R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-26-2003, 12:10 PM   #436
Tech Prophet

Default Throttle / Brake Servo - Brake

Throttle / Brake servo when brakes are applied.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle_brake.jpg (90.5 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by InitialD; 02-26-2003 at 12:21 PM.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:27 PM   #437
Tech Prophet

Default Rear Belt

While I'm at it, here's a pic of a thicker rear belt I was talking about. This should solve the alignment problem. You'll see that the belt will not slip off the 46T diff pulley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wide_rear_belt.jpg (88.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 02-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #438
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Hey InitialD,
What rear belt is that one in the pic?
It dosnt look like a Serpent #6361 belt. Is that one tighter then stock? Or is just wider for more coverage on the pulley?
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 01:50 PM   #439
Tech Rookie

Default A really good question!

Why is it that none of the popular R/C Nitro magazines, including R/C Nitro and R/C Car Action (at least here in the States) ever review Serpent cars? I'm finding reviews of the Mugen MTX-3 all over the place, with track tests, performance ratings, etc. only to quickly note that the Serpent 705 is in it's same class. Is it that this car is so 'above the rest' in it's quality - that it's not even worth it for these magazines to review it? I'd love an answer... or an actual review.
hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #440
JUN
Tech Adept

Initial D why do you have all that blue silicone stuff on the carb?if you're trying to seal for a leak i just put a zip tie around the boot and superglue the other end.
JUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 03:00 PM   #441
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default Re: A really good question!

Quote:
Originally posted by hellbent
Why is it that none of the popular R/C Nitro magazines, including R/C Nitro and R/C Car Action (at least here in the States) ever review Serpent cars? I'm finding reviews of the Mugen MTX-3 all over the place, with track tests, performance ratings, etc. only to quickly note that the Serpent 705 is in it's same class. Is it that this car is so 'above the rest' in it's quality - that it's not even worth it for these magazines to review it? I'd love an answer... or an actual review.
You can't find any magazine reviewing the 705 is because these magazine are like 2-3 months DELAY as usual.

For example, look at the race report, they are reporting something like last year x'mas period.........for their schedule, you should a lot of 705 report like sometime April or May, but again, 705 is NOT something like you can pick one up your local hobby shop, you might be lucky to get one at ebay for no less then $360.

If you are die-hard serpent racer in Chicago area, join us this summer with your 705/PRO/IMPACT at Hobbytown OakPark and Tinley Park Chicagoland RC raceway........there are quite a lot of 705 there already, but of course, NTC3 are everywhere.

This season is like NTC3 vs 705 in these 2 track

For more info, check out www.chicagorc.com, sign up and register to be a member, then check out all those track in the website.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:18 PM   #442
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Hi InitialD,

Thanks for the pictures! That's exactly what I needed :-)

I was confused, as I didn't realised how the throttle/brake mechanism worked. I though that as the break linkage is not fixed at both ends (like the throttle), then it wouldn't release the brake when throttle was applied.
I tested it out to see how it works, then I understood who it should work.

Servo-Buzz: Hmm, I'm not sure why, but as soon as I connect my brake and throttle linkages, the servo starts to buzz - maybe it is due to the angle of my throttle linkage - it's not as good as yours and may be exerting a degree of force onto the servo.

Well, I'm just about ready to go now - the engine run in will happen tomorrow :-))) Any tips would be welcome.

Many thanks, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:21 PM   #443
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Just one more thing, as I'm about to be able to drive my car :-) Where and of what diameter should I cut holes in the bodywork of my car to allow cooling and engine breathing?

Thanks again, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:52 PM   #444
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitrospeed
I have seen some 705 serpent spinning on the track here,seem to be more speed responsive and take corner better than Pro version. And guess wat! Sold out like hot cake...currently 15 buyer in Q. But that not 's not more surprise than MTX3!!! Completely out of stock here!!! 80 % of all RC player wanted this car in this area. MTX3 wit spur 16/12 kick ass! Lots of used pro on sale,10% want to get 705 but 90% want MTX3....FYI i am in Q for MTX3!!!! Heeeee
well i would challange you as to a 705 performing any different than a pro.. as i raced both at winternats, back to back with identical setups, and had identical results, and i would also tell everyone that all of the top cars are equall on the track, and that comes from being at 4 of the big shows in the past year(nats, worlds etc)....
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:37 PM   #445
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by JUN
Initial D why do you have all that blue silicone stuff on the carb?if you're trying to seal for a leak i just put a zip tie around the boot and superglue the other end.
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I was in the midst of trying to seal it.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:41 PM   #446
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER
Hey InitialD,
What rear belt is that one in the pic?
It dosnt look like a Serpent #6361 belt. Is that one tighter then stock? Or is just wider for more coverage on the pulley?
Just wider but same number of teeth. It's a 3rd party belt and it's 7mm wide. I reckon the 6361 (6mm width) should do the same job.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:43 PM   #447
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: A really good question!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
You can't find any magazine reviewing the 705 is because these magazine are like 2-3 months DELAY as usual.
Yes, Rookie is probably right... But then there is no excuse as the MTX-3 also came about the same time and yet it gets reviewed first. It may be due to bad marketing of the Serpent USA boys Then again the 705 needs no introduction in the first place

Rookie, better watch your NTC3 a$$ this season
Old 02-26-2003, 05:47 PM   #448
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Hi InitialD,

Thanks for the pictures! That's exactly what I needed :-)
Sorry, I read that you already knew how it worked after I posted those pics...

The servo buzzing may be normal. In any case, make sure nothing is binding. After a few round breaking in the car i.e. running round the track, everything should fit in ok. Mine was tight in the first beginning and now it is ok.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:51 PM   #449
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Just one more thing, as I'm about to be able to drive my car :-) Where and of what diameter should I cut holes in the bodywork of my car to allow cooling and engine breathing?

Thanks again, Mark.
It depends on the tracks rules you run on... But generally, the front windshield hole should not be more than 50 cm or 2" in diameter.

You can cut out the side windows for better air circulation. As for the rear window, I don't think there is any limit to the size.

Take a look at Ralph Burch's Protoform Stratus body in the recent WinterNats or any major events last year to have an idea...
Old 02-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #450
Tech Master

Mark,

In Europe we all run to EFRA rules which is 50mm diameter hole in front window, all of the rear window removed (not necessary) and the two front side windows can be fully removed.

You are also allowed a 20mm hole in the roof for the glow starter, a 10mm hole for the aerial and other small holes for transponder and engine needle tuning as required.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote