R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-08-2007, 03:19 AM   #5071
Tech Elite

Hi Patto,

Your just not having much luck with that 15 tooth pinion are you...?

The problem is, with the decrease in size and teeth, there is now a smaller contact patch if you like with the spur gear.
So, same power from the motor, less gear teeth engaged, smaller contact patch but with the same amount of backlash is going to equel faster wear.

Although, due to the lack of contact at the mesh point. You can have a slightly tighter mesh. This should help theoretically??!!?

Be careful though, when I say tighter mesh. You must still have a slight movement betwean spur and pinion. But this can be minute......but there must be some.

Whether this will help to any significant amount with the wear problem we're finding will remain to be seen.

Although, I would be interested to know.......... do you runa tight mesh on your car Razzor? Maybe that's why you do not seam to be getting the same wear concerns others are having............

I'll be able to give alot more feedback on this new stuff from my own experiences soon.....not before time too !!

Menace
Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 AM   #5072
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
Patto theres got to be a reason !
Maybe the batch that your spurs came from had a issue.
Or maybe there is play on the 2 speed and clutch bell.
Or maybe you need to mesh tighter.
could be anything.

ill have a look at my car and see if I can think of anything .
Thats what we here for
4 spurs, the first and 3rd one were on the car for a while, with the 16t pinion. no probs there. but my mesh i have tried tight as, slight drag on the mesh , and stripped down to the plastic, no teeth at all left. then didnt go as tight but still good mesh and took from the middle of the spur. so i have tried a few times. i might just try it again, but maybe with a spare 50t spur as i dont tend to use them. if it strips then i will get TM on to it. plus if you have any other suggestions, much appreciated.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #5073
Tech Elite

By the sound of it Patto, it's not your gear mesh.
Maybe Razzor is right and you had one off a bad batch of pinions???!

Menace
Old 03-08-2007, 03:26 AM   #5074
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace
Hi Patto,

The problem is, with the decrease in size and teeth, there is now a smaller contact patch if you like with the spur gear.
So, same power from the motor, less gear teeth engaged, smaller contact patch but with the same amount of backlash is going to equel faster wear.

Although, due to the lack of contact at the mesh point. You can have a slightly tighter mesh. This should help theoretically??!!?

Be careful though, when I say tighter mesh. You must still have a slight movement betwean spur and pinion. But this can be minute......but there must be some.

Whether this will help to any significant amount with the wear problem we're finding will remain to be seen.

Although, I would be interested to know.......... do you runa tight mesh on your car Razzor? Maybe that's why you do not seam to be getting the same wear concerns others are having............

I'll be able to give alot more feedback on this new stuff from my own experiences soon.....not before time too !!

Menace
howdy Menace, yes it is a problem, but its not wear im worried about, the spurs dont seem to like my 15t pinion. 1/2 a lap before they strip to nothing at all, is bad . will see if i can lessen the load and use a smaller spur, and see how it goes. cheers menace, hope you can be finding or sorting out some ideas soon as you get the beast racing
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 AM   #5075
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
howdy Menace, yes it is a problem, but its not wear im worried about, the spurs dont seem to like my 15t pinion. 1/2 a lap before they strip to nothing at all, is bad . will see if i can lessen the load and use a smaller spur, and see how it goes. cheers menace, hope you can be finding or sorting out some ideas soon as you get the beast racing
Thanks Patto,
Sorry I can't be more help to you at the moment..

On the up side....I'm going to be taking a trip to a track some 5.5 hours away so I can do some testing and run the new car...........with all the new bits

Thing is, first time out, I'll be so enjoying running the car again that it'll be a couple of hours before I realize I nead to start thinking of stuff like this.....

Still, that's why we do this hobby....isn't it?

You may have a good idea there with using the smaller spur. Will await your results. Best of luck Patto.

Menace
Old 03-08-2007, 03:52 AM   #5076
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks Patto,
Sorry I can't be more help to you at the moment..

On the up side....I'm going to be taking a trip to a track some 5.5 hours away so I can do some testing and run the new car...........with all the new bits

Thing is, first time out, I'll be so enjoying running the car again that it'll be a couple of hours before I realize I nead to start thinking of stuff like this.....

Still, that's why we do this hobby....isn't it?

You may have a good idea there with using the smaller spur. Will await your results. Best of luck Patto.

Menace
Doesn't it make more sense to use bigger (higher number teeth) spur for more contact, thus less wear as power dispersed over more surface area of gear teeth. I reckon the material used for spur/pinions can't handle the power with 15 teeth pinion used. ED transmission appears really efficient from what I have seen of Patto's car
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 AM   #5077
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc05hdt
Doesn't it make more sense to use bigger (higher number teeth) spur for more contact, thus less wear as power dispersed over more surface area of gear teeth. I reckon the material used for spur/pinions can't handle the power with 15 teeth pinion used. ED transmission appears really efficient from what I have seen of Patto's car
by going down in spur teeth, the motor wont revv hard so soon, will make more effort for motor to turn the spur, but by using the bigger teeth spur will make much more acceleration , there for be turning the spur harder and quicker. i did mess up by saying taking the load off, but its the harder acceleration i did mean. i have just tried hand meshing the 15t and a 52 spur and 50, the mesh seems more suited to a 50t spur, not grabbing the teeth of the spur from the pointy end of the pinion. the 50 t is working better and picking the spur half way down the tooth. but i have just changed the 2 speed shoe holder, and i noticed the hole not centered that runs on the 2 speed shaft. definately a problem with that, as the 1st spur runs on this holder, so not turning true, slightly off ceter so will be meshing good then bad. maybe i have found the prob. i will try to post a pic. thanks guys.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 03-08-2007, 04:54 AM   #5078
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi Patto,

Menace
I dont mesh tight.
I usually look at how the gears roll against each other and what is smoothest .I have a very small amount of clearance between the gear and spur.Id say the same you would get if meshing with a piece of plastic or paper between the gears.
Also if changing pinions dont expect same mesh after changing ,i run the engine on the starter box a little then readjust mesh.This helps the gears fit better together.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #5079
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Patto:

Car is in the mail...

Everyone:

Thats it done and dusted for me and Team Magic at the moment. Thanks to everyone that assisted me here. Might catch up again shortly sometime...

BB
Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 AM   #5080
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
by going down in spur teeth, the motor wont revv hard so soon, will make more effort for motor to turn the spur, but by using the bigger teeth spur will make much more acceleration , there for be turning the spur harder and quicker. i did mess up by saying taking the load off, but its the harder acceleration i did mean. i have just tried hand meshing the 15t and a 52 spur and 50, the mesh seems more suited to a 50t spur, not grabbing the teeth of the spur from the pointy end of the pinion. the 50 t is working better and picking the spur half way down the tooth. but i have just changed the 2 speed shoe holder, and i noticed the hole not centered that runs on the 2 speed shaft. definately a problem with that, as the 1st spur runs on this holder, so not turning true, slightly off ceter so will be meshing good then bad. maybe i have found the prob. i will try to post a pic. thanks guys.

That might be it Patto.
Ive had that problem but when i noticed it I changed it imediately.
Also noticed after every rebuild that the 2 speed housing gets worn where the bearing locates and starts to have some rock on it after a fair bit of running.Looks like the ally is soft and and slowly gets bigger that the bearing starts to float around in the hole.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #5081
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Patto:

Car is in the mail...

Everyone:

Thats it done and dusted for me and Team Magic at the moment. Thanks to everyone that assisted me here. Might catch up again shortly sometime...

BB
Thats sad bundy to see you leave us ,guess its about you being happy.
Enjoy and pop in and say hi.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:05 AM   #5082
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Quote:
Patto:

Car is in the mail...

Everyone:

BB

patto ya greedy man - LOL hey BUNDY BEAR what car ya got now?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #5083
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Razzor: Will drop in time to time to annoy some people

Kodak: I have a few to choose from at the moment and i may have further clearence sale shortly....

HPI Savage 25 LE "Puts the smile on your face guaranteed"
Kyosho Fwo5t+
AE Ntc3

sure there is others lying around in a box somewere...

BB
Old 03-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #5084
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Quote:
Razzor: Will drop in time to time to annoy some people

Kodak: I have a few to choose from at the moment and i may have further clearence sale shortly....

HPI Savage 25 LE "Puts the smile on your face guaranteed"
Kyosho Fwo5t+
AE Ntc3

sure there is others lying around in a box somewere...

BB
MY bro has NTC3, they setup well go very good for an old chasis model, thou there is heaps of great HOPUPS for it aswell!!

Goodluck with ya new choice of ride, sorry to see ya depart!!

We always welcome ya back if you decide to venture back!

Peace Out
Old 03-08-2007, 06:06 AM   #5085
Tech Elite

here is the shoe cam, tried to get the best pic, visible by eye, but very by verniers,
Attached Thumbnails
Team Magic G4-cam1.jpg   Team Magic G4-cam2.jpg  
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T