R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-19-2006, 01:15 AM   #2626
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Guys, hoping to get a bit of advice here.

I have a standard G4 that I am looking to upgrade. My first thought was to buy the G4S upgrade kit for $189 as it seems to have most everything I need. My second thought though was to buy the KFactory 4mm chassis, the G4 Bellcrank conversion, the Kfactory middle mount, alloy servo mount and the TM G4s receiver mount. With a bit of cutting and filing on the radio plate I should then be able to mount the battery the same as a G4s and get the benefit of the weight balancing.

Has anyone else tried this with any success? Would this be a better (and cheaper) option that buying the upgrade kit or does the G4s chassis offer other benefits that are not realised in the Kfactory G4 chassis?
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:24 AM   #2627
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i have my G4S for sell, with new clutch bell and many parts, all for USD 240 in U.S. or 260 international . you got everything from it,
Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 AM   #2628
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teehomo
Guys, hoping to get a bit of advice here.

I have a standard G4 that I am looking to upgrade. My first thought was to buy the G4S upgrade kit for $189 as it seems to have most everything I need. My second thought though was to buy the KFactory 4mm chassis, the G4 Bellcrank conversion, the Kfactory middle mount, alloy servo mount and the TM G4s receiver mount. With a bit of cutting and filing on the radio plate I should then be able to mount the battery the same as a G4s and get the benefit of the weight balancing.

Has anyone else tried this with any success? Would this be a better (and cheaper) option that buying the upgrade kit or does the G4s chassis offer other benefits that are not realised in the Kfactory G4 chassis?
The upgrade kit doesnt come with the new clutch so in all honesty you will be better off buying a new kit and keeping your old one for spares.It really depends how serious you are.
Roki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #2629
Tech Adept

is there going to be a new G4 out soon maby a worlds edition?
nitro_racer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #2630
Tech Fanatic

To be honest, I'm sure this car can compete without any hicups right out of the box as I originally had it about three weeks ago. I went with all the hop ups because I have the money, Im use to 1:8th scale which doesn't get any faster and have been racing smei-pro for over 7 years. If your a good enough racer to go to a large event and hang in the A or B mains, you need every little edge you can get. Your are talking .10's of a second from TQ to 12th position after 5 minute qualifiers. I can tell you that this is way more driving skill then fancy hop ups. My first time out with my S720 was a large event and only owned the car for a week prior and was keeping up with heavily modded Mugen and Kyosho. So I truly believe that the stock G4S is a very capable race car right out of the box. Hell, the S720 doesn't even have a laydown servo for the throttle. I might just buy another G4S and keep it stock to prove a point. Driving and setup will out do any mods, ALWAYS!
Old 11-19-2006, 04:55 AM   #2631
Regional Moderator

So basically :

- If you run stock G4S, you look good on the track
- If you run full hopped up G4S, you look good on the track AND also looks way cooler in the paddock area

daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #2632
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniz24
So basically :

- If you run stock G4S, you look good on the track
- If you run full hopped up G4S, you look good on the track AND also looks way cooler in the paddock area

Exactley! It never hurts to look good too. We all love the looks of the cool stuff. I'd still buy it if it gave no performance gain. Nothing like the WOW factor when it looks like the car is doing 70mph on your pit table!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:40 AM   #2633
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd
Exactley! It never hurts to look good too. We all love the looks of the cool stuff. I'd still buy it if it gave no performance gain. Nothing like the WOW factor when it looks like the car is doing 70mph on your pit table!

Id have to agree
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:49 PM   #2634
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki
I would have thought it would make good sence for TM to release another version soon with alot of the KFactory stuff on it. When the G4s was released what did you really need to buy,yep pretty much nothing. Now any serious racer needs ..........

ED system $125
Spare gears for ED $100
Spare / more 30 teeth front pully for a selection of diffs $ ??
Same for the rear diff $??
Speed shot front end $100
Side braces $100

Basicaly your getting 1 good race car for the price of two

All adding up to a pretty penny/dollar. Anybody looking to buy a new car will be put off straight away by the cost of throwing out lots of old bits and replacing parts. I have a great investment in spares and its even made me think twice and its only because i know the car is fantastic and have some help from a UK distributer that I'm prepaired to "Invest".

Come on TM where's the G4SS or what ever you wanna call it ?

I dont want to see people miss out on a G4 for this reason. Oh and if you could let me know by Christmas that would be good so I can scrub off the fluffy jumper and slippers and get a proper Prezzy Hahahahaaaaa

I think there is no reason to hit on TM so badly!

Look at how other brands actually have to come up with a totally new design every time they introduce a change...

705, 710, 720
MTX2, MTX3, MTX4
V one r, RR, RRR, RRR WCE, etc...

The G4's bulkheads, belts, suspensions arms and quite a few other bits are still totally compatible with the original car...

