R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #2071
Tech Fanatic

From what I've read... The ED transmission by K-factory may be the single most best improvement for the G4S/G4 you can buy... The front roll center upgrade was a long time coming as well as the bell crank steering system now in the G4S but, the gearing issue has been going around and around for over 3 plus years... With this new upgrade... WOW!!! You just have to read the link and do the math... http://www.kfactoryracing.com/production.jsp?id=K14122

They used it at the Worlds and you all read what kind of performance Dario, Darren and Teddy had... Dario numbers were almost off the chart!!! I plugged in the numbers myself with the gear ratio calculator and this one upgrade for any G4S/G4 owner will see speed improvements across the board right off the bat!!! Even if you can't even drive... your times should improve anyway... That's what kind of upgrade this can be for you... Not sure of the cost, but you all should put in pre-orders with Motorman and Sam aka... G4S'er ASAP!!! As a matter a fact, I would order it along with the G4S kit if anyone is thinking of buying the G4S... With the right motor, your car will be the fastest thing on the track, both in acceleration, topend and power delivery will be seemless... You guys know I don't post here that much anymore and a few of you know I've bumped heads here over this issue... This fixes everything... Great work TM and K-factory. I'm always happy seeing improvement in this car... And the Evolution continues...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 09-21-2006 at 05:46 AM.
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #2072
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
you have to run Kfatory wheels with this dont you
For the new tranny no... For the quick release hubs, yes...

RC_Alan
Old 09-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #2073
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey Mr muppet (I still haven't worked out which muppet you look like yet!)

You have run on my track, do you think the ED trans will reduce lap times here?

Cheers,

Mike.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:58 AM   #2074
Tech Apprentice

Hi Mate,

You can choose which one, find me an avatar and i can use it !!!

I do think it would be an improvement, what ratio & tyre size do you run at the moment ?
muppet racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:02 AM   #2075
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_alan
For the new tranny no... For the quick release hubs, yes...

RC_Alan
yes thats what i meant thx and the tranny looks sweet
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 AM   #2076
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have emailed you your avatar!

I am currently trying the 7.30, 5.16 option but with the 18T brake pulley. The Orion engine seems to like pulling the RPM's. Best lap time seems to be when the tyre is around 59 - 60mm (jaco). The car is very consistent across the entire range of tyre size. Sometimes I just pull them out of the box and run them.

Cheers,

Mike.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #2077
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

I will have to admit you G4S'ers have some cool stuff coming.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #2078
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to rbboy Send a message via Yahoo to rbboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet racing
Hi,

We used the new K factory transmission set at the worlds, and I beleive Dario used it at both the Euro's and worlds.

To get a good comparison we matched the mm/rev on the new system, and its definately quicker for us, in theory as the belts & bearings are running slower so top end should improve (which it does) but sharpness also improves out of corners (the clutch bell & pinions are very light & very small, kit pinions & bell about 13g, new about 6g) I dont know all the theories involved, but on the track it was quicker for me. It also has a hole in for adjusting the clutch nut

The range of adjustment in mm/rev is also very good, and would cover most tracks. On a 60mm rear tyre 1st can range from 24.8 - 29.2 mm/rev, 2nd from 36.6 - 42 mm/rev.

If anyone wants to run 20T brake pullies, you can move the rear diff forward, about 0.5mm, by taking a little material out in front of the diff bearings and just fill the gap behind the bearing with a little epoxy resin. It doesnt need moving much, its just to get the rear belt at perfect tension. You can use a sanding drum on a dremel.

Hope this helps !
hey muppet! just wondering.. do we change our belts too with the ED tranny? also, i have tried using a 25T pulley on the front side and it seems to work well just needed to bring down the tensioner really low.. what is the tire difference with the new tranny? what hop-ups are you using on your car right now? also i saw a pic of dario balestri's G4S and seems like he had a different rear stabilizer, is that a prototype? i hope TM makes a Rear Hub Carrier wherein we can use normal tire instead of the quick release keep on rockin muppet!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #2079
Tech Adept

The answer to the question if you would need to use Team Magic tires on the quick release and the answer is yes. They will have as shown on the K Factory site, a complete line of shores available. Would be cool if this size wheel would be standardized as now with the regular wheel. I will carry the full line of tires... because ... I really wanted to stock a third line of tires yeah right! lol

It's all good!

SamF
G4S'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #2080
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Are there any plans to release option brake & side pulleys for the ED tranny? The system looks great but with its still too tall gearing its just not an option for most US parking lot tracks. The current setup using the 18T brake pulley and 18/52 23/47 ( 7.68 / 5.44) is ok but is still a bit tall for many tracks. If we could get lower gearing options for parkinglot tracks in say the 8.0/5.5 & 7.8/5.3 range the new transmission would be on my winter upgrade list.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #2081
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Are there any plans to release option brake & side pulleys for the ED tranny? The system looks great but with its still too tall gearing its just not an option for most US parking lot tracks. The current setup using the 18T brake pulley and 18/52 23/47 ( 7.68 / 5.44) is ok but is still a bit tall for many tracks. If we could get lower gearing options for parkinglot tracks in say the 8.0/5.5 & 7.8/5.3 range the new transmission would be on my winter upgrade list.

Mark
You could always use the current diff pulleys
But then you will need longer belts
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #2082
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Mark
I don't know of any car on the market today with the gearing you're requesting... That's way to short even for the shortest, tightest parking lot tracks... Unless you're running in a sand lot at the local park... Really... 8.0/5.5 is not possible in any car on the market today... If you're running on tracks that small and you really think you require gearing like that... Run and much taller first gear and lock out the 2nd... If that's what you need, you don't need 2nd gear anyway... .02

RC_Alan
Old 09-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #2083
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Actually the Kyosho and Mugen can both gear that low and at smaller tracks it is a huge advantage to be able to do so.

The reality is that a 5.15 FDR for 2nd gear is going to work well for torq motors on tracks in the 200-215ft range but with most US parking lot tracks in the 150-175ft range lower gearing is needed. Now for RPM motors like the Sirio STI or Orion gearing would be a serious problem for anything less than 225ft.

Either 14/19T clutchbell gearing or 20T brake w/ 26T side options would solve the problem. At the very least the 19T 2nd clutch gear is needed, the 7.65 1st would be workable for just about any track but the 5.15 2nd just wont cut it for parking lot racing.

Here in Region 11 we have only 2 race facilites over 175 long and neither of them races that often. Nearly all of the nitro racing in the area is on 150ft parkinglot tracks.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #2084
Tech Master

My track is only 155ft straight with a slow corner on to it, and it is the taller geared Serpent and G4 cars that have the advantage.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #2085
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Actually the Kyosho and Mugen can both gear that low and at smaller tracks it is a huge advantage to be able to do so.

The reality is that a 5.15 FDR for 2nd gear is going to work well for torq motors on tracks in the 200-215ft range but with most US parking lot tracks in the 150-175ft range lower gearing is needed. Now for RPM motors like the Sirio STI or Orion gearing would be a serious problem for anything less than 225ft.

Either 14/19T clutchbell gearing or 20T brake w/ 26T side options would solve the problem. At the very least the 19T 2nd clutch gear is needed, the 7.65 1st would be workable for just about any track but the 5.15 2nd just wont cut it for parking lot racing.

Here in Region 11 we have only 2 race facilites over 175 long and neither of them races that often. Nearly all of the nitro racing in the area is on 150ft parkinglot tracks.
I may be wrong, but I think if you gave the 5.15 2nd gear a shot with the new tranny, it just may work for you... 5.15 may seem tall for some tight parking lot tracks, but the new system is design to put you in top speed quicker and 2nd gear sooner without the stress other setups may cause on the motor... I think with the old setup you would have a problem with it, but the way the new tranny is setup and the pully's are geared... Your car can be both blazing quick and fast without having to trade off for one or the other... I wish TM/K-Factory had done this a few years ago... You lucky G4S/G4 drivers... Not sure of the final cost, but for the serious racer that wants to win... This is almost a must have... The car will spool up quicker and get to top speed sooner and be in it longer... I'll say this, on a High bite track this car with the new tranny/right setup could be a real monster in capable hands. .02

RC_Alan