Default Your chance to upgrade

Team Machinaria G4RS 2009 race kit

Good luck to all.
Machinaria
MACHINARIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #11252
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey there Team Magic G4/G4s racers! The G4s knowledge base is back online at the NitroKB Archive Web site. FAQs, setups and the popular Gansei Page. Click here: http://nitrokb.netne.net/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #11253
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Those sites were a huge help, I so pleased with my G4S hopefully i'll be able to pick up the lap times a little with some of those setup tips...
RoyalPalmRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #11254
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to roach
Default awsome! info

thak you rmdhawaii...been racing oval for to many years. now im into onroad nitro. and the info is priceless!!!. this will be my first season...can't wait

thanks again! drew
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #11255
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have my RS08 up for sale along with spares. Check it out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...s-08-sale.html
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #11256
Tech Apprentice

Default What engine for my G4S rtr

Need some help. I ran my G4S rtr last summer and loved it. Strictly parking lot but I want more power. The stock engine is great, it starts well and I have geared it down as much as I can but not enough low end torque. Also changed pipe, but it still lacks low end grunt.

What engine and pipe, will go in easily; picco, sirio, nova, what. Also can I go bigger say a .15 or .18. Please provide the reasons for your recommendations.

Thanks Jim
authorjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #11257
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I run the Picco/IDM evo3 and soon to be evo4, they have a ton of low end and good top end with the right pipe, with that being said the novarossi, Sirio, O.S., and IDM all make good power
RoyalPalmRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #11258
Tech Apprentice

Default Engine for G4S rtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalPalmRacer View Post
I run the Picco/IDM evo3 and soon to be evo4, they have a ton of low end and good top end with the right pipe, with that being said the novarossi, Sirio, O.S., and IDM all make good power

What is IDM? Also can you recommend any specific models in a .12 by those manufacturers? Do any make a race engine in a larger displacement, .15 etc.

Will they drop in or do I need new mounts etc?

Thanks Jim
Old 01-04-2010, 03:10 AM   #11259
Tech Regular

IDM stands for Ielasi Daniele Motorsport. meaning that he gets the standard picco engine and will modify it. supposed to be faster than an original picco. never run an idm or a picco, but from reading review they seem pretty fast. dont know if a .15 will fit in the g4, stay with the .12. also what is your budget? i would recommend a novarossi, or an rb or a sirio. check out the sirio xxx combo, it is very cheap and very very fast, dont think that because of its price it isnt fast.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #11260
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default G4 + Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by authorjim View Post
Need some help. I ran my G4S rtr last summer and loved it. Strictly parking lot but I want more power. The stock engine is great, it starts well and I have geared it down as much as I can but not enough low end torque. Also changed pipe, but it still lacks low end grunt.

What engine and pipe, will go in easily; picco, sirio, nova, what. Also can I go bigger say a .15 or .18. Please provide the reasons for your recommendations.

Thanks Jim
If you've been running an SH, there's no point working it harder, it is what it is...

From what we've experienced and driven, the Sirio's pack a lot of low end punch, this however can be hard on the transmission and they are temperamental little buggers with hi maintenance costs due to bushes on the rod etc. We are currently also using an "old" RB (gift) for club, and it's got great bottom and top, it's had better days though. We primarily "race" the Tuned GRP Promo kit, because it's affordable (inc pipe and manifold) and has a smooth power-band, it's reliable and has good top end. $180 online at some places. (parts are an issue)

Be weary that some motor's have a larger block and the disc pad may rub against the block. You'll be pushing your clutch harder, belts will fade or strip teeth, and the chassis/bearings as a whole will hurt a little more and need more attention.

Regardless, the G4 loves the power and with a good clutch setup and gearing, they are very competitive.

PS: Consider using the ED system upgrade as well. It will lower the internal ratios.
PPS: .12cubic inch .21cc only for IFMAR world 200mm standard.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #11261
Tech Apprentice

Default Engine for the G4S rtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
If you've been running an SH, there's no point working it harder, it is what it is...

From what we've experienced and driven, the Sirio's pack a lot of low end punch, this however can be hard on the transmission and they are temperamental little buggers with hi maintenance costs due to bushes on the rod etc. We are currently also using an "old" RB (gift) for club, and it's got great bottom and top, it's had better days though. We primarily "race" the Tuned GRP Promo kit, because it's affordable (inc pipe and manifold) and has a smooth power-band, it's reliable and has good top end. $180 online at some places. (parts are an issue)

Be weary that some motor's have a larger block and the disc pad may rub against the block. You'll be pushing your clutch harder, belts will fade or strip teeth, and the chassis/bearings as a whole will hurt a little more and need more attention.

Regardless, the G4 loves the power and with a good clutch setup and gearing, they are very competitive.

PS: Consider using the ED system upgrade as well. It will lower the internal ratios.
PPS: .12cubic inch .21cc only for IFMAR world 200mm standard.

What is the ED upgrade? also what about a Nova engine or the Sirio XXX?
Does the Sirio XXX also have bushings on the Rod?

Thanks again
Jim
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #11262
Tech Elite

Default ED and Engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by authorjim View Post
What is the ED upgrade? also what about a Nova engine or the Sirio XXX?
Does the Sirio XXX also have bushings on the Rod?

Thanks again
Jim
ED upgrade includes a better disk brake, transmission axle and lower gear ratio.

http://rcshopping.com/INS/K%20Factor...0-K14122-1.jpg

http://www.rcshopping.com/profra.jsp...4122&proclass=

Hard to beat a NovaRossi engine for quality, parts are pricey and the XXX I have has bushings at both ends and spec's using a Sirio Plug.

SP-Racer would know more about the Sirio,
Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #11263
Tech Elite

Default Shocks, Oils and Springs

I've owned a losi shock tester for a while now and primarily used it to measure shock lengths in the past.

Pistons
Recently I went out to a clubby where a friend was using his Mugen and I wanted to check the balance and rebounds and found that he was using 500 oil and his shocks were as soft as my G4's using 250. He said he'd drilled out his piston holes and I tend to agree that unless running a perfectly smooth track, using 400 or above in G4 seems a little too firm.

Thin or thick oil
While on the subject, Im trying to get my head around the workings of how the shock absorbing systems should be set up. If using harder springs to reduce over all roll and lower ride heights, do we stiffen up the shocks or soften them to assist with the harder springs

Rebound and Shock Travel
I use the G4+ shocks and find that I need to drive the piston right up into the cylinder before screwing down the cap or my shocks lock well before full travel and compression lock. Considering there's little chance of that much travel, is it an issue or should I allow for a stronger rebound and ignore the overall travel issue.

Upside downside
Ive seen drivers inverting their shocks on cars. I assume it's to lower the CG of the car, this to me defies the whole point of a shock as the moving component is meant to be the shock shaft, not the shock body. Is it to keep air bubbles down? Im beat on this matter.

Spring unload - past droop
How many drivers setup their cars to allow the springs on their cars to unload with droop. Ive had this conversation with an experienced 1:5 rear wheel driver and he pointed out on two wheel drives they allow the front shocks to unload the spring where as on 4wd they maintain a loaded spring configuration due to drive and keeping the boots on the blackstuff without chattering.

Interested in your views.

h
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #11264
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
I've owned a losi shock tester for a while now and primarily used it to measure shock lengths in the past.

Upside downside
Ive seen drivers inverting their shocks on cars. I assume it's to lower the CG of the car, this to me defies the whole point of a shock as the moving component is meant to be the shock shaft, not the shock body. Is it to keep air bubbles down? Im beat on this matter.

Interested in your views.

h
Its to lower CG Harry. I know that its different, but motorbike shocks used to be just like RC car shocks until someone invented the upside down shock, and all performance bikes now have them. You would think that manufacturers would already be onto this if it also works in RC racing, and I have yet to see any champion driver using that system.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #11265
Tech Elite

Default Downsides and upsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickentrader View Post
Its to lower CG Harry. I know that its different, but motorbike shocks used to be just like RC car shocks until someone invented the upside down shock, and all performance bikes now have them. You would think that manufacturers would already be onto this if it also works in RC racing, and I have yet to see any champion driver using that system.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Struggling to understand how a suspension system performs better moving the heavier object versus moving the lighter shaft and piston. Having said this, bishop too pointed out his hopped up bilstein shocks on the OVLOV work in this same way.

On a bike with forks I can understand how this might have benefits as the fork is part of the static assembly that would reduce the components and ultimately lighten the front end.

On our cars with wishbone suspensions this would mean a lot of mass is moving and would make me believe it's less efficient. Contradicting myself though, this additional mass would dissipate the energy and I suppose that's what the shock is suppose to do as well.

For G4's with brittle wing arms however, I'd almost certain this would snap the ball ends off the arms. So it's not something I will be trying or testing.