R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-14-2003, 11:23 AM   #1111
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I have not bought any hop ups yet for the car... Just get a set of spurs and pinions. Get the 17T, 22T and the 47T pulleys if you need better acceleration. A set of red and maybe blue springs would also be good... And foams of different shores

What I have listed above are tuning aids. Just spend your money on those things and you should be able to tune your car to any track.
Spend more on Spare Parts and Tires!!! Buy lots of them.
You can get away from buying springs by changing the mounting positions on your shock tower. Lowering the position of hole will create softer setting kinda like putting softer spring, puting the hole higher then the stock position will create a "stiffer" effect, kinda putting harder spring.

I would recommend stick with the original gear ratio and Serpent recommended set-up, easy to drive, and learn how to handle the characteristic of the car on the track. Take your time learning, its Fun!!
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:45 AM   #1112
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by johan
Woohoo! My 705, NovaMega turbo race ms and tp05 arrived today! A beautiful sight!
Cool !!..
Assemble it quikly and start breaking the engine and run it. Don't forget the read every instruction on the manual!!

I guess we don't boast about Serpent is a better car to get like "others".

Last edited by nizee; 04-14-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #1113
Tech Adept

Smile

nizee,

I will start building my 705 tomorrow and I will read the centax instructions twice

I understand what you mean... I considered "another" car aslo, but I went with the snake after some research.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:29 PM   #1114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Does anyone know the ratings in #'s of the Serpent springs?
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #1115
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

on tires i usually start with about a 62 mm tire but as traction comes up i go to 58mm.... the smaller tire is much faster.. and works better.. also life of the tires is the about the same.. you will almost never ever rip a chunk out of a small tire.. but a tall one will chunk easier.. but the small tire will easily live through a hour main... ona high bite track.. low bite will rewuire a taller tire to aid in the traction and a softer one.......

ride ht in the 3mm if you can get away with it...
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:30 PM   #1116
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JBrake
Does anyone know the ratings in #'s of the Serpent springs?
SER 909414 Orange 1.4 mm (Softest)
SER 909415 White 1.5 mm
SER 909416 Yellow 1.6 mm (stock)
SER 909417 Red 1.7 mm
SER 909418 Blue 1.8 mm (Hardest)

Last edited by nizee; 04-14-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:41 PM   #1117
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
on tires i usually start with about a 62 mm tire but as traction comes up i go to 58mm.... the smaller tire is much faster.. and works better.. also life of the tires is the about the same.. you will almost never ever rip a chunk out of a small tire.. but a tall one will chunk easier.. but the small tire will easily live through a hour main... ona high bite track.. low bite will rewuire a taller tire to aid in the traction and a softer one.......

ride ht in the 3mm if you can get away with it...
Thanks for the input ammdrew. I've also start with 62mm both front and rear. If i don't true them down, i usually get chunk easily, even if i don't hit no wall. I've also notice once it get to the right/ideal diameter, the tires seem to wear longer.

But i don't really quite understand when you said that smaller tires are faster. Are you refering as the tires becomes smaller, it becomes light, hence better acceleration compare to tall tires? Apparently, base on calculation/logical, it seem that taller tires are faster.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:52 PM   #1118
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee
SER 909414 Orange 1.4 mm (Softest)
SER 909415 White 1.5 mm
SER 909416 Yellow 1.6 mm (stock)
SER 909417 Red 1.7 mm
SER 909418 Blue 1.8 mm (Hardest)
Sorry should have said in lbs.
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:53 PM   #1119
Company Representative

the fastest cars are always running small tire.. if you want to run with the big boys.. look at there tires.. they are never big.. it is more of the lower profile tire...

just like real cars.. use the 40 series tire instead of the 60 series
Old 04-14-2003, 07:04 PM   #1120
Tech Regular

Quote:
the fastest cars are always running small tire.. if you want to run with the big boys.. look at there tires.. they are never big.. it is more of the lower profile tire...

just like real cars.. use the 40 series tire instead of the 60 series
Make sense....thanks.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:20 PM   #1121
Company Representative

another thing to always keep in line is it is not a drag race.. it is a turning race.. if you can not flow the corner faster you will be slower even with twice the horsepower... so that is were the smaller tires come in also...
Old 04-14-2003, 07:49 PM   #1122
Tech Regular

Quote:
another thing to always keep in line is it is not a drag race.. it is a turning race.. if you can not flow the corner faster you will be slower even with twice the horsepower... so that is were the smaller tires come in also...
"Cornering line", that is most definite of winning. Smaller tire do help obviously. Yupe, Yupe!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:15 PM   #1123
Tech Initiate

One question regarding this tyre size, last week I tried running bigger tyre in the rear but it did not work the rear seems went faster than front and in result the whole car run in a very jerky manner. Should I always run with the same tyre diameter everytime or there is a formula to calculate the tyre diameter difference between front and rear . I did that because I thought after a few lap the rear will wear faster than the front and giving me the same diameter at the end.....
khyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #1124
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Thanks for the input ammdrew. I've also start with 62mm both front and rear. If i don't true them down, i usually get chunk easily, even if i don't hit no wall. I've also notice once it get to the right/ideal diameter, the tires seem to wear longer.

But i don't really quite understand when you said that smaller tires are faster. Are you refering as the tires becomes smaller, it becomes light, hence better acceleration compare to tall tires? Apparently, base on calculation/logical, it seem that taller tires are faster.
Larger diameter tires provide higher top speed but NOT acceleration. I think what Andrew reffered to smaller tires as being faster is you get better acceleration.

Well, I also notice that when I use UFRA or Ellegi type tires, they chunk even when you do not hit the wall and boards... Try Jaco Nitro Shoes. So far, I have been very pleased No chunking even when you brush against the sideboards. Low wear rate and the rims are hard and they do not warp easily.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #1125
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Quote:
My point being, try to use the above set-up for 1 whole day of racing, 3 Qualifying heat, 1 main and practices time before every heat and main (club racing scenario in the US), how many front tires you have to use? It is not really worth the price for a small increment in performance (if any). Well, unless you are a sponsor paid driver, unlike us

-2 on the front? You are transfering to much weight on the rear on trottle, hench more traction on the rear. I tot you guys running small track back there and need more steering? I doubt that helps.
I find that the front rarely wears out any faster. I also find that I can use 2 sets of rear tires with 1 set of front tires...

Using Jaco Nitro Shoes, I find that the 40 shore front tires wears even better at only 0.5 mm after running 6 qualifiers (5 minute each).

Well, as what Michael Salven mentioned, weight transfer will happen on throttle regardless of what front droop settings you put. By going with -2, I get more on throttle steering because the front wheels will still stick on the track on power.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote