R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-20-2003, 10:57 AM   #1471
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Got some work done

With the long weekend here I was able to get started building my Serpent. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to because of the usual yard work, car washing, and racing my electric TC. It shouldn't take too long to finish now

Here are some pics of my progress,

Front

Rear

Full view

What do you think?
rc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #1472
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default Re: Got some work done

Quote:
Originally posted by rc-racer
With the long weekend here I was able to get started building my Serpent. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to because of the usual yard work, car washing, and racing my electric TC. It shouldn't take too long to finish now

Nice !!!
Tips : You might want to set the sway bar to the softest on the front, it feels better.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #1473
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Pivot Balls Pics

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
You might want to try the Alu pivot ball and see if the balls helps. My only GUESS, though i could be wrong, that since you do not have the stock pivot balls trim shorter, you have quite a space between the arm and the steering knuckle (I saw that in mine if i don't trim it) that could easily cause it to pop off if u hit something, since the concave of that arm is too far to stop the knuckle. This is just my guess. Let us know.
I actually have not touched my car yet. Been busy and the fact is it is not popping off now. I'm actually kinda reluctant to touch it.

Anyway, even though I have not trimmed to shorten the stock steel pivot balls, I made sure that the spacing between the arm and the steering knuckle is set to the most minimum (without binding when the knuckles turn of course). I screw in the pivot balls deep into the arms to achieve this. The spacing gap is even closer than what I normally would have done to a 705 equipped with normal steering blocks. Else, I cannot achieve the 200 mm front side trackwidth.

Ummm, I hope to find time when I get back today.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:43 PM   #1474
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Got some work done

Quote:
Originally posted by rc-racer

Front

Rear

Full view

What do you think?
Woow, I must say those pics were very nicely done Are you a graphic designer / photographer by trade?

You must have put in a lot of effort by slowly building the car. I can tell by the pictures that you are a very meticulous sort of person. That is good. Keep us up to date with more of your 705 pics. It inspires us all After seeing those pics, I feel like taking out my Nikon digital cam and put it to some good shooting of my subject
Old 05-20-2003, 09:53 PM   #1475
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Tips : You might want to set the sway bar to the softest on the front, it feels better.
I will keep this in mind when I'm done the assembly process and move on to the set-up process

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Woow, I must say those pics were very nicely done Are you a graphic designer / photographer by trade?
Just an amateur, although I have done work for other (small) RC companies

Quote:
You must have put in a lot of effort by slowly building the car. I can tell by the pictures that you are a very meticulous sort of person. That is good. Keep us up to date with more of your 705 pics. It inspires us all After seeing those pics, I feel like taking out my Nikon digital cam and put it to some good shooting of my subject
First, I read this entire thread.
Second, I paid very close attention to your replies. (you are very knowledgeable).
Third, studied the pictures, studied the parts, took my time assembling. The instructions are the prettiest by far but suck in almost every other way. This kit is not for the 1st timer

I know from assembling my other cars, it pays to put the time and effort into the kit right from the start, you won't be sorry.

I'm glad you like the pics. I wasn't going to post them, I figured you guys should know what a 705 looks like I post them anyways.
You should grab your camera and take some pics of your 705, I know many of us would like to see it!
rc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:17 PM   #1476
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Anyone have a problem with their shock shafts breaking(near the threads)? I already broke 2 of them and I can't find a place that carries them. The first one I broke when I was tightening the plastic shock holder piece. Second one is in the rear when I accidentally dropped the car and it landed on that side.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:27 PM   #1477
Tech Initiate

Default OLD ONES

You can use the regular serpent impulse shafts. it wont be a perfect fit..but if thats your only option......well thats your only option. On the 705 shafts they are keyed at the top. The old impulse shafts are completly round at the top. you will still be able to adjust your piston holes easy.
lost man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:35 PM   #1478
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
Anyone have a problem with their shock shafts breaking(near the threads)? I already broke 2 of them and I can't find a place that carries them. The first one I broke when I was tightening the plastic shock holder piece. Second one is in the rear when I accidentally dropped the car and it landed on that side.
I may have been lucky. Nobody has bumped my rear end (knock on wood). How did you thread the ball cups to the shock shafts? You may have gripped the shock shaft with pliers at the end of the threaded point and that somehow has weaken. Or it could have been a bad batch.

If you're desperate, you could use the older shock shaft meant for the Impulse. Then you would have to use the old piston set which is even harder to assemble...
Old 05-20-2003, 10:41 PM   #1479
Tech Prophet

Default Re: OLD ONES

Quote:
Originally posted by lost man
You can use the regular serpent impulse shafts. it wont be a perfect fit..but if thats your only option......well thats your only option. On the 705 shafts they are keyed at the top. The old impulse shafts are completly round at the top. you will still be able to adjust your piston holes easy.
I have not tried using the old piston shafts with the new pistons. I actually still have spares for the old shafts meant for the Impulse which is still using the old type pistons. Are you sure they will work OK?

The old pistons need to be threaded to lock them onto the shafts which the new shafts do not have thread on them. The new shafts have a flat grounded spot for the new pistons to lock. The same principle as how the new pulleys lock on to the aluminum pulley adapters and secured by the C clip.

The old pistons do not have the notch for them to be locked onto the new shock shaft and hence I predict that the adjustment feature of the shocks would not be possible. Just a guess. Still OK if you already know your shock setting and just want a fix number of holes in the pistons.

Talking about shocks shafts and pistons, ever notice that Serpent is concentrating A LOT on the development of the shocks? Recent race articles / reports from Michael Salven seems to suggest that.

Last edited by InitialD; 05-20-2003 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:57 PM   #1480
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Thanks guys. I think Ashford Hobby has some Serpent parts. Ill call them tomorrow. As of now. I am using NTC3 shocks all around. Makes my car look "fruity" with all those colors.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:44 AM   #1481
Tech Rookie

Default hop up parts/ optional parts

hi...
I just bought serpent 705 kit and so excited. cannot wait to put it together. anyway, what optional parts or hop up parts would you guys recommend? and where would be a good place to get them on the internet? thanks in advance for the input.
jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:54 AM   #1482
Tech Regular

this kit has all the hop-ups in stock! u can race this BABY straight out of the box! im racing w/o any optionals or hop-ups but maybe u would like to get some softer springs, the yellow springs r kind of hard for my track here. but run the car in stock 1st & change as required
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:40 AM   #1483
Tech Prophet

Default Re: hop up parts/ optional parts

Quote:
Originally posted by jayjay
hi...
I just bought serpent 705 kit and so excited. cannot wait to put it together. anyway, what optional parts or hop up parts would you guys recommend? and where would be a good place to get them on the internet? thanks in advance for the input.
Like what taz mentioned, the 705 does not need any hop up to make it perform. Well, if you need, there are options which can make your car super durable. Take a look at the mytsn link below. Some are eye candy like the carbon graphite receiver mount and tank holder. Others are tuning / performance parts. I think you only need to replace them with these hardened dogbones or cups when the stock ones break.

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=7837
Old 05-21-2003, 09:37 AM   #1484
Tech Adept

Smile

Im back a again to to tell that my 705 is running nice and trouble free. Im very satisfied

btw this tread is like a "q&a" with InitialD. so much knowledge...
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:33 PM   #1485
Tech Initiate

Wink Re: Re: OLD ONES

[QUOTE]Originally posted by InitialD
[B]I have not tried using the old piston shafts with the new pistons. I actually still have spares for the old shafts meant for the Impulse which is still using the old type pistons. Are you sure they will work OK?

Yes they will work ...of course after you use the 705 piston on the impulse shaft it will no longer work with the 705 shaft. because like you said the new 705 shaft is keyed as well as its piston. Its very sadening to do this .but yes it does in fact work. It works just the same. I still get the "click" sound out of my shocks..I've had to do this to two of them. No leaks. Happy shocks. Come to think of it one could just get the serpent shaft (impulse) and simply dremel it and make that flat spot very easily..(If a person owns a 705 I would hope that the owned a dremel) Aint that right Niz.
lost man is offline   Reply With Quote