R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #5311
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd
Yo Gansei master! Dude, I am surprized to see you with that. Very sweet dude. I have a few myself. I got one for every engine I own. If you ever need detailed instructions on that, let me know. But I'm sure you know what's up since you have the thing. Later bro!

Bud thats a neat sleeve crimping set you have

I had one done by a freind but unfortunately he crimped it too much.

Would be great if you could pm some guidlines to do this.
Where did you get that set from ?
Thats a worth while setup to have in the shop for repairs.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #5312
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
Bud thats a neat sleeve crimping set you have

I had one done by a freind but unfortunately he crimped it too much.

Would be great if you could pm some guidlines to do this.
Where did you get that set from ?
Thats a worth while setup to have in the shop for repairs.
I don't reccomend using crimping tools if you wan't max performance.

AFM

This is what master engine guru D. Richey says about Compression:

PISTON PINCH

Don’t confuse compression with pinch; Sleeve Pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well it seals as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and if it holds compression after you roll it to top dead center.
Place a few drops of after run oil trough the top (removing plug), then place plug in place, then roll piston to top dead center and listen and look for air bubbles through exhaust port. If there’s none, then your engine still has compression, even if it has no pinch.
The fastest team motors we use, have zero pinch. I even had them run to over 140ºC and they have survived well. Though I certainly don't recommend it.
Dennis Richey
Richey Racing Engines
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #5313
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm

AFM

PISTON PINCH

Don’t confuse compression with pinch; Sleeve Pinch is not that important contrary to popular belief. The question is how well it seals as soon as the piston starts to close the exhaust port and if it holds compression after you roll it to top dead center.
Place a few drops of after run oil trough the top (removing plug), then place plug in place, then roll piston to top dead center and listen and look for air bubbles through exhaust port. If there’s none, then your engine still has compression, even if it has no pinch.
The fastest team motors we use, have zero pinch. I even had them run to over 140ºC and they have survived well. Though I certainly don't recommend it.
Dennis Richey
Richey Racing Engines
Great Read!
Ghett0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #5314
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm

AFM

PISTON PINCH

Dennis Richey
Richey Racing Engines
I agree 100%. A crimping tool IS NOT meant for aquireing MAX performance. However it will bring new life into a worn engine. 100% fact. It is not intended for brand new performance or life. But at the same time, onroad engines differ from off road as well. These are not only for onroad engines that can reach 50K rpm's. Engines can show perfomance lost after an hour main. Also, the fastest motors have minimal pinch because they are used and broken in for HIGH rpm. I also agree. However, EVERY new engine has pinch. Some have lots, some have medium. But they ALL start out with some pinch. Then we break in our engines to seat the piston and sleeve to aquire the SEAL and loose some of that pinch for higher RPM's. So when you pinch a sleeve, then break it in, you regain that seal. Never as good as a brand new $500 JP modified. But darn close for free. Would I use a "Pinched" motor in a serious race, probably not. Definitely not in the main. However I may change my mind with the more experience with this. I doubt it, but at least I have the option if I ran into a $$ issue and couldn't afford and new engine for a race. Sorry if this post is all over the place. At work and very focused on that right now. Thanks guys. Later!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #5315
Tech Elite

Thats interesting to note AFM.
Its a extra way of looking at compression seal.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #5316
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

may i know where can i get the sleeve pinch tool? how much is it?
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #5317
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
may i know where can i get the sleeve pinch tool? how much is it?
Dude, I will try and go trough my old RC receipts to see if I can find any info on them. I purchased these about 4 or 5 years ago and not sure of the machine shop I got them from. I want to say they were about $50-75 dollars each, but not 100% sure. This may take a bit of time as I have litterally 100's of RC receipts. However, I never throw any of them away. Just need to find my 2002 or 2003 files. It might be in storage, but will check this weekend if I don't see them here at the house. The place I got them from may not make them any more or be hard to find as they were VERY hard to obtain in the first place. But I'll do what I can for you bro! Be patient with me. Thanks dude.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #5318
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

Quote:
Dude, I will try and go trough my old RC receipts to see if I can find any info on them. I purchased these about 4 or 5 years ago and not sure of the machine shop I got them from. I want to say they were about $50-75 dollars each, but not 100% sure. This may take a bit of time as I have litterally 100's of RC receipts. However, I never throw any of them away. Just need to find my 2002 or 2003 files. It might be in storage, but will check this weekend if I don't see them here at the house. The place I got them from may not make them any more or be hard to find as they were VERY hard to obtain in the first place. But I'll do what I can for you bro! Be patient with me. Thanks dude.
heh bro, do u think its really neccessary for this tool? coz its the 1st time i ever saw this cool gadget. may i ask how often do u use it?
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #5319
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Hello All, great news - my brohter is finally a G4S memeber of today as his kit landed on the door steps on my house!

Now we build the sucker to go fast LOL
Old 03-15-2007, 11:29 PM   #5320
Tech Elite

Hi all,
All great stuff you guys are posting on here.
Interesting to read about the sleeve pinching tool

What Patto says is true about the belt tensioner position. It really neads to be on the bottom.....I know it fouls access to the bottom brake screw, but it's the best position for the tensioner.......on the slack side as Patto said.

I see we're talking about dampers again............. shocks.

Menace
Old 03-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #5321
Tech Regular

Quote:

SerpentD,

I store a few reciepts of RC parts, specially the major purchases like enignes, servos, but don't really want to store all of them. Just long enough so I'll be covered with the warranty. I just don't want to know how much I've spent, and it's scary if my wife finds out how much I spend on the hobby. Did you ever tally up your reciepts? Probably adds up to $10Ks...even more.

I had a guy pinch my engine once, and it did improve the performance. I was able to get another 2 gallons through it. The engine was used for practice only because it really never went back to the original condition. He used to go to the local track, and would pinch engines for $5-10 bucks
Old 03-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #5322
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
heh bro, do u think its really neccessary for this tool? coz its the 1st time i ever saw this cool gadget. may i ask how often do u use it?
Dude, that's a tough question in a way. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. I mainly got it for off road engines, but use them on all types, this is why I have that large selection. But in off raod there is a lot more stess on these engines for sure. Where you might get 5,6 or even 9 gallons through an onroad engine, you are lucky to get half of that in off road. Not because of dirt, just the overall stress of the engine due to the rolling resistance, spinning 3 diffs and all the driveline, larger heavy tires etc. It's brutal on engines. So after say 2 gallons of fuel, you notice a performance loss. Well this slight pinch will wake it back up for free. You might get 1 or even 2 more gallons through it. Your piston and sleeve just lasted twice as long. And on good .21's, a piston and sleeve can run $150-200 bucks (non moddified). So you do the math. How often do I use it? HMMM? Well, my engines last for so long and I don't always run the same motor. I usually have 5 engines that I will switch back and forth with to match the track, plus have 5 brand new engines broken in and ready to go. But when the time comes, Like after 4 gallons, I'll give it a slight pinch just to wake it back up a bit. I have only pinched one motor that was in NEED of a new P/S (so a FULL squeeze). The rest of the engine was still in excellent shape. I mean I did replace the rod as well, but the internals totally clean, combustion chamber (head button) still great and the crank still within tolerance. However I haven't had a chance to run this motor yet due to the weather. I just pinched it about a month ago as I went through all my engines for this season comming up. The only thing that I can sort of compare this to would be a servo. Now you can't sort of fix a bad gear in a servo. But if one of my $150 dollar servos needs a new main gear because it's stripped or getting pretty worn, do I spend 20 bucks on the new gear or by a new servo? Poor example I know. Bottom line, it's all about getting the most life possible out of an engine. I don't like to by piston and sleeves for 200 bucks when I can get a brand new motor with everything for 450. Just my logic is all. You have to understand that I own some hand tuned and modified .21's done by Rody Roem of RB, JP mod etc that run up to and over $700 bucks. If I can get an extra gallon or two for free and get it close to new performance, why not?

So again, is it necessary, not at all. But since I have the option, I use it. I'm not recomending this equipment to anyone, if it's even available anymore. The pinching has some controvercy around it for sure. Some will say that you just shouldn't do it. A piston and sleeve is hand picked at the factory for a match to begin with and once it's worn, you cannot recapture that. True, but at the same time, I have brought life back to motors regarless if you think you should do it or not. So it does work. What more can I say. It won't reach that 100% like new feeling, but it can take it from 50% and take it back up to 85 or 90%. Just a guess as I have never ran specific long term tests personally. But it's noticable when you squeeze that trigger! That's good enough for me right there. Sorry for the post from hell. I think I'm over tired and pretty zoned at the moment. You guys know my posts anyway. I try to cover ALL bases when I try to answer a question or give you my personall insight is all. Later guys!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #5323
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnitro
SerpentD,

I store a few reciepts of RC parts, specially the major purchases like enignes, servos, but don't really want to store all of them. Just long enough so I'll be covered with the warranty. I just don't want to know how much I've spent, and it's scary if my wife finds out how much I spend on the hobby. Did you ever tally up your reciepts? Probably adds up to $10Ks...even more.

I had a guy pinch my engine once, and it did improve the performance. I was able to get another 2 gallons through it. The engine was used for practice only because it really never went back to the original condition. He used to go to the local track, and would pinch engines for $5-10 bucks
Dude, I'm just not right in the head is all bro. I keep EVERY receipt for at least 10 years. And as far as adding them up to 10K...which year. I have well over 75K-100K invested in RC over the last 10 years, but stopped keeping track years ago. I bet I have over 8K in extra engines and pipes in the boxes alone right now. I tell my wife just about every penny I spend as she knows I like to spend money in general on cool stuff. I figure, I make the money, no one here is deprived more like spoiled, so don't bring up my hobby money. Lucky I found a woman for me that understands 100% and never questions it. I made this clear ages before getting married. Wife #1 I guess thought it wuld change OKay. Well, she's gone. I still keep care of my family first in every situation, but I only have one go around at this crazy thing called life, so I do what I want to to make the most of it with the things I like. Plus I am a MAJOR collector in every sence of the word. My GI Joe collection I think is up to around 350 GI joes. Dude, I need a bigger house! Cool bro, well I need to hit it. My brain is falling out do to lack of sleep. Later guys!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #5324
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

You can't worry about how much you spend in this RC hobby just enjoy it like I do the good thing is my wife spends more money on my RC stuff than I do she is alway's asking me what do I need for my car that why I call her my sponsor which can see on my signature at the bottom and that is her in my avatar well at least the cartoon version which looks just like her.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:16 AM   #5325
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
You can't worry about how much you spend in this RC hobby just enjoy it like I do the good thing is my wife spends more money on my RC stuff than I do she is alway's asking me what do I need for my car that why I call her my sponsor which can see on my signature at the bottom and that is her in my avatar well at least the cartoon version which looks just like her.
Dude, unless I spell it out, give every part #, and tell her where to get it, there is still a chance I won't get the right stuff. Plus in Colorado, Not one hobby store carries any of the sedans that we all run. Unless it's monster truck stuff. The only buggy I have seen is the new Losi eight. No one, and I mean no one carries any "race" stuff". I have to literally shop for 95% of everything on the net, which sucks! I can't even get "good" servos.

Dude, that's way cool that your wife understands your hobby to the point she can buy parts for you. Damn bro that's killer! How long have you guys been together and how long did it take her to understand this hobby. You have a rare find there bro. I know you treat her like gold too. SWEET!

And yes, the money thing doesn't matter at all (I never trip or stress on it), in fact I just got a Tamiya Frog to go have fun with in the back lot. We live on an acre of land, so I want to build an offroad track and just have fun with my 100 dollar Frog.
The Frog was my very first RC car kit from over 20 years ago. I still have it in about 90% condition. We definitely need that reminder of "FUN" and why we got into this hobby in the first place!!! Sweet bro!