R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #5896
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

All this sponsorship talk takes me back to a year or more ago when Daz (muppet) was going through the same thing. If it wasn't for CML distribution in the UK I'm pretty sure Daz would be driving for another manufacturer.

If the 4 time winner of the BRCA national championship can't get a deal, who can?
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #5897
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gansei
thanks for your G4Ser advice!!

i still love my G4S very much.

there are no reason i must change other maker car.

But.. other maker had good rearing program for their driver.

i miss the lack of such a program in TM.

But other maker had many good TeamDriver.(serpent,Mugen,Kyosho,Xray..)

my thought is "Better be the head of a dog than the tail of a lion"

so don't worry about my changing maker... ^^

But!!! i envy the other maker driver in Korea.

they had a more good contract than me.. although they are slow than me in circuit.

^^
I think it to be a good choice you make Gansei !
You are deffinatley one of the heads of the TM dogs and the good thing about being a head is that you can turn which way you want to turn.
Bad thing on being the tail is that you will have to follow the rest of the "team"
I beleive the G4s has taken you sir to the next level. See how far that level can take you this year. I think it will suprise you and you'll have the backing of the friends you have made here always Gansei !
So....you have decided to stay and the family, for what it's worth in support, will always be here to help and support you in any way possible.
You are a credit to the family Gansei and a valuable asset.
Take on the "big" dealers and the "team drivers" and beat them at their own game. You will turn more heads towards you and the car.
Best of luck Gansei.

Menace
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #5898
Tech Elite

Default ENTRY FORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1one
I will be there

As soon as I can get my car fixed and build up enough spare parts to have on stand by

Here is the link to the entry form, things are really picking up so get it in.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=214302
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #5899
Tech Master

I'm wondering what the impact would be to us end users if TM did have a factory sponsorship program.

I think that currently, the G4S is the best equipped out of the box racer on the market with the cheapest price of the 5 major players (I know the xray isn't out but I have included it anyway). It essentially comes ready to win races out of the box. All the upgrade parts I have added have not equated to better lap times at our track for me personally. Maybe I am not getting the best out of them yet. Anyway....

I'm guessing the other manufacturers build in some if not all of the cost of their sponsorship programs to the kit prices. So if TM was to have a factory sponsored load of drivers, would we all end up paying for the privilege? I know for me, the fact the price was good and the car wasn't as common as dirt were the two major reasons I got into racing the TM cars, so I probably wouldn't want to see the prices raised to pay factory drivers. And to get the results everyone is talking about, it would involve actually paying drivers (since they are already paid) not just slipping them a kit and a few parts.

If it was the same price as the xray, kyosho, serpent and mugen cars, would you have bought a G4S anyway?

Given that average Joe can go and buy a car with the same parts that the factory guys use (since there are no factory guys) from TM, and seeing the results in Europe and Dario's performance at the worlds, I think the TM car is pretty special the way it is now.

Provided you can get a decent power plant (and I think the IDM Patto is talking about and the modifieds from Murnan that are kicking butt, are world class power plants and as good as the factory drivers get access to), then you can go as far as you want to with the G4S.

The sponsored drivers are always going to be faster because their job is to practice all week and race on the weekends. If you could get a job that allows you to do that I guess you would be fast too(along with some natural talent as well of course).

Just thought I would throw this out there for discussion and see what everyone thinks.

And Gansei, I hope you get sponsored by an engine manufacturer or someone like Kawahara so you can run the G4S and get a deal to go further in the sport!!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #5900
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Great point ZOOM well said!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #5901
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedX
LOL, that's true. We did have a TM driver last season who burned the track up, but he's moved to 1:8 scale now, and he's still fast. We'd love to see some G4s there during the cap. classic. Lots of factory drivers from the different manufacturers will be there.

oh, and the link is http://www.cwhits.com
Unfortunately I wont be able to make the Capitol Classic but Ill be down for the pro series race.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #5902
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00M
All this sponsorship talk takes me back to a year or more ago when Daz (muppet) was going through the same thing. If it wasn't for CML distribution in the UK I'm pretty sure Daz would be driving for another manufacturer.

If the 4 time winner of the BRCA national championship can't get a deal, who can?
Dude, are you talking about getting a deal with TM?? I'm not too familiar with Daz's career. Me personally don't really want anything to do with sponsorship...However I do believe that if TM would incorporate this as other manufacturers do, then we could get some good feedback and support beyond ourselves. Including direct feedback from the "sponsored driver" to TM in regards of improvements for our cars. For example...If TM operated similar to Serpent, the rear sway bar would have been addressed 3 months after the G4S came out. Not rumors of something being tried out over a year later of the vehicles debut. And in my opinion the rear sway bar is a huge issue. Yet a revisement would be incredibley simple.

Honestly, the way TM operates things IMO...it comes across more like they don't give a rats ass about their clientel...US!!! Because if they realy do care about their products and the people that purchase and race them, they sure have a poor way of showing it. Again this is my opinion.

No one get me wrong please, I enjoy the G4S and what it has to offer, otherwise I wouldn't be on here and be racing one. But I would have to admit that the support is sub-par, The main US distribution company in US (Trinity) straight up SUCKS!!! And I'm not alone on this Trinity thing I'm sure, I would make an educated guess that over 75% of the RC community will agree with me on this. HUGE MISTAKE #1. If it wasn't for SAM at RACEDAY, how many people would be FORCED to not run the car WORLDWIDE?!?!?!?! That is a HUGE issue in my eyes. So Team Magic...if you paying attention here, wake UP!!!!! If you would pay attention to what myself and others are saying you would have MORE satisfied customers plus increase your sales. If you don't listen, well you might actually find yourself loosing some of the customers that you do currently have. I would rather see progress rather then regress from TM.

I appologize everyone, but I just had to get some of this off of my chest. All I am trying to get accross here is ways for TM to reevaluate SOME of their mind sets. They might have meant well when developing them, but turns out they might, just might have been wrong. Once again, everything I posted is 100% my opinion and not meant to upset anybody. Sorry for another post from hell all!

On another note, I plan on racing at the Mugen Grand Prix in Vegas next week. I'll be honest in the fact that I am going to be trying out both the G4S and my Serpent 720. Plus off coarse my 1:8th scale SLIDE!!! WOO HOO. I finally bought a new motor, the Nova Plus 12-3CT. Just been tired of engine issues and have been too impatient to figure them out 100% plus the lack of time and space to get them tuned properly. If it even is the tune. So I need to go out and start doing my breakin. I do the heat cycling method which is slow as all get out. But the rewards of a strong engine that will last forever is worth the time to do it this route. If anyone has any feed back on my post, go for it. If you don't agree...that's totally cool. I'm the type of person where it is imposible to hurt my feelings or such. I'm always up for others opinions to see if I might be out of line in certain areas. Sometimes I can get tunnel vision and will overlook other important factors. Thanks again for everyone that took the time to read my babble babble. Later all my G4S bros!!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #5903
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd
Dude, are you talking about getting a deal with TM??
If you mean "am I looking to get a deal for me with TM" then no, that's not what I was getting at (you have to be good to do things like that ). I was talking about how some people were trying to get Gansei a deal with TM.

Just to fill you in, Daz won the BRCA national title for the last 4 years (2 rubber and 2 foam) with various G4 cars. Some time back we all sent TM emails to try and get him a deal, and then later on we tried to get him a deal to run at the worlds which was successful but only with the help of the distributors.

So, there ya go, a bit of history so you know what I was referring to.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #5904
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1one
Anyone running Hitec servos for steering. (I am using the HS-965MG)

I found that my steering arm 502269 G4 Thick Servo Arm
KO, Sanwa, JR that came with the kit keeps stripping out I went through 3 of them, and still had to put some plastic in between the horn and the gear it self. Please help
Hi Wayne,
Don't worry. The Hitec will work in the steering. You will nead to get an aluminium servo arm and adjust your clearence from the front baulkhead using the servo spacers.

Menace
Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #5905
Tech Champion

No worries with TM sponsorship or TM team drivers. ....... I'm not getting paid for my fanaticism or loyalty to one brand. I just enjoy building and racing the car.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #5906
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
If you mean "am I looking to get a deal for me with TM" then no, that's not what I was getting at (you have to be good to do things like that ). I was talking about how some people were trying to get Gansei a deal with TM.

Just to fill you in, Daz won the BRCA national title for the last 4 years (2 rubber and 2 foam) with various G4 cars. Some time back we all sent TM emails to try and get him a deal, and then later on we tried to get him a deal to run at the worlds which was successful but only with the help of the distributors.

So, there ya go, a bit of history so you know what I was referring to.
Oh no dude, that's not what I meant. I didn't mean you personally getting a deal with TM. Sorry about that, after I reread what I said I obviously was WAY too vague. What I meant to ask you was in regards to Daz's situation you were mentioning. Meaning that this gentleman had received an invitation to the Worlds, and if I understand you correctly, Team Magic didn't lift a finger to support both Daz and the G4S in a Worlds event. Is that right? Instead he was helped out by the distributors that you had mentioned.

OK, now if this is correct, do you think that this is fair that these distributors pull funds together out of their own pocket to help fund a racer that in return is representing a Team Magic car? If Daz say won the Worlds event, who do you think would benefit from this? The distributors or TM? Well ultimately both to an extent with the distributors. But TM would have benefited across the board, yet they didn't help support Daz in the event. (If I understand correctly). IMO, this is completely unfair to the distributors and Daz or other drivers in similar situations. I honestly don't think the price of the car would go up if they had a sponsorship program in place. If it did go up it would probably only be $10 bucks or so. They would be compensating for the extra generated sales after a win at a Worlds event. No different then the Xray at the Winter Nats and they didn't even win. Hundreds of people are waiting for the release of this new car simply due to the fact it did so well on it's debut race at a huge event. Now if there were only say 5 Xray NT1's racing without "Big Name" drivers and the fastest was say in the C or B main would the RC community be on this Xray ban wagon?? I think not. Many would still just because of the Xray reputation which is understandable. But since they did so well in this large event, instead of 1000 kits being sold on the day of release, it will probably be more like 5000 kits. My point is simply that people want what is new and winning. Even if it's these top names driving these things. This is just plain good marketing. But along with this marketing ploy from Xray along comes a grip of support from top drivers to help the average, new and even advanced drivers as yourself. They will be able to help a good driver become better with the support. It's a win win situation in my opinion. People don't care if a kit costs $50 more bucks then the cheapest one (G4S), they are going to follow the leaders.

Does this make me want an Xray??? Absolutely not. I don't have that buyers mentality as most of us that own the G4S. But I would love the support that they have to offer. Just some food for thought. After all what is $50 bucks extra for a kit these days? That's the price we pay for the carbon side plates for our car, but the Xray already includes these in their kit. So I trully don't see the down side to having a sponsorship program. I only see the down side of not having one. But then again, this is just my opinion. I would just like to see the G4S excell a bit faster then it is. It is already such a good car, imagine if they worked weekly with "sponsored drivers" to get the feedback to improve the car even more. Our G4S would be better then it already is. Every car can be improved, but it needs the R&D from real racers. OK, I've talked WAY too much again. Sorry guys. I could keep going but I think I'm already splitting hairs. Regardless, I love my G4S!!!!! (Even though I could still use more steering) Later All!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:07 AM   #5907
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd
Dude, are you talking about getting a deal with TM?? I'm not too familiar with Daz's career. Me personally don't really want anything to do with sponsorship...However I do believe that if TM would incorporate this as other manufacturers do, then we could get some good feedback and support beyond ourselves. Including direct feedback from the "sponsored driver" to TM in regards of improvements for our cars. For example...If TM operated similar to Serpent, the rear sway bar would have been addressed 3 months after the G4S came out. Not rumors of something being tried out over a year later of the vehicles debut. And in my opinion the rear sway bar is a huge issue. Yet a revisement would be incredibley simple.

Honestly, the way TM operates things IMO...it comes across more like they don't give a rats ass about their clientel...US!!! Because if they realy do care about their products and the people that purchase and race them, they sure have a poor way of showing it. Again this is my opinion.

No one get me wrong please, I enjoy the G4S and what it has to offer, otherwise I wouldn't be on here and be racing one. But I would have to admit that the support is sub-par, The main US distribution company in US (Trinity) straight up SUCKS!!! And I'm not alone on this Trinity thing I'm sure, I would make an educated guess that over 75% of the RC community will agree with me on this. HUGE MISTAKE #1. If it wasn't for SAM at RACEDAY, how many people would be FORCED to not run the car WORLDWIDE?!?!?!?! That is a HUGE issue in my eyes. So Team Magic...if you paying attention here, wake UP!!!!! If you would pay attention to what myself and others are saying you would have MORE satisfied customers plus increase your sales. If you don't listen, well you might actually find yourself loosing some of the customers that you do currently have. I would rather see progress rather then regress from TM.

I appologize everyone, but I just had to get some of this off of my chest. All I am trying to get accross here is ways for TM to reevaluate SOME of their mind sets. They might have meant well when developing them, but turns out they might, just might have been wrong. Once again, everything I posted is 100% my opinion and not meant to upset anybody. Sorry for another post from hell all!

On another note, I plan on racing at the Mugen Grand Prix in Vegas next week. I'll be honest in the fact that I am going to be trying out both the G4S and my Serpent 720. Plus off coarse my 1:8th scale SLIDE!!! WOO HOO. I finally bought a new motor, the Nova Plus 12-3CT. Just been tired of engine issues and have been too impatient to figure them out 100% plus the lack of time and space to get them tuned properly. If it even is the tune. So I need to go out and start doing my breakin. I do the heat cycling method which is slow as all get out. But the rewards of a strong engine that will last forever is worth the time to do it this route. If anyone has any feed back on my post, go for it. If you don't agree...that's totally cool. I'm the type of person where it is imposible to hurt my feelings or such. I'm always up for others opinions to see if I might be out of line in certain areas. Sometimes I can get tunnel vision and will overlook other important factors. Thanks again for everyone that took the time to read my babble babble. Later all my G4S bros!!

Agree with you, if not Sam establish the sell and motorman put out the team, TM is totally silance in US, what has Trinity done so far ? after Motorman's team gone due to the termination of distribution, we don't see any G4S in any big race. and Raceday Hobby is almost the sole parts provider of G4 part and TM product.

I left G4S for MTX 4 because of Trinity. I was one of the victim when old G4E was introduced into US by Trinity. so when I hear they got the distribution again, I immediately sell my G4S and broke my pocket for MTX4 (got to have a car to run)
Old 04-12-2007, 03:21 AM   #5908
Tech Master

I totally see your point Serpentd. I'm sure if TM had a big bag of money as xray does (from all the different cars they sell) they would be buying drivers to showcase the product.

Since they really only have 2 cars (G4S and M1B - I'm not counting the 1/8th onroad at the moment) it is more like trying to let the users/customers showcase how well you can do without all the factory drivers and parts they have that you can't buy. This is a limiting factor for them I'm sure.

I feel that in the states the car is being let down by the current situation. Sam is doing what he does best as a retailer, but a niche car needs a niche distributor willing to put the hard yards in and get the product into the right hands. I have no doubt that Mike Blackstock or any other of the current trinity drivers could be a weapon with the car, the guy is a worlds A-main driver. But I get the feeling that since the car doesn't come with a bucket of cash like some of the electric or offroad cars do, then they aren't putting the effort into it that it needs, or it gets a lower priority. I'm not sure what the answer is in the states as it is a chicken or the egg type of situation. Don't forget Mugen USA was once a distributor for Mugen products until he put in the effort to make it what it is today.

Here in Aus, the distributor races the car himself and there are various levels of support offered to drivers around the country to try and get it up the front. They only reason the hobby shops in our local town don't carry the parts on the shelf is that people are buying them on the net from overseas or from other shops that do have them on the shelf.

As for the distributors footing the bill, I'm sure it was a joint effort, not just a one sided thing, although we may never know what deal was made for the worlds. If the distributors make more margin on the TM product than say, a serpent or xray product, then it's possible they could shoulder some of the load in that situation.

I too will stop rambling but I guess I like looking at the business side of the sport as well as the technical, as you seem to as well.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #5909
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:

if my post was read accordingly , i did state Daz first on the list. as far as im concerned Darren has put in the hardest yards, so deservingly should be rewarded. what i feel is strange, is if you look on the TM site, they are quick to post the pics and results of Daz, Dario and recently Gansei. so if they are so willing to use these guys in the marketing strategy on their website, then why are they holding back ? this i feel is what D was meaning by who benefits, the distributor or TM ? i mean no disrespect to any distributor of the product in any part of the world. but the reason why i went overseas in the first place, was due to no shops carrying the parts, and emails werent answered. so is it my fault i had to look overseas for my parts ? i dont want to start any blah blah by this, just my experience, and others i know. no disrespect meant by this at all.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #5910
Tech Adept

I am seriously considering becoming an agent/supplier as I don't believe Aussies are getting good deal. Wholesalers/Distributors are charging too much to hobby stores in Australia and they have to charge ridiculous prices to make a profit, thus low sales and little to no stock on hand.Even becoming RC Co Operative with racers to get better deals is the way to go. Team Magic have proven the point (??) that they have good product without spending money for sponsored drivers in last couple of years. So now is the time for them to re-invest some of the sponge they've saved with the likes of Daz,Dario,Gansei,SerpentD,Zoom and that bright new star Pattojnr.
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote