Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abi
The G4 5020XX still has life!

Just looking on the TM site and the G4D details are up. Coded as 502090 (i think 90?) this is the gas drift machine(tragic it has fallen to such lows)

Looks like our old favorite except it is a single speed and pullstart with the side belt moved out, other than that its a G4JR. The 4 wheel discs look.. hmmm... interesting.

So all you QLD Aust guys, do you think this could be slipped into the pullstart class with some upgrades (well,... a lot of upgrades, swaybars, 2 speed etc)?
You can run any chassis according to Brendale's Gas Tourer rules, and specific engines.... see
This Link

do I think its a good idea to covert the drift edition? no. Just go for The G4JS and an OS TG.. engine (good budget setup)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
Does anyone know of a Lipo of at least 1100 mAh that will fit the G4RS 08?

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Hey lars, come and see me at the next sunday meeting (brendale) I'd be happy to show you what i've done with the G4S; I'm running an LRP 1700mah receiver battery and a 6v 5Amp regulator (mounted on top of the transponder) The battery is held down by the fuel tank and double sided servo tape... you have to cut out the strip of CF between the existing battery mount and the tank... If you search this thread you should see some examples with photos from a few years back..
Old 06-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Default no chance D

Originally Posted by abi
The G4 5020XX still has life!

Just looking on the TM site and the G4D details are up. Coded as 502090 (i think 90?) this is the gas drift machine(tragic it has fallen to such lows)

Looks like our old favorite except it is a single speed and pullstart with the side belt moved out, other than that its a G4JR. The 4 wheel discs look.. hmmm... interesting.

So all you QLD Aust guys, do you think this could be slipped into the pullstart class with some upgrades (well,... a lot of upgrades, swaybars, 2 speed etc)?
Wouldnt stand a chance against the EDAM and the RB pullstart. Its a controvesial class that bases itself on a ONE WAY bearing and working pullstart.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthony_ling
Hey lars, come and see me at the next sunday meeting (brendale) I'd be happy to show you what i've done with the G4S; I'm running an LRP 1700mah receiver battery and a 6v 5Amp regulator (mounted on top of the transponder) The battery is held down by the fuel tank and double sided servo tape... you have to cut out the strip of CF between the existing battery mount and the tank... If you search this thread you should see some examples with photos from a few years back..
Many thanks for you help Anthony; I found the photos and I'll come and see you if you will be there on Sunday.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 PM
abi
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blis
Wouldnt stand a chance against the EDAM and the RB pullstart. Its a controvesial class that bases itself on a ONE WAY bearing and working pullstart.
Yeh, those EDAMs absolutely own the class at the moment, they walk away from the Vone S3's at my club.

I'd really like to run this class but TM dont do a factory pullstart car, that is untill the G4D came along. I was just thinking I could order the various G4D spares and convert either my G4S or my G4S RTR (or my G4+ Evo). But i think its too much of a stretch suggesting my conversion is a G4D and I'd get booted at tech inspection.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abi
Yeh, those EDAMs absolutely own the class at the moment, they walk away from the Vone S3's at my club.

I'd really like to run this class but TM dont do a factory pullstart car, that is untill the G4D came along. I was just thinking I could order the various G4D spares and convert either my G4S or my G4S RTR (or my G4+ Evo). But i think its too much of a stretch suggesting my conversion is a G4D and I'd get booted at tech inspection.
Team Magic has become the new HPI with catering for those who just want to bash around...

Guess in reality it is an easier sell then having to update stuff all the time for racers!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Default G4Distress

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Team Magic has become the new HPI with catering for those who just want to bash around...

Guess in reality it is an easier sell then having to update stuff all the time for racers!
Anyone interested in seeing the speed of the Pullstarts. I have some 2009 footage at Moorebank

Bundy I think they are shifting into other areas with the 502x chassis to maintain some support for the rest of us running the G4+/EVO/WC.

The 504x seems to be failing in popularity here specially as the distributor also landed the Xray. Im still running the 502 and cant see myself changing in the near future. We've still been improving times though of late Ive had some bad luck with clutches as we use more powerful engines.

The red shoes are wearing fast and warping. Too much gap?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone interested in seeing the speed of the Pullstarts. I have some 2009 footage at Moorebank

Bundy I think they are shifting into other areas with the 502x chassis to maintain some support for the rest of us running the G4+/EVO/WC.

The 504x seems to be failing in popularity here specially as the distributor also landed the Xray. Im still running the 502 and cant see myself changing in the near future. We've still been improving times though of late Ive had some bad luck with clutches as we use more powerful engines.

The red shoes are wearing fast and warping. Too much gap?
what spring ? i know my black ones made the shoe wear badly uneven. look at the spring, and see if its flat, or sits on an angle. if its angled, so will tension and allow one side of the shoe to touch first, hence the uneven wear.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Re: Clutch!

I also had uneven wear on my G4+ Evo clutch only after about 30min or so off track time.

Blis:

I was watching a Team Magic car at Wynnum on Sunday and it was difficult to drive compared to other brand cars in the Gas Tourers class. I can't comment on the 2009 edition, but on the whole i believe Team Magic cars are harder to drive then some other brands on the market.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default Patto / Bundy

Really good point Patto... Ive been using the same spring for a while, it was an orange TM spring and that's something I hadn't considered and makes a lot of sense.

Bundy.. I had a really bad clutch day a fortnight ago.. two new clutch shoes mangled and deformed. I assumed I didnt tighten the clutch nut enough first time. Then second time I found the clutch bell screw was loose.

After patto's post, Im now thinking the clutch may have vibrated them off.

Ive ordered a variety of shoes this time, but in hindsight I'd had a really good long run with the red shoes... so good food for thought, tks Patto.

We have now switched running gear over to the "race" G4+ and will be on a long term nitro prep for the state titles. Hoping with a long bumpy run lately, we might get a clear run with more prep. Guy even ground the handle off the TM !! We've also resorted to same springs front and rear and the car seems a lot better behaved on TM Turquoise. Will take some pics soon!

Been using a Sirio lately, found that it doesnt like a lean top and prefers a lean bottom and a little more idle. Also will be running RB fuel as a change from AT racing, so far reports from others are good and the decision is more due to wanting a brand name fuel rather than get caught up in the mischief of mixing your own. Dont even want to get near that argument up in these parts.

Ive also ordered a CRIMPER for servo wires and connectors. Hopefully leaving little to chance. Good video of how to crimp them: http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ools/crimp_dx/

Patto, Queenslands in August.. If you want to have pickup from airport, free accom, free feed and transport.. Heaps of room here and we'd be honoured! Round two of tasman cup with a few Kiwis coming over and mention of the Jovanovics to be there too. Hopefully a few of the NSW boys will attend with Snowy.

Jeff's prepping for the worlds, and driving a lot of 200mm with his velox. He's over 1 second faster than all of us with remarkable consistancy.

Bundy.. hope you've marked the QLD's IC into calendar... no excuses, the more the merrier, the better the track and would be nice to have a small crew of TM drivers to support each other!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Default Bayside vs brendale for TM G4

I also had uneven wear on my G4+ Evo clutch only after about 30min or so off track time.

Blis:

I was watching a Team Magic car at Wynnum on Sunday and it was difficult to drive compared to other brand cars in the Gas Tourers class. I can't comment on the 2009 edition, but on the whole i believe Team Magic cars are harder to drive then some other brands on the market.
Im almost certain that running at Wynnum requires down stops and soft springs a mate from Sunny Coast ran PINK TM springs there and it seemed to be the smoothest car on track. Ive watched a friend setup a Mugen to softest springs and it still bucked and kicked whereas the M Sherman's car was floating everywhere.

