under a 12.5 second lap

Guys pay thousands of dollars to play golf in Pro-Am tournaments and here, allwe pay is the entry fee. Heats are sorted (for the most part) to driver ability and after a heat or two a re-sort clears up the field. Come on Ted, "are you a real racer if someone pays you to race?"...ask this question of Micheal Schumacher (sp?)

I guess there could be a Factory Class and an Amateur class but it has been my experience that the more we break up classes the fewer racers there are...this guy goes here, that guy goes there etc...soon I am racing by myself.

Personally, I just bought 2 MRX-4's and I am planning on heading down to the GLC this fall and I can't wait to see the fast guys rip it up and have an opportunity to run with them!!! By the way, if anyone has a link to the GLC 2006 race please send it my way!!! [email protected]
Old 01-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #167
Tech Master

That is your opinion.. That works for exhibition races where one, two or three drivers attend a race to give demonstrations on how to drive. Your reason for bringing Barry Baker was not to drive with him but to bring more poeple to the race... Your not worried about quality your concerned with quantity(bring a big name driver in the hopes to have a bigger event)... If you had 200 entries and some how you were faced with a dilema of how you can seperate the different levels of drivers because you as event promoter have caos,, you would re-think your postion.. I am not repeating what they do in Italy just to state my opinion I am saying it because it works.. I know that people enjoy racing with the likes of Barry, Todd or Tossolinni..... That does not make for good racing... Were talking about making these events into serious racing on a more pro level.... I am not refering to club races where the RTR come out to play.... If your events are full of newbies the racing against pros becomes bad racing(although it may be fun for the newbies)..... There has to be a formal organizational structure to allow drivers to mature in the knowledge of setup and polish their driving skills.... If not the frustration will set in and some of the drivers after some time quit and find another hobby...........

The Ft Myers event is a serious race with really good participation... This track frustrates drivers because of the difficulty.. Why dont we make the track easier and have 300 entries because more people would like to participate.. People have to have a goal in these event to shoot for.. If not people will not stay with us but leave because of a lack of interest...

Give Pete at PNP a call so he can have anything you need at Winternats!!!!

PNP Hobbies 321-723-7318

Last edited by rangulo; 01-23-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #168
Tech Elite

And that is your opinion. I have found that when I attended large races; 100 entries or more, I gleened the most knowledge and got the most practice. The top guns were there to help in set-up and offer advice that I otherwise might not learn. Re-sorts stage the feild into driver ability and people of equal caliber get to race together and enjoy watching both the lower and higher mains; the RTR guys aren't running with the Pros

You can try to make your race elitist if you want but it is the regular racer, the guy commited to buying cars, parts, tires and engines, that keep the sport and the hobby alive and I can't think of another sport that the average Joe can not only watch but participate in the same event. Pretty cool I think. And as you say, "People have to have a goal in these event to shoot for.. If not people will not stay with us but leave because of a lack of interest..." I agree totally, the goal is to have fun, do your best, try to win your main and come away smarter and quicker than you were.
John
Old 01-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If the fast time on the track is just say a 12.5, then all the people that can turn consistent 12.5's will run against each other after a resort. People that can't get below a 14.0 won't have to worry about the top level drivers because they won't even be sorted together. So what's the big deal?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #170
Tech Master

That is the difference between a worlds race and a club or regional race... I am in aggreement with you about mingling with the pros does help in an environment where the pros have time to help.. In big races they are focused on winning and not helping... I think big races are not the correct time to take up the time of the guys that are facing a tough competition.. Thats why your race is successful.. You bring a big name driver to up the entries and the relaxed environment allows the Factory drivers to give setup help and driving classes... Here I am referring to the races that foster high levels of racing and competition at all levels not just at one level.... Factory drivers race for a living where amatures do it on their spare time.. Talent alone does not make you a Factory driver... Hard work and talent make the best of best go fast..... You would be hard pressed to name some factory driver that just shows up after not having practiced, and who will win against drivers who spend endless hours and resources training to win...... Your comparing apples and oranges... This is a thread about racing and at a serious event... I am merely talking about those who are serious... If the hobby was a profitable venture and the guys who spend money were after something else other than being the fastest and the best maybe we could turn it into a special olympics where everybody wins no matter at what level... The hobby of racing is a small part because RTR make more money.. There should be a class for the RTR's, Novice, Intermediate, Experts and Factory.....

Give Pete at PNP a call so he can have anything you need at Winternats!!!!

PNP Hobbies 321-723-7318
Old 01-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #171
Tech Apprentice

At the Winternats and many Nationals I have always seen most of the factory drivers and mechanics helping out the regular racers. Serpent led the way in trying to help the average guy, but all of the others have followed. If you didn't get help, then you probably asked at a bad time.

