R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #961
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks again for the help.
Now it's back to the shop for some painting, I got 10 bodies to do by Sunday.
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:16 PM   #962
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by coastaltony
Now it's back to the shop for some painting, I got 10 bodies to do by Sunday.
Woow, 10 bodies? Mass production somebody else? Any pics of your painting works?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:33 PM   #963
Tech Elite

I don't have a digi-cam
If I post a pic, it looks like 16x9 TV.
I will send a few via email tomorrow.
I do about 25 a month, mostly sell them to the racers at the track for $25.00 to $30.00 (body included)
Old 04-02-2003, 10:43 PM   #964
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool

Yes!
Love to see some good paint jobs!!!

InitialD,
How many teeth are on the #36090 belt??
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:59 AM   #965
Tech Prophet

Which belt is this?

Anyway, in case for those who didn't know and for those still wondering what are the contents of the Upgrade set from Impulse PRO to 705 contains, here is a snippet from rccarinternational's website;

"The conversion set contains all parts that are different from the normal Impulse, except for the 2 speed and the centax clutch.

Among others the kit contains: Chassis, fuel tank, Carbon radio tray, battery holder, alloy rear radio tray mount, carbon stiffener between radiotray mount and rear bulkhead, rear bulkhead parts, alloy motor mounts, carbon belt tentioner set incl. ball bearings, anti roll bar rear, receiver mount, servo saver, screws and all other fitting parts necessary, setup sheet, instruction manual etc"

The 801182 update kit is EURO 251.26 excluding tax BTW
Old 04-03-2003, 08:02 AM   #966
it
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to it
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear Ratio / Setup Sheet

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Ummm, I assume you use the same front and rear tire diameter?

If you stick with the same side pulley (18T) with the 22T brake pulley and 47T diff pulley, you'll get a permanent front overdrive (1.068) i.e. front tires cover a larger tire rollout than the rear making the front side of the car pull the rear.

To make the car have an overdrive of 1:1 again, you need to run a 4 mm split i.e. rear tires bigger than front tires by 4 mm. A 17T side pulley solves the overdrive issue when using same diameter front and rear tires.

It may be the reason why you are able to drive the car with a rear solid axle and still be able to control the rear of the car off the corners...

No!

AS I mentioned earlier in my set up, I use 26 and 35 w/ both 40 shore. Honestly, there is no such thing as "Perfect SET UP." Every drivers are different in their own driving capabilities and satisfaction on their cars. Trying a lot of things and doing some logical experiment can end up a satisfying performance in ur car, but still not perfect. Once u found a good feeling set up, write that down in ur files and make sure u get the right temp and track.

AS mentioned earlier about 705 s rumor. Same thing in this situation. To see it to belive it. U have to try it first before u can make a comment. I did this experiment and it worked great. Try it u might like it. However, assuming w/o facts is the as same rumors. U cannot criticize if u have not done it.

Honestly, the performance of the car was really great. I felt like the car had the same acceleration w/ my tc3. I like my serpent better becuase its more challenging to drive. When it comes to performance NTC3, 705, MTX3, V one rr are all the same.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 10:10 AM   #967
Tech Elite

OK, first thing, I did not build this car, I traded a bunch of HPI NRS4 stuff for it, after my VoneR got lifted. So please be patient.
I just had it out, and during braking or slowing down going into a turn, the back wants to slide out. (It is on my street-track, dusty, un-prepaired)
I just pulled the back shocks and checked them. One has oil, the other don't. I have 30, 40, 45, 60 & 70
Any tips on front & rear oils?
Also whats the deal with the 2, 3 & 5 holes inside the shock body?
I only have yellow Serpent springs
Old 04-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #968
Tech Elite

OK, I'm getting closer
I took all the shocks off, and discovered that the rear shocks were set at 4&3 holes, the fronts 1 hole, and changed them both to 2 holes with 30 weight oil.
Will have to wait till AM to put it back out on the track.
Got 5 of the bodies prepped for paint.
I was up watching CNN and masking bodies till 3:00AM
Old 04-03-2003, 05:09 PM   #969
Tech Regular

ok, im not sure about this because i dont have one, but im gettin one on the easter weekend, but the reason why the back is sliding out is because of the one way diff in the front.... i dont know why it does this but i guess you just have to get used to it or get a regular diff
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #970
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

no no no no............ check tweak.. then check your droop screws.. then if those are all perfect, try taking out some rear droop... check mytsn and try one of the setups from one of the big shows over the past year... alll pro setups work the same on the 705...
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:50 PM   #971
Tech Regular

ok, i gotta a question..... wat do u guys think is better.... the 705 or mtx-3???? i really need to know soon.......like if they had the same engine, pipe, and radio system, which is better???
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #972
Tech Master

Definately the 705. I have just finished building one and I built a MTX3 a few weeks ago and there is no comparison.

The MTX3 was sent back to the distributor without even seeing a track. It didnt even get the engine in it. But I did find out why Mugens are so hard to pass The slop in the rear pivotballs was so bad they must extend out to 210mm in the corners to stop other cars get past

As for the 705. This car is gonna rock. I couldnt find any slop (everything is nice and tight and will require a few runs to free up) and the build quality was perfect. Serpent have really came a long way in 14yrs.

Aggghhh, 14yrs since I last drive a Serpent. Any they call Frank Calandra Snr the 'Flying Fossil'.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:02 PM   #973
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

on the track cars are equall.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #974
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by coastaltony
OK, I'm getting closer
I took all the shocks off, and discovered that the rear shocks were set at 4&3 holes, the fronts 1 hole, and changed them both to 2 holes with 30 weight oil.
Will have to wait till AM to put it back out on the track.
Got 5 of the bodies prepped for paint.
I was up watching CNN and masking bodies till 3:00AM
I'm told (not so sure about this) that the difference in the number of holes makes for the difference in oil viscosity. I heard that one hole difference is equivalent to a 5W difference...

Anyway, 30W is a good starting oil viscosity to use. Yellow springs should do fine for the moment. Make sure the shocks come with the same length left and right. Are you running one way front diff or the gear diff in the front? If you're running one way, check out the tips posted here;

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=15594

Anyway, whichever hole you set, make the left and right shocks have equal holes. Do like what Andrew mentioned. Check and see the setups of the Impulse PRO and 705 at mytsn and try it out.

Also like what Andrew mentioned, make sure the droop settings are equal and tweak is eliminated. I have somewhat posted here and somewhere else in the other threads some methods of checking droop and tweak with the tweakstation. This will make sure that your car is balanced left and right.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:14 PM   #975
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear Ratio / Setup Sheet

Quote:
Originally posted by it
No!

AS I mentioned earlier in my set up, I use 26 and 35 w/ both 40 shore.
What you have mentioned above and previously is the width of the tires i.e. 26 mm in the front and 35 mm for the rear tires...

What I am asking is the diameter of the tires... Assuming you do not true your tires and play it out brand new from the box (approx 65 to 66 mm diameter out of the box), your car is automatically set up for permanent front overdrive with the pulleys you're using...

Not that this is a bad thing but as what you have mentioned, sometimes some setups work for some people because it so happens suit the way one drives the car... In this case, you seem to be quite comfortable with yours...