Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G4S'er
Forgot to mention that Raceday Hobbies proudly sponsors Ben Peterbaugh! Great Job Ben!!! That 1st place finish could be good for a set of front and rear tires of the world famous K Factory tires!
Thanks Sam.

I am happy; not making the A wasn't so great but I still got 8th overall in points. The car was awesome all weekend. Like it has been said many times it just has such a wide sweet spot!
Turning is great, clutch is great, braking is great. Had the weather not changed drastically to throw the engine off for the 2nd qualifier I would have had the qualifying run I needed.
In the main everything finally came together to some extent because the engine (Old Nova 12S3) was finally OK. It was really fun in the practices because at one point I started trying to see how hot I could go into certain corners and even when I went beyond the limit I could still make the corner (maybe a little sideways) but still it would get through and was very predictable when it starts to slide. It was the most fun I've had in while.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another good way to reduce weight is to run a Futaba 9650 servo for throttle/brakes.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lycan
Another good way to reduce weight is to run a Futaba 9650 servo for throttle/brakes.
Are they the smaller servo's? Slightly smaller then stock?

Menace
Old 05-08-2007, 12:42 AM

guys, new G4S+ Limited Edition photos are on 3hobby.net !!! Lovely new touches like aerodynamic arms, rear sway bar, etc..

Asil
Old 05-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah it looks sweet
Old 05-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Menace ~

I was going over your list of upgrades and was wondering what the aluminum servo mounts are doing for you. That might be another area that you could save some weight.

I think it would be really great if you could lose a total of 100g.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 05-08-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by asil
guys, new G4S+ Limited Edition photos are on 3hobby.net !!! Lovely new touches like aerodynamic arms, rear sway bar, etc..

Asil

wowow good car kit

Last edited by johnhsp; 05-08-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
$20 bunnings job.
prblem is paint splattered on the old airbrush as i was trying to use the black to fade. so messy messy. got a cheapo and finished it off. may look at another shell to get it right. but stickers are a wonderfull thing arent they can hide anything with them not trying to set a benchmark at all. just tried something different, and bit more colorfull
Actually speaking of stickers, I am going to try the same place Im getting repro GT 40th Anniversary stickers for my 1/1 scale car. They are already doing them for other clients for smaller scale cars. Will find out price soon!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

κοκολομοκο
Attached Thumbnails Team Magic G4-abc_66035_001.jpg  
Old 05-08-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vc05hdt
Actually speaking of stickers, I am going to try the same place Im getting repro GT 40th Anniversary stickers for my 1/1 scale car. They are already doing them for other clients for smaller scale cars. Will find out price soon!
Sonic Signs do my stickers. they can reproduce any stickers if they have a sample. PM me if you need a #. they are just around the corner from work too. Handy for me.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Menace ~

I was going over your list of upgrades and was wondering what the aluminum servo mounts are doing for you. That might be another area that you could save some weight.

I think it would be really great if you could lose a total of 100g.
Yes, wouldn't it! I was originally aiming for around 40g. So I was pleasantly surprised at what was achieved.

Alu' servo mounts...................
I'll tell you what I was originally aiming for.
I was trying to achieve the stiffest car I could get, using whatever K Factory and TM had in their parts box. Primarily for a high traction track.
Then having got that, I wanted to get the car as light as possible without losing any stiffness.
I looked at the servo mounts as an aid to getting a stiffer car due to the aluminum connection between chassis and top deck.
I think your right though. I would save quite a good amount of weight though if I just used the stock mounts.

I do have some other idea's but they will only get me small amounts. All the big chunks of the cake have gone I think.

Would be really nice to get to the Roar legal weight of 1725g. But I think that's out of reach unless I did get rid of things like the alu' servo mounts like you suggested.

I'm still pleased with the outcome (1764g) as I've managed to keep all the stiffening hop-ups I added.

I was thinking, if I put a solid front spool in, that would shed another 35g ( .... I think?)
Then I would be very close.

Just goes to show though. If you do get all these "bling/ performance" parts, you don't have to make sacrifices in the weight dept'.....
and by the way. I did run the car in this trim at the race last weekend and yes, the car was notably stiffer.
(Shame the expected "HIGH" traction didn't materialize!!... )

Menace

Ps. Thanks for your interest.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Menace ~ Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. I think it's always good to know why people do things for each particular car and what the pros and cons are.

Cheers
Old 05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

9650 weighs 21grams vs a normal digital servo of around 50grams.

30gram reduction. nice

I've just checked the dimensions and I'm not 100% sure it will fit... I'm going to investigate further at some stage.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/digitalservos.html

Bottom of the page.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by British Menace
Hey All,
I managed to get the weight of the car down, from a fat 1840g, eventually to a respectable 1762g. Ready to race.
This is with the following on:

4mm Chassis
Speedshot front
ED Trans
Alum' servo mounts
Front gear diff'
Alum' side braces.

It can be said why put this stuff on if it's going to make the car too heavy.................?
Well, if it wasn't for the weight increase, the above parts are all advantageous I think in stiffening up the whole car. Especially for those high tracion tracks.
The weight reduction was acheived with,

Fitting Titanium Pivot balls and screws.
Some milling work done on the chassis(4mm) Reducing the weight to stock chassis.
Removing the handle and making a new tank support.
Removing the 5th body post and again making a new tank support.
Removing some material from the front bumper.
Fitting the thick carbon bumper top plate.

Here are some photo's where I have tried to show these modifications to the car.
I'm not that brilliant with the camera, as Patto has pointed out......lol. But hopefully you'll see what I've done.
The improvement in chassis stiffness was remarkable! Plus, it still looks cool.

BM,

Do you have the KF lightweight 1st and 2nd gear housing? I don't know how much weight you'll save, but if it is lighter, then acceleration should also improve. I wonder if there is any lightweight main shaft. The newer G4s has a lighter middle shaft than the first batch of kits, but the main shaft is still the same.

Instead of the aluminum servo mount, I just replace it with a new set of stock servo mounts after 3-4 mounts because they are lightweight and pretty cheap.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dnitro
BM,

Do you have the KF lightweight 1st and 2nd gear housing? I don't know how much weight you'll save, but if it is lighter, then acceleration should also improve. I wonder if there is any lightweight main shaft. The newer G4s has a lighter middle shaft than the first batch of kits, but the main shaft is still the same.

Instead of the aluminum servo mount, I just replace it with a new set of stock servo mounts after 3-4 mounts because they are lightweight and pretty cheap.
Hi Don,
Yes I do have the lightweight two speed/ one way housing. I also had the old KF two speed shoe housing. Remember the old one which use to fit the old spur gears before they changed to the 'S' class box.
It doesn't actually fit the new 'S' gears but a little machining and it fits.
I think that package saved 5g from the drive train Something to bear in mind.

Lycan.....interesting to hear about the servos. If they have decent torque and speed, and they fit(?) they would be a great saving on weight for sure.
Thanks for the info'

For everyones info' and my thoughts for what they are worth.
I would really consider the 4mm chassis! There is very little gain in weight (4g) and you get a noticable increase in chassis stiffness !
Thats good !!

Time for work

Menace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.