R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #1231
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
I'm going to be ordering my upgrade kit in the next couple days and I had a few questions for the G4s owners.

-Why does the G4s need a rear belt tensioner. I never had any problems with the rear belt on my Mongoose. Infact when I look at how everything is laid out on the car, it seems that they would have to make the rear belt longer just to use that belt tensioner. Why go through all that trouble?

-How big of a reciever can the new receiver tray hold? Micro receivers only or something up to the size of a Xxtra?
The Belt Tensioner on the G4S is on the loose side of the belt, you do not have to run this tight, it is more for taking up the slack on the loose side of the belt.

Spektrum RX is about the maximum size the car will take.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:03 AM   #1232
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
The Belt Tensioner on the G4S is on the loose side of the belt, you do not have to run this tight, it is more for taking up the slack on the loose side of the belt.

Spektrum RX is about the maximum size the car will take.
Cool, thanks...
Old 05-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #1233
Tech Master

Default TM Receiver case

Will the TM receiver case (part# 101121)fit the G4 Le Mans, or the G4S chassis?

I have A Spektrum DSM receiver. If it does, this would be a must have for me, since I took off all the insulation from my electronics at the plugs, when I didn't get my starter wheel lined up properly. I have the Twister starter box, which doesn't line up without modification. Is there a starter box that you can recomend that fits the Le Mans or G4S chassis better?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #1234
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtveten
Will the TM receiver case (part# 101121)fit the G4 Le Mans, or the G4S chassis?

I have A Spektrum DSM receiver. If it does, this would be a must have for me, since I took off all the insulation from my electronics at the plugs, when I didn't get my starter wheel lined up properly. I have the Twister starter box, which doesn't line up without modification. Is there a starter box that you can recomend that fits the Le Mans or G4S chassis better?

Thanks
I use serpent power start, I love it.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:47 PM   #1235
Tech Regular

The X5 Turbo is superb and very popular and lines up perfectly.
4F1Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:21 PM   #1236
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Does any one know where I can get blank set-up sheets for the g4s?......also a look at a few different set ups of other drivers?...the web-site has a few but I wanna check out some other ones. Thanks in advance for the help!
SCUBA STEVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:31 PM   #1237
Tech Regular

Steve,

When you get the car, the manual has blank setup sheets. If you want them sooner I can have one emailed to you.

Sam
4F1Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:04 PM   #1238
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
I'm going to be ordering my upgrade kit in the next couple days and I had a few questions for the G4s owners.

-Why does the G4s need a rear belt tensioner. I never had any problems with the rear belt on my Mongoose. Infact when I look at how everything is laid out on the car, it seems that they would have to make the rear belt longer just to use that belt tensioner. Why go through all that trouble?

-How big of a reciever can the new receiver tray hold? Micro receivers only or something up to the size of a Xxtra?
Only G4 comes with optional brake pulley and side pulley (CMIIW). And because of that you will need the tensioner if using smaller pulley
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #1239
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Sam, I'll just wait and copy the one out of the manual... Thanks again!
SCUBA STEVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:03 PM   #1240
Tech Regular

G4S racers,

Here is a blank setup sheet for the G4S. It is an editable copy that you can edit if you have a pdf writer, like Adobe Acrobat (the full version, not just the Reader).

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf G4S_setupsheet.pdf (360.8 KB, 115 views)
Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:39 PM   #1241
Tech Elite

Default mmmmmmmmmmm ?

"There is a dispute among designers of the benefits of a lay down or stand up throttle servo. Mugen maintains its designs with stand up position. Kyosho has released their RRR Evo with the same disposition, changing it from the lay down position of the RRR. Serpent 710 has it standing up.

They say that changing the throttle servo from the laydown position to a standup position will be better in overall handling, because beeing laydown only lowers CG by about .001%.
The theory behind stand up position is "mass centralization". The closer the weight is to the car's polar moment of inertia, the faster the car will change directions and the more stable it will be. Standing that servo allows them to move the weight closer to the center line of the car instead of hanging off the side of the chassis. "
AFM

Yes, I can see that argument standing up well. Hence mugans attempt with its narrow MTX4 chassis, rx pack under the fuel tank and as you say... stood up throttle servo.
When coupled with these other items, the differing distribution of components, there is an appreciable difference in the centralized mass of the car.-------- at the expence of CoG !
By only having the throttle servo stood up, an no other attempt being made to centralize mass,indeed the re-location of the rx pack (along the left side now) moves mass outward,... there is little point I believe for the change on the basis of that argument.
The 0.001% stated is a little low but albeit true in practical terms.
I think in practice, there is little to choose between the two options.
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:47 PM   #1242
Regional Moderator

The K company wants to release car every 6 months. Either it's only an upgrade or a totally brand new car, you just have to accept it. And of course every time they will say the new one is better.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 PM   #1243
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtveten
Is there a starter box that you can recomend that fits the Le Mans or G4S chassis better?

Thanks
The OFNA universal starter box $59.99 or the OFNA universal starter box w/accesories $74.99 which includes the very handy powerpanel, fits the car perfectly once you set the alignment pegs where you need them. Its a great value which ever one you choose, and a gell cell for it only cost about $10-$12.

Its what I use for my Mongoose and what I will use for my G4s when I get it.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:14 PM   #1244
Regional Moderator

On the subject of the servo positions, it never stops amazing me how these companies waffle back and forth about whats "best" for cars. Shaft or belt...laydown servo or stand up...long suspension arms or short...

The only thing that ever stays the same is that what ever their new car has is "best".
Old 06-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #1245
Tech Adept

Default Uh-oh

My car came off the track last week with a decided lean. The RR shock end had snapped at the arm, the cup was still attatched to the ball stud. I don't recall a collision with that corner of the car.

The plastic shock ends were not available at my dealer or distributor, so I instead ordered a perimeter kit. Tomorrow is race day and the postman didn't ring, not even once; the mailbox is empty. What ( hopefully Mugen because that is the most popular car at the track) can I use to substitute this part?
BimmerDriver is offline   Reply With Quote