R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2003, 11:23 AM   #1111
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I have not bought any hop ups yet for the car... Just get a set of spurs and pinions. Get the 17T, 22T and the 47T pulleys if you need better acceleration. A set of red and maybe blue springs would also be good... And foams of different shores

What I have listed above are tuning aids. Just spend your money on those things and you should be able to tune your car to any track.
Spend more on Spare Parts and Tires!!! Buy lots of them.
You can get away from buying springs by changing the mounting positions on your shock tower. Lowering the position of hole will create softer setting kinda like putting softer spring, puting the hole higher then the stock position will create a "stiffer" effect, kinda putting harder spring.

I would recommend stick with the original gear ratio and Serpent recommended set-up, easy to drive, and learn how to handle the characteristic of the car on the track. Take your time learning, its Fun!!
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:45 AM   #1112
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by johan
Woohoo! My 705, NovaMega turbo race ms and tp05 arrived today! A beautiful sight!
Cool !!..
Assemble it quikly and start breaking the engine and run it. Don't forget the read every instruction on the manual!!

I guess we don't boast about Serpent is a better car to get like "others".

Last edited by nizee; 04-14-2003 at 01:54 PM.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #1113
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 110
Smile

nizee,


I will start building my 705 tomorrow and I will read the centax instructions twice

I understand what you mean... I considered "another" car aslo, but I went with the snake after some research.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:29 PM   #1114
Tech Master
 
J_Longbrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,234
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know the ratings in #'s of the Serpent springs?
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #1115
Company Representative
 
ammdrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 10,586
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

on tires i usually start with about a 62 mm tire but as traction comes up i go to 58mm.... the smaller tire is much faster.. and works better.. also life of the tires is the about the same.. you will almost never ever rip a chunk out of a small tire.. but a tall one will chunk easier.. but the small tire will easily live through a hour main... ona high bite track.. low bite will rewuire a taller tire to aid in the traction and a softer one.......

ride ht in the 3mm if you can get away with it...
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:30 PM   #1116
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by JBrake
Does anyone know the ratings in #'s of the Serpent springs?
SER 909414 Orange 1.4 mm (Softest)
SER 909415 White 1.5 mm
SER 909416 Yellow 1.6 mm (stock)
SER 909417 Red 1.7 mm
SER 909418 Blue 1.8 mm (Hardest)

Last edited by nizee; 04-14-2003 at 06:43 PM.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:41 PM   #1117
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
on tires i usually start with about a 62 mm tire but as traction comes up i go to 58mm.... the smaller tire is much faster.. and works better.. also life of the tires is the about the same.. you will almost never ever rip a chunk out of a small tire.. but a tall one will chunk easier.. but the small tire will easily live through a hour main... ona high bite track.. low bite will rewuire a taller tire to aid in the traction and a softer one.......

ride ht in the 3mm if you can get away with it...
Thanks for the input ammdrew. I've also start with 62mm both front and rear. If i don't true them down, i usually get chunk easily, even if i don't hit no wall. I've also notice once it get to the right/ideal diameter, the tires seem to wear longer.

But i don't really quite understand when you said that smaller tires are faster. Are you refering as the tires becomes smaller, it becomes light, hence better acceleration compare to tall tires? Apparently, base on calculation/logical, it seem that taller tires are faster.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:52 PM   #1118
Tech Master
 
J_Longbrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,234
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
SER 909414 Orange 1.4 mm (Softest)
SER 909415 White 1.5 mm
SER 909416 Yellow 1.6 mm (stock)
SER 909417 Red 1.7 mm
SER 909418 Blue 1.8 mm (Hardest)
Sorry should have said in lbs.
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:53 PM   #1119
Company Representative
 
ammdrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 10,586
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

the fastest cars are always running small tire.. if you want to run with the big boys.. look at there tires.. they are never big.. it is more of the lower profile tire...

just like real cars.. use the 40 series tire instead of the 60 series
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:04 PM   #1120
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
the fastest cars are always running small tire.. if you want to run with the big boys.. look at there tires.. they are never big.. it is more of the lower profile tire...

just like real cars.. use the 40 series tire instead of the 60 series
Make sense....thanks.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:20 PM   #1121
Company Representative
 
ammdrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 10,586
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

another thing to always keep in line is it is not a drag race.. it is a turning race.. if you can not flow the corner faster you will be slower even with twice the horsepower... so that is were the smaller tires come in also...
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:49 PM   #1122
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 358
Send a message via ICQ to nizee
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
another thing to always keep in line is it is not a drag race.. it is a turning race.. if you can not flow the corner faster you will be slower even with twice the horsepower... so that is were the smaller tires come in also...
"Cornering line", that is most definite of winning. Smaller tire do help obviously. Yupe, Yupe!
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:15 PM   #1123
Tech Initiate
 
khyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 31
Default

One question regarding this tyre size, last week I tried running bigger tyre in the rear but it did not work the rear seems went faster than front and in result the whole car run in a very jerky manner. Should I always run with the same tyre diameter everytime or there is a formula to calculate the tyre diameter difference between front and rear . I did that because I thought after a few lap the rear will wear faster than the front and giving me the same diameter at the end.....
khyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #1124
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
Thanks for the input ammdrew. I've also start with 62mm both front and rear. If i don't true them down, i usually get chunk easily, even if i don't hit no wall. I've also notice once it get to the right/ideal diameter, the tires seem to wear longer.

But i don't really quite understand when you said that smaller tires are faster. Are you refering as the tires becomes smaller, it becomes light, hence better acceleration compare to tall tires? Apparently, base on calculation/logical, it seem that taller tires are faster.
Larger diameter tires provide higher top speed but NOT acceleration. I think what Andrew reffered to smaller tires as being faster is you get better acceleration.

Well, I also notice that when I use UFRA or Ellegi type tires, they chunk even when you do not hit the wall and boards... Try Jaco Nitro Shoes. So far, I have been very pleased No chunking even when you brush against the sideboards. Low wear rate and the rims are hard and they do not warp easily.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #1125
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
My point being, try to use the above set-up for 1 whole day of racing, 3 Qualifying heat, 1 main and practices time before every heat and main (club racing scenario in the US), how many front tires you have to use? It is not really worth the price for a small increment in performance (if any). Well, unless you are a sponsor paid driver, unlike us

-2 on the front? You are transfering to much weight on the rear on trottle, hench more traction on the rear. I tot you guys running small track back there and need more steering? I doubt that helps.
I find that the front rarely wears out any faster. I also find that I can use 2 sets of rear tires with 1 set of front tires...

Using Jaco Nitro Shoes, I find that the 40 shore front tires wears even better at only 0.5 mm after running 6 qualifiers (5 minute each).

Well, as what Michael Salven mentioned, weight transfer will happen on throttle regardless of what front droop settings you put. By going with -2, I get more on throttle steering because the front wheels will still stick on the track on power.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 710 Ron C. Nitro On-Road 23347 03-16-2010 02:47 PM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Serpent 835 JFCJ R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 02-20-2005 09:29 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:41 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net