The Winternats (like worlds) qualifiers are always presorted according to driver ability. If someone is much faster or slower than everyone in their qualifier then they will be moved. This creates some seperation and everyone has a chance to do their best. Also, we get to watch the best go at it head to head every round.

Don't be surprised if Adrien and Joel don't do well their first time here. Many have had a rough time at their first Winternats........just ask Collari.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #172
Tech Master

Julian is absolutely correct.. The best driver almost always wins but Ft Myers is deceiving..... It is a very demanding track that has no spots for relaxing.... I love this track... It serprates the men from the boys.....
Rafael
Old 01-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #173
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And Rafeal Being the big Boy , hehe
Old 01-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #174
Tech Master

Yeah Baby!!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:35 PM   #175
Tech Master

Technology fuels... What is that.. Is that for geeks that need an energy boost when they are sleepy at work... Kinda like Redbull!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #176
Tech Adept

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmudd
And that is your opinion. I have found that when I attended large races; 100 entries or more, I gleened the most knowledge and got the most practice. The top guns were there to help in set-up and offer advice that I otherwise might not learn. Re-sorts stage the feild into driver ability and people of equal caliber get to race together and enjoy watching both the lower and higher mains; the RTR guys aren't running with the Pros
How would you get more practice with 100 entries instead of your normal club event?

It doesn't matter how many people are at the race to gain knowledge. I learn something new ever race I attend the gaining of knowledge never stops in this sport.

The way italy divides up the racers is the same way j-lap does it we do it at our club.

You says this all about the serious drivers this topic but you forget where you came from. You started somewhere you were a newcomer to this sport at one time. The reason why most clubs fail is because everyone wants be serious at a club race! come on give me a break. This past season my club at like 10 races I think I raced a total of 3 but I was at all of them. I showed up at the track and as soon as the track was open people came up to me for help i dropped my things and helped them. Thats how you get new people involved and help them get better so eventually they get good enough to race with the more experinced driver. When you have a club race you should be trying to get new people involved in the hobby. So many people start racing and have troubles and can't get help and quit. Club races are for fun most of the people are you buddies you laugh joke and have a good time.

When you go to a national event or something of the caliber its a little different story. (The newer people don't attend them mostly because there afraid.) People go to big events to do well and see how they compare to the other top drivers. Even though a national event is for the serious racer they also have problems and need help to. When your there you are serious but if someone needs help you should still help them. (you come first but when you have time help)

I have gone to the winternats 5 times and several other big races and i have seen alot of things. When was at these races I didn't look so much as who won but as how much they help the customers of there product. Kyosho, Mugen, and Serpent Teams I have seen them all help people when the team members are approached which is good. But have never seen this before and I was very impressed at Glc When i saw the serpent guys not just help people when approached but going and asking people instead of people asking them.

Those are my feelings I know i got side tracked sorry
Old 01-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #177
Tech Master

Dan D is right on the money.. Club races are a place to learn and try things that would be costly at a big race where things can get serious... I also find it hard to believe that a big race you get more practice.... Maybe in some areas where they take up the track after every race there is no practice but I find local races to be the testing ground for setups and practice to get better.. Yes at big races you do learn a lot because the competition is there and you want to do your best.... You have to step up.. That does not happen without some preperation and hands on knowledge.. It would be extremly expensive to a racer to go out and try to learn only at big races...... Dan D having had come to the Winternats the last couple of years will tell you that, its hard to learn anything at this race with out having some background knowledge and experience with extremely high traction racing... Most guys spend most of their time stopping the cars from tipping over rather than making their cars go fast. I had the same problem last year.... It sucks when you need the little bit of help to stop the car from flipping and you cannot make it happen... Racing is tough and it is magnified at events like this...
Old 01-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #178
Tech Master

I still think the upset is coming this year for the Mugen crew... Just stirring it up a little.... My pick for this year is Salven or Baker.... I think!!!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #179
Tech Elite

Dan D,

I am not sure if you misunderstood what I was saying, 'cause I agree totally with everything you said!

What I was saying about more practice at big events had to do with the number of days big events run as opposed to a club race. At a club race i run for 4 hours and at a big event I get to run for 3 days!

John
Old 01-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #180
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmudd
Dan D,

I am not sure if you misunderstood what I was saying, 'cause I agree totally with everything you said!

What I was saying about more practice at big events had to do with the number of days big events run as opposed to a club race. At a club race i run for 4 hours and at a big event I get to run for 3 days!

John
Ic but it looks like your talking about electric. In gas I get more track time at my club race then I would at a 3 day race just my experince.
Closed Thread