R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-21-2003, 07:11 AM   #3631
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Schrijver99
I Asked Rene Cornella about the new 47 pulley with 3 holes, but he said that they are still not in production! maybe they will be in the near future?
We've been using it (the one with mods) for about two weeks now.

For All, you might not notice that those diff adjuster thing is made of plastic And goes against those hard balls Whoever have the idea of making it into production.. I do really think that person has too much of a free time.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 07:25 AM   #3632
Tech Master

Another info to share: later S705 batch already include that pink/light purple shock O ring, spring steel front stabilizer bar, and somehow better mould (better injection setting of production) of shock body

InitialD.. please do not forget to post your result with TC body; really interested to know. Also, about your posted setting, when you tried on technical track, how big is the track (straight ?meter, in field ?m). I've been having difficulties of getting a well balance car in 46m straight and 2.8m in fields track (22m wide). Thanks

PS: About that 4.5mm split and pulley configs of yours, tires are all good now after 45mins
Old 09-21-2003, 10:39 AM   #3633
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
Here is my car with the body.
Cooooool ! I would gather that a lot of hours went in into that body.

Ummm, are you trying to do some black magic hypnotise thingy with the other racers at the track with that design?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:42 AM   #3634
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
I am hopeful that the 1/8 scale guys would let me play in their class next race at our local track the shoe, my little creation should be legal in everything but weight
Perhaps with some creativity of adding some weight to it would make it the same with the rest of the pack !
Old 09-21-2003, 10:58 AM   #3635
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I Asked Rene Cornella about the new 47 pulley with 3 holes, but he said that they are still not in production! maybe they will be in the near future?
Ummm, that's funny... This is because I actually saw that 47T diff pulley with the 3 holes at my LHS ! The material looks harder like Pyramid said... Something like what you get from the new LC spurs.

I was actually wanting to get it because it would be nice to get to use the external diff adjuster finally... However, I remember that I could not locate where I put the original diff balls. So I went and bought the 47T meant for the FPS diff instead for my original ball diff. They fit fine. You only need to use the bigger diff balls found on the FPS diff. So I use the 47T FPS diff pulley on my ball diff with the larger FPS diff balls!

Another note about using the FPS diff pulley on the original ball diff is that the pulley itself is wider (no fear of the rear belt slipping off the pulley... ). Also there are grooves in them that acts as an external lip seal to the balls. The only down part I see in that is the diff assembly will be slightly heavier. But I would trade that for more reliability !

Anyway, Rene might not have probably noticed this part because I notice that Team Serpent drivers in Holland rarely use the 47T diff pulley for higher final drive ratios ! I do think all your permanent tracks over there do not require the higher internal ratios, right? How I wish it was the case... [dream mode on]
Old 09-21-2003, 11:00 AM   #3636
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
I did paint the body with liquid mask. I think it was from Hobbico. It was actually my first time using the stuff!
Cool front bumper brace, Arun !

Perhaps a little too much of liquid mask usage? Nevertheless, a cool and unique looking body.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:15 AM   #3637
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
Another info to share: later S705 batch already include that pink/light purple shock O ring, spring steel front stabilizer bar, and somehow better mould (better injection setting of production) of shock body
Yes, I have noticed this too ! What do you mean by spring steel front stabilizer bar? I thought they were always made of spring steel?

The other thing is that the newer kits suppose to spot the newer 3 mm chassis that has the front end reinforced a little. The newer kits also include the shims you need to use at the 18T side pulley.

Besides that, there are some ackwardness too... On some kits I noticed that the front left bulkhead does not include a hole for a grub screw to lock onto the exhaust wire holder. Also, the rear left bulkhead on some kits only have a single hole (instead of two) for the steel pins to mount the steel brake pads. However the kit I got does not have any of these problems. I think I got mine late December early January.

Quote:
InitialD.. please do not forget to post your result with TC body; really interested to know. Also, about your posted setting, when you tried on technical track, how big is the track (straight ?meter, in field ?m). I've been having difficulties of getting a well balance car in 46m straight and 2.8m in fields track (22m wide). Thanks
Ummm, I'll give a proper write up and post setup details using the TC body soon once I get to clean my stuff. Hopefully by tomorrow the latest.

Quote:
PS: About that 4.5mm split and pulley configs of yours, tires are all good now after 45mins
I'm not that good enough yet to have reached 45 minutes if that's what you're asking ! I've gone 30 minutes before and the at the end of the race, the split is about 3 mm.

Well practises and observations after that seem to confirm that the tire wear is pretty much equal front and rear. For cummulative short practises during weekends using the same front and rear set of tires reveal that their cumulative wear at the end of the day seems to further reinforce what I have noticed.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:23 AM   #3638
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER
Proficar403- Pretty cool mod with the bulkheads with easy access......witch makes me come up with this question. Why are you have to get to the rear diff or belt at the race track so often to do this mod?
Yup, I would agree with you that Arun's idea being excellent !

But your questions are the same as mine... I would think that mod is useful if you run gear diffs and that you need to change the diff oils every now and then. This would make this mod redundant when running adjustable rear ball diffs... Or wouldn't it...

Changing rear belts? I would think you need to take off the 2 speed main shaft too if you need to mount new rear belt as you need to loop and mount the rear belt around the 22T or 23T brake pulley...

Anyway yes, for me, the rear belts and pulleys have been good.

Again, cool mod nevertheless.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:27 PM   #3639
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Anyway, Rene might not have probably noticed this part because I notice that Team Serpent drivers in Holland rarely use the 47T diff pulley for higher final drive ratios ! I do think all your permanent tracks over there do not require the higher internal ratios, right? How I wish it was the case... [dream mode on]
Rene (who also drive in Germany) is part of the research department, and so designs the new items (cars), i think that he knows what parts they make and what not. Can you please post a part number? (Do they make different part in USA )
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #3640
Tech Adept

Exclamation

About the rear mod:
You need to stay out of trouble and keep your car on the track!
Been taking a closser look at it and found that the rear of the car is now very weak. One hit (maybe two) and your rear brakes off! Need to find a better way to hold the pieces to getter, but still good idee.
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 01:14 PM   #3641
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Rene (who also drive in Germany) is part of the research department, and so designs the new items (cars), i think that he knows what parts they make and what not. Can you please post a part number? (Do they make different part in USA )
Yes, I know who Rene is although not in person. I'm not saying that he's incompetant (in fact he's responsible for most of the 705 R&D)... Just an oversight by him most likely.

Well, R&D can say one thing while production can say another. That's the case with most manufacturing / production company. But the thing is in reality, the newer material 47T diff pulley with the addition of the 3 holes for the external diff adjuster does exist. As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating !

The part has the same part number. I'm not in the US but the part numbers and packaging are the same world wide.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:05 PM   #3642
Tech Regular

Punisher and everyone else, yes, the little streetspec with the BIG engine turned an incredible 5.6 second lap at the banked oval yesterday, this is the fastest I have seen anyone go around that track this year, and this was when I was still figuring out the car, just insane speed. I was litterally shaking with excitment when I walked of the drivers stand. This is definately my new favorite car. Now, If I could only convince another 7-8 guys around here to do the same, we would have a pretty cool class going.
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:07 PM   #3643
Tech Regular

Default Winternats

Modellor, are you doing the winternats in 2004? I was thinking about going again since it was such a great time last year. This yeat, I will come armed with an engine that will live for the full 5 minute qualifier without running dry...
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:12 PM   #3644
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Yes, I have noticed this too ! What do you mean by spring steel front stabilizer bar? I thought they were always made of spring steel?

The other thing is that the newer kits suppose to spot the newer 3 mm chassis that has the front end reinforced a little. The newer kits also include the shims you need to use at the 18T side pulley.

Besides that, there are some ackwardness too... On some kits I noticed that the front left bulkhead does not include a hole for a grub screw to lock onto the exhaust wire holder. Also, the rear left bulkhead on some kits only have a single hole (instead of two) for the steel pins to mount the steel brake pads. However the kit I got does not have any of these problems. I think I got mine late December early January.
Early batch we receive has no reinforce front section on the chassis and the material of front stabilizer is not in that spring steel color but some of the rear dog bones already "pro"

Yes, forgot to mention on that missing holes to mount exhaust wire but never have complaint for missing hole for the stell pins on rear bulkhead.

Last but not least, early batch also equipped with that wheel hub/hex built in with grub screw to hold them tight on the axle.

Have you ever had troubles with S705 dampers resulting from crash and or breaking/cracking arms? I think this is another weak point I would like to see improvement on the next S705.

InitialD, are you located in Hong Kong?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:44 PM   #3645
Tech Prophet

Default Weekend 705 Setup

Wooow, I had my own party last weekend on Saturday. It was another good run. In fact it was a blast with the Protoform Stratus 2.1 shell. Same moderate high speed track (engine peaks out about 5.5 final drive ratio with full size tires) with same setup but different body and occasionally different tires to test out. I changed from a 44T to a 45T 2nd gear spur to compensate for some tire wear. As I did not change any setting, I thought the rear FPS diff was slightly looser than what I wanted it to be which was tight during my testing with the Lola shell. More on that later...

