R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #1306
Regional Moderator

From my opinion Mugen shock is better, I just dont like the G4S shock's bladder.
Btw, Im using Yokomo SS Shock with RS piston with very good result.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #1307
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

would i be able to mount mtx-4 shocks on the g4s? or whats the cheapest way to make them better?

also the steering servo is it still tucked in the middle in front of the fuel tank and hard to work on? or has it been changed?
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #1308
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
also the steering servo is it still tucked in the middle in front of the fuel tank and hard to work on? or has it been changed?
No, the servo is still in the same place. And actually, I would say the G4s seems harder to work on. The battery in sandwiched between the upper and lower deck(where as it was 2 screws away from dropping out before), the reciever is buried and freq. changes don't look fun at all(where as it was off the side of the chassis and easy to reach before)

So if your looking for easier maintainence, it aint here. One the plus side, the new positions for the items is much better for performance.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #1309
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Does anybody think it would be worth buying a mongoose for spare parts for the G4S ?.....now a new mongoose kit is like 170 bucks ....would it be worth picking one up for all the extra parts....are they interchangable like clutch, shock shafts, shocks, pulleys, shock towers, upper and lower a-arms, universals and on and on......it would be nice to pick up enough spare parts to build another car in one box.....or a I missing something that would not make it worth it?........let me know what you guys think
SCUBA STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #1310
Regional Moderator

Since I just upgraded, I have a good idea whats different. And I would say that depending on what parts cost, it may be worth it to get a Mongoose for spares.

Heres some of the breakable items that are shared between the two cars:

-Arms
-Hubs
-Fuel tank
-universals
-body mounts
-bulkheads
-shocks(including shafts, pistons, etc...)
-hinge pins

I mean, there so many shared components its almost easier to list the different stuff.

The different items like the UFO clutch, new upper deck, and chassis aren't exactly stuff you need spares of anyway.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #1311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
I got my Mongoose converted. And I must say I am very impressed. I put the car on the balancing pegs after I was finished and it had a pretty much perfect left/right balance.

Now that I see the rear belt tensioner up close, its design is simply brilliant. I mean, as little as an 1/8 of a turn can really change the tension on the rear belt. The new steering system is very nice. I love the new battery position, brings proper balance and the included wire set makes it easy to get everything set up cleanly.

Quick question, does the new chassis lengthen the car at the front end? I ask because my previously perfect fitting Mongoose body is now a little odd fitting at the front. I had to lengthen the front body holes slightly and the tires are a little more forward than they were before.

Just wondering....

*edit* Just compared my old Mongoose chassis to the new G4s chassis. It certainly doesn't look like anthing has changed length wise, but man, something certainly seems different about the way my body mounted.

Can't wait to get it on the track. I should be able to give it a test this weekend end. No real racing unfortunately, but at least I can try it out.
The rear body mounts are in a different position to the Mongoose. This is why your body is different. I had to redrill the rear holes to use my old body.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #1312
Tech Master

Quote:
does the G4S compare closely to the MTX-4?

I know the MTX-4 has the shock setup that resembles the MRX-4, but is the G4S shock setup the same as the Mongoose or have they changed it? and does it perform closely to a MTX-4?
The shocks on the G4S are hard coated where the previous ones were only anodized.

For best performance, the standard bladders work really well, as long as you glue them to the eyelets to prevent them from 'breathing' as they tend to just turn inside out.

I have also used the mugen shock bladders glued to the eyelets and trimmed to size to good effect also.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #1313
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00M
The rear body mounts are in a different position to the Mongoose. This is why your body is different. I had to redrill the rear holes to use my old body.
That can't be the case for me, I only upgraded, not got a full G4s. The shock towers and all of that remained the same on my car.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #1314
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
would i be able to mount mtx-4 shocks on the g4s? or whats the cheapest way to make them better?

hard to work on G4S ? I don't think so because it is so reliable that I don't need to change anythig on the radio tray.

the servo still in same position. the only need of a lot of quick release on a car is a car that are either frafgile or need too much change to suit a track. G4S are neither
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #1315
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
That can't be the case for me, I only upgraded, not got a full G4s. The shock towers and all of that remained the same on my car.
Then your old chassis must have been tweaked!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #1316
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

how much does the g4/mongoose (they are one in the same correct) weigh?

thanks Jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:07 AM   #1317
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUBA STEVE
Does anybody think it would be worth buying a mongoose for spare parts for the G4S ?.....now a new mongoose kit is like 170 bucks ....would it be worth picking one up for all the extra parts....are they interchangable like clutch, shock shafts, shocks, pulleys, shock towers, upper and lower a-arms, universals and on and on......it would be nice to pick up enough spare parts to build another car in one box.....or a I missing something that would not make it worth it?........let me know what you guys think

Yes, it is worth buying a Mongoose for parts. I'm glad I did because so far, I've used 1/3 of the parts already. I pre-assemble some parts, like the shocks and hubs, so that if I need it between races, I have easy access to it. I've already busted two original shock pistons where the cups connect, and having spare parts on hand was a life saver. Even if the clutch is not UFO, it still a nice clutch. Plus you get a new set of foam tires, bearings, and belts. For $170, its a good deal.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:14 AM   #1318
Tech Regular

Default G4S shocks and shock bladders.

If your feeling brave. I would drill the shock caps to make them easier to build, and change. I also have tried the shock bladders from a company calles GS. They are a slightly more pliable silicon and go right in w/o trimming or gluing.

If you want to drill them there is a couple of things to be careful with. Grab a 1mm or 1.2mm drill bit. It's small and very fexible drill bit and more than likely you will need to put it in your dremel. Rememeber when drilling only use the slowest speed since with such small bit a high speed setting will toast the drill bit. Place the shock cap in a vise. Grab a punch and tap a small indent haldway down the shock cap on one of the flat surfaces on the cap. This small indent is so that the drill bit doesn't walk when drilling. Clean the threads well after drilling and remnove any burrs from the underside.

When building I place the shock bladder in the cap assembly, fill the shock body with oil and push the piston all the way in. I screw the shock body onto the cap, and hold it so the shock cap hole is facing up. As I screw the shock body onto the cap the excess oil squirts through the hole as I'm screwing it in. Once the shock body is almost completely on i push the piston up through the body and it forces the rest of the excess oil and any remaing oil through the cap. Finish screwing on the body and your done.

This little tip although monor gives me the ability to build the shock ONLY once, and makes them ultra consistant. I hate building and rebuilding for shock with air in them.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #1319
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscamry
how much does the g4/mongoose (they are one in the same correct) weigh?

thanks Jason
my g4 with kfactory chassis,plenty of hoppups, ready to race with body on and full tank is about 1770grams,
Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #1320
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

1725g says it right on the manual

on another note, are you saying that the stock G4S shocks arent drilled out for a breathe hole? how is that possible not to add one?
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote