R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #391
Tech Master

Default Re: 705

Quote:
Originally posted by Advanti
Hi Andrew,
Thank you for clearing that up...it makes me feel much better now.

To be honest, i am comparing 705 and MTX-3 right now and hope i'll make a decision today. The design of the MTX-3 features a lay down servo mounting position which allows the so-called 'ankerman effect' just like Serpent's big brothers 950. I am thinking if there is any significance difference (improvement) in handling than the conventional type as in 705, RR...
I dont think there is any improvement in handling with the lay down steering servo. I think it is the other way around. With the servo mounted in the radio plate you get a direct link to the hub carriers from the servo. With the laydown servo you have an extra link which increases the amount of slop in the control. To me this is worse in regards to control in high speed corners. It works fine in the 1:8th cars because the links are more solid and generally heavier in design.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:09 PM   #392
Tech Apprentice

Default 705

modellor,
i must agree with you on the linkage of 950 which is very much solid b'cos the car is 1/8th scale.
For a car like 1/10th which weight only about 1.7kg-1.8kg, i believe the linkage would do just fine.
However, i am more than happy to know the real technical reason behind this lay down servo design in the 950....and MTX-3...
and why this design was not adopted in the 705...
If Serpent would release a new revision of the 705 on the lay down steering servo, i am sure Serpent would make it very solid just like the 950...

Last edited by Advanti; 02-21-2003 at 08:16 PM.
Advanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:26 PM   #393
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

the mugan and the serp are pretty equall, i do not see any realworld advantage of eather car... both worked great and ran strong.....
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:11 PM   #394
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Lightbulb Re: 705

Quote:
Originally posted by Advanti
modellor,
i must agree with you on the linkage of 950 which is very much solid b'cos the car is 1/8th scale.
For a car like 1/10th which weight only about 1.7kg-1.8kg, i believe the linkage would do just fine.
However, i am more than happy to know the real technical reason behind this lay down servo design in the 950....and MTX-3...
and why this design was not adopted in the 705...
If Serpent would release a new revision of the 705 on the lay down steering servo, i am sure Serpent would make it very solid just like the 950...
IF Serpent did a lay down steering servo mount the 705 & MTX-3 would have been the SAME CAR!! I think the MTX3 & 705 are very close alike!! I too was deciding between both cars for awhile until I looked at the Rear Adj. Ball diff, Alum. Cross Brace, Graphite side chassi stiffners on the 705. For the same price between the two cars the 705 is a much better buy. I know both cars are great but the cost of a 705 is bargen campare to the MTX-3.

MY 2 CENTS
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:49 PM   #395
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: 705

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER
IF Serpent did a lay down steering servo mount the 705 & MTX-3 would have been the SAME CAR!! I think the MTX3 & 705 are very close alike!! I too was deciding between both cars for awhile until I looked at the Rear Adj. Ball diff, Alum. Cross Brace, Graphite side chassi stiffners on the 705. For the same price between the two cars the 705 is a much better buy. I know both cars are great but the cost of a 705 is bargen campare to the MTX-3.

MY 2 CENTS
Right on and I thought I was the only one that compare the 705 with the mtx-3, but then I had the same opinion as punisher and going for the 705!
Ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 05:02 AM   #396
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: 705

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER

MY 2 CENTS
just came home from the LHS and i am now very much convinced by the 705 after inspecting it (LHS owner's 705). But i have to wait another week or so fo next shipment to arrive. Its no urgency for me, but i brought home a Rody Tuned 5 port and now just waiting for the kit to come...
The 705 is very light and i just love the chassis..., but the rear graphite body mount support seems a little thin and feels a little soft...(Anybody has broken one?? )
Also saw the latest Rear Adj. Anti Roll Bar, looks very much solid and indeed harder than the earlier version.
The fuel tank is okay except that the 'V' mounting points near to the engine seem a little weak, and not holding the tank tightly in place. Sooner or later this 'V' mount would break at its 2 screws point which is holding the tank.
I had double checked the 18T rear side pulley next to the Ball Bearing, indeed a washer is usedin between them to prevent them from touching causing the rubber shield of BB to melt.
Lastly, i also noticed the Rear Diff pulley wobbles, i didnt have a chance to speak to the boss as he had gone for an EP race in Thailand...

PS: But here, the 705 is selling 25% more than the MTX-3...., but good thing is that i dont have to spend so much on hop-ups on this 705, whereas a MTX-3's option chassis would easily cost more than this 25% alone...

Anyway, I think i am going to board the 705 ship soon with you guys....cya'

Last edited by Advanti; 02-22-2003 at 05:10 AM.
Advanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:39 AM   #397
Company Representative

the rear pulley floats on the balls, giving you the illusion of a wobble, as you run it you will find it runs very true...

the tanks has no stress. so i would think the v brace would be fine, there is a graphite version, silly waste of money if you asked me though...

most tank stress is on the front, when you open the lid to pit, otherwise it just sits there....
Old 02-22-2003, 01:09 PM   #398
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default :-) It's alive!!!

I've got my 705 fully assembled - well, I still need to go to my LHS to check about mounting my steering rods - seems to be a problem there somewhere!

Here are some pictures - this is my first self built/painted car. Probably not the worlds best job, but I'm pretty pleased. Just need to build my starter and then run my engine in :-)))))

Check out the pics here:

http://www.geocities.com/mps_photo/705/

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #399
Company Representative

whats the problem?

looks nice.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:40 PM   #400
Tech Elite

The problem is the servo saver for futaba. Once I mount the saver in the part which then gets place onto the steering servo, the part doesn't seem to fit quite correctly onto the servo (see step 5.4) and therefore I can't screw (shown as step 2) the item onto the servo, as the screw now isn't long enough :-((((( And, as the screw is a 2.5 mm part, then I don't have a longer one.

I'll have to see what my LHS thinks.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #401
Company Representative

you need a longer screw...

local hardware may have also...
Old 02-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #402
Tech Elite

:-) Yes, I thought of that already ;-)

I want to check to see if there isn't a fit-problem with the particular servo that I have. I have a couple of questions I need answering at the LHS, so it won't be a wasted trip even if it turns out that all I need is a longer screw.
I did look in my local hardware store today and was amazed that there wasn't one single 2.5mm sized screw!!!!! Lots of 3mm, 4mm, etc. but no 2.5s!!!!

Cheers, Mark.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:58 PM   #403
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
The problem is the servo saver for futaba. Once I mount the saver in the part which then gets place onto the steering servo, the part doesn't seem to fit quite correctly onto the servo (see step 5.4) and therefore I can't screw (shown as step 2) the item onto the servo, as the screw now isn't long enough :-((((( And, as the screw is a 2.5 mm part, then I don't have a longer one.

I'll have to see what my LHS thinks.

Cheers, Mark.
Strange that the servo saver didn't fit. Did you push the saver all the way down? The kit came with a total of three, have you tried the others?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:39 PM   #404
Tech Master

Make sure you have the correct spacer on. There are 3 in the packet. One is for Futaba, another one for KO/Hitec and the third for Sanwa/JR. I think they are the right order for fit but I know for sure the other 2 dont fit properly on the Futaba head. Check the numbers against the instruction page. I have never had this problem with fitting a Serpent Horn or Servo Saver onto a Futaba servo of any description.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:27 PM   #405
Tech Elite

Setting up my 705, I noticed that there are no front droop screws. If there is, somebody please let me know. If there isn't, how do you adjust droop in the front? Spacers in the shocks maybe?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote