R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #4156
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Perkins
NO. If you have shock rebound like you are discribing then your shocks are pressurized. You should have NO shock rebound. Do the shocks you are using have a bladder? If so you should fill the shock with oil. Place the shock bladder on top of the oil. press down in the center of the bladder with the end of an exacto knife until it seals to the body. then put the shock cap on.
DUDE, THANK YOU!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #4157
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 244 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd
DUDE, THANK YOU!!!!!!
No problem. You may end up with a 1/8th to 1/4 inch of rebound but this is normal and should be the same for all 4 shocks.
Fred Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #4158
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickvanovs
i dont really understand about the shock rebound... what it suppose to act .
can someone explain it in a more simple way? or probably a video?
i thought shock should return to its normal position as fast as it can.
Dude, sorry for the confusion. Rebound means that when your done with your shocks (Oil, no spring) you push in the the shock shaft and see how far it comes out on it's own. You should have NO REBOUND!. Just like FRED was saying, meaning the shock shaft should stay inside the shock if you push it inside the shock. If it pops back out it is considered to have "rebound". OK.
Then ZOOM and I (Serpentd) were debateing back and forth on this subject. He thinks it a "useful" tuning tool, where as I disagreed and NEVER heard of such nonsences. However, I have race everything you can race in rc including electric touring, but not nitro sedan. So I guess I don't have enough "sedan" knowledge to properly answer this question. Anyway dude, for now, Try and build the shocks with Minimum rebound. My shock shafts might pop out about 1-3 mm when I build them. If they pop out more then that you have TOO MUCH OIL. But you might only have like 2 drops too much. Bottom line is youNEVER want it to extend fully! take your time on one shock until you get minimum rebound and notice how much oil was in the shock. Then repeat for the other 3 shocks. Very important to make all shocks have SAME amount of rebound or lack of. The less rebound the better. No rebound and no air is PERFECT!!!! But hard to do. Good luck and re-read my other posts to have all this info make sence.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #4159
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Perkins
No problem. You may end up with a 1/8th to 1/4 inch of rebound but this is normal and should be the same for all 4 shocks.
Your right! This is how I've done my shock for over 10 years, just takes a bit of practice for a begginer. Thanks for clearing up everything Fred!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #4160
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
Thanks D , for the encouragement, its all up to my driving now
Dude, you have got the driver inside of you!! That's obvious!! Stay clean on those back markers and try a 6 or 7 fin manifold for a bit more low end out of the corners. At least until you can afford a different engine. You won't loose anything on the straights, besides there is usually only one LONG straight, and 10+ corners. HINT . But you already know that! Keep up the GREAT work my friend. Your doing great on the points I found.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #4161
Tech Adept

On the shock subject I guess the amount of rebound would be base on each person, but seems to have the same outcome. The outcome is not to have an air pocket in the shock. the shock shaft should have a smooth compression and smooth return to full if you do so by hand and not have that little skip, for lack of a smarter word, that an air pocket gives. I don't think this is any different in 1/8th sale as well as 1/10th sale. It does take time and you have to know the special words to use you you think you have it correct and try it and it has either too much oil or not enough that time. I have those special words if you need them just email me!!! But when you do it enough during you racing time it does get easier.

Congrats to Patto on an excellent showing even with the lack of good engine power! We will resolve this problem soon!

The rims on the K Factory tires are a bit larger. I am in hopes this may translate into better handling. The same size rims are also on the Quick release tire also.
G4S'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #4162
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Firstly congrats on another podium finish for both Mike and Patto secondly the discussion on shocks and how they should be built is what forums are all about. At no point should anyone ever feel they are disrespecting anothers opinion. There will always be differences and its always informative to read different perspectives on things. Remember all knowledge is power and as long as we all have the same opinion on the g4s we can all agree on something.

People say i know nothing but I know [email protected]#K ALL!!!!
Toy000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #4163
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

At least it's entertaining.

I wrote a whole bunch of stuff explaining the theory and practice of why have a pressurised shock, but I have decided to remove it, and just concede that Serpentd knows far more than I ever will.

Cheers,

Mike.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com

Last edited by Z00M; 02-18-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #4164
Tech Adept

Zoom, I hope you will change your mind and not let one person influence your thoughts and helpful ideas that you can present all of racers that read and take part in this forum. At church today our Pastor mentioned he was at a group meeting and learn a lot from listening to the the presenter Pastor. He learn from anothe Pastor! He did not know it all and is not afraid to say he learned from someone else. I have been in this hobby for 22 years and still learn everyday from racer's post on this forum. I have a way I build my shocks. Zoom, I did not see your other post that you mention that is an explanation of the how's and why's to build a shock. I would and I am asking to please re-post these comments for all of us that missed it.

Everyone has their own thoughts and theories. Many believe that because they won a race they know best. My thoughts are if your name is NOT Mike Swauger, or Chris T, or Ralph Burch, and I could name others, than please state your ideas and don't by any stretch of the imagination think you are in a position to put down any other person's ideas. You may not agree with them, that is okay. But we are all here to learn and as I always tell everyone... THIS IS A HOBBY!... this is one of the places where we have fun and learn more about our hobby. Trust me, no one is inventing the wheel here, we are just making the wheel better. And we are going to laugh, enjoy each other, and make this a fun place for everyone.

I get emails that make me fall off my chair at times from my customers. FYI, most come from "down under". But that is what this hobby is and should all about. Their are many statements made by people who think they know it all, well unfortunately they don't!!! But just read them and then go to the next. That same person could come up with some good ideas the next time.... I doubt it... but they could...lol Point being, lets share our ideas, we can disagree, but not to the level where we get someone mad enough to the level that won't share their ideas with the rest of us. Smile guys you are spending a lot of money to have fun... so why not have fun!!.... Now the next most important thing for all of you to do is keep spending that money to have fun!!!!!
G4S'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #4165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

well said Sam

as for the comment on spending money i can only chuckle
Old 02-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #4166
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00M
At least it's entertaining.

I wrote a whole bunch of stuff explaining the theory and practice of why have a pressurised shock, but I have decided to remove it, and just concede that Serpentd knows far more than I ever will.

Cheers,

Mike.
Dude, what is the deal here bro? If you are going to post about your shock set up, you need to let us understand the benefit of this. I was just trying to explain that to stay consistant, I have always done it one way. The only reason I questioned your responce was do to the fact I have NEVER heard of it (pressurized shocks) used in ANY form of rc racing. I know I can come across a bit rough and hard headed, but that's not towards you ZOOM. Not at all. It's part of my personallity on a debate. This is how I actually get info from others that have something to offer. I know, I might go about it wrong and didn't mean to get you frazzeled. You obviously know your shit because I have been following your racing. You do great!

I actually asked you a question about the rebound and what you suggested for me to give this a try. Just understand that I wasn't on YOUR ass personally. I get too caught up in the actual "phisics" of what and how things work. I wasn't in automotive engineering for me to pass time. I like to understand the why and how etc. So dude, don't trip on me too much.

I totally appologize if I came across wrong. I trully don't mean to. I already admitted I can be a stuborn ass. Very stuborn, and sorry if I took it out on you and your post. I just didn't want any of the "Newbies" to get confused. Because what we were talking about is too advanced for them. you know how hard it is to get shocks perfect when you first start.

I was trying to pick your brain, but also not mix up things for the beginners. Make sence? And like you already know, I have minimal experience with nitro sedan and 0 track time on the G4S. So I could by all means learn a lot from someone as yourself. I just don't want your knowledge to go to waste on this forum because of my hard headedness. Everyone on here looks forward to any input, and a lot of that comes from you ZOOM. So I hope you accept my appology and not let this little shock thing come between us and more important, everyone else on here. Hell, i'll be the first to admit I have a life time of learning still ahead of me. As soon as we think we know it all then we stop learning and living. I don't want that for anyone. We all want the same thing, and that is to become a better driver and have a car that runs and handles better each week. We ALL need each other to acomplish these goals, I need you as much as you need me. That's how I look at it.

By the way ZOOM, keep up the good racing! It's great to see you and some others on here kicking ass with the G4S. We all know the G4S is the least popular pro sedan car and to see you and Patto kick ass on the Mugens and Serpents etc is sweet for me to hear. I hope your cool with me dude, no hard feelings on my side whatsoever. It's all cool bro, Later

SORRY ZOOM!!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #4167
Tech Fanatic

Hey Sam,

Dude, I like how you said "one person". You can use my name. I don't get offended. but anyway, thanks for the post. As far as the spending money thing...can I borrow some money to spend at your shop? I promise I will only spend it at your shop and not on my Taco Bell or stuff. I hope your staying busy, because without you, we're all SOL!!!! Keep up the great work Sam.

By the way, how do you set up your shocks?? Dude, just kidding. Take it easy buddy!
Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #4168
Tech Elite

I have tried to read some of the post's concerning dampers (shocks), hoe people build them and how they work.

Now I know for a fact there are alot of you who are far better drivers and have been doing "rc" for alot longer then I have. But...............

incorrect information is still incorrect, even if said by a a world champion who builds their own shocks..........

I have been asked to explain a few things concerning shock operation in particular those which involve the use of bladders.

I do not want to offend anyone but asked I will again put my 2 cents worth in later if I may......at work again and no time at present.

Menace
Old 02-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #4169
Tech Elite

Reading my post I do sound very p*%$$. Its not due to anything here !
I'm working third shift now... Nights

And I hate it....so my appologies if I came over a little.......cold.

Menace
Old 02-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #4170
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace
Reading my post I do sound very p*%$$. Its not due to anything here !
I'm working third shift now... Nights

And I hate it....so my appologies if I came over a little.......cold.

Menace
Dude, you didn't sound pissy to me. Write your opinion or facts on this subject please. I probably messed everyone up in the head.
So I would love to hear your view of our G4S shocks. Any and all tips very welcomed here. Thanks bro!