Team Magic G4

Old 06-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by johnhsp
today modify serpent pinion to my G4S,here is picture hope can use
Great Mod !!!

Do you change the whole G4S clutch system ? How about the Spur Gears ?

Original G4S clutch shoe is expensive ( than Mugen ) and they don't last very long even with the Red shoe ( harder ). I could use max twice.... and that's it.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Its very interesting that many have problem with clutches. as myself i have seen no real wear, still currently using the same setup that arrived in the kit when bought start of the year..!

Question are you guys struggling with the clutch due to more powerful engines?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak
Its very interesting that many have problem with clutches. as myself i have seen no real wear, still currently using the same setup that arrived in the kit when bought start of the year..!

you can see my UFO black shoe only 1 day using.
i setup clearance(clutch gap) only 0.3mm to minimize shoe wear out.
and meet timing also very fast (loosing clutch spring)

UFO Shoe is very thin compare with mugen,serpent one.
when i used UFO shoe.. any moment..
clutch bell inside meets shoe plate for shoe wear out.
another shoe(serpent,mugen etc on) had long life But G4S is not..

i maybe used 20 piece G4S shoe during 1 year.
But other driver(serpent,mugen..) used 1 shoe during over 3-4 months

i always used modified engine.
so i suffer shoe wear more than other G4S user
bacause too much horse power of my engine ????

G4S shoe must be more thick !!!
Attached Thumbnails Team Magic G4-sany0001.jpg   Team Magic G4-sany0003.jpg   Team Magic G4-sany0004.jpg  

Last edited by gansei; 06-11-2007 at 05:20 AM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

From the time I started driving the G4S i have trashed 1 black shoe and 1 red shoe but not from wear but a clutch bell that had flashing on the little holes on the contact area that made it sandpaper the shoes to nothing.
Other than that incident i havent had any excessive wear when running my PR12 or DSII.My guess is the clutch setups used are more borderline to slip for performance hence excessive wear.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I AM STILL IN DIRE NEED OF A ONLINE G4S MANUAL. LINKS ANYONE???
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krafcik
I AM STILL IN DIRE NEED OF A ONLINE G4S MANUAL. LINKS ANYONE???
there are no online G4S Manual..
Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gansei
there are no online G4S Manual..
Seriously? The G4S RTR that i just got, came with a single exploded diagram.

Guess I'll learn by fire!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi gansei,

With the clutch, I think you need to chamfer the holes in your clutch bell a little more, so they are smooth and will not wear the shoe so much.

The ridge on the support plate can also be made smaller, I sand mine down to 1.2mm (from about 1.7mm I think) this will give you the option to run the clutch shoe for a lot longer.

I run the Red shoe, I dont know if this will last longer ?

My Clutch shoes will last at least 2 or 3 nationals, if you are using too many then something is not correct, maybe too much slip........

For me there is nothing wrong with the UFO, at our nationals, no car has a better clutch, and the Kyosho drivers are now using the UFO clutch too !
Also I dont have a problem with excessive wear on the pinions, if the mesh is correct they should last fine, the UFO is probably the smallest and lighest race clutch on the market, putting heavy steel pinions on it kind of defeats the design principle.

With my G4+, it came with a thicker clutch shoe, and the support plate ridge already smaller, so these should give you what you want. I have not tested the new shoes yet, but they may need slightly more weight behind them as they are quiet a bit thicker, hence heavier.

Good Luck.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

three cheers for ebay!

I just scored brand new in the box hudy ride height gauges, droop gauges, and droop support blocks for $31.50
Old 06-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

G4S Manual
Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak

Kodak,

I think the UFO clutch system is great. My only complaint is the pinions that wear out to easily. The upgrade in question here deals with using hardened pinions from the serpent clutch system. If it lasts longer then the mod is worth it. THat can really save some of the stripped gear problems we've seen.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by muppet racing
Hi gansei,

With the clutch, I think you need to chamfer the holes in your clutch bell a little more, so they are smooth and will not wear the shoe so much.

The ridge on the support plate can also be made smaller, I sand mine down to 1.2mm (from about 1.7mm I think) this will give you the option to run the clutch shoe for a lot longer.

I run the Red shoe, I dont know if this will last longer ?

My Clutch shoes will last at least 2 or 3 nationals, if you are using too many then something is not correct, maybe too much slip........

For me there is nothing wrong with the UFO, at our nationals, no car has a better clutch, and the Kyosho drivers are now using the UFO clutch too !
Also I dont have a problem with excessive wear on the pinions, if the mesh is correct they should last fine, the UFO is probably the smallest and lighest race clutch on the market, putting heavy steel pinions on it kind of defeats the design principle.

With my G4+, it came with a thicker clutch shoe, and the support plate ridge already smaller, so these should give you what you want. I have not tested the new shoes yet, but they may need slightly more weight behind them as they are quiet a bit thicker, hence heavier.

Good Luck.
thanks for your tip...

i chamfer off bell inside by sand paper.. But shoe wear did not improve much.

i quess that shoe wear problem is outstanding in hot weather..
(i feel it in Jakarta FEMCA 2007.. and korea weather is hot lately )

cutting of The ridge on the support plate... i will try it.. thanks..

and i think that too low weight clutch system cause unstable idling.
(it make flame out easily)

so i always used 2 weigtht shim in my UFO Clutch.

i knew that your G4+ flamed out in your recent national Race
(But i did not think clutch weight problem ^^)

but nevertheless flame out.. you could get 2nd position.. congraturation!!

Last edited by gansei; 06-11-2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: additon ment
Old 06-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dnitro
Kodak,

I think the UFO clutch system is great. My only complaint is the pinions that wear out to easily. The upgrade in question here deals with using hardened pinions from the serpent clutch system. If it lasts longer then the mod is worth it. THat can really save some of the stripped gear problems we've seen.

TM reported to me.. stripped gear problems solved in G4+

so i very expect G4+ parts..

especially.. stripped gear problems more occurred in hot weather..
(i suffered 7-8 stripped 2nd gear problems in FEMCA 2007)
Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by British Menace
Yes I use the SR3500 Receiver.
I use it along with the Pro module.

I do still use the 'Pro' receiver too in the spare car. Funnily enough I'm putting the pro receiver in the race car as I've had some........"confidence" issues with the SR3500.

What I mean is, occasionally when you turn on the SR3500, ie the car. It does not communicate? Other times it takes maybe 10 seconds to link up with the transmitter before I have control?
Although once the SR3500 is in communication with the transmitter, I don't have any problems!!?

It's only when I first switch the car on (power up the receiver) that I see this. It's strange. I have tried re-binding the SR3500, but does not seam to make a difference.

What probs' have you had?
By the way. This SR3500 was one SPEKTRUM sent me to replace the one I bought which would not communicate over 300mm (Yes, 300mm !!) away from the car?

So now I have the Pro receiver in my race car and the SR3500 in the spare car. More confidence than anything else.

Menace
Well firstly it is a ........"confidence" issue!!!!!!
Secondly I now found out today that is does not support telemetry!!
Thirdly also the binding process. After a call or two to the "authorities" on spektrum told me that SR3500 has a issue binding due to the weak TX signal form the SR3500 to the TX module! It needs to be close radio to bind but after that not issue!

Needless to say I now 2x SR3500s for sale!

An electric racer can amuse himself with it!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

hey muppet ,congrats on the TQ for teh Tecrotec and nats events
Sad to hear you had flames outs that cost you the no1 spot in both races.

gansei although i have not had issues with strippping gear i have noticed possible cause of it and corrected it before it did any damage.The 2 speed shoes need to be set fairly close to the 2 speed housing .As they wear they get more clearance and start snapping when changing gear.I noticed this when i was carrying my car to the pit lane while i was blipping the throttle.as the gear changed it would make the car buck in my hand from the harsh engagment.also the 2 speed cam wears on the pin and you have to always check teh grubs screws that tension the cam.I put loctite on these grub screws to prevent it getting loose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.