R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #7756
Tech Master
 
grub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Congrats to Muppet for winning the 6th round of the UK championship
A real asset to the G4S guys.
Looks like he is heading for another championship win with 2 rounds left.
Closest challenger is young Kyle Branson followed by Steve Brown, both are Serpent drivers.

Muppet/Daz has TQ'd all rounds except the last round 6.
He has 2 wins, 2 2nds, 1 4th and a 8th

To those who dont know muppet/Daz has been uk Champ with the G4 from 2004 in the rubber tyre class and 2005/2006 in 200mm foam tyre class and is also the no2 from last years Euro champs.

Good going Muppet keep it up
well done daz
__________________
This is my xray nt1!
There are many other xray nt1's like it, but this one is mine!
Without my xray nt1,I am nothing!
Without me, my xray nt1 is nothing!
pop corn anyone or maybe some fairy floss
grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #7757
Tech Fanatic
 
gansei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bander, Seoul
Posts: 889
Default recent my clutch setup

recent my clutch setup

2 weight shim
clutch gap 0.7mm
end play 0.6mm
mugen super hard spring 0.6~0.7mm lock
black shoe
__________________
MY SPONSORS:

★ Show Hobby(Novarossi)
Km Racing HK1 Meen Version
Another Nick: Bander
gansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #7758
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gansei View Post
recent my clutch setup

2 weight shim
clutch gap 0.7mm
end play 0.6mm
mugen super hard spring 0.6~0.7mm lock
black shoe
i dont know how you can run such an enplay gap that almost matches your clutch gap. im currently using 0.4 clutch gap and 0.1 endplay, and i still have issues with the clutch bell just touching the second gear spur ?? seems the carbon side stiffners on the G4+ makes this even worse. the engine mount is hard against it and wont allow the engine to move back anyfurther. im considering machining the back of the mount down to half its current size to allow the engine to move back further.
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #7759
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

only clearance hassle i had was with teh engine mount touching the brake disc but with some grinding its all good.
Gansei Patto has a point .A large clutch gap and a large endplay cant be good.one of the first things i learned when i got my Serpent Impulse Pro was that i should never allow too much endplay as it stresses the thrust bearing.
It could also be or is most likely the cause of you clutch shoe wearing out fast.
__________________
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:24 AM   #7760
Tech Adept
 
vc05hdt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morley,Perth W.A.
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
only clearance hassle i had was with teh engine mount touching the brake disc but with some grinding its all good.
Gansei Patto has a point .A large clutch gap and a large endplay cant be good.one of the first things i learned when i got my Serpent Impulse Pro was that i should never allow too much endplay as it stresses the thrust bearing.
It could also be or is most likely the cause of you clutch shoe wearing out fast.
Yes I agree. I set my clutch as per G4S book and perfect with approx 0.1mm endplay.
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #7761
Tech Adept
 
bucknuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 213
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
Car was awsome! It was so stable through the chicanes.
The only issue i had was with the clutch. I first started with the red clutch shoe , red counter weights and black 1.8 spring at .5mm spring tension (distance between the top of the threads to the top of the clutch nut.It slipped so much that the clutch shoe melted. I switched to the stock black shoe, stayed with red counter weights and yellow spring and it was better however it kept slipping. i kept loosening the clutch nut untill it was a hair above the threads. Is that possible? Even with the little bit of tension on the spring, the clutch seemed to engage late and stuttered from a standstill. Any suggestions? Could it be the counter weights?

Thanks for all the help!!
Steve,

What's the total pre-load on the spring? The spring tends to be past the start of the threads on mine so the total preload includes the height of the nut. I am currently using the Kyosho copper spring and it is shorter so it doesn't need to be pre-loaded as much. To make mine slip I left the weights out and used a CRF extra hard spring.
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #7762
Tech Master
 
rcrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somewhere Delicious
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution
Default I saw the true face of the G4S today.

Sabotuer and I went to our local track today and we were laying down some laps and I finally tuned my .12 Red-Dot.

last time I was on the track I had a cheaper blue bird servo for steering and throttle, and my car was not dialed in.

Today I went with a new Futuba Digital Coreless servo same blue bird for throttle, but with my car completely dialed in from the TM setup gauges.

Well I put the car on the track and started warming up the engine, a few laps later I tuned the car and started laying down some fast laps.

and MAN does it HAUL, I was taking my turns under power and my car was hugging the track like a fat kid hugs cake, the engine was also blazing up the track, car was really impressing me, I got down a total of 20-30 laps all day long and never had a better experience, we both tapped the sides a few times but didn't break anything, we also had a minor head on to side collision which launched my car 3 feet into the air but nothing broke, I even landed the right way and kept on going .

He has the MTX-4 I have the G4S and both cars were running extremely well.

my confidence level on the track went up 100 points today.

I can only imagine how the g4+ runs when this car runs so freaking well.

but yea towards the end my car started getting a few problems, the most visible was all the dirt all over the place, but the most severe was that my car stopped shifting, maybe the heat got to something in there? I dont get it tho, I took my spurs off and my clutch off and everything was fine I cleaned everything and its still stuck in 1st.

anyways thanks for listening, I am really proud of this car, I was actually able to see my foam tires lose their diamete when I checked after every 5 laps. I went from about 64mm to 60mm and it was a visible change.
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #7763
Tech Regular
 
dnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution View Post
Sabotuer and I went to our local track today and we were laying down some laps and I finally tuned my .12 Red-Dot.

last time I was on the track I had a cheaper blue bird servo for steering and throttle, and my car was not dialed in.

Today I went with a new Futuba Digital Coreless servo same blue bird for throttle, but with my car completely dialed in from the TM setup gauges.

Well I put the car on the track and started warming up the engine, a few laps later I tuned the car and started laying down some fast laps.

and MAN does it HAUL, I was taking my turns under power and my car was hugging the track like a fat kid hugs cake, the engine was also blazing up the track, car was really impressing me, I got down a total of 20-30 laps all day long and never had a better experience, we both tapped the sides a few times but didn't break anything, we also had a minor head on to side collision which launched my car 3 feet into the air but nothing broke, I even landed the right way and kept on going .

He has the MTX-4 I have the G4S and both cars were running extremely well.

my confidence level on the track went up 100 points today.

I can only imagine how the g4+ runs when this car runs so freaking well.

but yea towards the end my car started getting a few problems, the most visible was all the dirt all over the place, but the most severe was that my car stopped shifting, maybe the heat got to something in there? I dont get it tho, I took my spurs off and my clutch off and everything was fine I cleaned everything and its still stuck in 1st.

anyways thanks for listening, I am really proud of this car, I was actually able to see my foam tires lose their diamete when I checked after every 5 laps. I went from about 64mm to 60mm and it was a visible change.
Thats what I'm talking about. Enjoy the stock car first and find out how good it handles. Nice to hear that you got a great day at the track. Now you have an idea of how the stock car handles--a baseline if you will. If you do change some parts to the G4+, you will notice if they make a difference or not.

You said at the end of the day, you noticed the car not shifting. Maybe your engine is so tuned, that it shifts the 2 speed too early and you're not noticing it. Tighten the two speed screws 1/4 turn at a time. Also check that the housing on the 2nd spur (smaller) is tight. if it comes loose, it won't shift. Good luck
__________________
TM G4S
IDM Evo3
dnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #7764
Tech Adept
 
vc05hdt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morley,Perth W.A.
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution View Post
Sabotuer and I went to our local track today and we were laying down some laps and I finally tuned my .12 Red-Dot.

last time I was on the track I had a cheaper blue bird servo for steering and throttle, and my car was not dialed in.

Today I went with a new Futuba Digital Coreless servo same blue bird for throttle, but with my car completely dialed in from the TM setup gauges.

Well I put the car on the track and started warming up the engine, a few laps later I tuned the car and started laying down some fast laps.

and MAN does it HAUL, I was taking my turns under power and my car was hugging the track like a fat kid hugs cake, the engine was also blazing up the track, car was really impressing me, I got down a total of 20-30 laps all day long and never had a better experience, we both tapped the sides a few times but didn't break anything, we also had a minor head on to side collision which launched my car 3 feet into the air but nothing broke, I even landed the right way and kept on going .

He has the MTX-4 I have the G4S and both cars were running extremely well.

my confidence level on the track went up 100 points today.

I can only imagine how the g4+ runs when this car runs so freaking well.

but yea towards the end my car started getting a few problems, the most visible was all the dirt all over the place, but the most severe was that my car stopped shifting, maybe the heat got to something in there? I dont get it tho, I took my spurs off and my clutch off and everything was fine I cleaned everything and its still stuck in 1st.

anyways thanks for listening, I am really proud of this car, I was actually able to see my foam tires lose their diamete when I checked after every 5 laps. I went from about 64mm to 60mm and it was a visible change.
Hey RC, what pipe were you using with the "Red Dot" ?
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #7765
Tech Master
 
rcrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somewhere Delicious
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution
Default

Skyline 12Plus pipe
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 AM   #7766
Tech Regular
 
dnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 311
Default

Hey guys,

FYI

Dennis Richey is back in the hobby. Dennis and Phenix distribution is the new distributor of Picco IDM engines. He has been posting in the nitro engine thread under IDM engines. For those of you who don't know Dennis, he started this thread and gave us updates on the G4s before it came out the market. He has given countless amount of good info on the G4s and set-up. I met him at the 2006 nationals back when he was still TM distributor. Top class guy!
__________________
TM G4S
IDM Evo3
dnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #7767
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

Saw that and its great to have him still involved in RC
Lots of the improvements in particular the ED was due to work he did on the
G4S.
He is a engine GURU of note too
He used to be involved in speed boats and is very clued up with motors.
So IDM boys might be getting spoilt with some Richey tuned motors soon
__________________
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #7768
Tech Elite
 
aussies1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LAND DOWN UNDER
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default ufo clutch not engaging properly?

hi everyone I just installed a new ufo clutch on my g4s rtr and I am having problems getting it to engage properly. I installed it as per the kfactory recommendation by dennis richely and what came with the clutch and then rebuilt it again to see if I stuffed something up but no it still wont engage only slightly, firstly do i need to put the medium size washer on first then the collet or dont I need the washer? secondly I have one weight in each shoe and the round nut tightened down onto the spring with the second thread just slightly showing, how much do I need to have showingwhen i tighten the round nut onto the spring?I have read around1mm for the black spring but I also have a yellow? now when everything is on pinions etc there is the slightest of movement when I pull the bell in and out?the bell spins freely also.has anyone got any suggestions it would be appreciated as i followed the installation instructions on how to install very closely but its still not right.
thanks!
Michael
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #7769
Tech Master
 
rcrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somewhere Delicious
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution
Default

anyone find a crash kit yet for the g4s?

Im trying to put an order together at raceday but cant think of what else I need.

I have hubs front rear, rod ends, spur gears, pins, shims and an extra thrust bearing.

what else do I need?


I think I built my rear diffs wrong though cause its leaking fluid all over the place so I need to order a rebuild kit.


Also do you think I should use the new black spring with less coils from raceday or use the mugen super hard spring I already have?
a crash kit would make this so much easier.
umm

HELP!
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #7770
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution View Post
anyone find a crash kit yet for the g4s?

Im trying to put an order together at raceday but cant think of what else I need.

I have hubs front rear, rod ends, spur gears, pins, shims and an extra thrust bearing.

what else do I need?


I think I built my rear diffs wrong though cause its leaking fluid all over the place so I need to order a rebuild kit.


Also do you think I should use the new black spring with less coils from raceday or use the mugen super hard spring I already have?
a crash kit would make this so much easier.
umm

HELP!
IMO : Mugen Super Hard Spring ( Silver white color ) ? Brand New Clutch Shoe ( Red ) ? Glow plugs ? Tires ? E-clips ? Body Clips ? Check receiver battery ?

Complete set of 1st gear ? ( 1st spur gear, one way housing )
Complete set of 2nd gear ? ( 2nd spur gear, the housing )

So if sux happens ( ruined spur gear ), your mechanic can take out the old one and drop in the new one.... fast, F1 style

Good luck man !!! All the best
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Magic G4 - LRP Z12R Team Spec 2 - Add RX/TX LogiK Australia For Sale/Trade 1 08-03-2007 02:00 AM
Team Magic G4s MaDaGAS CAR Australia For Sale/Trade 29 05-07-2007 03:30 AM
Brian Berry Joins Team Phenix/Team Magic Motorman Nitro On-Road 27 03-07-2006 05:51 AM
team magic g4 + elephant R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 04-26-2004 07:34 AM
Team Magic G4 "Black Magic" tennessee Nitro On-Road 32 04-20-2003 11:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:10 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net