R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #8866
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

if I was to keep the g4s what is a definate must to upgrade it with?

and can you also give me price estimates.

like in know ED tranny is one and thats like $120
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #8867
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution View Post
if I was to keep the g4s what is a definate must to upgrade it with?

and can you also give me price estimates.

like in know ED tranny is one and thats like $120
well you can get the G4RS plastic pulley set, now uses the older shaft and pin system, just like the G4S does. so you can get the ED pullies in plastic to suit now. get the rear diff pulley, and the front diff pulley. probably around $20 here, get yourself the 16/21 ed pinions and go from here. you rprobably going to be looking around the $60 - $70 to change the rear shock mount bracket, rear top arms, and the flash hubs. so for that kind of money, its worth sticking with what you have at the moment. $70-$90 will change your car quite alot and you wil see some rear grip come your way , and acceleration.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #8868
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

hey Paul are guys customising the shocks the same as the G4S for the G4RS??
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #8869
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
hey Paul are guys customising the shocks the same as the G4S for the G4RS??
cheers
i have a std set of G4S shocks, and a set of G4+ shocks. all done differently. i hope to do some testing today , so i will get back to you on what i find works out the best. ill be away till monday, so ill get back to you soon
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #8870
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution View Post
Ok guys heres my delema.

I want to get into serious racing this year.

I currently have a OLD mongoose with a novarossi no electronics.

and a TM G4S with a JLR and electronics.

should I

A) sell the mongoose with engine and pipe for $100 and the G4S as a roller no electronics or JLR for $150 and pay the difference to get a G4RS.

or

B) Sell the Mongoose with its engine, keep the G4S and JLR and race that.

or

C) sell everything and look for a G4+ some where if someoen still has one, new of course.

I have the money and selling the 2 cars wouldnt phase me,and i heard the g4RS is a completely different chassis from the g4s so it wouldnt make sense to keep the g4s with the g4rs.

is the g4RS a completely new car and a better performer than the g4s? I saw that the g4rs didnt have the lockable one way bearing in the front and had a diff....ewwww.

anyways I have been out of the r/c scene since august and I need some advice.
if I was you, I would sell everything except the JLR (you didn't say how old it is?) and get a G4RS ! It has all the improved parts and a new shorter and slimmer chassis too! True. You do get a front diff' with the kit basically because the 'top' drivers using the car have been using the a front diff' when they had their recent "good" results, so TM included this in the kit. It does mean you can tune the front to how you like it! I personally do like to run the front spool as I know many others do although I have found you get a better feel with the car when you do find the right Diff' oil combination for the track your on.

Any way. My thoughts...............

I don't think you'll be dissopointed in the RS. It brings together everything TM and K Factory have come up with that works and put it in the RS !!

I think if you chose to keep the G4s. You would only find yourself look at upgrading part by part to the RS stuff.

All the best with your choice and your 'serious' race season......

British Menace
Old 01-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #8871
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

To Patto

The G4RS - it is Nice! - - I like

after the 5th round we are sitting 7th & 10th ( father & son).... round 5 i was on target to go p4 but stripped 2nd gear with 1 min to go, and still bettered my best time.

I am not enjoying the TM receiver packs though....you did warn me but I never thought they'd be so ......anyway...

I think i have found some serious direction with regards to setup...man these cars are cool...I'll talk 2 you on MSN

Lue
Old 01-26-2008, 04:01 AM   #8872
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp Racer View Post
To Patto

after the 5th round we are sitting 7th & 10th ( father & son).... round 5 i was on target to go p4 but stripped 2nd gear with 1 min to go, and still bettered my best time.

I am not enjoying the TM receiver packs though....you did warn me but I never thought they'd be so ......anyway...

I think i have found some serious direction with regards to setup...man these cars are cool...I'll talk 2 you on MSN

Lue
hey sp are you finding the run time a little short , what size battery came with the kit?
cheers
Old 01-26-2008, 05:39 AM   #8873
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
hey sp are you finding the run time a little short , what size battery came with the kit?
cheers
If the only problem was the run time I'd be happy.....the RS doesn't come with a battery pack, but we are using the TM 1100mah packs.

We had 2 almost brand new packs short out internally - mine shorted out when the car was at full throttle...into a concrete kerb. I'll leave the rest to your imagination, but it took me almost 2 solid hours and I missed a round getting everything back together..

It also seems ( and I say seems because I'm not 100% sure yet) that the AAA batteries may not be able to handle the current draw of digital servos.

Lipo is looking good
Old 01-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #8874
Tech Elite

Quote:
If the only problem was the run time I'd be happy.....the RS doesn't come with a battery pack, but we are using the TM 1100mah packs.

We had 2 almost brand new packs short out internally - mine shorted out when the car was at full throttle...into a concrete kerb. I'll leave the rest to your imagination, but it took me almost 2 solid hours and I missed a round getting everything back together..

It also seems ( and I say seems because I'm not 100% sure yet) that the AAA batteries may not be able to handle the current draw of digital servos.

Lipo is looking good
yeh I didnt think the g4rs kit came with a battery as mine is due in a week or so, I am looking at lipo thats for sure 1300mah, and should be a nice fit but the shop I go thru is out of stock, plus its going to be more $$$$ spent as I need to get two batteries regulator x 2 (for two cars) and a charger
but will be worth it in the end. does the kit come with standard metal shielded bearings?I was loooking at a ceremic rubber shielded bearing kit to go in it before I start building??more $$$but hopefully it can get some results and flog that bloody mugen thats been winning at my track the last two years. watch this space!
cheers
cheers
Old 01-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #8875
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

Quote:
To Patto

Lue
What is wrong with the TM battery pack? does one have to run the TM pack?

Thanks Jason.
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #8876
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

Quote:
To Patto

Lue
What is wrong with the TM battery pack? does one have to run the TM pack?

Thanks Jason.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #8877
Tech Addict

Quote:
To Patto

Lue
Is the the TM battery pack the only option to use on the TM onroad cars?

Thanks Jason.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #8878
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscamry View Post
Is the the TM battery pack the only option to use on the TM onroad cars?

Thanks Jason.
the TM battery is designed for the car but you can go lipo if you want but you need to modify your radio plate with a dremel!
cheers
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #8879
Tech Addict

Quote:
the TM battery is designed for the car but you can go lipo if you want but you need to modify your radio plate with a dremel!
cheers
thanks for the info, I was looking to get a new charger the supports lipos!

~Jason
Old 01-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #8880
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

so for all out serious racing the G4RS is better set than the G4+?

the Mongoose is deff. going, and the g4s is gonan follow 90% chance.

I want to start fresh.

the JLR .12 i am keeping as a practice/backup engine, and i will pickup a new JL3 (the revised jlr). my current jlr has maybe 3/4 of a gallon through it.

i just need to know if the g4rs has all the newest and greatest parts out off all the current models.

I have driven with a front one way since I started, how different is it to used to a diff in the front?

and the rs comes with the ED transmission and UFO2 clutch out of the box right?

also who carries parts for the g4 in the states now?

is it TM only?
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote