R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #9496
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
This is the thing I would like to do right after the Byron race....it is 100 times better then the original setup, and I am sure my cornering will be alot faster this time. The best part....cost like then $10 to do that....(wondering why TM does not want to do this the beginning...). I will be heading to Racine for the 4th leg of the Mid West Series....this time I feel more comfortable then the Chicago Leg with my Serpent 720.

I know Jonnysocko had his own version done for the upcoming Great Lake Challenge plus other modification, I will post pictures of his version after the GLC....good luck there Socko.

Also, good luck to the Iowa gang @ the "Heat of America" event...bring home the GOLD...

Thanks for the encouragement Solara! I can't wait to try out the new car. I am glad I could meet you in person at the Byron's race. I was also wondering why TM never included the drag brake adjustment. I am still trying to find time to make a trip up to Leisure Hours again.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #9497
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keavze View Post
+ is nicer to look at and stiffer with more alum parts...better for high traction tracks...

RS has abit more flex/roll due to plastic parts used and better in low traction tracks.

if you're buying new...go for the RS!

you can always 'hopup' to the + parts if needed. RS has the latest narrower chassis.
well...i've converted + to RS by fitting the + parts onto a RS chassis (with some rear RS parts).

so...i've got the RS+?
NitroWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #9498
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by keavze View Post
you're talking about the extended 'braking arm' or the 'shielded rx'?
No...I won't waste time to just EXTEND the brake lever....it is the "thumb adjust" drag brake modification. Most nitro car use that, and that is what drag brake suppose to use. That way...I can adjust the drag braking 1 turn at a time to setup the perfect braking.

The original way...is kinda like the Sony Playstation controller...digital, versus analog, there were no in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcrc View Post
Thanks for the encouragement Solara! I can't wait to try out the new car. I am glad I could meet you in person at the Byron's race. I was also wondering why TM never included the drag brake adjustment. I am still trying to find time to make a trip up to Leisure Hours again.
Your RS is on the way...you will love it, then we can talk more about the future modification. The car is great, and these mod are just little stuff here and there, so no major modification are required. Just trying to make a fast and good car faster and better. Socko is running quite alot of testing and fabrication now. And with Baker aboard, these guy will make the G4RS even better.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #9499
Tech Adept

What is the difference between the std internal ratio from the original G4 compared to the ED trans for the latest model? I heard they are different (oner shorter) etc. but what are the numbers?

Also whats's the effect? If changing gears and pinions you can achieve the same final ratio, what's the advantage or disadvantage of having a different internal ratio?
miker2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #9500
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2209 View Post
What is the difference between the std internal ratio from the original G4 compared to the ED trans for the latest model? I heard they are different (oner shorter) etc. but what are the numbers?

Also whats's the effect? If changing gears and pinions you can achieve the same final ratio, what's the advantage or disadvantage of having a different internal ratio?
they changed the internal ratio to effectively slow down the speed of the 2 speed shaft. so its turning slower, less stress on the bearings etc. by doing this they needed new pinion sizes to change the 1st 2nd gear ratio. now compared to std trans, what you have is a car that has a higher firsst ratio, which accelerates faster, but still retains close to the 2nd ratio. the effeciency has increased so there for the load on the motors are less, you create less heat and use less fuel.
std trans for the G4S 1st gear best possible accel ratio is 7.29:1 and 2nd gear is 5.16:1
the ED trans best possible 1st is 7.59 :1 2nd 5.14 :1
you can see that 1st gear ratio is better for quicker acceleration, but still remains close to the final ratio required so it doesnt lack the top end speed.
hope this helps you.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #9501
Tech Elite

Solara that is a popular mod on teh S. I just put a small electric pinion gear on the brake rod.
Still find it strange you guys are having radio issues from the motor temps

Car looks good though
keep us posted on progress and thoughts.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #9502
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
they changed the internal ratio to effectively slow down the speed of the 2 speed shaft. so its turning slower, less stress on the bearings etc. by doing this they needed new pinion sizes to change the 1st 2nd gear ratio. now compared to std trans, what you have is a car that has a higher firsst ratio, which accelerates faster, but still retains close to the 2nd ratio. the effeciency has increased so there for the load on the motors are less, you create less heat and use less fuel.
std trans for the G4S 1st gear best possible accel ratio is 7.29:1 and 2nd gear is 5.16:1
the ED trans best possible 1st is 7.59 :1 2nd 5.14 :1
you can see that 1st gear ratio is better for quicker acceleration, but still remains close to the final ratio required so it doesnt lack the top end speed.
hope this helps you.
Ok, i understand.What was the internal ratio of the G4S and what is now with the ED trans?

Thanks for the info
miker2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #9503
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2209 View Post
Ok, i understand.What was the internal ratio of the G4S and what is now with the ED trans?

Thanks for the info
G4S by memory 2.55 ?
ED 2.19
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #9504
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Solara that is a popular mod on teh S. I just put a small electric pinion gear on the brake rod.
Still find it strange you guys are having radio issues from the motor temps

Car looks good though
keep us posted on progress and thoughts.
Yeah, I am sure it is nothing new...but my question is, why TM still like that collar style braking linkage....I don't see there is 1 advantage about that.

Your pinion methrod sounds great...can you post a picture cause I kinda don't like that plastic ball cup material, when the linkage drag hard enough, it kinda tweak that ball cup.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #9505
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Yeah, I am sure it is nothing new...but my question is, why TM still like that collar style braking linkage....I don't see there is 1 advantage about that.

Your pinion methrod sounds great...can you post a picture cause I kinda don't like that plastic ball cup material, when the linkage drag hard enough, it kinda tweak that ball cup.
I have never been happy about the ball cup connecting to the brake lever also over time the cup wears when the small disc down the brake shaft starts to wear around the edges of the circle?TM need to make the material less wearing on that and a better ball cup!
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #9506
Tech Adept

I agree for the ball cup. I had someone hit me on the side in a sweeper just before the straight away. I go full speed down the straight and brake just before the hairpin and in horror realize that my car is not stopping. I broke the front belt, snapped the speed shot carbon fiber, broke a wheel, etc... The ball cup gets weak over time and one little hit and the ball cup will come off.
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #9507
Tech Adept

Solara,
What are you using on the end of the brake arm?
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #9508
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Charles,

Solara has a pic of my brake setup with the Mugen arm. I flipped the stock brake wire around and put the Mugen adjusting knob at the servo end. I bent the wire 90' at the opposite end and installed it along with the Mugen brake arm. The Mugen arm needs a shorter pin for the brake post so use the one for the Mugen as the TM kit pin is too long.

Socko
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #9509
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarko View Post
is there a 4mm chassis I can fit on the G4RS ?
bump ... anyone ?
Omarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #9510
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarko View Post
bump ... anyone ?
no there isnt.
if you want a 4mm chassis, then you can drop all the RS stuff on the G4S 4mm chassis and use the old back plate and hingepins. and some spacers for the lower rear arm.