R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-21-2003, 02:00 PM   #1201
Tech Adept

I am loving the 705. It is an absolute pleasure to drive.

I race parking lot on a pretty tight track. The stock gearing is higher than the other cars, but it seems to make for smoother on-throttle attack. The only place where I have seem to have a slight disadvantage is the hairpin at the end of the straight. The cars with front diffs brake late and pick up a small amount of time. Over a half hour main it adds up.

I checked myTSN.com but couldn't find a part number for a front diff or solid axle. Is there such thing?
chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:25 PM   #1202
Tech Master

apex
i'm getting a sx12 3p-re race turbo ms version, its a good motor you dont need a 5port, tracks in our area is too small for that.
did you get your car yet?
dg8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 04:36 PM   #1203
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

I'm building my 705 right now, and I would just like to comment that when I saw the purple screws in the diagrams in the manual, I was very please, I thought it would give the car a very trick look! Well when I went to open the bag, to my surprise they were black . Well not that i've got it stuck in my head, does anyone know where I can purchase all of the chassis screws, but in purple?

Last edited by Accord; 04-21-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:15 PM   #1204
Tech Regular

Default Aluminum Hardware

Try this, they have just about everything aluminum and anodized , you can by 100's for next to nothing !!!!!

http://www.fastener-express.com/subcat.asp?0=218
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:43 PM   #1205
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by chachi
I am loving the 705. It is an absolute pleasure to drive.

I race parking lot on a pretty tight track. The stock gearing is higher than the other cars, but it seems to make for smoother on-throttle attack. The only place where I have seem to have a slight disadvantage is the hairpin at the end of the straight. The cars with front diffs brake late and pick up a small amount of time. Over a half hour main it adds up.

I checked myTSN.com but couldn't find a part number for a front diff or solid axle. Is there such thing?
Part number for the complete front gear diff set is 801370.

Part number for the front solid axle with 24T pulley is 801240.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:35 PM   #1206
Tech Adept

thanks InitialD

for a tight track, is a front diff or solid axle better?

does the impulse diff need to modified to fit the 705?
chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:45 PM   #1207
Tech Prophet

cachi, it depends on the setup of the car. Solid axle and front diff will provide 4WD brakes. So differences between them would depend on the turn in steering characteristics.

I believe you can make either car equipped with a front solid or a front diff turn in the same on a tight track. Play around with the shocks, front way bars and setup of the car to compensate. The performance of the gear diff is in the middle of the solid axle and the one way front diff when comparing steering performance off throttle. On throttle, the solid axle performs quite close to a one way front diff.

On a solid axle front, you would want more weight transfer to the front to counter some understeer off throttle. Softer shocks / oil / springs would benefit. Loosening the rear diff helps. More vertical caster angle of the front wheels also benefit the better turn in when you run the solid axle.

Beware that the aluminum part of the solid axle is a little soft and they strip easily. You need to get diff adapters (801388) or the optional harder pro ones (801393) to fit the solid axle in the 705. The front diff also needs these same diff adapters.

For the solid axle, you need to drill slight indentations on the aluminum shaft for the grub screw of the diff adapters to lock on. And yes, if I'm not mistaken, the grub screws are not provided when you get these diff adapters separately...

That's about all you need to do and get for the 705 when you use these.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:18 AM   #1208
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default dg8one

i just ordered the 705 today and should have it by the end of the week...i'll probably get the same 3 port that you're getting.

where are you ordering the SX12 3P RE Turbo MS (2105TMS)?

Last edited by Apex; 04-22-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:56 PM   #1209
Tech Master

apex
i'm get a 5 port now cause i'm getting much cheaper than the 3 port race i'll just change it to a 3 port its the same motor anyway

i just check (mytsn.com)i read julius is using shim under the front bulkhead i did that last summer the car feels easy to drive (impulse pro) give it a try you may like it
Old 04-22-2003, 04:00 PM   #1210
Tech Master

chachi
i tried that it still came off so i jb weld that sucker and solve the problem
Old 04-23-2003, 03:42 AM   #1211
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

What does everyone think of those kevlar brake pads sold by Ashford Hobbies? I accidentally got CA glue on my stock pads when I was assembling them, so I figured I might aswell go for the kevlar ones.

Last edited by Accord; 04-23-2003 at 04:14 AM.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:22 AM   #1212
Tech Prophet

Accord, are you using front one way with the 705? If you are, then you need not be concerned about what type of brake pads to use...

I mean I was using the same stock brake pad for over a year till I decided to change mine.

And yes, when using one way front diff, who needs breaks?

Anyway, I don't think it'll hurt if you go out to Ashford and get the Kevlar brake pads. Report to us how it performs.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:17 PM   #1213
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dg8one
apex

i just check (mytsn.com)i read julius is using shim under the front bulkhead i did that last summer the car feels easy to drive (impulse pro) give it a try you may like it
How thick of a shim, under what part of the bulkhead, front, rear, or the whole thing? What did you use for the shims?
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:48 PM   #1214
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyU
How thick of a shim, under what part of the bulkhead, front, rear, or the whole thing? What did you use for the shims?
Putting shims under the front bulkhead and just under the aluminum radio tray support to lift the whole radio plate and the front side bulhead by equal amounts.

Apparently the tank needs to be lowered by the same amount...

Watch out for Julius' article for details of this mod on mytsn...
Old 04-23-2003, 11:08 PM   #1215
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Putting shims under the front bulkhead and just under the aluminum radio tray support to lift the whole radio plate and the front side bulhead by equal amounts.

Apparently the tank needs to be lowered by the same amount...

Watch out for Julius' article for details of this mod on mytsn...
Can this be applied to Pro, if yes what is the effect?
apmk is offline   Reply With Quote