Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mtveten
Actually the Kyosho and Mugen can both gear that low and at smaller tracks it is a huge advantage to be able to do so.

The reality is that a 5.15 FDR for 2nd gear is going to work well for torq motors on tracks in the 200-215ft range but with most US parking lot tracks in the 150-175ft range lower gearing is needed. Now for RPM motors like the Sirio STI or Orion gearing would be a serious problem for anything less than 225ft.

Either 14/19T clutchbell gearing or 20T brake w/ 26T side options would solve the problem. At the very least the 19T 2nd clutch gear is needed, the 7.65 1st would be workable for just about any track but the 5.15 2nd just wont cut it for parking lot racing.

Here in Region 11 we have only 2 race facilites over 175 long and neither of them races that often. Nearly all of the nitro racing in the area is on 150ft parkinglot tracks.
You can get super close with what you're looking for with the new tranny and the use of a couple of pulley's from the current set-up... I came up with 7.973 1st and 5.29 2nd with a few mods and still have 100% front/rear tire split... Use the 18t rear front pulley, the 20t brake pulley and 20t rear side pulley with 15/52 1st gear and 20/46 2nd gear... So many more gearing options are available now... Now just finding the right size belts... I'm sure that should be no problems...

RC_Alan
Old 09-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi rbboy,

No need to change belts, just need to run the rear belt tensioner.

For 50/50 its about 1.8mm smaller fronts, we have been starting with 2mm smaller fronts.

Dario had a bar type rear roll bar, trying to get a stiffer rear roll bar.

I am using the K14115 & 6 side plates which are good, and the EZO bearings which are real nice

Agree with you on the rear hubs, we just need an insert so we can use the kit outside bearing, and normal whell axles etc....

Dont know of any plans for different pullies, but I cant ever imagine using them on any tracks over here (we would simply spin wheels, we dont have the traction !) but as rc_alan says, it does get there quicker, so even without a ratio change it would actually be an improvement.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think the existing pullies are not compatible with the ED system, you could maybe change the brake pulley, but I think you would then struggle with the rear belt, as the diff pulley is smaller........

But I cant see a reason why you couldnt use all the existing pullies, with the new clutch bells from the ED system, now that would be low mm/rev car !!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by muppet racing
Hi rbboy,

No need to change belts, just need to run the rear belt tensioner.

For 50/50 its about 1.8mm smaller fronts, we have been starting with 2mm smaller fronts.

Dario had a bar type rear roll bar, trying to get a stiffer rear roll bar.

I am using the K14115 & 6 side plates which are good, and the EZO bearings which are real nice

Agree with you on the rear hubs, we just need an insert so we can use the kit outside bearing, and normal whell axles etc....

Dont know of any plans for different pullies, but I cant ever imagine using them on any tracks over here (we would simply spin wheels, we dont have the traction !) but as rc_alan says, it does get there quicker, so even without a ratio change it would actually be an improvement.
So the ED already has overdrive?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by muppet racing
I think the existing pullies are not compatible with the ED system, you could maybe change the brake pulley, but I think you would then struggle with the rear belt, as the diff pulley is smaller........

But I cant see a reason why you couldnt use all the existing pullies, with the new clutch bells from the ED system, now that would be low mm/rev car !!
You may be right... I just plugged in the numbers on the gear ratio calculator to see what came up... I would try the ED system as is first and see how the new systems works out before I start swapping out pulley's... Great Job Muppet racing... I follow your posts over on 3hobby as well... I know every G4 owner prior and present was pulling for You, Dario and Teddy over at the worlds...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 09-21-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi guys I have a quick question , I need the centax clutch nut for the Mongoose centax, well I was wondering do you know if the r40 nut will fit on there or the mugen one?

I need it to fit on the SG shaft, be long enough and not too long, and then the nut that holds the spring needs to be able to screw on there.

anyone ever replace that nut with a r40 or mtx-3 (4) nut?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

an mtx3/4 nut will work

Nimo
the issue we have here is that we have usually 4 or five slow corners. with the previous setup phenix used we had to run 58 mm tires for qualifying and still got our ass kicked off the corner by a couple tenths. Times 4 or 5 it added up.

We ran mutiple tests at toledo our home track using 18/23 on the old setup and 58 mm tires. and 17/23 (our new bell) with 20 internals on 61 mm tires and the car was 8 full seconds faster in a five minute test. It was the difference between getting our buts kicked everywhere on the track at the nationals to out qualifying the field by 3 full seconds at the Great lakes Challenge. the last two races we ran 63 mm tires with 16/22 and 20 internals. It was game over.

I know that you can get close to the 8.90's with 18 internals and a 16 first gear.

Now we have traction and europe generally does not so if you gear deeper on us tracks you can plant the power down and the gain is significant. its the difference between going 20.1 per lap and 19.3 for us.

any old pulleys are not compatable with the ED transmission. The ED is a good system we have tested it. There will be times I am sure we will use it.

Last edited by Motorman; 09-21-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Tech Champion

If you mean the locknut that press the centax spring, then it should be MTX4 locknut.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Tech Regular

For a fairly new car, TM and Kfactory has lots of hop ups for the G4s that should have been in the kits now. The new tranny I think is a must to get the same punch off the line as Mugen and RRR. It's good that they continue to improve the car, butttttt it would cost almost as much as buying a new G4s to get the new "necessary upgrade". I wonder if they will package another kit with all the bells and whistles.....
If they do package a new upgraded G4s kit, they should call it G4$$$. hahaha

I'll keep mine stock for now.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

To be honest, I think it is an amazing thing that Team Magic keep bringing us updates to the current car so I don't have to sell my old outdated model to get the latest and greatest like with some other brands. I can choose what parts and when I upgrade and know that if I'm smart enough, each purchase can improve my lap time.

If you're still driving a mongoose, I would be getting the G4S upgrade set before getting the transmission upgrade.

Goes to show how good the suspension design is on the car that the parts are the same as the first G4!

I also think it's great that they have allowed the use of the current wheel hexes with the new hubs. It's like they are never forcing us into doing everything at once.

Given that I am actually winning finals now and feel like I am competitive, I couldn't be happier about being a Team Magic operator.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

All to many new bits... I only just finished putting the car together and it has only seen 5 minutes track time so far

Starting to look like the IT business when it is obselete before you walk out the door

All good... Keep up the work TM & KFactory.

Darren, Dario & Alex well done on your Worlds campaign, i enjoyed watching you all in action during the week....

Cheers
BB
Old 09-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

I have been driving the G4S since March/April time, and after spending 9 years with Kyosho I have to say that the G4S is a much cheaper car to run, also parts last more than a month without wear.

These new option parts may look pricey, but as the kit is great out of the box you don't have to upgrade it (like most other kits) but then these upgrades do appear to be ones that work and not just show items.

Just have to wait for the UK importer to realise these parts are available and import them (the 18T and 20T pulley options still not available here).
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

no i mean the nut hat holds the flywheel to the engine and the spring lock nut on
Old 09-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

NiMo I agree with you totally. The new items from K Factory are pricey. To be a top runner with the G4S do you need these after market items ... no!

Now the other side is this. Everyone of these items are functional. They are not pricey upgrades that just make you car look cooler ( although they do ) they really are functional items that just make the car better. What was that company that advertised on tv stating they don't make the product they just make the product better! Well that should be the slogan for K Factory and their parts!

I don't know who has put on the two new side plates and the new servo mount? I can tell you however, install these items and you never seen a car so tight and stiff as this. Is it necessary to have these three pieces to win... absolutely not, but do they serve a good purpose and be an upgrade the better drivers and us wanna be's....... yes... just that little more. Just like that new adustable ackerman servo. Do you need it to win... no, but it does give you that little extra tuning.

I really do enjoy representing K Factory products. My wife and I call these items the WOW items. We send them all over the world to racers and our emails back from them contain the word.... WOW!

Trust me I am not defending the prices!!! LOL Just the quality!

SamF
Old 09-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default G4S cheerleader

As a techie who appreciates egineering. I don't even care about being the fastest driver but I love the egineering that goes into this car. Thats mainly why I bought it. As soon as I saw it I wanted it. I knew nothing of it's performance potential. I have always loved Kfactory parts. This car was made for me. I almost dont care how much the upgrades options are. I have sent Sam many emails about the kool stuff that is available for this car. I know he is sick of me by now. The quality, fit and funtion is so flawless I am constantly amazed at the stuff that keeps coming out and available. I wouls not own any other car now.........................Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.