R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-04-2007, 05:11 AM   #4876
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
Howdy guys. bit of a report on our Cup day here in Perth.
small field of cars, but top 4 or 5 are pretty quick.
so 4 qualifiers and then a 20 min final.
qualified 3rd for the Main.
had my share of problems while i tried a thing or 2 on the pinions for the ED
i tried my 15 t pinion, and now i am willing to try it no more. stripped 2 1st spurs in 1 heat. each just lasting 1/2 a lap or less. mesh was set up the same as i use for my 16t pinion, but definately a problem, or i am doing something wrong ? but after i changed back to 16t all was good again. but my clutch settings needed to be adjusted. so i did this and in the final my clutch was locking up. i came in for the first fuel stop, and the car stalled. then on the out lap i got hit and the car spun and as soon as it went backwards it stalled. so i was quick to realise it was a clutch problem , and informed myt pit guy to get the car off the ground while still moving to prevent any further stalls. man the guy was a champ and it didnt happen anymore so it was up to me to make no mistakes and keep the car moving at all times. had great pace and no major mistakes, enough to finish 2nd, and a small trophie for my rewards. thanks to my pit man.
best lap this time out was a 16.868 so thats much better this time than a flat 17. i think i did like 6 or 7 laps in the 16's and many mid to low 17s consecutively, even with my clutch problem in the back of my mind. so good day out and some real fun racing.
Well done big fella, sounds like you worked hard for it!

People say i know nothing but I know [email protected]#K ALL!!!!
Toy000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #4877
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shano
Hey roy i tryed liquid mask and found it to be quite lumpy which made it extremely hard to use let me know how ya go cheers
Will do. I purchased a bottle of the Bob Dively brand. Its the mask that all the "pro" painters seem to use. Any painting I've done in the past I've used tape to make any simple design I used.
royfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #4878
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy000
Well done big fella, sounds like you worked hard for it!
dude thanks man.
i guess i had some good luck as others had some bad luck as well.
1st place drove a fultless race and had no mishaps at all. no pit issues or back marker issues. its hard to play catch up when this happens, so the results were a distant 1st place to 2nd and third was a few laps behind 2nd.
hope to make things bit closer next time. they say dont fix something that aint broken. guess i should learn from this
but thats why we do this yeah ? to learn and have some fun
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #4879
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
Howdy guys. bit of a report on our Cup day here in Perth.
small field of cars, but top 4 or 5 are pretty quick.
so 4 qualifiers and then a 20 min final.
qualified 3rd for the Main.
had my share of problems while i tried a thing or 2 on the pinions for the ED
i tried my 15 t pinion, and now i am willing to try it no more. stripped 2 1st spurs in 1 heat. each just lasting 1/2 a lap or less. mesh was set up the same as i use for my 16t pinion, but definately a problem, or i am doing something wrong ? but after i changed back to 16t all was good again. but my clutch settings needed to be adjusted. so i did this and in the final my clutch was locking up. i came in for the first fuel stop, and the car stalled. then on the out lap i got hit and the car spun and as soon as it went backwards it stalled. so i was quick to realise it was a clutch problem , and informed myt pit guy to get the car off the ground while still moving to prevent any further stalls. man the guy was a champ and it didnt happen anymore so it was up to me to make no mistakes and keep the car moving at all times. had great pace and no major mistakes, enough to finish 2nd, and a small trophie for my rewards. thanks to my pit man.
best lap this time out was a 16.868 so thats much better this time than a flat 17. i think i did like 6 or 7 laps in the 16's and many mid to low 17s consecutively, even with my clutch problem in the back of my mind. so good day out and some real fun racing.
A podium finish is a great day at the races Paul. Before lunch did you have the 15t pinion installed as what I saw was a very punchy combination. Who won today as not posted on WARCMCC site yet?
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #4880
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc05hdt
A podium finish is a great day at the races Paul. Before lunch did you have the 15t pinion installed as what I saw was a very punchy combination. Who won today as not posted on WARCMCC site yet?
Hey Mark, round 3 i ran the 15t pinion for the ED trans, and i got 1/2 a lap in before the spur stripped. so i put on another and it stripped again. so no i never got to run the 15 t, i think i will throw it out
what you saw today was what i normally run, but a little mod on the head button of the engine. and Brent won today, drove well and deserved the win, even if it was an MTX4
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #4881
Tech Adept

What mod to the head button? Have you turned it into a Hemi head or something?
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #4882
Tech Initiate

Default truck body

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-knight
Love the Ute body..looks cool!
thank's for the comment's ....appreciate it....
SacWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #4883
Tech Elite

Well I wish i could also post good news but unfortunately I had very tough day.
Didnt get to have practice yesterday due to work.
So started the 1st heat with a very loose car that was all over.
Played around with the setup as I progressed through the heats but didnt solve the problem.Also the day was extremely hot and this had its problems with tuning the engine as well.
Qualified 5 in Cmains
In the 20min final I started off with 3 flame outs but got car running well after this ,with a still happy rear end I managed to hold it together and won the Cmain.A few retirements also helped me for the result.
My setup was based on what I ran at the Nationals a few weeks back ,I was a bit over confident that this setup would work on my home track ,now I know better.
But at the end of the day i guess having these hassles makes us better drivers/tuners and we cant expect good results all the time.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #4884
Tech Elite

Axial .12RR 3 Port Spec-1 - $275 a definate candidate with great performance.needs to be geared shorter for better bottom that wont dissapoint.

