Serpent 705

Old 04-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Is there another pipe/header combination you would recommend?

RDlogic pipes are a good bang for the buck!!

My 2. cents
Old 04-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Impluse Pro clutch spring problem

Originally posted by khyber
I always have my clutch spring on my Impulse Pro broken within few running (4 times at most). I have changed the clutch shoe, since I thought it maybe the problem, but the problem persist. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
I'm a die hard Centax clutch proponent... It is expensive but the performance and the consistancy you get from these clutches is worth it. I have not changed a single wearing part on my Centax I clutch since I bought it almost a year ago. Of course you need to install it properly (like the thrust bearing) and it will do no wrong. Fixing a Centax clutch on your car will breath a new life to what performance you can get out of your engine.

Sorry if my post did not provide a solution to your problem...
Old 04-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by rc-racer
Is there another pipe/header combination you would recommend?
The NovaMega 2690 is a nice inline pipe. Team Serpent uses them a lot. The TP05 pipe (2185 EFRA Legal and 2186 Outlaw) Inline pipes are also nice...

But like what Punisher mentioned, the RD Logics inline pipe is bang for the buck. The feedbacks have been good on this one. Use the .15 pipe instead of the one meant for .12 engines...
Old 04-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Angry Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Try the Mugen springs and also make sure you have them in the grove of the flywheel nut!!
Yes ,of course, if the spring are not inserted in the groove it will loose instead of breaks. However this case is the spring breaks when the other end is still inserted correctly in the groove....????
Old 04-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Yes ,of course, if the spring are not inserted in the groove it will loose instead of breaks. However this case is the spring breaks when the other end is still inserted correctly in the groove....????
Pls give more details on how you assemble your centax clutch. Did you put extra washer then needed? How many mm away? What type of clutch shoe? Any dented plate?...etc...etc...etc...etc..
Old 04-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Ive not decided yet witch servo to run as steering servo in my 705. Digital is a priority. Im currently using hitec lynx3d and dcx rx with hitec-525mgs in my ts4n-pro.

With this in mind, and the the fact i dont want do manhandle the car then installing them, what are your recommendations?
Old 04-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by johan
Ive not decided yet witch servo to run as steering servo in my 705. Digital is a priority. Im currently using hitec lynx3d and dcx rx with hitec-525mgs in my ts4n-pro.

With this in mind, and the the fact i dont want do manhandle the car then installing them, what are your recommendations?
Without a doubt it would have to be the KO Fet digital 2143 servos. They are a bit more expensive but they are a lot more sturdier built than the Futaba servos (especially the center pin). I have only ever had 6 servos in 16yrs. The first 2 where Futaba top range (£90 in 1989). These broke and stripped gears far too easily. Changed to KO in 1990 and they have been running in my cars until last year. Had to finally change after stripping the gears in a hard crash. Brilliant servos and worth every penny.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Re: Re: Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Originally posted by nizee
Pls give more details on how you assemble your centax clutch. Did you put extra washer then needed? How many mm away? What type of clutch shoe? Any dented plate?...etc...etc...etc...etc..

Nizee,
I beleave he is talking about the old 2 shoe clutch not the centax.

khyber,
You should try to get a centax clutch on your Impules!
InitialD sum it up nicely..." It is expensive but the performance and the consistancy you get from these clutches is worth it."
Old 04-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Nizee,

khyber,
InitialD sum it up nicely..." It is expensive but the performance and the consistancy you get from these clutches is worth it."
Ohhh....ic..
Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by modellor
Without a doubt it would have to be the KO Fet digital 2143 servos. They are a bit more expensive but they are a lot more sturdier built than the Futaba servos (especially the center pin). I have only ever had 6 servos in 16yrs. The first 2 where Futaba top range (£90 in 1989). These broke and stripped gears far too easily. Changed to KO in 1990 and they have been running in my cars until last year. Had to finally change after stripping the gears in a hard crash. Brilliant servos and worth every penny.
I agree with modellor on this one... The 2143 servos are one of the fastest out there and prefered by most drivers.

The old Futaba servos with plastic gears strip easily but the newer ones seem to hold well (touch wood). The 9450 and 9451 digital servos are excellent but I cannot say for the lower analog range i.e. 9402.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

But like what Punisher mentioned, the RD Logics inline pipe is bang for the buck. The feedbacks have been good on this one. Use the .15 pipe instead of the one meant for .12 engines...
What is the benefit of using the .15 pipe over the .12 pipe?
Old 04-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy Re: Re: Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Originally posted by nizee
Dude , It is a standard Pro clutch ........ with shoe and spring
Old 04-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Re: Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Nizee,

khyber,
Centax Clutch ? ..... hmmmmm but we run our car in a small and technical track here. The gearing for centax seems to high and the acceleration seems slow and no power coming out of the corner. That is why I use combination of 12/15 and 50/47 gearing with standard clutch. Could that be the reason I broke my spring? I don't think I broke my spring that often when I use 13/16 and 50/47 gearing before
Old 04-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by rc-racer
What is the benefit of using the .15 pipe over the .12 pipe?
I would not know the specifics but I believe it has something to do with the shape which contributes to an overall better engine powerband...

Maybe you can ask Ron (jwf-ronni) why he prefers the .15 pipe over the .12 one as he has used the .15 RDLogics pipe in his Yokomo...

BTW, the 2690 NovaMega inline pipe used by Team Serpent is a .15 pipe too
Old 04-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Broken Pro Clutch Spring

Centax Clutch ? ..... hmmmmm but we run our car in a small and technical track here. The gearing for centax seems to high and the acceleration seems slow and no power coming out of the corner. That is why I use combination of 12/15 and 50/47 gearing with standard clutch. Could that be the reason I broke my spring? I don't think I broke my spring that often when I use 13/16 and 50/47 gearing before
It's probably slipping too much at a higher engine RPM when using 12T/15T.

Ummm, I'd like to know how other guys at your small technical track are running 705s equipped with Centax clutches...

There are a few ways of getting lower ratios in the Centax clutch. Please refer to some of my earlier post. One of them is to get hold of the 13T/16T fixed pinion old style Centax clutchbell.

There is also a post of mine somewhere which states how to convert to a higher internal gearing ratio (i.e. from 2 to 2.14) by using the 22T brake pulley, 47T diff pulley and 17T side pulley. I believe almost all the 705s running there in small tracks are using this... You will also need to mod your 2 speed shaft to take the 17T side pulley and the aluminum pulley adapter... The 22T brake pulley is also mounted differently. You need a pulley adapter for that too...

You will have problems converting your 46T diff pulley to 47T if you're using the standard Impulse PRO rear gear diffs. There is no 47T part for that... If you want the 47T, you need to get at least the ball diff (as in the 705) or the FPS diff.

Alternatively, if you want a lower ratio (2.27), I have also mentioned earlier before the things you need to get and do to achieve it. It will make your 15T/18T Centax pinions with 50T/46T spurs final drive ratios like as if you were running 13T/16T pinions with 50T/46T spurs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.