R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-30-2003, 02:43 AM   #3886
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Hi Julius,

I've seen articles on Mytsn about Rene using the solid axel in the front of his 705 - a few of us here have also tried this out and the dog-bones are simply too short to use the FC blocks. I've had to go back to the WOS blocks

Have you used the solid axel or do you know of any mods carried out to make the FC blocks useable?

@InitialD the top secret one-way package is under way!!!

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:26 AM   #3887
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
Rene is using, as I do sometimes, 4 NiMh cells. The radio gear I use (Sanwa) works fine on 4.8 volts. The lover voltage means less Amp draw so the run time is about the same.
Cool. One question... Does running the receiver on 4.8V make the car more succeptible to glitches?

I know that some servos are having different specs when rated at 4.8V and at 6V. So I assume performance of the servos will be less at 4.8V when compared to 6V?

Quote:
I use the Alu pivotballs designed for the FC steeringblocks in the rear as well.
Thanks for the info. I was told that the shape of the new pivot balls meant for the FC steering blocks are a little different from the stock ones. Does this make any difference when using these shortened pivot balls meant for the FC steering blocks in the rear? Do they pop out more easily from the rear bearing knuckles since they are of different shape?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:29 AM   #3888
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
@InitialD the top secret one-way package is under way!!!
Cool. Can't wait !
Old 10-30-2003, 09:04 AM   #3889
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default active thread

hmmm now that Julius is around, the thread is definately more active!
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:08 AM   #3890
Tech Prophet

Default Re: active thread

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndoggie
hmmm now that Julius is around, the thread is definately more active!
Yup, agreed. Well, this thread used to be quite active but I guess since it's the end of the nitro season for most EU countries and most states in US, the thread has quiten a little. The same can be said for most of the other threads in the Nitro forum. Have a look at the Electric forum. A lot of activity there because generally, people in the colder climatic countries run EP in winter which is actually starting.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:33 AM   #3891
Tech Fanatic

The alu pivot balls are a different shape to make them strong enough. The ball itself has the same dimensions as the steel one. Because of the shape they are not suited for use in the stock steering blocks. The suspension will have less down travel if you do.

With 4.8v the servos are slower. But I don't feel a difference in driving. Alberto Picco once told me a too fast servo on the throttle can make the bottom end tuning more difficult as the slide opens so fast the mixture changes.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #3892
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With a 4.8v receiver pack, will it affect the performance of personal transponders such as AMB?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:15 PM   #3893
Tech Master

Quote:
Alberto Picco once told me a too fast servo on the throttle can make the bottom end tuning more difficult as the slide opens so fast the mixture changes.
agree.... coz carb is too much sensitive to any drum movement... so u dont need to have a high torque servo for your throttle.... this is what happen to me... i used a high torque servo on my car and really really had a hard time to control the throttle movement! until i change a slower servo... phew that was a lesson for me....

if you have this problem (high torque servo on your throtle but dont want to change it) maybe you can use your EPA function in your RC to set it to respond slower ... am i right?

2 cents....

mop
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #3894
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mop_iko
agree.... coz carb is too much sensitive to any drum movement... so u dont need to have a high torque servo for your throttle.... this is what happen to me... i used a high torque servo on my car and really really had a hard time to control the throttle movement! until i change a slower servo... phew that was a lesson for me....

if you have this problem (high torque servo on your throtle but dont want to change it) maybe you can use your EPA function in your RC to set it to respond slower ... am i right?

2 cents....

mop
I thought it was more to do with vacuum and fuel delivery when the carb opens up too quickly rather then sensitivety to knocks.I remember reading about it a while ago and it made sense but not sure how it can be measured or proved in relation to a specific servo speed. I must say i have used fast servos on throttle without any major problems.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:50 PM   #3895
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

I'm in the market for buying a throttle servo at the moment. I have a 9450 on the steering (this is for my 1:8th Vector NT) and thought about simply getting another one for the throttle - but now it seems that this wouldn't be a good idea!!

Which Futaba servos are to be recommended? I would prefer to stick with a digital one. As I need to break hard with the 1:8th, probably I still need a servo which has quite a bit of torque?

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:28 PM   #3896
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Which Futaba servos are to be recommended? I would prefer to stick with a digital one. As I need to break hard with the 1:8th, probably I still need a servo which has quite a bit of torque?
There is a lot of talk about using analog and digital servos for the throttle / brake. Usually, a digital servo is used because of it's better accuracy, speed and holding power which is good for steering. For throttle usage, it seems the analog servos will be better. They can tolerate better abuse so to speak not forgetting better power consumption for the receiver pack.

I actually burnt 2 digital servos on the throttle because of a costly mistake I made by not switching off my receiver when I switched off my Tx. The servo went into fail safe mode overtime.

Good high torque analog servos are recommended for throttle usage. Need not necessarily be fast. The Sanwa analog VB servos (13kg) and the KO 2174 servos (12kg) are excellent for throttle / brake duty.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:17 AM   #3897
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default throttle servos

hmm I am using 3PK with HRS, I believe with HRS, you HAVE TO use digital servos huh?
I have a 9451 as throttle servo, no matter HOW I adjust the linkage, it gliches.... but its strange because if I brake and then back to neutral, then the servo stops gliching.... I am goona use a rubber band on the slide to see if that helps.. as there is a little bit of force to push the slide where its half open.
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:49 AM   #3898
Tech Prophet

Default Re: throttle servos

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndoggie
hmm I am using 3PK with HRS, I believe with HRS, you HAVE TO use digital servos huh?

You are right ! I forgot that one important bit. If you're on HRS, then you have no other choice but to go all digital.

I have a 9451 as throttle servo, no matter HOW I adjust the linkage, it gliches.... but its strange because if I brake and then back to neutral, then the servo stops gliching.... I am goona use a rubber band on the slide to see if that helps.. as there is a little bit of force to push the slide where its half open.
What do you mean by glitches? Glitches as in buzzing noises from the servo? If the noises are persistant, then your linkages are not set correctly. In any case, the symptoms that you've described is pretty common with digital servos and when the linkages are tight and new.

If you can find o rings, then use them instead of rubber bands. Rubber bands will not stand when nitro gets onto it. If you dilligently change the rubber bands after every week of play, then I guess that's OK. It will not solve the buzzing noise problem noise problem but I use it because it has saved me a few times.

Adjust and choose the o ring / rubber band just to have enough tension in order to pull back the slide carb back to neutral position. While the Rx/Tx is on, press the throttle till it is WOT. Then pull off the plug or switch off the receiver pack, the o ring / rubber band should be able to have just enough tension to position the carb by itself back to neutral. I do this method to determine if the tension is right. Too hard rubber band / o ring tension will hurt the throttle servo and battery life.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:42 AM   #3899
Tech Prophet

Talking It is true...

Indeed Serpent has been testing a new car ! Whether this is the 705R or the 710 is indeed unknown... Perhaps Julius can make comments to this? Apparently an announcement on mytsn is due as early as Monday next week?

This picture attached (as posted on the 705 mytsn forum by Jasper Hendriks from Holland) shows Rene Cornella and Michael Salven with the new car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new car.jpg (36.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 10-31-2003, 06:24 AM   #3900
Tech Adept

Arrow

There will be no 705R, 710 is the next car. But im sure that Julius can correct me on this

Last edited by johan; 10-31-2003 at 06:30 AM.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote