Team Magic G4

Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Local racer
I here that Tm might have found a mainstream distributor for there onroad products in the Us I will no more soon.
Trinity again????
Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

any word of the new US distributor?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Another New Car??

Another new car?..............again?.........and in six months again.........and in six months again..........and $400.00 + $400.00 + $400.00 = to broke to race.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RayJ
Another new car?..............again?.........and in six months again.........and in six months again..........and $400.00 + $400.00 + $400.00 = to broke to race.
When you don't know where you are talking about, don't comment!
The G4+ was a limited edition and very expensive, so only a few people have that car. The G4RS is a les luxury edition of the G4+ and a logical evolution of the G4S. TM isn't releasing new cars every six months but only every 1 or 2 years.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default huh??

Originally Posted by Thybaut
When you don't know where you are talking about, don't comment!
The G4+ was a limited edition and very expensive, so only a few people have that car. The G4RS is a les luxury edition of the G4+ and a logical evolution of the G4S. TM isn't releasing new cars every six months but only every 1 or 2 years.
HHmmmmmm....let me see.
In a space of as little as about 2.5 years it's been:
G4E
G4E+
Mongoose
G4S
G4+
G4SR

Now here in the states...........there probably have been more so called exclusive distributors then there have been cars. When you start counting all the k factory upgrades you needed with these cars........the money I wasted supporting all these versions and upgrades was ridiculous.

That's was my ACTUAL experience.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

not yet......bummer.....
Old 11-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

HHmmmmmm....let me see.
In a space of as little as about 2.5 years it's been:
G4E
G4E+
Mongoose
G4S
G4+
G4SR

Now here in the states...........there probably have been more so called exclusive distributors then there have been cars. When you start counting all the k factory upgrades you needed with these cars........the money I wasted supporting all these versions and upgrades was ridiculous.

That's was my ACTUAL experience.
well the G4S has been around for a while now, like maybe 1.5 years.
the mongoose was before that. but it was released as an upgraded car with some Kfactory hop ups as std. now do you have a G4S ?
if so, are you running the ED trans ? Speed shot front end ? any of the new rear swaybar setup ? if your answer is yes to these, there is no real point to buy the new car, or if someone has the G4+ like myself. i was alarmed when i saw the new car , yeah i admit that. but now more info has been released about the G4RS, i will stick with the G4+ for some time to come. now when i run out of my spares i have now, i may look at breathing new life into it. but i cant see the benefits for a G4+ owner , or a G4S owner who is running the ED , Speedshot, nad new rear swaybar, to upgrade to the G4RS. this car is to update the STD G4S KIT !!! like many other manufacturers, they have slipped in an R about the place RR but i will say there are some neat updates to even the G4+ that is on this car, but not good enough for me to rush and buy it. but if your old car is getting a litle old and thrashed out, then this is the perfect kit to be getting, thats for sure
Old 11-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default Team Magic

After I ran there cars for two years, I gave up on supporting there products for several reasons. 1) Poor quality control in final car kits 2) Re-releasing editions of cars that had design flaws right from the start. 3) The amount of upgrades needed to bring current versions up to date. 4) Absolutely no loyalty to distributor or dealer networks in the US. That translates to bad customer support.

G4E
Mongoose
-These cars had a swing rack steering system that were impossible to keep working properly. They developed major slop with just afew races. Replacement was a real pain. All the other companies had steering systems that had the axial type steering systems that worked, and had ackerman adjustment.
-The mongoose was released with a right side brace that had the holes drilled improperly. The factory never released a direct replacement part for the car.
The result is a Tweaked car. You needed to shim the top deck in order to get the tweak out of the car.
-Fuel tanks for these car were also out of spec. Some as much as 5ml. How do I know? I got two of them. They also were designed with so many interior support ribs that the thing was impossible to fill properly w/o air pockets.
-The mongoose was also released with a rear blade type rear sway bar that does not work properly. Most of the racers who used this sway bar had to take it off because there was no consistency.
(these are MAJOR problems if you try and race the car competitively)

G4S........after my experiences with this car. I had enough. Especially after it's problems.
-The car was released with an outdated internal ratio(2.55 internal ratio) The other mfr's reduced internal ratio to 2.05. The fix was an after market transmission kit. Cost $100.00 This is when they already KNEW the problem.
-Car released with the previous fuel tanks that were still out of spec. and had fill problems previously mentioned.
-Again they released the car with the blade type rear sway bar that doesn't work.
-Two different entire clutch systems, and all the money involved in supporting them as well.
-Car released with outdated rear suspension geometry. A geometry that was originally designed for RUBBER tires. No roll center adjustment. If you raced on a hi bite super flat track the car was fast. Go to a race with afew bumps and your off the pace.
-Car released with outdated front & rear suspension. All the car companies came out with longer suspension arms. The longer suspension travel greatly improved bumpy track performance.
-Braking system wildly inconsistant. You either had no brakes or were full on.
-Car almost 80 grams overweight.

These are all my personal experiences, and the fix-its that I needed to do to make the car competitive. My wallet suffered.

Let's hope all these things with the new G4SR have been fixed. I hope so for all the guys that are looking to buy it. I know so many of you have brand loyalty and that's great. I didn't come on here to bash this product. I know it sounds that way, but I'm not. It's more of my first hand experience with there cars, and my own wallet. I'm just saying LOOK HARD at the cars you choose to buy. Look at all the cars on the market....... make comparisons to what the other guys are doing......and make an informed choice. Choose based on total car costs, upgrades needed to make a car competitive, suspension geometry and part support. That's all I'm trying to say here. Get all the specs on this new car or version of the G4. Then make a choice.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

After I ran there cars for two years, I gave up on supporting there products for several reasons. 1) Poor quality control in final car kits 2) Re-releasing editions of cars that had design flaws right from the start. 3) The amount of upgrades needed to bring current versions up to date. 4) Absolutely no loyalty to distributor or dealer networks in the US. That translates to bad customer support.

G4E
Mongoose
-These cars had a swing rack steering system that were impossible to keep working properly. They developed major slop with just afew races. Replacement was a real pain. All the other companies had steering systems that had the axial type steering systems that worked, and had ackerman adjustment.
-The mongoose was released with a right side brace that had the holes drilled improperly. The factory never released a direct replacement part for the car.
The result is a Tweaked car. You needed to shim the top deck in order to get the tweak out of the car.
-Fuel tanks for these car were also out of spec. Some as much as 5ml. How do I know? I got two of them. They also were designed with so many interior support ribs that the thing was impossible to fill properly w/o air pockets.
-The mongoose was also released with a rear blade type rear sway bar that does not work properly. Most of the racers who used this sway bar had to take it off because there was no consistency.
(these are MAJOR problems if you try and race the car competitively)

G4S........after my experiences with this car. I had enough. Especially after it's problems.
-The car was released with an outdated internal ratio(2.55 internal ratio) The other mfr's reduced internal ratio to 2.05. The fix was an after market transmission kit. Cost $100.00 This is when they already KNEW the problem.
-Car released with the previous fuel tanks that were still out of spec. and had fill problems previously mentioned.
-Again they released the car with the blade type rear sway bar that doesn't work.
-Two different entire clutch systems, and all the money involved in supporting them as well.
-Car released with outdated rear suspension geometry. A geometry that was originally designed for RUBBER tires. No roll center adjustment. If you raced on a hi bite super flat track the car was fast. Go to a race with afew bumps and your off the pace.
-Car released with outdated front & rear suspension. All the car companies came out with longer suspension arms. The longer suspension travel greatly improved bumpy track performance.
-Braking system wildly inconsistant. You either had no brakes or were full on.
-Car almost 80 grams overweight.

These are all my personal experiences, and the fix-its that I needed to do to make the car competitive. My wallet suffered.

Let's hope all these things with the new G4SR have been fixed. I hope so for all the guys that are looking to buy it. I know so many of you have brand loyalty and that's great. I didn't come on here to bash this product. I know it sounds that way, but I'm not. It's more of my first hand experience with there cars, and my own wallet. I'm just saying LOOK HARD at the cars you choose to buy. Look at all the cars on the market....... make comparisons to what the other guys are doing......and make an informed choice. Choose based on total car costs, upgrades needed to make a car competitive, suspension geometry and part support. That's all I'm trying to say here. Get all the specs on this new car or version of the G4. Then make a choice.
that sums it up i am glad i have the right chassis 4 me now
Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default disappointment

i've been away due to having a newborn in June, and just had time to browse through what's been happening here and there.. reading the last 5 pages or so, i feel like i just received a swift kick to the nuts.

i knew trinity and TM thing wouldn't last.. i mean what were they thinking? didn't they learn it the first time around? and now i hear about raceday hobbies and TM did not work out... and that many G4 drivers are taking their cars off the track in concern for lack of places to get new parts...

and TM is releasing an updated kit??? G4RS??

i was too poor to get the limited edition G4+, so i was planning on updating to G4+ specs piece by piece over time, and now a redesigned kit? now i know it may just be an update to the G4S which i have, but now i am confused.. do i want to update to G4+ spec or the G4RS spec? they have different suspension geometry.. different length rear arms... different chassis layout.. AND WHERE THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GET UPDATE PARTS?

see, i used to run a frankenstein G4, composed of the original G4 components, G4 evo, mongoose or what the hell ever that was.. with K factory everything... and was doing fine.. racing competitively, on pace with the serpents and mugens.. and earlier this year i sold off the MTX4 and 720 i was running on the side to update to the G4S. Before even running the car, installed the speedshot bulkhead, ED tranny.. then the baby came, so i ran the G4S maybe about 5 times. didn't even finish dialing it in.. i regret now a little selling off the serpent and the mugen... and now i am reconsidering a change to a different chassis.. as if i can't get replacement parts, the car is unraceable. i am not what you would call an 'expert' driver, and i do bump into walls and break things from time to time, so i need a place to get parts.. what are us US drivers to do? order directly from taiwan?

i do have a FT NTC3.. maybe i'll just race that...

like i said, a swift kick to the nuts.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

so the RS is to replace the S?
personally, if u've got most hopups done on yr S, i think it would be a better car than the RS...

i heard from my LHS that we could convert the S to RS by using the RS chasis plate and rear bulkhead assembly. in this way isn't it better since the hopups done on the S could be transferred to the RS!!!???

on a side note, personally i would prefer the + to RS, + having most hopups done and better parts.

side track abit: stock S transmission is 19/51, 24/46, there's a 5 teeth difference between the 2 gears, do we have to maintain this 5 teeth difference if we change the gearing? e.g. can i use 18/52 with 24/46 (6 teeth difference)? or 18/52 with 23/45?

Old 11-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

i use the 18/52 and the 23/47 and swap off to the 51/46...work's great...

and i use 20t brake w/19 side and 19 front..
Old 11-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by s10dude
i use the 18/52 and the 23/47 and swap off to the 51/46...work's great...

and i use 20t brake w/19 side and 19 front..
ya, yours is still following standard of 5 teeth diference, so shouldnt be any problems...

any issues (gear meshing) if we're to use 6 or 7 teeth differences?
like pinion: 18/23 to 18/24 or 18/25, etc...? spur: 52/47 to 51/47 or 52/46, etc...?
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by keavze
ya, yours is still following standard of 5 teeth diference, so shouldnt be any problems...

any issues (gear meshing) if we're to use 6 or 7 teeth differences?
like pinion: 18/23 to 18/24 or 18/25, etc...? spur: 52/47 to 51/47 or 52/46, etc...?
We messed around with the 6 tooth split for a while but it puts a bigger strain on the driveline during the gear change as the engine goes from very high RPM to quite low rpm (relatively speaking) so it's like trying to stop the clutch bell with a gearbox. As you could imagine, the second gear spur doesn't last very long.

If you do go to a 6 tooth split on the spurs, keep a 6 tooth split on the pinions to keep the gear mesh correct. You may be able to mess around with the type 2 spurs to see which ones you could mix and match which I haven't had a chance to do yet.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z00M
We messed around with the 6 tooth split for a while but it puts a bigger strain on the driveline during the gear change as the engine goes from very high RPM to quite low rpm (relatively speaking) so it's like trying to stop the clutch bell with a gearbox. As you could imagine, the second gear spur doesn't last very long.

If you do go to a 6 tooth split on the spurs, keep a 6 tooth split on the pinions to keep the gear mesh correct. You may be able to mess around with the type 2 spurs to see which ones you could mix and match which I haven't had a chance to do yet.
thanks for yr feedback, appreciated.
the track here is quite tight but with quite a long sweeper straights; that's why I needed pickup n speed.
if I were to maintain the standard 5 teeth; what do u suggest?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.