R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #11116
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

yeah.. xray xca clutch shoe fits nicely. little more bite than normal tm shoe.
nazwenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #11117
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Thanks. If wolf doesn't come through, I guess I'll start sifting through the Xray and Kyosho pits to see if something works.
WatchOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #11118
Tech Regular

Hey guys,

I have a G4s roller for sale at ebay with tons and tons of parts. Not all parts are in the pictures but i have spare shocks, bearings, diffs, one-ways, arms, gears, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=tab%3DSelling
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #11119
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default weights in the throw out

woah...i gotta dig this out from page 3!

for those using the 'newer' version clutch of the RS08 or +evo, do you guys put the 3 small round metal weights in the 3 throw-outs clutch shoes? (not the ufo version which have 6 small round metal weights)

i can't really feel the difference with or without the 3 metal weights.
maybe the engagement point is shifted higher without? but this could be adjusted using the spring tension.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #11120
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

i was told theoretically, adding this flyweight adds more progressive feel at low-middle rpm for novarossi/motors with low bottom end torque when using harder clutch spring. at flowing corners adds a bit more responsive throttle but not sudden engagement. maybe its my combination of clutch and engine tuning. but correct me if im wrong

on my UFO2 centax,i like it with 3 fly weights all round with stock spring.
nazwenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #11121
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut View Post
Thanks. If wolf doesn't come through, I guess I'll start sifting through the Xray and Kyosho pits to see if something works.
You should try going to http://www.machinaria.com to see if they have it.
RC Apparel - http://www.bluegrooveapparel.com Globalhobby.com - XtM Racing Teamxtm.com
Ladder Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #11122
Tech Addict

Default droop and ride height

got a slight issue setting droop and ride height for the front.

when i set my front droop to 2 or 3 (on the droop blocks), i can't set my ride height to 5mm or more (with 58mm front tires); unless i lower my front droop to 1 or 0 (on the blocks) then i'm able to set my ride height to 5 or 6mm.

something wrong here?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 AM   #11123
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroWD View Post
got a slight issue setting droop and ride height for the front.

when i set my front droop to 2 or 3 (on the droop blocks), i can't set my ride height to 5mm or more (with 58mm front tires); unless i lower my front droop to 1 or 0 (on the blocks) then i'm able to set my ride height to 5 or 6mm.

something wrong here?
Hey NitroWD, I just checked on my G4S, I'm running front droop at 3,
With 60mm front tires on I get a 7mm front ride height...

I don't need to tell you about using spring pre-load for ride height !
at front droop of 2, i'd expect 6mm! how does it look if you take the shocks off? If the same, check the roll bar. If you take the shocks off and the ride height is > 5mm then check your shock position/length..

Any other G4ers can confim if this is normal?

Hope this helps somehow..
anthony_ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #11124
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_ling View Post
Hey NitroWD, I just checked on my G4S, I'm running front droop at 3,
With 60mm front tires on I get a 7mm front ride height...

I don't need to tell you about using spring pre-load for ride height !
at front droop of 2, i'd expect 6mm! how does it look if you take the shocks off? If the same, check the roll bar. If you take the shocks off and the ride height is > 5mm then check your shock position/length..

Any other G4ers can confim if this is normal?

Hope this helps somehow..
what i meant is that the droop screws are limiting my shocks from becoming longer to get higher ride height.
seems like i've got to use droops of either 0 or 1 to get the height i wanted.

Last edited by NitroWD; 08-24-2009 at 08:01 AM.
NitroWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #11125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keavze View Post
i've seen people using serpent and xray shoes in their G4...you might wana try that.
My G4RS 09 clutch needed shoes with more weight, and I had no other shoes or weights, so I filled the holes with hot solder. It worked, and it might be worth trying in a situation like that. Should work with any clutch.

kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #11126
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Droop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroWD View Post
what i meant is that the droop screws are limiting my shocks from becoming longer to get higher ride height.
seems like i've got to use droops of either 0 or 1 to get the height i wanted.
Droop / aka upstop.

Droop blocks have always puzzled me, as droop is relative to tyre diameters and the base ride height. As my foams wear, my ride height will change, hence as too will droop.

10mm Ride height: 64mm tyres.
Example scenario only: Assuming we run full tyre 64mm (we dont) and we for the sake of this exercise run 10mm ride height (we dont) with 2mm droop, I assume taking wheels off and placing the car on 10mm blocks, with a 10mm offset guage it would produce to 2mm deviation of upstop/droop

6mm ride height 64mm tyres.
Now to correct ride height to 5mm.. we need would be using suspension to lower, hence this would rincrease the up travel (droop) by 4mm, hence droop would need to be reduced to -2mm of offset upstop/droop.

6mm ride height and 61mm tyre
Now true off 3mm off the tyre, Your ride height dropped 3mm, Increasing ride height by 3mm will then need 3mm more droop. Droop is now at +1 offset with 10mm blocks.

NOTE: ensure your shock pistons do NOT bottom out and unwind ball cup to extend shock length so this does not happen. Droop also prevents this but not if shock isnt long enough, or you'll blow out the shocks as they are axcting as your droop stop.

Have I got this right guys?

h

Got this wrong...

Droop block still have me preplexed. 64mm wheel = 32mm height from wheel hub center to track. How low/high are the hubs, where to measure from. Where's the arm pivot connected to bulkheads high/low. The bottom of chassis isnt the same level as bottom of wheelhub. Do you need an offset from base of chassis plate to biottom of wheel hub. Is the droop block a levelling or measuring tool. Do you use a sdpecial set of wheels to do a droop check?

Finally..

As ole mate "El Battoni" pointed out, tyre wear has nothing to do with droop, ride height reduces. Reset ride height and THEN droop comes in to play. My issue was more to do with how do we measure it. Without ZEROing the loaded suspension once it's on droop blocks, what to measure and how to compensate for the suspension preload?

So Im assuming I should choose my tyre diameters. 60F and 62R.. true down a set of old tyres to 50F/50R SORRY gives me 5mmF and 6mmR ride height. Put these wheels on chassis and ZERO the suspension and chassis plate <1mm off ground. Now I have relative ZERO preload. If I put up on blocks, I need to allow for 2mm of droop, take the shocks off, measure, place shocks on ensuring they arent bottoming out and I should be done.

I cant think of any another way without defining the tyre diamaters,

Last idea.. measurement.

Setup with trued tyres, setup ride height (CH), measure height at bottom of wheel hub (WH) and desired, droop (DH).

Assuming 10mm offset of droop blocks setting measured at wheel hub WH

WH = (10mm - (CH - WH - DH))

and now for a way to measuer wheel hubs while the wheels are on. ROFL... I give up now :/

Last edited by blis; 08-25-2009 at 01:18 AM.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:28 AM   #11127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Droop / aka upstop.

Droop blocks have always puzzled me, as droop is relative to tyre diameters and the base ride height. As my foams wear, my ride height will change, hence as too will droop.

10mm Ride height: 64mm tyres.
Example scenario only: Assuming we run full tyre 64mm (we dont) and we for the sake of this exercise run 10mm ride height (we dont) with 2mm droop, I assume taking wheels off and placing the car on 10mm blocks, with a 10mm offset guage it would produce to 2mm deviation of upstop/droop

6mm ride height 64mm tyres.
Now to correct ride height to 5mm.. we need would be using suspension to lower, hence this would rincrease the up travel (droop) by 4mm, hence droop would need to be reduced to -2mm of offset upstop/droop.

6mm ride height and 61mm tyre
Now true off 3mm off the tyre, Your ride height dropped 3mm, Increasing ride height by 3mm will then need 3mm more droop. Droop is now at +1 offset with 10mm blocks.

NOTE: ensure your shock pistons do NOT bottom out and unwind ball cup to extend shock length so this does not happen. Droop also prevents this but not if shock isnt long enough, or you'll blow out the shocks as they are axcting as your droop stop.

Have I got this right guys?

h

Got this wrong...

Droop block still have me preplexed. 64mm wheel = 32mm height from wheel hub center to track. How low/high are the hubs, where to measure from. Where's the arm pivot connected to bulkheads high/low. The bottom of chassis isnt the same level as bottom of wheelhub. Do you need an offset from base of chassis plate to biottom of wheel hub. Is the droop block a levelling or measuring tool. Do you use a sdpecial set of wheels to do a droop check?

Finally..

As ole mate "El Battoni" pointed out, tyre wear has nothing to do with droop, ride height reduces. Reset ride height and THEN droop comes in to play. My issue was more to do with how do we measure it. Without ZEROing the loaded suspension once it's on droop blocks, what to measure and how to compensate for the suspension preload?

So Im assuming I should choose my tyre diameters. 60F and 62R.. true down a set of old tyres to 55F/56R, gives me 5mmF and 6mmR ride height. Put these wheels on chassis and ZERO the suspension and chassis plate <1mm off ground. Now I have relative ZERO preload. If I put up on blocks, I need to allow for 2mm of droop, take the shocks off, measure, place shocks on ensuring they arent bottoming out and I should be done.

I cant think of any another way without defining the tyre diamaters,

Last idea.. measurement.

Setup with trued tyres, setup ride height (CH), measure height at bottom of wheel hub (WH) and desired, droop (DH).

Assuming 10mm offset of droop blocks setting measured at wheel hub WH

WH = (10mm - (CH - WH - DH))

and now for a way to measuer wheel hubs while the wheels are on. ROFL... I give up now :/
Your always good value harry, in the xray manual it says the basic set up is 59mm front and 61mm rear so i use tyres of that size when setting ride height etc. If i can't use tyres of that size i will use set up wheels which are about 66mm in dia.

I think you guys are looking too much into it, either that or i'm not looking into it enough Looking forward to seeing you at the nats harry
Old 08-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #11128
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Thumbs down Droooooooooooop

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
Your always good value harry, in the xray manual it says the basic set up is 59mm front and 61mm rear so i use tyres of that size when setting ride height etc. If i can't use tyres of that size i will use set up wheels which are about 66mm in dia.

I think you guys are looking too much into it, either that or i'm not looking into it enough Looking forward to seeing you at the nats harry
It's just me looking...

Probably not seeing the obvious either. I just setup Luke's droop on an EP and used bare rims which were 10mm/5mm radius smaller. Then adjusted suspension and set the ride height to zero front / +1 rear.. I then slipped a 2mm +1 rear 3mm spacer under my chassis and lowered my arms + bare wheels to the board using droop screw.

See you in Syd, cant wait
Put tyres back on and presto, ride height was spot on and droop looked just right
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #11129
Tech Adept

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post

I'm with you Freestyles. Hazza is doin my head in
Liquid Speed Fuels
www.tracksiderc.com.au
batto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 AM   #11130
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
It's just me looking...

Probably not seeing the obvious either. I just setup Luke's droop on an EP and used bare rims which were 10mm/5mm radius smaller. Then adjusted suspension and set the ride height to zero front / +1 rear.. I then slipped a 2mm +1 rear 3mm spacer under my chassis and lowered my arms + bare wheels to the board using droop screw.

See you in Syd, cant wait
Put tyres back on and presto, ride height was spot on and droop looked just right
Oh my god
Liquid Speed Fuels
www.tracksiderc.com.au
batto is offline   Reply With Quote