AE Z .12R Team Spec 3 - $229 have no idea about this engine.

Ofna JLR Red dot .12 - $209 With what Ive heard this is a underated engine and a awesome performer.

OS .12TZ 3-port. - $270 Old reliable ,for $270 id say pricey for what you get but definately one of the more reliable engines in the tuning department.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #4885
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
Axial .12RR 3 Port Spec-1 - $275 a definate candidate with great performance.needs to be geared shorter for better bottom that wont dissapoint.

AE Z .12R Team Spec 3 - $229 have no idea about this engine.

Ofna JLR Red dot .12 - $209 With what Ive heard this is a underated engine and a awesome performer.

OS .12TZ 3-port. - $270 Old reliable ,for $270 id say pricey for what you get but definately one of the more reliable engines in the tuning department.
I got my TZ for only 199.99, and have seen the Ofna JLR Red Dot .12 for 179.00, But this is in the U.S
Wayne1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #4886
Tech Adept

what color springs should I start out with for a track with medium-high bite. Also what weight shock oil?
Wayne1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #4887
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
Well I wish i could also post good news but unfortunately I had very tough day.
Didnt get to have practice yesterday due to work.
So started the 1st heat with a very loose car that was all over.
Played around with the setup as I progressed through the heats but didnt solve the problem.Also the day was extremely hot and this had its problems with tuning the engine as well.
Qualified 5 in Cmains
In the 20min final I started off with 3 flame outs but got car running well after this ,with a still happy rear end I managed to hold it together and won the Cmain.A few retirements also helped me for the result.
My setup was based on what I ran at the Nationals a few weeks back ,I was a bit over confident that this setup would work on my home track ,now I know better.
But at the end of the day i guess having these hassles makes us better drivers/tuners and we cant expect good results all the time.
Razzo my friend, we know and i know how those days feel, least you didnt blowup a motor like i did...

Talk about why car is loose? got any images of the track you race on, id luv to share thoughts and possibly help out!

Last edited by Kodak Hodak; 03-04-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #4888
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Respect to all my G4S fans on this forum - made a special gallery here for you to view:

if i missed out on any send me a pic to pm box with link to image cheers

http://kodakhodak.blogspot.com/2007/...-stylz_05.html

regards
Frankie

Last edited by Kodak Hodak; 03-04-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #4889
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak
Respect to all my G4S fans on this forum - made a special gallery here for you to view:

if i missed out on any send me a pic to pm box with link to image cheers

http://kodakhodak.blogspot.com/2007/...-stylz_05.html

regards
Frankie
Frankie, good work there. Very cool of you to dedicate the time for the site. I hope to have my new body on there when complete.
royfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #4890
Tech Fanatic

Hey all. Well I didn't race today as I was hopeing too. The weather was too iffy. And since I have to drive 2.5 hours, I chose to not chance it. Yes it sucks. The weather here in Colorado is one of the most inconsitant places in the US. Due to us being right next to the mountains and our distance from the west coast on the other side of the mountains. Basically you NEVER know what the weather will do year round. Nice days this time of year are just inconsistant unfortunately. The weather man is only correct about 35-40% of the time. It's more like, "what's the weather like"?...I don't know, look out the window sort of thing. So I'm not 100% sure if they raced today or not. Our race track is a portable track and needs to be set up and tore down ever Sunday. This also plays a part in the Clubs decision to race or not with the weather. Unfortunaty we are slaves to the weather Gods.

But either way, I am not totally bumed out. I got my motor 80% broke in. Plus I didn't get my 1/8th scale, M11 radio and tons of parts from UPS until Friday afternoon. So needless to say, I really wasn't very ready to hit the track. Not being as ready as I usualy like influenced my decision to not head out today. Our next race is in 2 weeks. Now unless it's snowing that day, I will head to the track for sure. Plus in about a month another track will open up in Denver (about 1.3 hours away). Then even another small track in my town (10 minutes) should be starting soon too. Plus they race on Saturday's there. So it's only a matter of time until I race a minimum of once a week if not twice a week! SWEET!! It's just the track that is the furthest from me is dedicated to nitro. The other smaller tracks are electric and nitro. I will probably have to get my XRAY electric tourer out and race this as well so I'm not so bored at these other tracks. There is a newer offroad track in Denver that I might try out actually. It's obviously permanent, and I could take out some of my offroad stuff. Definitley 1/8 buggy!

Well sorry I don't have any cool race stories this week. But I can tell you that this JP Nova engine of mine is going to be a screamer. More mid to high rpm range. Very high rpm!! I need to paint a few more shells this week, so I will keep you all posted. Plus I want to do some small changes on my G4S like the Mugen ball ends everyone is doing and take out my diffs and double check them do to the leaking, plus some other little crap here and there. Until then guys, keep up the great work and posts!

Congrats PATTO!!! Dude, you are totally jammin!! Just a few more weeks and you will be lead man!!! I'm very happy to hear about your consistant progress after each race weekend. That is just awesome bro!! And razzor, well we all live and learn with our cars, this is how we learn different tracks. You still didn't do that bad considering your car was so off. Good job dude. Anyway, sorry again for the long post, you guys know me by now. Talk soon all! Later.