Only the parts that really needed improvements have been touched!

Personally I prefer buying the new kit if it is released becuase it is still cheaper than buying a lot of the parts separately as spares. But that same thing applies to basically any kit and brand out there.

I am rather grateful TM/K Factory is looking for ways to improve the car! You cannot stop progress! And should not attempt to do so either!
gtrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #2635
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

well, G4S has indeed improved on its newer batch. my frenz just got this new batch, it has quite a few different parts :

- front 1-way is grey in color, similar to those replacement that u buy seperately
- shock membrane or bladder has changed from lousy black color to orange color (maybe something like those silicon blue from KF)
- Carbon Fibre upper deck has a different pattern
- and a few others, can't remember all.
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:15 AM   #2636
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm with GTR on this one.

I race the G4S in quite a competitive environment (yes, it seems we are always racing for sheep stations!).

Take yesterday for example. In track conditions that were far from ideal, I managed to qualify 1st. Unfortunately due to my own poor tyre management, I ended up running out of tyres in the final and finished second.

I run the car very close to what comes out of the box. The only things I have changed are the way the shocks mount (I use serpent top balls and mugen lower balls, shock ends and spring retainers) and I run a 26T gear on the front outer drive. Of course I also have a TM spring kit. In writing this I also realised that I have the black and yellow clutch springs.

The reason I changed the way the shocks mount was for convenience in getting them on and off as I often like to tinker with spring rates and fluids. None of these things were changed because of durability.

If I had plenty of cash, I guess I would be tempted to try the ED Transmission. I will add the new rear hubs at some point to see if there is a gain in the roll centre adjustment.

To me, five days of practice is worth more than some hop ups I can add to the car. In that five days you could learn so much if you had a plan to gather the required data on setups. I never seem to have enough time to try everything I want to try with the car. The last time I had a full day of practice at the track, I spent it on clutch setups. Six whole hours on trying the different combinations in the way the clutch is set up.

It must have helped too as I still hold the track record for qualifying over 5 minutes.

For anyone wanting to run the new parts, I think if you can afford them then try them (and report back on what combinations you found worked! ), for those of us on a budget then keep working with the G4S as it comes. Look into the setups posted by the european drivers on the TM website and 3hobby.net, and see what out of those can be tailored to suit your own racing style.

Sorry for the really long post, but I just want people to know that the G4S is a winning car with what comes in the box. You certainly don't need all the hop-ups to make the car work.

Cheers,

Mike.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:13 AM   #2637
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well I did not see this thread, but you answered some of my questions right there. I purchased one off ebay for 179 looked like to good a deal to pass up!
reddishdsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:18 AM   #2638
Tech Adept

I just purchased and installed my G4S upgrade kit, starting from the G4 RTR package. This is my first RC car, so I cant comment on how well it runs compared to other cars. I can, however, comment on the difference between the RTR setup and the G4S setup...

wow.

I can turn now!!!

The car feels light years stiffer and more responsive, it handles like its on rails and while I know the upgrade kit has nothing to do with engine performance, I think adding the upgraded parts and spending some time with my little one has made her happier and better performing overall.

Last night, BIGTACO and I went to the local parking lot where the surfaces are more or less flat enough to play around on and I have to tell you...

My engine has never run so well! It started right up, ran like a dream and didnt have a single problem all the way through the first tank of gas.

Sam at www.racedayhobbies.com gave me exactly the advice I needed and I am SO happy with my G4S that I think I may have just soiled my skivvies.
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #2639
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schufflerbot
I just purchased and installed my G4S upgrade kit, starting from the G4 RTR package. This is my first RC car, so I cant comment on how well it runs compared to other cars. I can, however, comment on the difference between the RTR setup and the G4S setup...

wow.

I can turn now!!!

The car feels light years stiffer and more responsive, it handles like its on rails and while I know the upgrade kit has nothing to do with engine performance, I think adding the upgraded parts and spending some time with my little one has made her happier and better performing overall.

Last night, BIGTACO and I went to the local parking lot where the surfaces are more or less flat enough to play around on and I have to tell you...

My engine has never run so well! It started right up, ran like a dream and didnt have a single problem all the way through the first tank of gas.

Sam at www.racedayhobbies.com gave me exactly the advice I needed and I am SO happy with my G4S that I think I may have just soiled my skivvies.
Well schufflerbot that is awesome to hear. I dig hearing people having fun with their cars, sounds like you made the right move. I do have to say that Sam at Raceday is the sh*t!!! So dude...what engine do you run? just curious is all.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #2640
Tech Adept

right now i'm running the engine that came with the RTR kit. Its an SH .15
2.5cc engine. I'm considering a new novarossi or TZ for x-mas, though.

maybe.

this one runs great, but BIGTACO's Novarossi leaves everyone behind on the str8's.
schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote