R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #11236
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Centax/UFO/Three "Throw" versus older Three "Shoe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by authorjim View Post
Thanks again for the help. But whats this about the clutch. What affect does the clutch have on the car's performanc. I mean I know that it's engagement, sooner makes for more a more responsive car, but all I can do about that is the softness of the clutch springs and the weight of the clutch shoes themselves ----- is that right?

Jim
Im referring to a centax (flywheel dished / or PUSH clutch) more commonly known in Team Magic as a UFO clutch in this case. The idea is to get to the power band of the engine and then engage. Old style three spring/shoe clutches will loosen up engaging at much lower revs hence losing punch and power.

If you have an older G4 with old style 3 shoeclutch then be weary that the transmission system may not be the ED system in which case a hop up to Centax requires you find an Original UFO1 not UFO2. The older UFO's have a smaller clutch shoe and older Transmission uses different gearing ratios and they have larger pinions.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #11237
Tech Apprentice

Default Centax Clutch and Such

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Im referring to a centax (flywheel dished / or PUSH clutch) more commonly known in Team Magic as a UFO clutch in this case. The idea is to get to the power band of the engine and then engage. Old style three spring/shoe clutches will loosen up engaging at much lower revs hence losing punch and power.

If you have an older G4 with old style 3 shoeclutch then be weary that the transmission system may not be the ED system in which case a hop up to Centax requires you find an Original UFO1 not UFO2. The older UFO's have a smaller clutch shoe and older Transmission uses different gearing ratios and they have larger pinions.

Thanks again, I will be checking out this stuff with Wolf Hobbies where I get all my Team Magic Stuff.

Have a great weekend.

Jim
authorjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #11238
Tech Rookie

Default Christmas Sale

Quote:
Thanks again, I will be checking out this stuff with Wolf Hobbies where I get all my Team Magic Stuff.

Have a great weekend.

Jim
Just wanted to share the fact that Wolfhobbies.com is having a huge Christmas Sale. All Team magic and kfactory parts are on special.
rogue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #11239
abi
Tech Adept

Default overdrive options for the 06 G4S?

Hello all,

I would like some idea's for placing some overdrive into the front axle of my G4S. It is stock standard with the 1:1 front to rear ratio at the moment. With this ratio the car seems to like the rear tyres about 1mm to 1.5mm smaller than the front so I feel going to a 1.03:1 overdrive would be a good move.

Any Idea's to whats available to change the ratio?

I can only think of going from the stock 27T front outer pulley to a 26T pulley would give me approx 1.03:1, are these pulleys available? Would a VoneRRR pulley fit, E clip and drive pin etc?

look forward to your help.

Last edited by abi; 12-02-2009 at 09:34 PM.
abi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #11240
Tech Elite

yes the 26t side pulley is available.
You can then run the front tyres 1mm - 1.5mm smaller to balance out the wear.
Use the Sertpent Drivecalc software to see what over drive you get.
Just substitute the G4 pulley and gearing and it will be spot on.
http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/resources...rpent-calc.zip
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #11241
abi
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
yes the 26t side pulley is available.
You can then run the front tyres 1mm - 1.5mm smaller to balance out the wear.
Use the Sertpent Drivecalc software to see what over drive you get.
Just substitute the G4 pulley and gearing and it will be spot on.
http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/resources...rpent-calc.zip
Thanks razzor, what a nice calculator,definitely a keeper. You wouldnt happen to have a part number for the 26T pulley? Anyone else got a P/N for this pulley?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #11242
abi
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi View Post
Hello all,

I would like some idea's for placing some overdrive into the front axle of my G4S. It is stock standard with the 1:1 front to rear ratio at the moment. With this ratio the car seems to like the rear tyres about 1mm to 1.5mm smaller than the front so I feel going to a 1.03:1 overdrive would be a good move.

Any Idea's to whats available to change the ratio?

I can only think of going from the stock 27T front outer pulley to a 26T pulley would give me approx 1.03:1, are these pulleys available? Would a VoneRRR pulley fit, E clip and drive pin etc?

look forward to your help.
I looked at this a bit more, another couple of options would be to replace the outer rear 19T pulley with a 20T pulley for 1.053 overdrive or replace the 19T brake pulley with a 18t pulley also for 1.0556 overdrive.

I'm wondering if the 20T pulley from the ED system would do the job for the outer rear pulley?

Anyone know a part number for a 18T brake pulley or a P/N for a 26T outer front pulley?

Last edited by abi; 12-03-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #11243
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
With this ratio the car seems to like the rear tyres about 1mm to 1.5mm smaller than the front

You mean the fronts smaller than the rear right?

You should start off with the fronts 1mm smaller than the rear as a rule of thumb.

You'll also find that the G4 will like a softer shore tyre on the front , i.e. 38F ,40R or 40F, 42R.

Once you start setting up your car with these shore "splits" , you'll find that there is no need for the 26t side pulley - just make sure you start your fronts 1mm smaller ( up to 1.5 smaller for longer finals etc )

HTH
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #11244
Tech Elite

K1457 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 18T Pulley
K1458 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 19T Pulley
K1459 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 27T Pulley
K1461 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 19T Brake Pulley
K1482 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 18T Side Pulley (2 speed shaft)
K1483 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 18T Brake Pulley
K1484 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 20T Side Pulley (2 speed shaft)
K1485 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 20T Brake Pulley
K1405 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 26T Pulley (Special Size) (for K1404)

These are the part numbers i have for the G4/G4S.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:27 AM   #11245
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp Racer View Post

You should start off with the fronts 1mm smaller than the rear as a rule of thumb.

You'll also find that the G4 will like a softer shore tyre on the front , i.e. 38F ,40R or 40F, 42R.

Once you start setting up your car with these shore "splits" , you'll find that there is no need for the 26t side pulley - just make sure you start your fronts 1mm smaller ( up to 1.5 smaller for longer finals etc )

HTH
It is track dependant but where possible i run my G4S with a softer front tyre
and most of the time i use 37 fronts with 40 rears and on a un treated track or for nationals i will use 35 fronts with 37.
I also run the fronts 1.5mm smaller than the rears
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #11246
abi
Tech Adept

Quote:

HTH
Thanks SP (luis) and Razzor for helping, I do mean the rears like to be smaller than the front but let me explain -

Our races are only 5 minutes long each so tyre wear, particularly front/rear split change is not a consideration. I run 35sh fronts and 37sh rears and these seem to work well. Our track is a small, tight, technical track with quite low grip (temporary car park track raced at night up here in NSW). My G4S has no overdrive (is 1:1 front/rear), it has the stock 32T front diff, 18T inner middle shaft, 27T outer middle shaft, 19T outer rear shaft, 19T brake , and 48T rear diff pulley) so 1:1 front/rear. I find with equal dia front /rear tyres the car understeers into corners and oversteers coming out, with the smaller rears all is good. I run minimum caster (all clips to the rear), 195mm front track, minimum ackerman, rear bar disconnected and front bar flat and both front and rear lower wishbones shaved to reduce wheelbase (3mm rear and 2mm front). I'd like to run your suggested splits but feel I would need to fit a front diff to cure the poor handling.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by abi; 12-03-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #11247
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks SP (luis) and Razzor for helping, I do mean the rears like to be smaller than the front but let me explain -

Our races are only 5 minutes long each so tyre wear, particularly front/rear split change is not a consideration. I run 35sh fronts and 37sh rears and these seem to work well. Our track is a small, tight, technical track with quite low grip (temporary car park track raced at night up here in NSW). My G4S has no overdrive (is 1:1 front/rear), it has the stock 32T front diff, 18T inner middle shaft, 27T outer middle shaft, 19T outer rear shaft, 19T brake , and 48T rear diff pulley) so 1:1 front/rear. I find with equal dia front /rear tyres the car understeers into corners and oversteers coming out, with the smaller rears all is good. I run minimum caster (all clips to the rear), 195mm front track, minimum ackerman, rear bar disconnected and front bar flat and both front and rear lower wishbones shaved to reduce wheelbase (3mm rear and 2mm front). I'd like to run your suggested splits but feel I would need to fit a front diff to cure the poor handling.

Any help appreciated.
PDNR right ?

So are you using spool, diff or 1 way at the front?
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #11248
abi
Tech Adept

Quote:
PDNR right ?

So are you using spool, diff or 1 way at the front?
Correct, PDNR.

I have only ever used a spool in this G4S as that is how TM released it but am considering a front diff as I have this config in my G4S RTR and it is so much better going into apexes.

P.S. you have helped me out with advice before Luis, about a year ago when I 1st started with touring cars, this past championship I have placed 1st in 'Kit' in the G4S RTR and 3rd in outlaw with my G4S (the car i'm not happy with). I am certain their is more in this car and am curious before I park it, replaced by my new RS09.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #11249
Tech Apprentice

Default GS4 RTR Pipe

I have a stock GS4 RTR. I tweaked the suspension, changed shock springs adustments, toe, etc. and it runs real nice. The stock engine is a little weak with bottom end torque so I put the smallest pinion I could get from Team Magic, and 18tooth. It helped but not enough, what pipe can I use to help the bottom end?

Jim
authorjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #11250
Tech Elite

Quote:
I have a stock GS4 RTR. I tweaked the suspension, changed shock springs adustments, toe, etc. and it runs real nice. The stock engine is a little weak with bottom end torque so I put the smallest pinion I could get from Team Magic, and 18tooth. It helped but not enough, what pipe can I use to help the bottom end?

Jim
The tune pip that comes with the RTR has spacers to lengthen or shorten the pipe. Add more spacers for a little more bottom end.
Also put a little harder clutch springs and or ally clutch shoes.
The clutch springs and shoes is the same as most 1/8 buggies.