R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #9406
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
well ill let you in on what i use for brakes.
i use the std G4Rs 2 speed shaft. i then use the G4+ 21t brake pulley. i grind a flat section on the 2 speed shaft and use strong loctite on the grub screw for the brake pulley. i like to use this pulley becuase i can use the smaller KF brake disc. there are no touching issues with this combination. plus i like the alloy pulley as its near direct heat of the engine, and the side guides for the belt are stronger than the plastic one.
An excelent idea Patto.
Good work!
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #9407
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post

Solara

Guess what? I just put my Nova Rossi motor in the car getting ready for the Byrons race and the Brake disk just touches the motor ????? Never had that before ??....lol. Will shave a few microns off the motor to get clearence. Made me laugh after you had said.

Regards,
British Menace

PS: I'll be trying to get the big grill down for us so don't forget your meat and buns
Tony....not my NS12, brake disk still a few mm away from the case. Nor on Sockco's Speed II....I am not sure Juchca's 353 will have that issue or not but will find out this SUN. But again, we are running the RS, and I am not sure what are the different between the RS and the rest of the G4 series....still new on this platform.
Yeah, I think that has something to do with me not isolated the receiver from the chassis HIGH enough. Chassis was about 120 degree F (not 12 degree C). From my experience, this chassis is ALOT hotter then any of my Serpents before (10th or 8th)...must be the T6 material.

But I have way more then enough expericen doing DNF because of the receiver failure due to FUEL issue (mechanic trying to do 2 second fuel when I am expecting him to do a 5 second refuel....whats the hurry?) So I better mount the receiver upfront to be SAFE then sorry.....we all know, SH_T does happen. I would rather see my car FULL WOOD at the end of the sweeper crash to the side board, total the whole car then getting a DNF because my recevier got wet.....really.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #9408
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Tony....not my NS12, brake disk still a few mm away from the case. Nor on Sockco's Speed II....I am not sure Juchca's 353 will have that issue or not but will find out this SUN. But again, we are running the RS, and I am not sure what are the different between the RS and the rest of the G4 series....still new on this platform.
Yeah, I think that has something to do with me not isolated the receiver from the chassis HIGH enough. Chassis was about 120 degree F (not 12 degree C). From my experience, this chassis is ALOT hotter then any of my Serpents before (10th or 8th)...must be the T6 material.

But I have way more then enough expericen doing DNF because of the receiver failure due to FUEL issue (mechanic trying to do 2 second fuel when I am expecting him to do a 5 second refuel....whats the hurry?) So I better mount the receiver upfront to be SAFE then sorry.....we all know, SH_T does happen. I would rather see my car FULL WOOD at the end of the sweeper crash to the side board, total the whole car then getting a DNF because my recevier got wet.....really.
Yes. Good point! Especially with an hour long final. Can never be too careful!
Rick is mounting his RX ontop of the transponder mount. Not sure about his regulator cause he's running a Li-Po. Where he's putting that I don't know!

Will you be there Friday Solara?
Sorry, typo on the 12 degrees C...... lol Meant 120 degrees C. Now thats prety hot.
Yeah. I've also noticed the chassis does get warm doesn't it? Your probably right in that it's possibly the T6 material. Makes for a good heat sink though....... .....as long as you don't burn yourself. Lol

Regards,
British Menace
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #9409
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Yes. Good point! Especially with an hour long final. Can never be too careful!
Rick is mounting his RX ontop of the transponder mount. Not sure about his regulator cause he's running a Li-Po. Where he's putting that I don't know!

Will you be there Friday Solara?
Sorry, typo on the 12 degrees C...... lol Meant 120 degrees C. Now thats prety hot.
Yeah. I've also noticed the chassis does get warm doesn't it? Your probably right in that it's possibly the T6 material. Makes for a good heat sink though....... .....as long as you don't burn yourself. Lol

Regards,
British Menace
I will see I can do a 1/2 from work and setup my pit there and final engine testing (not much testing I need cause engine is pretty stock just need to car to run without any other little issue).

Yeah, 120 Degree C, I doubt any plastic can stand with those heat...definitely not my receiver. Rick is mounting it ABOVE the plate. I like it under pointing south so I can mount AMB above. But I am not sure my AMB will read with mounting position like that..?

TM use T6 because Taiwan build a lot of airplane....T6 is everywhere over there, they use T6 for Coca Cola can....(no, just kidding).
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #9410
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,302
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Tony,

I'm not running lipo yet. Still testing with the 1100 pack. I have the RX on top of the mount and the transponder mounted to the stock transponder mount. I ran the wires between the RX mount and the transponder mount. This gives you a nice spot to bundle your wires without worry of them dragging on the ground. You can check it out for yourself when you get to the track. I even made up a splash guard from .040 lexan to keep fuel out of the RX during pit stops.

Socko
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #9411
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Yes. Good point! Especially with an hour long final. Can never be too careful!
Rick is mounting his RX ontop of the transponder mount. Not sure about his regulator cause he's running a Li-Po. Where he's putting that I don't know!

Will you be there Friday Solara?
Sorry, typo on the 12 degrees C...... lol Meant 120 degrees C. Now thats prety hot.
Yeah. I've also noticed the chassis does get warm doesn't it? Your probably right in that it's possibly the T6 material. Makes for a good heat sink though....... .....as long as you don't burn yourself. Lol

Regards,
British Menace
I will see I can do a 1/2 day from work and setup my pit there and final engine testing on next Friday (not much testing I need cause engine is pretty stock just need the car to run without any other little issue).

Yeah, not 120 Degree C, I doubt any plastic can stand with those heat...definitely not my receiver. Rick is mounting it ABOVE the plate. I like it under pointing south so I can mount AMB above. But I am not sure my AMB will read with mounting position like that..?

TM use T6 because Taiwan build a lot of airplane and parts....T6 is everywhere over there, they use T6 for Coca Cola can....(no, just kidding).

Yeah....Rick's splash guard is a good touch...I mounted mine last night, it is awesome. But Rick's already got his Verision 2.0 on Sunday, mine is still verion 1.0....I might need the update. LOL

Rick, what SIZE are those inner tire tube for bicycle that you were talking about @ Walmart...? Do you know the size actually?
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #9412
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,302
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Howard,

I have your splash guard already done. I'll bring it with me. I think the tube size is 1.75 x 26. I'll check tonight when I get home.
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #9413
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySocko View Post
Howard,

I have your splash guard already done. I'll bring it with me. I think the tube size is 1.75 x 26. I'll check tonight when I get home.
Wooo Hooo.....version 2.0 upgraded....LOL. Thanks Rick. (BTW....I felt a lot better having the recevier away from the original location, probably that made me feel like the WET recevier will not happen again this year...I HOPE).
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #9414
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,338
Default

Hey Solara,

Nice paint job on the car.....looks cool!
I'm hoping to get down to the track friday pm for some practice. I want to try a different set-up I've been working on.

Rick,
Sorry. Thought you were going to try and run a Li-Po.

Whats a quick lap around Leisure Hours now for 200mm?

Regards,
British Menace

Hope to see you there.

British Menace
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #9415
Tech Elite
 
DENNIS STORTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Horsham
Posts: 2,400
Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS STORTI
Default

build is just about done IDM Engine is on its way and electrics to follow by thursday or friday

on the aluminum Tony knows he seen pictures of my old g4 i had every imaginable option made an i did like some for the perfect fit an finish i never have been a fan of the stamped piece either on the sides i will replace them to make in more true on fittment
Attached Thumbnails
Team Magic G4-100_0419.jpg  
DENNIS STORTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #9416
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
you have edited my quote. ill refrase this.
Front sway bar, Flat
Rear Sway bar, hard, Verticle.
i have travelled to a few different tracks in the last year, and 10K diff fluid seems to be the best all round starting point. but this is for my driving and how i like my car, everyone is different. but yes 10K is ok . Droop i tend to use 0 front and 3-4 rear. the G4+ has a 4mm chassis. one thing to try is to remove the screws on the X brace to the radio tray. this will give you more steering. i find the 4mm chassis too stiff and only really suited for high traction tracks.

Tried the setup.. it handles better now.. there is a bit of oversteer on power, corner entry.


my front droop is initially on 2, made it 1... ill try the zero front droop later.

The stiff rear sway bar.. works great..

our track is high traction..
jabasolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #9417
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Clutch setup for rookie..

Gentlemen.. need some help with the clutch setup..

When I nail the throttle, clutch engages well off the corners, but when moving slowly, or from a standstill, with the throttle 1/4 open (low revs) the clutch seems to grab and lower the revs, then disengage, then again grab, bring the revs down then disengage then grab... and go... (all within a second)

Needless to say Iím still new to the world of nitro rc, this is my first G4S and need some guidance.... I've have a good smooth clutch setup for 8 meetings, until now..

