R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #10216
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALG View Post
Thanks ALG for the links, i think i might get those Hitec ones for that price I have gone all out on the car up till now so it wont feel right to skimp on the servos now i reckon but for $127 AUD i might have to give the Futabas a miss for now I know they are heaps better but so it's a hard call.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #10217
Tech Elite

You really don't have to go mad to get the S down to weight.

I went mad and got my G4S down to 1644g !! Ready to race.....but without fuel.

Biggest thing that makes a difference is the titanium pillow balls, there's 20g
Get the plastic speedshot top cross brace and not the aluminium one.
Fit the RS gearing (plastic pulleys)
Li-Po battery

The 4mm chassis only weighs 6g more then the the 3mm one !!
So very little work will get this down to the same weight.

Using Titanium Screws can cut another 20g off the weight too. But Don't go too mad with these. They can strip out and end up being a waste. Put them in the drive train for sure. And maybe on the higher areas of the car.

Use 2 coats of paint on the body.
Cut as much as poss' out the body without making it too weak.

Lightweight front bumper.

Regards,

British Menace
Old 10-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #10218
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey guys i have a quick question i want to start racing onroad cars and its my first time at this, my question is that i want a team magic car but dont know which one, i want something good but not to expensive and rtr, any input will be apreciated.
revo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #10219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If i had the money to buy a new kit it would have to be the G4rs
Old 10-31-2008, 07:11 AM   #10220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

hey guys on the weekend I stripped my first gear spur , I know the mesh was perfect just a small bit of play not to tight and not loose same as always but it still stripped!I checked out the stripped gear and noticed that it stripped exactly where I had the pinion set??how can this be it looks like meshing wasnt the problem it was some other factor that made it strip has any one had this same problem. if its meshed all good but still strips thats got me confused
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----

Last edited by aussies1129; 10-31-2008 at 03:55 PM.
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:23 AM   #10221
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
hey guys on the weekend I stripped my first gear spur , I know the mesh was perfect just a small bit of play not to tight and not loose same as always but it still stripped!I checked out the stripped gear and noticed that it stripped exactly where I had the pinion set??how can this be it looks like meshing wasnt the problem it was some other factor yjay made it strip has any one had this same problem. if its meshed all good but still strips thats got me confused
cheers
how about the spur that you replaced the stripped one?
what's yr gearing?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 AM   #10222
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Aussies,

Check all listed:
Clutchbell pinions
2 speed housing bearings
2 speed shoe gap
1st gear one way and shaft
side plate mounts, (I had one crack and couldn't see it unless I flexed the chassis by hand)
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #10223
ALG
Tech Regular

I had the problem once,

I strip the 2nd gear evey 5 min, yes its true, I change every thing and the problem was still there, BUT The last thing I change was the Al ED clutch bell with pinion and the problem dissapear.

Has some one used the steel pinions?

Have fun

ALG
ALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #10224
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySocko View Post
Aussies,

Check all listed:
Clutchbell pinions
2 speed housing bearings
2 speed shoe gap
side plate mounts, (I had one crack and couldn't see it unless I flexed the chassis by hand)
Bad clutch bearings could also make them strip.

kindest regards,
Lars.

Last edited by Chickentrader; 10-31-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Chickentrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #10225
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
hey guys on the weekend I stripped my first gear spur , I know the mesh was perfect just a small bit of play not to tight and not loose same as always but it still stripped!I checked out the stripped gear and noticed that it stripped exactly where I had the pinion set??how can this be it looks like meshing wasnt the problem it was some other factor yjay made it strip has any one had this same problem. if its meshed all good but still strips thats got me confused
cheers
The problem of you guys always have spur gears stripped because the engine and gear shaft alignment is not correct. The design is very critical actually, a little bit offset would cause gear stripping.

Solara and many friends have this problem too........ since they took my advice, never have a problem until now.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #10226
Tech Elite

Aussies 2 possible reasons for stripping a gear is check the 2 speed clutch shoe clearance with the 2 speed housing.
Last weekend i was helping out a guy get his 720 running and amazingly he stripped 2 spur gears. I checked over teh car and clutch bearings etc.. and all was OK.
Then when he was running after a few minutes i called him in and went to teh pit table and removed the body. I had a idea and was plucking at straws but there it was.
His clutch was slipping but not that we could notice and it made the bell and pinions very hot. I then noticed how warm the spur gear was getting and noticed that it actually made the spur gear material softer where it was in contact with teh pinion.
Conclusion is possible spur gear stripping can also be caused by incorrect clutch setting that overheats the spurs and causes the pinion to strip teh spur.
Might not be your problem but definately something that could be a factor for a lot of guys with stripped gears.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #10227
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
I had the problem once,

I strip the 2nd gear evey 5 min, yes its true, I change every thing and the problem was still there, BUT The last thing I change was the Al ED clutch bell with pinion and the problem dissapear.

Have fun

ALG
I am currently using the steel bell and pinion....it came with my JS.
Definetely the way to go...they last longer....the bell doesn´t wear or scracht like the alum. one...and spurs are lasting me longer.

In my experience, apart from the obviuos reasons for spur stripping, the main reasons are
Tolerance between 2 speed clutch and housing (the hit when it engages is so hard that it breaks the theeth of spurs when it is to big).Lift your car on the air and accelerate, when the second speed engages, you shouldn´t feel the hit.
When bearings of two speed housing loose tightness and start to wobble and or llose fit in the outside, which isvery often due to it´s small size, and that is why on the new G4+Evo they´ve changed them to a bigger size.

Just my 2 cents

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #10228
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Aussies 2 possible reasons for stripping a gear is check the 2 speed clutch shoe clearance with the 2 speed housing.
Last weekend i was helping out a guy get his 720 running and amazingly he stripped 2 spur gears. I checked over teh car and clutch bearings etc.. and all was OK.
Then when he was running after a few minutes i called him in and went to teh pit table and removed the body. I had a idea and was plucking at straws but there it was.
His clutch was slipping but not that we could notice and it made the bell and pinions very hot. I then noticed how warm the spur gear was getting and noticed that it actually made the spur gear material softer where it was in contact with teh pinion.
Conclusion is possible spur gear stripping can also be caused by incorrect clutch setting that overheats the spurs and causes the pinion to strip teh spur.
Might not be your problem but definately something that could be a factor for a lot of guys with stripped gears.
yep I think that this is one of the problems dont get the pinion contacting with the spur have a small gap which I normally do and the pinions are getting a bit hot but not over the top. I will recheck my gap and to reduce the slip.cheers

Quote:
I had the problem once,

Have fun

ALG
yes I use steel pinions after going thru aluminium ones every few races steel are the way to go for me!!thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySocko View Post
Aussies,

Check all listed:
Clutchbell pinions
2 speed housing bearings
2 speed shoe gap
yes I checked these and I lost a screw on the exhaust side plate cause I replaced them with the kfactory ones the screws go in aluminium now not plastic so I need to use more locktight all good now, the one way 1st gear is new kfactory. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by keavze View Post
how about the spur that you replaced the stripped one?
what's yr gearing?
I am running 16/21 52/47
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm View Post
I am currently using the steel bell and pinion....it came with my JS.
Definetely the way to go...they last longer....the bell doesn´t wear or scracht like the alum. one...and spurs are lasting me longer.

In my experience, apart from the obviuos reasons for spur stripping, the main reasons are
Tolerance between 2 speed clutch and housing (the hit when it engages is so hard that it breaks the theeth of spurs when it is to big).Lift your car on the air and accelerate, when the second speed engages, you shouldn´t feel the hit.
When bearings of two speed housing loose tightness and start to wobble and or llose fit in the outside, which isvery often due to it´s small size, and that is why on the new G4+Evo they´ve changed them to a bigger size.

Just my 2 cents

AFM
yes I think it was caused by the 2nd gear as you explained it happened at the end of the big turn at the end of our tracks straight where theres a bit of inbetween gears due to the cars speed it likes to jump up and down in gears sometimes I will have to readjust the shoes.
cheers guys!!!
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #10229
ALG
Tech Regular

It's great to read everyone post,
keep up the good info,

Next week I will be racing an Invitationaal race on Argentina, I will keep you all posted of the progess of TM and the race on Argentina.

I will be driving and TM G4SRS+ power by JP Eagle http://www.jpracing.com/en/products/...e_12_TL-3t.php with Enneti tires http://www.jpracing.com/fr/produits/enneti/

Thanks for your support, and have fun

ALG
ALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #10230
Tech Regular

great info about spur gears striping. my problem of the spurs stripping was the fact that the spurs and pinios sucked in dust and little rocks due to going off track. thanks for all the info
Nitro-Racer* is offline   Reply With Quote