R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #2206
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

after I set the droop what will the black things do? will they even make a difference?

I took the car to the track and it was running 50/50, I havent ran in 3 months so it was me too, but the car was hugging the corners, and during a turn if I needed to acell and hug the turn tighter it would turn in when i told it to. ok so thats perfect, I can carry corner speed into the corner and keep it around the turn (i did add like .5 degrees toe out in the front)

the only thing I need to fix is my roll, the car steers to the right a little, I can adjust that on the trim but its just something I didnt do, because my battery pack died on me even though the charger read charged like 4 times!!

other then that the car runs great on the track, I have to change the first gear spur cause mine is all chewed up.

so yeah I was worried but even tho the car has been sititng there for close to 1/2 a year, it still lives up to the team magic nameand proves its a natural racer.

I just have to do some final tweaks, tighten the belt tensioner, tighten everything down.
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #2207
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to ickvanovs

hey guys,
when off throtle my car seems to have a bigger radius to turn. also if i try to accelerate while still turning my car tend to spin. i feel like the rear doesnt have enough grip or something.
what setting should i change?

body: k-factory lola
droop: F 2 R 4
camber: F 2 RL 4.5 RR 3.5
toe: F 0-0.5 out R 3 in
spring: purple
shock oil: AE 40
ickvanovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #2208
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Finally got to Race!!!

After many weekends in a row of having bad weather on Saturday, today was beautiful, and the race was on. My buddy, Troy and I have identical setups as our first onroad cars. G4s with Picco 3port Roar. We have many years racing 1/8th buggies, and boats, but never onroad. So needless to say we were excited. My G4s had been ran in, and I got to run a few practice laps a couple of weekends ago before a bad storm blew in and literally started blowing the track away. So it had maybe 5-6 tanks through it. Troy ran his car in last night in front of his home, and we were at the track early and had it on the setup board this morning. I guess this is the definition of "green".

As the morning went on we dialed and tuned as the "experienced" onroad guys were showing up. They were running mostly NTC3s, R40, may have been a Serpent, but I never got a close up. No pro class racers, but everyone there had more onroad experience than Troy or myself. For setup I went with the DAS setup I found here or Team Magic's site were he lists for bumpy track with low traction. The track is a portable setup in a nice sized new parking lot across the street from our LHS. The track was setup in a nice layout that I would consider a higher speed. We both thought we would be doing good to keep up when it came race time. Finally it was time for the first heat and Troy and I were on the stand, palms sweating.

After a couple of laps I was focused and was getting confortable with the track (no jumps, and no dust everywhere), and the G4S was hooked up. About then the announcer comes over the PA and says, "in first place Gary(me), followed by Troy....." Troy is standing next to me on the stand says shockingly, "Dude we're in the lead!!!". I say nothing but think to myself, "Holy crap we're in the lead. I kept getting faster and had about a third of a lap lead when I spin out and jump the "boards". This is the portable white plastic track setup that you normally can drive over, turn around and come back over to continue. I went over and instead of being able to turn around I hit it just right and flipped over on my lid. Car flamed out and I had a DNF....but had fastest lap by almost 1.5sec. Troy gets second.

I retuned, and solved the flameout problem and get ready for the second heat race. Repeat of the first except the G4 is absolutely flying. I had lapped last place car and was driving well when all hell broke lose. I was coming to the last corner before the long start/finish straight. Two or three cars had tangled and there where marshalls running all over. I slow and safely make it through and come onto the straight. Right about the time the car shifts I take my eyes off it to evaluate the mess I had just traversed. My car is parallel to the track system and I got too close to it. I got caught up on the track and it takes my car like a railroad track at 40mph or so and I can't stop or turn. At the end of the straight are two five gallon buckets with posts cemented into them for the transponder system. The track takes my G4 right into one of the buckets busting the front left wheel, upper arm and shock mount. Fastest lap of the day, but DNF. Troy came in first.

I was able to get my car repaired with no time to spare for the 3rd heat. But the car was tweaked a little and I was tweaked more. The crash had shaken my confidence. I was still putting some fast laps down but wasn't consistent. and before the 5min heat was over I ran out of fuel. I assumed that in the heat of trying to repair the crash damage and make it to the line to start I haad forgotten to top it off. But in the last race of the day for me I made sure that it was full and ran dry at 11 laps when Troy finished in first with 14 laps and around 1/3tank. I don't know if the crash is affecting it or what, but we have identical Piccos and pipes. I need to give it a good going over.

Final analysis....Even with the bad luck I had the best time R/Cing that I've had in a long time. Maybe the most fun ever. I always new I would love onroad racing, just never had the opportunity to try it. I have nothing to compare against, but the G4S is awesome. I was driving pretty well, and getting better. Pavement is way different than dirt, but I felt I was adapting pretty quickly. But I think the G4S made me look better than I was. It was simply dialed. I could take others at pretty much any point on the track. In the end I had fast laps in every heat I was in and fastest lap of the day, but DNF's. Troy on the other had came out with the overall first in his first onroad racing ever. Not too shabby.
royfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:41 AM   #2209
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickvanovs
hey guys,
when off throtle my car seems to have a bigger radius to turn. also if i try to accelerate while still turning my car tend to spin. i feel like the rear doesnt have enough grip or something.
what setting should i change?

body: k-factory lola
droop: F 2 R 4
camber: F 2 RL 4.5 RR 3.5
toe: F 0-0.5 out R 3 in
spring: purple
shock oil: AE 40
Ickvanovs:

I raced my car for the first time today and experienced the same sort of thing. I noticed that as i out more lean on the car in a corner it would spin out when i hit the gas.... I am not sure if i need to reduce the droop to get more suspension travel or disconnect the rear sway bar (soft)...

I am pretty much running box setup:

0mm front droop, 3mm rear
sway bars are all set to soft...

Look forward to reading people's imput

BB
Old 10-01-2006, 03:31 AM   #2210
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey guys, i had actually my best day today. my car was also oversteering, and tended to hook up at the front and turn in on itself. i ran harder front tires and blue springs at the front, and dropped the diff fluid to 10,000wt. this cured my problems and now have totall confidence in my setup now. i just have to work on the motor. Mega ZX12 not what i thaught it would be. ill try a OS carb on it and if it doesnt improve ill be flicking it. may look at a Novarossi plus 3C. but at least the car is great
id just like to add, that i was searching for more grip at the rear, but Sam (raceday hobbies) steered me in the right direction, in reducing diff fluid, and harder front tires and i think he suggested aqua springs, but i went to blues shortly after. to find more rear grip, i actually worked on the front of the car. i ran 38 rear tires, 42 fronts, blue spring front and softest on rear. this took away front grip but gave me rear grip but still had great steering.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T

Last edited by Pattojnr; 10-01-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:43 AM   #2211
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
Hey guys, i had actually my best day today. my car was also oversteering, and tended to hook up at the front and turn in on itself. i ran harder front tires and blue springs at the front, and dropped the diff fluid to 10,000wt. this cured my problems and now have totall confidence in my setup now. i just have to work on the motor. Mega ZX12 not what i thaught it would be. ill try a OS carb on it and if it doesnt improve ill be flicking it. may look at a Novarossi plus 3C. but at least the car is great
id just like to add, that i was searching for more grip at the rear, but Sam (raceday hobbies) steered me in the right direction, in reducing diff fluid, and harder front tires and i think he suggested aqua springs, but i went to blues shortly after. to find more rear grip, i actually worked on the front of the car. i ran 38 rear tires, 42 fronts, blue spring front and softest on rear. this took away front grip but gave me rear grip but still had great steering.
tires: im using 37 both front and rear. do i need to try harder front? or go softer rear?
springs: im using purple. i guess i need to go softest at rear.
diff: im using 10.000 that came with the kit.
any other suggestion?
thx
Old 10-01-2006, 05:17 AM   #2212
Tech Elite

