R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #3751
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Longer version video uploaded of yesterdays prac... 3min long

enjoy

P.S. excuse the commentry as my brother is a dick....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVc0pVgnXI

Last edited by Kodak Hodak; 02-03-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #3752
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnitro
How do you guys fill up your shocks with oil?

It does take me several tries to get it just right. I usually fill it with oil, then move the piston up and down a few times to get rid of air, then let it sit for a few minutes. Then I put the cap on. If I put too much oil, the shaft doesn't go up, if there is not enough oil, then I can hear squeeks. Just when I think I got it right, the rebound rates are different from one shock to another. Theres got to be an easier way.
I lost my camera, so please try to follow my poor writing.

Have you tried drilling a 1mm hole on the alluminum collar that seals the top of the shock? Drill it on the side just about .5mm to 1 mm below the bladder level so the excess oil drains thruough it. Also, keep the shock shaft pressed in about 2/3 of the way when threading in the alumunimun collar we are discussing. You can see this in the Mugen shocks.

Someone else in this thread had suggested that. I take no credit for this and it worked great! This usually gives fairly consistent volumes.

Does it make sense?? Man, I should really have a camera! (have been spending my money on RC, instead, haha!!)
gtrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #3753
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmx
I lost my camera, so please try to follow my poor writing.

Have you tried drilling a 1mm hole on the alluminum collar that seals the top of the shock? Drill it on the side just about .5mm to 1 mm below the bladder level so the excess oil drains thruough it. Also, keep the shock shaft pressed in about 2/3 of the way when threading in the alumunimun collar we are discussing. You can see this in the Mugen shocks.

Someone else in this thread had suggested that. I take no credit for this and it worked great! This usually gives fairly consistent volumes.

Does it make sense?? Man, I should really have a camera! (have been spending my money on RC, instead, haha!!)
Hey gtrmx, is this what you meant? I am lucky enough to have a camera. This is an older shock, but it is Mugen, it was used for both their MTX2 and the 235mm Advance. But mainly I was trying to get a picture of the hole you were describing. Hope this helps guys! Later!!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #3754
Tech Fanatic

Sorry, here are the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Team Magic G4-mugen-shock-002.jpg   Team Magic G4-mugen-shock-003.jpg   Team Magic G4-mugen-shock-001.jpg  
Old 02-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #3755
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak
Longer version video uploaded of yesterdays prac... 3min long

enjoy

P.S. excuse the commentry as my brother is a dick....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVc0pVgnXI

Excuse the commentry.... NO WAY that my friends is GOLD

Rob

People say i know nothing but I know [email protected]#K ALL!!!!
Toy000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #3756
Tech Elite

great vid Kodak !
And a wicked track you guys have there
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #3757
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
great vid Kodak !
And a wicked track you guys have there
nice but hard to set up on its on the side of a hill lots of off camber corners
play havoc with set up
they say it is prob the hardest track to setup on in aussie land
Gascar 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #3758
Tech Adept

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd
Sorry, here are the pics...

That is exactly what I meant!!!
gtrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:34 AM   #3759
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

WA Championship - Round 1.

Well, racing finally got under way here in Western Australia (seems like it has been forever!).

I was pretty pleased with my day. I managed to get my Team Orion CRF engine sorted out by the time the last qualifyer came along. And with everything sorted, I managed to take the TQ by 2 seconds over an MTX-4 driver.

In the final, I managed to make a small gap off the pole and as me and the MTX-4 worked our way through the traffic, the MTX-4 spun and ended up getting hit causing him some dramas. So with the pressure off, I managed to wheel the car around and cruise home for a comfortable win, 3 laps in front.

Patto did well also to work his way back up to second place after an early flame out, so this gave the G4S's first and second for the opening round of the championship. I'm not sure where he qualified (3rd I think) so I'll leave it to him to give his account of the day.

Cheers,

Mike.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #3760
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmx
That is exactly what I meant!!!
Dude, different parts of the world, yet our minds are thinking together! That's a cool type of team work I must say! SWEET bro!!!! Glad we were on the same page with that one. Just between you and me...dude, we KICK ASS! We'll just keep that our little secret. Later my friend!!!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:05 AM   #3761
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00M
WA Championship - Round 1.

Well, racing finally got under way here in Western Australia (seems like it has been forever!).

I was pretty pleased with my day. I managed to get my Team Orion CRF engine sorted out by the time the last qualifyer came along. And with everything sorted, I managed to take the TQ by 2 seconds over an MTX-4 driver.

In the final, I managed to make a small gap off the pole and as me and the MTX-4 worked our way through the traffic, the MTX-4 spun and ended up getting hit causing him some dramas. So with the pressure off, I managed to wheel the car around and cruise home for a comfortable win, 3 laps in front.

Patto did well also to work his way back up to second place after an early flame out, so this gave the G4S's first and second for the opening round of the championship. I'm not sure where he qualified (3rd I think) so I'll leave it to him to give his account of the day.

Cheers,

Mike.
Ahhhh, my Aussie friends are raging with their G4S's! Dude I am way stoked to hear that you guys kicked some Mugen butt today. It sounds as though you all had a fun day at the track. I am very glad to hear that. Well bro, I just wanted to say congrats and keep up the good driving...that goes for you too Pattojnr and all my other Aussie bro's! Please keep us all posted as the point series continues. Later guys!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:11 AM   #3762
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yes Round 1 got of on a good note for the G4S here in Perth. I did qualify 3rd, for the final. having the new speedshot front end, i had the upper hinge pin highest outer setting (lower roll center). i chose this setting to start with due to a dusty track and low grip early in the qualifiers. i ran 37 fronts , and outer hole on the steering link at the front hub.
i actually lost some steering,it was hard to get it to turn in. so second qualifier i changed caster to less to get some initial turn in, but then lacked on power steering. 3rd qualifier i changed caster back to std, and loosened the rear sway bar. as the track was getting more grip the turn in improved but wasnt at its best.
last qualifier i changed to 40 rears from 37, and still had 37 fronts on. i changed the steering link to closest to the hub (inner hole). this was much better turn in and as grip kept improving i went for this setting for the final.
the car was good in the final but had my share of bad luck, the engine stalled on the pit stop and i didnt have starter box handy so a run to the bench to fire it back up and i lost a lot of time, while trying to make up that time i got caught up with a backmarker, and somehow i lost steering on the car. managed to keep the car on the track for the last 5 or so laps to finish way behind Mike.
later i looked at the car, and the right hand front wheel badly buckled and had a tight spot where it was touching the steering link so i was lucky to finish where i did and with the flame out as well. so was a pleasing day for sure, and great to be back racing after so long.
i think a lot of time was taken in the front end adjustments to get the car to turn in again, so i let a few things slip (slack) so i hope to play with the rear roll center of the new style hubs. thanks guys , and well done mike.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:02 AM   #3763
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to MaDaGAS CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
Yes Round 1 got of on a good note for the G4S here in Perth. I did qualify 3rd, for the final. having the new speedshot front end, i had the upper hinge pin highest outer setting (lower roll center). i chose this setting to start with due to a dusty track and low grip early in the qualifiers. i ran 37 fronts , and outer hole on the steering link at the front hub.
i actually lost some steering,it was hard to get it to turn in. so second qualifier i changed caster to less to get some initial turn in, but then lacked on power steering. 3rd qualifier i changed caster back to std, and loosened the rear sway bar. as the track was getting more grip the turn in improved but wasnt at its best.
last qualifier i changed to 40 rears from 37, and still had 37 fronts on. i changed the steering link to closest to the hub (inner hole). this was much better turn in and as grip kept improving i went for this setting for the final.
the car was good in the final but had my share of bad luck, the engine stalled on the pit stop and i didnt have starter box handy so a run to the bench to fire it back up and i lost a lot of time, while trying to make up that time i got caught up with a backmarker, and somehow i lost steering on the car. managed to keep the car on the track for the last 5 or so laps to finish way behind Mike.
later i looked at the car, and the right hand front wheel badly buckled and had a tight spot where it was touching the steering link so i was lucky to finish where i did and with the flame out as well. so was a pleasing day for sure, and great to be back racing after so long.
i think a lot of time was taken in the front end adjustments to get the car to turn in again, so i let a few things slip (slack) so i hope to play with the rear roll center of the new style hubs. thanks guys , and well done mike.
well done fellas good to see the g4s and urselves got of to a flying start for the new season, how many cars were in the field ???
MaDaGAS CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #3764
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme
Default steering block knuckle bolt

can i check with u guys, for the steering block, there are these 2 big nuts that we need to tighten, may i know until how much degree should we tighten it to? until it doesn't move? or we still have to have some play on it? thanks.
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #3765
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
can i check with u guys, for the steering block, there are these 2 big nuts that we need to tighten, may i know until how much degree should we tighten it to? until it doesn't move? or we still have to have some play on it? thanks.
the 2 big silver nuts for the pillow balls ?
they should be tight enough to not have play but also not to bind so they turn easy by hand. hope this helps
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote