R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #9871
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc racer View Post
frustration is putting together your brand new g4+ kit and realizing they didnt include a vital piece of the clutch.

so, after reading some comments on here, am i to assume that the ufo clutch is a POS? you all talk about using a mugen spring, should i just toss the yellow spring my clutch came with?

help out a newbie peeps, y'all aree making a 33 year old man feel like a little kid tugging jumping up and down trying to get the big kids attention :-)
Don't worry nc racer

You have one of the best clutches on the market with your G4.
The yellow spring is fine. It's still a very stiff spring.
Just for your information, these are the clutch springs you can get and use and when in your clutch.

TM Orange 1.7mm ... low to medium grip tracks.
TM Yellow 1.8mm ... medium to high grip tracks
TM Black 1.9mm ... high grip tracks
Mugan HARD
Mugan Super HARD ...
Square Orion spring HARD ... all used on high grip surfaces.

The spring use above is only meant as a guide and not a hard and fast rule.

Also. Try putting just one or 'no' weights in the three 'throw' clutch shoes.
See how you like it. Ensure you measure your clutch clearences accuratly too. Makes all the difference!!

Spend some time getting to know the clutch. It really does make a big difference and keep a note of set up's you like or use. A small change in clutch setting can make a large difference on the track. Take a note then you'll remember what you like and when.

Remember when assembling the clutch that all the shoes slide nice and smoothly in their locations. This is really important for consistant operation.

Regards,
British Menace
Old 09-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #9872
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
frustration is putting together your brand new g4+ kit and realizing they didnt include a vital piece of the clutch.

so, after reading some comments on here, am i to assume that the ufo clutch is a POS? you all talk about using a mugen spring, should i just toss the yellow spring my clutch came with?

help out a newbie peeps, y'all aree making a 33 year old man feel like a little kid tugging jumping up and down trying to get the big kids attention :-)
Ppl using a Mugen HARD spring because they want to add a little bit more of a PUNCH........that is ppl's option. You DO NOT need to follow it. I have use the TM red (stock) and the harder (yellow) and (black) spring and they are just as good.

The UFO clutch is not POS....you have not seen POS clutch yet.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #9873
Tech Regular

Damn with all that aluminum that car looks like a tank. I hope you guys don't have to spend a fortune on replacing those aluminum bulkheads.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #9874
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks so much for the advice British Menace.

i had wondered what those little metal rods i was putting in the shoes were for.

i will say that nitro requires a lot more knowledge than just plugging a battery in and hitting the trigger like my electrics.

i will get the hang of it.
nc racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #9875
Tech Elite

nc racer dont worry bud
You will learn all the ins and outs.
The hard springs we use mostly on high bite or treated tracks and usually its a big race meet.
For club racing depending on the track condition i will change to the red or yellow spring.
The yellow spring actually works very well but make sure you dont over tighten it or it coil binds.

To understand the UFO clutch and how to work with it, read this article by Dennis Ritchy.
The UFO is one of, if not the best clutch available so take your time to understand it.
http://www.kfactoryracing.com/expert...24130345-74975
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #9876
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wow! razzor, you just saved me a ton of headaches with that article.

the g4+ kit said to put in all the weights, so now i have to figure out how to get those little puppies out of my shoes as i'm going to be running mostly on a no bite track.
nc racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #9877
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi guys!

Does any of you guys use the Futaba FASST on your g4rs / g4+.

Are you guys encountering any issues with your receiver?

I'm on HRS mode.. for some weird reason.... doing a 25-30 mins test run will give me a failsafe... im using a xceed lipo bat and regulator. (lipo bat if fully charged).

Just wondering and seeking advice....

if there is someone actually using the futaba FASST 2.4G receiver on the g4rs/g+ kit? How it was mounted/installed to avoid any issues with the said receiver module?

I have the same model/brand of receiver (Futaba FASST 2.4G) on my 720. i dont have any issues with it. could it be, that the receiver is mounted so close to the engine, that it is actually absorbing too much heat?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #9878
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I have the same model/brand of receiver (Futaba FASST 2.4G) on my 720. i dont have any issues with it. could it be, that the receiver is mounted so close to the engine, that it is actually absorbing too much heat?

Could be, although I believe that at the Worlds, Barry Baker had his mounted in the normal position with no problems....

We are using KO and Spektrum 2.4G - we have mounted ours up above the transponder at this stage, not taking any more chances as we have had a lot of radio dramas in the past.....so far, no problems
Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #9879
Tech Elite

There was a issue with teh FAST receiever getting hot due to using lipo reciever batts.
Our local champ had the issues and a few others but they ran offroad.
Turn the top piece of the reciever mount so it covers the engine side to keep heat away and make a lexan cover for the feul tank side.

I use Spektrum Pro and have never had any issues.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:54 AM   #9880
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson View Post
Hi guys!

Does any of you guys use the Futaba FASST on your g4rs / g4+.

Are you guys encountering any issues with your receiver?

I'm on HRS mode.. for some weird reason.... doing a 25-30 mins test run will give me a failsafe... im using a xceed lipo bat and regulator. (lipo bat if fully charged).

Just wondering and seeking advice....

if there is someone actually using the futaba FASST 2.4G receiver on the g4rs/g+ kit? How it was mounted/installed to avoid any issues with the said receiver module?

i used the Futaba Faast when i was running the G4RS. i didnt really have an issue, but found that in HRS mode, the battery didnt last as long, due to running both digital servos . also do make sure your end points are set correctly or it will suck power like you wouldnt believe. there is no steering stop, it will start pushing the steering hub into the pivot ball, and increase load to do so. but no issues whn i ran it. now im running it in the 720
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #9881
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
i used the Futaba Faast when i was running the G4RS. i didnt really have an issue, but found that in HRS mode, the battery didnt last as long, due to running both digital servos . also do make sure your end points are set correctly or it will suck power like you wouldnt believe. there is no steering stop, it will start pushing the steering hub into the pivot ball, and increase load to do so. but no issues whn i ran it. now im running it in the 720
Hey Paul so how is your picco tune going??did you get it sorted??
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #9882
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
Hey Paul so how is your picco tune going??did you get it sorted??
cheers
not yet. will be my engine weekend this weekend. pull em all down , check em out and put em back together. so ill let ya know
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #9883
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
Tnx! Hmm I'm wondering if you put a plastic or rubr cover on your receiver? I'm using a plastic to wrap it up, for extra protection. I'm thinking of removing the plastic and just put silicon (for glass, used in aquariums) on the terminals. I'm assuming I'll get more air circulation, by doing so..

Hmmm. How does your 720 works for you? I've been run'n the 720 for about a year and half.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #9884
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson View Post
Tnx! Hmm I'm wondering if you put a plastic or rubr cover on your receiver? I'm using a plastic to wrap it up, for extra protection. I'm thinking of removing the plastic and just put silicon (for glass, used in aquariums) on the terminals. I'm assuming I'll get more air circulation, by doing so..

Hmmm. How does your 720 works for you? I've been run'n the 720 for about a year and half.
i did use an insulation with it though. and later i moved the radio gear around, by making a new radio tray to suit my desires.
the 720 was an easy transition. im faster already second time out with the 720.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #9885
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
wow! razzor, you just saved me a ton of headaches with that article.

the g4+ kit said to put in all the weights, so now i have to figure out how to get those little puppies out of my shoes as i'm going to be running mostly on a no bite track.
If your having trouble getting them out try a big magnet, worked for me after hours of frustration