This is what worked for me and MY track. i tried to run 38's all round but was no good. too much front bite. car felt like it dug in at the front and instantly turned the car around. i tried what Sam suggested, but i was heading that way, it re-enforced what i had to do to get the car to handle great. i run on med-low traction track with some bumps in the right areas to get the car unsettled. pretty high speed with technical infeild. the heavier diff lube i used, acted like a LSD and the back of the car was easy to slide but not controllable. the thinner diff lube i used, allowed the wheel with out traction to spin a little with out upsetting the wheel with the load. running the harder front springs and tires, allowed the car to push a bit and not hook up and spin the car out. 2 seperate problems i had, but i also tried to get more traction at the rear before i took some away from the front (a mistake and inexperience). i admit i lost mid corner speed, but i will try to soften the front swaybar next time to maybe help to recover this loss. but i did find i could be more agressive with getting the trottle on and was able to get some controlled rear steering. every track has different setup required, but dont rule out hardening the front to achieve rear grip.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 AM   #2213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's funny that I run on the same track as Patto, and I ended up using the aqua front springs but I used the purple (1.5mm) rear springs with 38 front and 40 rear tyres.

There are lots of other variables but I always find it interesting to see so many different setups work for different drivers on any given day. It's part of what I like most about onroad - the technical aspect.

Patto and I discuss ideas but we don't really share too much info because we find that what works for one doesn't work for the other. But the concept is always the same - when the track grips up, you need to take away some grip from the front and when the grip is low you usually find you need to add some grip to the front.

I managed the TQ today but I DNF'd with a broken engine in the final after only 4 minutes or so . Still a wickedly good fun day.

Cheers,

Mike.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:02 AM   #2214
Tech Elite

well, maybe all i need to do is run on 40 fronts to get my mid steering back ? this is the challenge, and the fun in trying to get the right setup for individual/track. this is what makes this sport interesting. face it if it didnt challenge the individual, then they probably wouldnt stick with it ? but as Zoom states, different drivers, same track = different setups. its all good. the main thing today was the top 4 qualifiers had 2 G4s's in it. but in saying that i have a long way to go to get to where i want to be. thats why it is so enjoyable.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 10-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #2215
Tech Master

Don't know if this will help you guys, but even on the lower grip UK tracks I csnnot run anything softer than 40's on the rear (unless it's wet).
I run 40 F and R with a little more droop, just enought to let the car roll a little in the corners, and I am searching for more front grip (rear is planted).
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #2216
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
Don't know if this will help you guys, but even on the lower grip UK tracks I csnnot run anything softer than 40's on the rear (unless it's wet).
I run 40 F and R with a little more droop, just enought to let the car roll a little in the corners, and I am searching for more front grip (rear is planted).
other than spring and tires, what else i can do to get more rear grip?

btw changing the ankerman can reduce the understeer off throttle?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #2217
Tech Champion

Quote:
other than spring and tires, what else i can do to get more rear grip?

btw changing the ankerman can reduce the understeer off throttle?
Fresh tires.

Your car is okay. You need fresh tires.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #2218
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

I run 37s and I soak those 37s in some sun block, well they grip great, maybe too much grip
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #2219
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
I run 37s and I soak those 37s in some sun block, well they grip great, maybe too much grip
maybe i should try your sun block tips
Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #2220
Tech Elite

Quote:
tires: im using 37 both front and rear. do i need to try harder front? or go softer rear?
springs: im using purple. i guess i need to go softest at rear.
diff: im using 10.000 that came with the kit.
any other suggestion?
thx
Your tire is ok. Use downforce wing at rear of the bodies as I told you before or change the front springs to one level harder (green color).
Also check your car settings (droop, toe and chamber).