Team Magic G4

Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lou checked that down load you posted and the model car i have hasnt got slide steering
Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RACER12
lou checked that down load you posted and the model car i have hasnt got slide steering
Lucky you !...I think that's the biggest difference between the TM car and the mongoose.

everything else should be the same number..

give us a call
Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RACER12
haha, where did you get the car from ?
i had a mongoose which i put the G4S steering onto. could be one of my old cars from moons ago
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by keavze
0.4mm end play will destroy yr thrust bearing earlier.
usually i run my engines with 0.5mm gap and 0.1mm or less endplay.
thanks for the advice keavze,
i did try with this setup, spring tension is the thing i play with.end up with 1.4mm. definitely im not the fastest in the last open race HM Cup last weekend. just want to be soft on my tires. hold 5th position(3 G4 cars at top 5, 1,2 and 5th) for 20+mins then end up with a manifold came loose and 2nd speed spur replacement. made 7th place in A-main. learn my lesson, better buy extra 2nd speed housing with the spur attached!!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
haha, where did you get the car from ?
i had a mongoose which i put the G4S steering onto. could be one of my old cars from moons ago
purchased on ebay
would be good to know what has been done to this car
at this stage i am thinking maybe i should start with a new one

lou can you pm me your phone number
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default So here's where you all are..

G4's... now where's the subscribe button...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Default Thrust bearings

Originally Posted by anthony_ling
Hey Razzor, thanks for the previous post on thrust bearings... I'm blowing thrust bearings every second race meeting...

i've got grease on it, and slight endplay ....

i do have a largish clutch gap.. .7mm

Here is the question.... whats the difference between running a larger clutch gap and a stiff clutch spring.... ?

At the moment, I've got a soft (red) clutch spring and a large clutch gap...

how would this compare with a smaller clutch gap and a stiff spring... ?

Hope this makes sense... would this explain my thrust bearing badness?
Not enough end play, but too much as I found out will devour spurs. We are not losing any thrust bearings, I do pull down clutches regularly, grease bearings (every time), check gaps. Running red everything with no weights.

It's gonna expand when it gets hot, and it's going to get hot, ensure clutch/bell gap is free and then do the end play.I prefer solid washers, like thrustbearing washers. Shims wear and mangle. use only for packing.

Or.. your thrustbearings are crappy, I buy the TM ones. Pay a little more, they are good.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Why did the car lose 2nd gear?

We put a new (second hand) G4RS on the track in our club yesterday, and it was awesome! We had one problem that I find very puzzling however; the car lost its 2nd gear in the warm-up to the final. A quick check showed that spurs and pinions were O.K., so we decided to just go and let the engine scream its head off. We raced five minutes in first gear, refuelled and let the car out again, and after a minute or two the car suddenly found its 2nd gear again, and had perfect gear changes after that???? What could cause that? The car never glitched in the lead up heats.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have personally found that with the two speed it's self if the two grub screws are too loose the cam that hits the little post gets stuck and delivers inconsistent 2 speed results. One day i was at the track i was trying to perfect my 2 speed shift point. I was chasing my tail all day long and couldn't figure out what was going on. I tried different tunes, clutch engagements etc but nothing fixed it untill i took out the 2 speed and freed it up. Not saying this is what happened but maybe something to check next time if it happens again.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freestyles
I have personally found that with the two speed it's self if the two grub screws are too loose the cam that hits the little post gets stuck and delivers inconsistent 2 speed results. One day i was at the track i was trying to perfect my 2 speed shift point. I was chasing my tail all day long and couldn't figure out what was going on. I tried different tunes, clutch engagements etc but nothing fixed it untill i took out the 2 speed and freed it up. Not saying this is what happened but maybe something to check next time if it happens again.
exactly -

also, maybe pull the 2 speed unit apart, clean everything and re-assemble.

Re shock oil - 550 or 500cs

p.s. glad you are happy with it !

regards

Luis

Last edited by Sp Racer; 05-03-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
exactly -

also, maybe pull the 2 speed unit apart, clean everything and re-assemble.

Re shock oil - 550 or 500cs

p.s. glad you are happy with it !

regards

Luis
I had the screws back out of the aluminium bulkhead on my G4+ Evo that caused me great issues with my 2 speed!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
I had the screws back out of the aluminium bulkhead on my G4+ Evo that caused me great issues with my 2 speed!
which screws?
anyway for all the screws on the alum parts, i'll use loctite to secure, so far no worries.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by keavze
which screws?
anyway for all the screws on the alum parts, i'll use loctite to secure, so far no worries.
They were the ones that hold the carbon fibre side brace onto the bulkheads. Yes i know to use loctite now, but it came factory assembled and i didn't think to check it!

BB
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re: Why did the car lose 2nd gear.

Many thanks to Luis, freestyles, keavze and Bundy Bear for your advice. I took the 2 speed clutch apart, and checked everything suggested, but there seemed to be nothing wrong. There were some score marks inside the 2 speed clutch housing that shouldn’t have been there however; and something must have caused it, unless the scores were there before we got it. But I would think that any scores would disappear after a while, with the clutch shoes rubbing it smooth. It seems unlikely, but perhaps somehow a foreign object got trapped inside the housing, and stopped the clutch shoes from engaging.

The grub screws were adjusted just like I think they should be, and the screws that hold the side brace to the bulk head were tight. I’ve had trouble with those coming loose in another G4, and I also Locktite them now. I will replace the 2 Speed Cam just to make sure, and we will relace all the 2 speed parts if it happens again.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
Many thanks to Luis, freestyles, keavze and Bundy Bear for your advice. I took the 2 speed clutch apart, and checked everything suggested, but there seemed to be nothing wrong. There were some score marks inside the 2 speed clutch housing that shouldn’t have been there however; and something must have caused it, unless the scores were there before we got it. But I would think that any scores would disappear after a while, with the clutch shoes rubbing it smooth. It seems unlikely, but perhaps somehow a foreign object got trapped inside the housing, and stopped the clutch shoes from engaging.

The grub screws were adjusted just like I think they should be, and the screws that hold the side brace to the bulk head were tight. I’ve had trouble with those coming loose in another G4, and I also Locktite them now. I will replace the 2 Speed Cam just to make sure, and we will relace all the 2 speed parts if it happens again.

Kindest regards,
Lars.

If there is score marks on the inside of the 2 speed drum it's most probably from the grub screws in the shoes themselves. It probably just got hung up and after a few laps of revving it's head off probably freed it up. It could of sheared a bit of the pin off that goes throught the 2 speed shaft (it's happened to me once) and got stuck in there and then after a few laps it might have spat it out. I would imagine though that it would be hard for something to get inside the 2 speed drum whilst driving so i would imagine that it was already there or it was the grub screws in the shoes catching

Hope that helps and please tell us what the problem was when/if you find out, i'm interested to find out what happened

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.