Anyway, I initially tested out with 40 shore fronts and 37 rears. Very nice combo as it gave a little bit of push on power. Tried 40 shore all around and the car was balanced but the rear was throwing a little in the beginning. I discovered that after 2 or 3 laps, the car handled more predictably. I think this is due to the layer of the old 40 shore foam that I was using hardened a little and as time went, that layer scrubbed off and the tires provided more consistant traction. Here is the setup below that I used;

Suspension geometry Front:
Downstops: +0mm
Set-up ride height: 7.5 mm
Camber Left: -2.5 degree
Camber Right: -2.5 degree
Track-width: 200mm
Toe-in: -2.0 degree (toe-out)
Caster setting (mm in front): 6mm
Steering block type: FC (new)

Suspension geometry Rear:
Downstops: 5 mm
Set-up ride height: 7.5 mm
Camber Left: -4 degree
Camber Right: -4 degree
Track-width: 199mm
Spacer on upright: 2.5mm
Toe-in: 2 degree (toe-in)

Shockabsorbers Front:
Springs: red
Oil: 60W (Trinity Shock Oil)
Holes: 1
Cilinder type: aluminum
Shock bladder: stock (black) with foam inserts
Shock-tower position: on bearingblock

Shockabsorbers Rear:
Springs: red (Veteq)
Oil: 60W (Trinity Shock Oil)
Holes: 4
Cilinder type: aluminum
Shock bladder: red (soft) with foam inserts
Shock-tower position: on bearingblock

Anti-roll bar front:
Thickness: std.
Position: 45 degree (medium)

Anti-roll bar rear:
Thickness: adjustable with front male blades
Position: 0 degree (flat - softest)

Tires Front:
Make: Speedmind
Hardness Left: 40
Hardness Right: 40
Diameter: 58.5 mm

Tires rear:
Make: Speedmind
Hardness Left: 37
Hardness Right: 37
Diameter: 63 mm

Transmission:
Pinion 1st: 15
Pinion 2nd: 18
Gear 1st: 50
Gear 2nd: 45
Pulley rear axle: 47
Pulley layshaft middle: 16
Pulley layshaft side: 18
Pulley middle shaft side: 24

Front axle:
Type: One way

Rear axle:
Type: ball differential
Diff. setting: medium hard

I was quite surprised that the body still allowed me to be agressive at the track taking corners as sharp as the car equipped with the lola shell. Well, perhaps the lola took sharper corners and was even more stable at high speed sweepers but I actually did not have problems running with the Stratus 2.1 shell amongst the other Lola shelled cars in the field.

Perhaps the slightly looser diff setting (I think the friction from the FPS diff weared out a little from the last tight hard setting with the Lola shell). Perhaps this was one of the reasons why I could turn in as good as my car equipped with the Lola shell.

Yep, I really love this car to death ! I was pushing the car to the limit and lapping the other guys and then waited for them at the side to give them lead... Chase them again only to overtake them. Phew... Fantastic field day and I was very satisfied to be able to really push the car. Even after really pushing it, the car does not have any wear issues. The side of the front belt shows a slight chipping at one or two places but that's about it. Perhaps one or two small pebbles caught the belt.

Brakes? The new brake disc (9606) works very well with the Mugen teflon brake pads. Very consistant performance and does not show signs of brake fade unlike the other older vented brake disc. It stops the car very nicely after the high speed straight before the apex. I was still able match a fully equipped diff car and challenge the attack at the apex corner after the straight. I needed to brake and slow the car down earlier. Just a few taps. But both car will reach the apex at the same time and because I carried more corner speed with a one way front, I was also able to power out nicely leaving everybody else eating tire dust.

On Sunday, I decided to put back my Impulse PRO with a 3 port STS RS3 engine ( ) after canibalising some of the parts to prepare the 705 for a race a few weeks back. I actually got some motivation from Frederick's outlaw Streetspec to put it back which resulted from very little sleep.

The car had the same mods in the front upper arms. Same pulleys for running the same tire split with a Lola shell. For the rear diff, I used the ball diff from the 705 because the FPS diff is currently used in the 705. The ball diff has the FPS diff balls which is bigger and the 47T from the FPS diff pulley instead of the 47T which should originally be from the ball diff. The other difference was I used the same stock rear upper arms and maintained the rear trackwidth to 198 mm with the optional 8 mm aluminum hex wheel adapter ! I also used 49T/46T spurs with 15T/18T pinions. This is on the older Centax I clutch. The difference I found was that the initial punch and response of the clutch was not the same as on the 705. Perhaps I will go and change the Centax spring to the super hard silver Mugen one and adjust the end float. It's more difficult to adjust the end float on the older Centax I clutch as shims need to be placed behind the flywheel as there are no provisions to do so in the front like what can be done on the Centax II.

Anyway, I'm very well pleased with this car too. The car handled beautifully on a smaller tight track. 40 shore fronts and 37 shore rears. I would think it handled about the same as the 705. I woudl probably whipped it out on the high speed track this coming weekend and see if the old faithful still has what it takes...

Well, that was my weekend fun run. Was very happy and satisfied but the only other thing that dampered me was the results at the WC. It could be a blessing in disguise probably that I only got to know about it on Sunday night. Well, I guess in another time, in another WC...

If any questions, please feel free to shoot !