Wynnum is a track where setup changes are paramount. By default everyone disconnects swaybars to create independent suspension, stand up shocks and soften up. Problem is that you bottom out (hence downstop), the curbs are killers and the dynabolted rubber at end of main straight has devoured many an arm

Another thing Ive found at Wynnum is the engine tuning... Ive run a very lean top and richer bottom as top end is less than 1 second and we've managed to keep up with Jason Dorn down the back straight (Unheard of for us). Ive then gone to Brendale with same tuning and the engine would lean out 1/2 down the back straight.

For me, tracks like Wynnum require a lot of familiarity and to be honest, I prefer tracks like Moorebank and Brendale with some fluidity. I dare say that if you want to explore the potential of your TM, bring it to Brendale on a Sunday when we and Anthony Ling rock up, Im sure you'll feel a lot more fulfilled with the performance of the magic as it's very good infield. Wynnum is quite bumpy and kerbs are vicious and imho not a good place to measure performance unless you know the track intimately.

Having said that.. Jeff Hamon broke the track record on the first time he visited... so yeah we've (me and my sons) still have a LONG way to go, but we're getting there.

Our best run at brendale for a long time.. Rich Sirio Engne, I needed a FINISH!! See Jeff Hamon's times. He rocks!!

http://www.qrccra.org.au/Portals/5/R...A%20Final.html

PS: Yes I admit the tuning window is narrow!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Patto, Queenslands in August.. If you want to have pickup from airport, free accom, free feed and transport.. Heaps of room here and we'd be honoured! Round two of tasman cup with a few Kiwis coming over and mention of the Jovanovics to be there too. Hopefully a few of the NSW boys will attend with Snowy.
man im Chuffed for you to make such an irrisitable offer. i just spent a truckload in the last few days in motors for the nats. so very tempting, but i just cant do it, but thanks very much for the offer, its hard to get time off work, and have organised more time than usual for Nats. August is the month i get older every year, so id love to run brendale one time, about the only one i havent as yet. just made the offer harder , haha Thanks man. i hope you understand though i just cant make it this year. maybe next ?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default Cheers Patto.. I hear ya!

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
man im Chuffed for you to make such an irrisitable offer. i just spent a truckload in the last few days in motors for the nats. so very tempting, but i just cant do it, but thanks very much for the offer, its hard to get time off work, and have organised more time than usual for Nats. August is the month i get older every year, so id love to run brendale one time, about the only one i havent as yet. just made the offer harder , haha Thanks man. i hope you understand though i just cant make it this year. maybe next ?
Yeah I do buddy... who do you think is uber bummed he cant make the nats in SA.. Much the same reasons... Oh well, there's next year.. offer is an indefinite standing order!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah I do buddy... who do you think is uber bummed he cant make the nats in SA.. Much the same reasons... Oh well, there's next year.. offer is an indefinite standing order!
eye eye !
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 AM
abi
Tech Adept

Blis:

Hi Andrew, what you are saying about the TM's being difficult to drive is kind of right, though I found a huge improvment when I stepped into the RS09 (yours as a matter of fact!). I really like these 09's, very predictable and huge adjustability. Your old (new) 09 which I purchased last year has been a gem, won me last championships outlaw class and placed me 5th or so in Pro tourer (both PDNR). I run it out of the box with a softer rear spring and thats it! I now have 2 more 09's and a heap of K Factory parts so more building is ahead of me. But back to the 5020XX's, I have a soft spot for these and still have all of mine, G4SRTR, G4S, G4+Evo but agree they are more difficult to push hard and punch out the lap times. My RTR won me a lot of races in the 'Kit" class here against Vone S3's and would you believe the EDAM RTR! The front diff made it far more predictable on turn-in and generally easier to place on the track. PDNR is low grip car park with prep consisting of blower to remove dust and tiny gravel from surface. Its sad to see but the TM glory days are fading, 06 and 07 seem so long ago and some good competition has appeared in that time. TM seem to have a poorer relationship with distributors in general compared to other manufacturers so long lasting business cases (in global regions) seem to collapse and so distributor supported drivers dont materialise and as such the product does not get a leg up in the regions, eg US, Aust, etc. UK and Italy seem to be going OK but what does that mean to us here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.