In an attempt to resolve the issue I have tried,

1. reduce the end play and increase the gap, (with a view to allow the engine to rev higher before engaging)
2. reduce the clutch gap and increase the spring tension..

Where to from here? Or is this simply a symptom of a worn clutch shoe?
anthony_ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:15 AM   #9418
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_ling View Post
Gentlemen.. need some help with the clutch setup..

When I nail the throttle, clutch engages well off the corners, but when moving slowly, or from a standstill, with the throttle 1/4 open (low revs) the clutch seems to grab and lower the revs, then disengage, then again grab, bring the revs down then disengage then grab... and go... (all within a second)

Needless to say Iím still new to the world of nitro rc, this is my first G4S and need some guidance.... I've have a good smooth clutch setup for 8 meetings, until now..

In an attempt to resolve the issue I have tried,

1. reduce the end play and increase the gap, (with a view to allow the engine to rev higher before engaging)
2. reduce the clutch gap and increase the spring tension..

Where to from here? Or is this simply a symptom of a worn clutch shoe?
can you give the exact clutch setup you are using. might be able to help. usually also 8 meetings is a long life of a clutch shoe. might want to replace it while its apart. what can happen is the shoe wears so much, that the clutch spring in turn adds tension as the shoe has to travle further, unless you regularly setup your clutch to the same settings all the time.
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #9419
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks pattojnr, clutch gap was .4 mm, I found that Iím missing the shims between the spring adjustment nut and the clutch bell..

no shims means that the clutch bell doesnít spin freely, I guess this explains it... I'll report back after Sundayís meeting...

at the second last meeting one of the more experienced drivers said that my clutch was too hard and was causing a handling problem (loose coming on power out of the corners) , he suggested to minimized the clutch gap.... so I did the only way I knew how..


Check out this video
http://www.revver.com/video/231483/j...ne-and-clutch/

Can someone explain how you can tune the clutch on the ground like this...
I've seen some of the 1/8th guys doing this at my local track, is it just a sound and feel thing ?? .... as a newbie... I guess that once Iím happy with the clutch on the track I can do this procedure and see how it feels / sounds...
I've got no chance doing this now at home cause I don't know how it should feel..
anthony_ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #9420
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_ling View Post
Thanks pattojnr, clutch gap was .4 mm, I found that Iím missing the shims between the spring adjustment nut and the clutch bell..

no shims means that the clutch bell doesnít spin freely, I guess this explains it... I'll report back after Sundayís meeting...

at the second last meeting one of the more experienced drivers said that my clutch was too hard and was causing a handling problem (loose coming on power out of the corners) , he suggested to minimized the clutch gap.... so I did the only way I knew how..


Check out this video
http://www.revver.com/video/231483/j...ne-and-clutch/

Can someone explain how you can tune the clutch on the ground like this...
I've seen some of the 1/8th guys doing this at my local track, is it just a sound and feel thing ?? .... as a newbie... I guess that once Iím happy with the clutch on the track I can do this procedure and see how it feels / sounds...
I've got no chance doing this now at home cause I don't know how it should feel..
ok there are pins in the flyout shoes, there should be 2 inserts per shoe weight. a clutch gap of 0.4mm is fine. try to use 0.5mm clutch spring tension, and use no weights in these flyout shoes. spring if you have an option, use a hard spring. this will give late engagement but not hard hitting clutch. if you use the red clutch shoe, then this will give a bit more slippage .

those 1/8ths, they are setting the clutch to actually slip, then they back the spring off , thats how they set the tension on the spring. but they have more power from these engines. its a way to soften the blow on a happy throttle finger.
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Magic G4 - LRP Z12R Team Spec 2 - Add RX/TX LogiK Australia For Sale/Trade 1 08-03-2007 02:00 AM
Team Magic G4s MaDaGAS CAR Australia For Sale/Trade 29 05-07-2007 03:30 AM
Brian Berry Joins Team Phenix/Team Magic Motorman Nitro On-Road 27 03-07-2006 05:51 AM
team magic g4 + elephant R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 04-26-2004 07:34 AM
Team Magic G4 "Black Magic" tennessee Nitro On-Road 32 04-20-2003 11:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:38 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net