R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-03-2003, 07:16 PM   #976
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by supra528
ok, im not sure about this because i dont have one, but im gettin one on the easter weekend, but the reason why the back is sliding out is because of the one way diff in the front.... i dont know why it does this but i guess you just have to get used to it or get a regular diff
Yes, partly true that most cars when installed with a one way front diff will exhibit that kind of problem... But all that has got to do with the car setup
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #977
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
The MTX3 was sent back to the distributor without even seeing a track. It didnt even get the engine in it. But I did find out why Mugens are so hard to pass The slop in the rear pivotballs was so bad they must extend out to 210mm in the corners to stop other cars get past
That's a good one Didn't know you built an MTX-3...

From the pcitures, you actually look young... If you have started 14 years ago, at what age did you start?

Yeap, the Serpents have excellent build quality. You just need the right tools to build it.

As for the slight binding in the pivot arms, what I normally do is to take a dremmel with a 3 mm drill bit and carefully ream out the holes in the arm... The pivot pins are 3mm diameter and the holes in the arms are suppose to be 3mm. Sometimes, some extra plastic flashes in the holes bind the movement of the pivot pin when installed. After that the arms are really bind free
Old 04-03-2003, 07:48 PM   #978
Tech Regular

ok, well thx for the info..... if i need any help with mine ill just ask u guys.... ahhhh.... i cant wait ot get it!!!!!! i want it now!!!! lol
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:51 PM   #979
Tech Prophet

Quote:
ok, i gotta a question..... wat do u guys think is better.... the 705 or mtx-3???? i really need to know soon.......like if they had the same engine, pipe, and radio system, which is better???
My personal opinion is that all cars are equal. Can't remember how many times I have mentioned this already... All cars have their own issues, likewise the 705 included but nothing that is beyond help...

As for parts, depending on where you come from, the Mugen parts may be cheaper than Serpents. Parts availability should also be a question when you finally decide on either kit.

The only thing that separates the 705 with the other cars is that unlike other cars, you do not need anything to make the car race worthy. Out of the box, there are no issues with it. Like what is mentioned, build quality is excellent.

However, I will reveal to you that if you're running on a tight small track, the MTX-3 will be very nippy with the out of the box gearing... With the 705, you need to change the internal ratio with some pulleys to get the same kind of acceleration as the MTX-3 but that's about it... But if you run on large tracks, then the 705 cars will definitely have the advantage. They have one of the tallest gearings which is in the same regions as the GT4 and the NTC3. They do not run out of breath at the end of a straight easily. So the 705 pretty much covers quite a big gamut of types of tracks with the options that you can have.

The best part about the 705 (and Serpent in general) is the wealth of information about the car and setups that you can get from the forums and the website. Factory drivers sometimes write articles and sometimes reply to your questions you post on the mytsn forum which is cool...

Check out this thread also in the earlier pages... There are many tips on the dos and don'ts when building your 705. Good luck
Old 04-03-2003, 08:46 PM   #980
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Thumbs up

Very well said InitialD!!

PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 05:16 AM   #981
Tech Regular

thx alot..... see at my lhs (in canada) everythin is already over priced but the serpents and mugen kits are the exact same price so im guessing that the parts are going ot be relitively the same price too...... well thanks for the info....ill chec k the earlier pages
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 05:57 AM   #982
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks again
Diff front & rear. Measured the shocks and rechecked droop. No tweak in chassis (new). Will re-assemble and run again this AM on test track.
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:05 AM   #983
it
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to it
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear Ratio / Setup Sheet

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
What you have mentioned above and previously is the width of the tires i.e. 26 mm in the front and 35 mm for the rear tires...

What I am asking is the diameter of the tires... Assuming you do not true your tires and play it out brand new from the box (approx 65 to 66 mm diameter out of the box), your car is automatically set up for permanent front overdrive with the pulleys you're using...

Not that this is a bad thing but as what you have mentioned, sometimes some setups work for some people because it so happens suit the way one drives the car... In this case, you seem to be quite comfortable with yours...
Yes, ur right I do not true my tires. I let the road true my tires for me.

Unless if I am in a big race. Off course, I might to reset my car and true my tires. If just Local racing I will just let the track do the rest of the truing.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:33 AM   #984
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well guys, I am now a 705 owner! It just came yesterday. So far I am impressed.
Anyhow, I am wondering if you guys know of any good on-line shops that stock Serpent parts/acessories.
rc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:58 AM   #985
it
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to it

Quote:
Originally posted by rc-racer
Well guys, I am now a 705 owner! It just came yesterday. So far I am impressed.
Anyhow, I am wondering if you guys know of any good on-line shops that stock Serpent parts/acessories.

Fast and quick

www.Gasrccar.com Cool guy Lee muse no tax just shipping.

Bruckner.com there ok

www.Ashfordhobby.com Fast but little bit pricey.

Hope this helps
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #986
Tech Master

Quote:
Well guys, I am now a 705 owner! It just came yesterday. So far I am impressed. Anyhow, I am wondering if you guys know of any good on-line shops that stock Serpent parts/acessories.
HEHEHEHE.....You see the qualty in Serpent, huh?

Here are some on-line shops that carry Serpent parts.....
Ashford hobby
Bruckners Hobby
Kustom R/C
Old 04-04-2003, 10:08 AM   #987
Tech Master

Quote:
thx alot..... see at my lhs (in canada) everythin is already over priced but the serpents and mugen kits are the exact same price so im guessing that the parts are going ot be relitively the same price too...... well thanks for the info....ill chec k the earlier pages
Well, Serpent parts only come in one part in a pakage (arms, steering blocks, up-rights,ect.). Mugen parts comes two (left & right hand side) in a pakage for about the same price. So, i guess that means you won't have alot of spare left hand parts in tool boxs!!

Old 04-04-2003, 01:45 PM   #988
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
That's a good one Didn't know you built an MTX-3...

From the pcitures, you actually look young... If you have started 14 years ago, at what age did you start?
Built one for another guy but the build quality was crap to say the least. Even an HPI Racer 2 goes together better

I started racing when I was 10 and this is my 16th year in the hobby. Also been flying airplanes for the same length of time. Raced Serpent for the first 2 years before switching to BMT.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:32 PM   #989
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
I started racing when I was 10 and this is my 16th year in the hobby. Also been flying airplanes for the same length of time. Raced Serpent for the first 2 years before switching to BMT.
Woow, here I am struggling it out for almost a good full year... I guess even before reaching the age of 30, you pretty much have seen everything there is to see in the RC business...
Old 04-04-2003, 04:37 PM   #990
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER
HEHEHEHE.....You see the qualty in Serpent, huh?

Here are some on-line shops that carry Serpent parts.....
Ashford hobby
Bruckners Hobby
Kustom R/C
Another one to add if you need anything that is Serpent is www.rccarinternational.com. They are based in Holland... The land of the GREAT SNAKE Shipping is pretty reliable and cheap. Expect about one to two weeks for shipping.