R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 AM   #1411
Tech Adept

Default New G4S

Today was mt first day with my new G4S. It's going to take me awhile to get used to a car so responsive. It handles great!!!!! Unfortunatly my old car pushed a lot so that is what I am used to. Turned the steering down from 95% to 70% with the same amount of steering as my old car. I tended to turn in early because of that so I hit quite a few things until my timing was in sync with the car. Wth all the hits nothing broke. I was a little concered because people were complaining about the steering rod ends comming out or getting out of adjustment. I had none of this happen. I would expect when I get completly used to the car I should pick up a lap.Things that are completly new to me are centax/UFO clutches and belts. Everything worked flawlessly clutch, 2-speed, steering, car is durable also. the only complaint is I cant seem to find a braking sweet spot either not enough or to much brake. Well it was my first day with a new car if that was the only problem I guess that was a good day.Anyway, I am now a (TM/G4S cheerleader)
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #1412
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to munrath

Holeshot - Congrats on the new ride. The stock breakpads do fade quickly. I just installed the K-Factory ones and will keep you posted once I've tried them.

Mark

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing
munrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #1413
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot
Today was mt first day with my new G4S. It's going to take me awhile to get used to a car so responsive. It handles great!!!!! Unfortunatly my old car pushed a lot so that is what I am used to. Turned the steering down from 95% to 70% with the same amount of steering as my old car. I tended to turn in early because of that so I hit quite a few things until my timing was in sync with the car.
Your old car wasn't an FW05 ? 'cos I had this very same thing, quick turn in and belts to slow the car
Once you find that sweet spot you will not look back.
As munrath says, install the K-factory pads and possibly the K-factory disk, it cures all the brake fade and give it more feel.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #1414
Tech Elite

Ray finishes in the top 5 A-main for Open fuel. Looks like Dennis and Brian had some issues. Congrats guys!!

Mark

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing
Old 06-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #1415
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am thinking of getting a Lola body, will the TM body fit on G4S with stock front shock tower ? I have the front bumper plates from old V-1RR, just not sure if the TM Lola will fit without using the shock tower from the convertion set
Old 06-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #1416
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker
I am thinking of getting a Lola body, will the TM body fit on G4S with stock front shock tower ? I have the front bumper plates from old V-1RR, just not sure if the TM Lola will fit without using the shock tower from the convertion set
I just put a Yokomo Lola (the one in my previously posted pic) on my G4s and not only is it a nice body, but one of the benefits is that the dimples at the front of the body line up perfectly for where the G4s body post are. Just one less thing to worry about.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #1417
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Took my first run with my upgraded G4s this weekend at a practice event at our local permanent on-road track.

Beautiful!!!!

The stock set up for the G4s was perfect. Heres the changes I noticed from my Mongoose.

-I used to run very little caster (all clips behind the upper arm), but I found that with this car, I had way too much initial turn in, but not enough on power/mid corner steering. So, I went to the manual recommended set up and put 2mm behind the upper arm. This took away the oversteer going into the corners and gave me the perfect amount of mid corner/on power steering.

-The car turned equally both ways! Yippe! LOL My Mongoose turned great one way(to the right...the heavy side) but not nearly as well to the pipe side. But thats all gone now. With a transponder mounted, the car has perfect balance and turns predictably to both sides.

-Freq. changes weren't nearly as tough as I thought they'd be. Since I now realise the receiver tray drops down out of the bottom. I do however...have to watch my reciever. Heres why...I use a Novak XXL, and the crystal slides in from the rear. Once I started running my G4s, the vibration from the engine actually caused the crystal to vibrate out! Which lead to some glitches first then to a run away car! I fixed this by sticking a piece strong servo tape over the crystal hole. Problem solved...at least until I buy a Spectrum system.

I was very happy with the handling of the car and with the car's reaction to changes.

This is what I ran with the excellent results: (*note* this set up is with Mongoose shock towers)

front:
-shock position: inside upper/outside lower
-shock oil: 55wt
-shock springs: Tamiya short white
-toe in/out: 0+/-
-sway bar: flat
-caster: 2mm behind upper arm
-ride height: 5mm
-one way/solid axle: one-way
-Tires: Twister 40shore (full new height)

rear:
-shock position: middle upper/outside lower
-shock oil: 55wt
-shock springs: Tamiya short blue
-toe in: 2 degree each side
-upper arm position: inside top hole/ball stud top hole
-rear diff: kit diff oil
-sway bar: flat
-ride height: 5mm
-Tires: Twister 37shore (full new height)

Misc:
-clutch: Mongoose clutch...not UFO
-fuel: Trinity Platinum 30%
-engine: OS 12TR R-Spec
-pipe: RD logics legal pipe
-gearing: 1st 19/51, 2nd 24/46
-body: Yokomo Lola
-car weight: 1715 w/body
Old 06-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #1418
Tech Elite

Darkseid,

I'm glad the 1st outage was a succesfull one. Look for many more to come.

Mark

Races for 2015:
Old 06-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #1419
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to MechanicJon

For anyone interested in viewing a few pictures from the Sedan Nats and seeing the Team Magic guys representing the G4S. Sedan Nats 2006 Crystal Park Raceway

I have some pretty good video. As soon as I get it converted to digital. I'll upload it and post a link.

Last edited by MechanicJon; 06-19-2006 at 05:22 PM.
MechanicJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #1420
Tech Elite

Nice pics

Races for 2015:
Old 06-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #1421
Tech Elite

Dennis - You have PM buddy..

Congrats on a great weekend!!

Races for 2015:
Old 06-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #1422
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

problem with front suspension:

does anyone else have this issue on this car, my right side travels further down then my left side, even if i put the roll bar travel equal and the droop screws all the way out
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #1423
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to MechanicJon

Make sure the the 2 halfs of the sway bar are pushed together far enough. If the ball on the one side of the sway is not far enough into the cup of the other it will cause it.
MechanicJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #1424
Tech Regular

Default Many thanks to my team mates at sedan nats.

Special thanks to Dennis, Brian and Dave for a really great experience at the nats. All of us really worked well together as a team to get the most out of the car. There is just no secrets between all of us and we all worked collectively as a team to get the most out of the car. Dennis again worked tirelessly as team leader to do whatever he needed to do to make our race weekend work. He really is one one of the most unselfish guys I have ever met.

I really enjoyed watching Brian "wheel" a car. Brian I know why your a previous world champion, and it's a pleasure to have you on the team. Your car input and driving tips have helped me out alot! Thanks to turning me on to Tornado fuel...........that stuff puts out some pomies!! I was really happy with it! You and your Dad are also great to spend time with!

We learned so much about the car in just afew days, and on a brand new race track to us. The G4S is for real!!! It's so easy to drive, and we're getting it dialed! I look forward to all of our future races together.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:26 AM   #1425
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Congratulations to RayJ, Dennis, Brian, and David! You guys did very well in the recent roar nats. We are very proud of you guys! We will get them next time - maybe in the worlds in australia

Xtreme RC Hobbies
Philippines
XTREMERCHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote