R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #5041
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
but 1 thing bad about ED is that its pinion is so easily damaged, compared to stock. i guess maybe its teeth is lesser, thereby easily to strip. i ran for 2 weeks, and the 1st pinion is almost gone. so now, i dun use the ED, cause the 2nd pinion is expensive.

i found that non ED system is much more powerful. m using 18/52, 23/47, with 18T brake pulley, 18T rear side belt pulley & 27T front side belt pulley.
1st speed ratio : 7.7037, 2nd speed ratio : 5.4492, 1st/2nd : 1.4137, ODR : 1.0
Uniquexme, I'm glad I'm not the only one that runs the 18T brake and 18T side pulleys. I felt a big difference when I changed from stock pulleys. The cars pulls strong out of corners, plus I don't have to buy pinions often. I want to try driving someone elses car with the ED system and see if I feel a big difference. It just hurts the pocket to buy new 1st and 2nd pinions every two race meets.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #5042
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo523
this is the clutch that i have, which part do i need to change to make my clutch work properly.

You need KF-K1410-4 - Large plate for clutch shoes. This prevents the weights from getting stuck on the edge of the flywheel.

Try Sam at Raceday
Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #5043
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
my car is sitting in the box until i get the tools i also ordered to build it.

question though how much does the ED tranny go for, and what does it improve noticably?
Dude, the ED tranny kit goes for around 120-125 USD. The benefits of this is that you will gain a lot of low end and at the same time have a higher top end. The low end is the most noticable from what most guys are saying. It allows the engine to rotate a lower RPM's through the final drive making it more efficient. I hope I worded that properly. If you go on K Factory's web site, look it up and it gives you a very detailed explintion. Here is link...http://www.kfactoryracing.com/produc...4122&pageNum=1
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #5044
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
but 1 thing bad about ED is that its pinion is so easily damaged, compared to stock. i guess maybe its teeth is lesser, thereby easily to strip. i ran for 2 weeks, and the 1st pinion is almost gone. so now, i dun use the ED, cause the 2nd pinion is expensive.

i found that non ED system is much more powerful. m using 18/52, 23/47, with 18T brake pulley, 18T rear side belt pulley & 27T front side belt pulley.
I keep hearing the wear situation about the pinions. I will have to agree that 2 days of racing before replacement is VERY poor! This has to do with the material. They either need to harden the pinions or make them out of a different alloy. I have yet to run my car, but I might give K Factory a extra heads up on this problem as I am sure they are aware of it. Maybe if we all complain about it, they will fix this flaw. I do know they take great pride in their workmanship.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #5045
afm
Tech Master

Quote:

Seems you didn't understand the benefits of the ED system.

Even at equal speed ratios between Standard system and Ed system, the difference between 2.526 and 2.190 FDR is several thousand less rpm on the main shaft between each acceleration and deceleration of the transmission.
Also the clutch bell & pinions are very light & very small (Standard kit pinions & bell weight about 13g, the new ED weight only 6g).

The transmission is the heaviest rotating part of the car and it takes the most power to spin it up and down between gears, and so it eats power (Inertia is the enemy). If we don't spin it up as high between gears, it’s all free power that is not wasted spinning up excess rotating inertia.

Top end improves, but sharpness also improves out of corners.

I will not discuss durabilty and pricing issues, but technically the ED system is superior to any similar combination done with the Standard system.

I will quote Dennis Richey when testing the original prototype of the Ed Transmission:
For example, here in Toledo our home track, we usually have 4 or 5 slow corners. With the previous standard setup, we had to run 58 mm tires for qualifying and still got our ass kicked off the corner by a couple tenths….Times 4 or 5 it added up.

We ran multiple tests using 18/23 on the old setup and 58 mm tires and 17/23 (new bell) on 61 mm tires, and the car was 8 full seconds faster in a 5 minute test. It was the difference between getting our buts kicked everywhere on the track at the Nationals to out qualifying the field by 3 full seconds at the Great lakes Challenge. The last two races we ran 63 mm tires with 16/22 and it was game over.

The off the corner and overall acceleration is nothing less than spectacular on tracks like the USA has, with tight stop and go corners.

Now, if you need lower speed ratios for your track than the ones provided with the ED system, then definetively you must go to 18T side and brake pulleys

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #5046
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

personally, i feel the ED is not very powerful. i understand the theory behind ED, lowering gear ratio, thereby engine run cooler. but i just dun feel the power. hmm, maybe something wrong with my engine at that time. so from that day on, i remove the ED.

anyone here trid to remove the ed and change back to stock? my frenz and i have trouble removing the middle mount pulley and front side belt pulley out of the middle mount, thus, ending up the middle mount pulley side cap stripped out of the pulley. hope u get wat i mean.

well, maybe if everthing runs fine, i will change back to ED to see how it runs again. hmm, i found many G4S has ED system installed. anyone facing the pinion easily damaged?
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #5047
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

oh, we have already notified TM on the quality issue of ED pinion, but i think we need more ppl to lodge more complaint before they will take this into consideration.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #5048
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Quote:
oh, we have already notified TM on the quality issue of ED pinion, but i think we need more ppl to lodge more complaint before they will take this into consideration.
I have a new ED trans installed, i will get practice under way this weekend, with a race aswell!

i shall take notice of what the pinions look like now, possible take a photo then after two days of racing see if i got wear!!

Ill keep ya posted, thou cheers for the heads up on this problem!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #5049
Tech Elite

Best of luck with practice and racing this weekend KH.
Did you do the strengthening mod to the speedshot system (Alloy piece)?

How did you get on with getting rid of your 'binding' problems you had earlier? Everything sorted now?

So much happens on this thread everyday that it can take an hour just to catch up so appologies if you've already explained this out.

The car looks great man. Nice paint job. I'll be interested what you post back about pinion wear.

Did you have to do anything about the length of the engine mount screws? I know an older problem with stripping gears and pinions wearing out prematurely was that the engine was moving creating a poor mesh and hence wear and breakages. I understand this was originally due to the screw sizes causing them to lock up before the motor was fully tightened down.

Just something else to check I guess.

Menace
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #5050
Tech Fanatic

Default ED pinion wear out.

i tested ED pinion.

15,16T -> very easily wear out..

17T -> does not wear out easily... long life.

20T,21T -> very easily wear out

22T -> i did not test.. But i expect long life..

in conclusion...

low T pinion wear out easily.. But high T pinion endure long time.

My RC-Friend got Xray NT1 in the latest. (he is NT1 Spon Driver)

NT1 normal pinion T is 16/21.

But it is very strong and no wear out (no scratch) for 2-3 day test.

i want that TM make more stable pinion (also spur gear)

★ Show Hobby(Novarossi)
Km Racing HK1 Meen Version
Another Nick: Bander
gansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #5051
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gansei
My RC-Friend got Xray NT1 in the latest. (he is NT1 Spon Driver)

NT1 normal pinion T is 16/21.

But it is very strong and no wear out (no scratch) for 2-3 day test.

i want that TM make more stable pinion (also spur gear)
I wonder if its possible to use NT1 pinion on our cars. keke.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #5052
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

hey guys
i will be building a front diff soon
does anyone know if the out drives from the oneway will fit the the diff
i have ordered the standard diff cup but think it would be better to use the stronger ones from the oneway
what do u think
oh G4s family

paul
Gascar 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #5053
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascar 24
hey guys
i will be building a front diff soon
does anyone know if the out drives from the oneway will fit the the diff
i have ordered the standard diff cup but think it would be better to use the stronger ones from the oneway
what do u think
oh G4s family

paul
the stock drive cup tat comes with the front diff is so lousy, its chipped off on 2 weekend racing. i think the drive cup should be the same with rear diff.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #5054
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Is there a chance someone can post pics of the wear of the ED pinions?

cheers
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #5055
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to asil

hey paul, I'm thinking of putting alu. rings on drive cups to make them stronger.. I'll talk to my lathe shop if they can do it.. will post pictures if I can produce them..

Asil
asil is offline   Reply With Quote