R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-16-2003, 10:36 PM   #346
Tech Prophet

Ummm, it may well be a bad badge or something. One of you guys should take a pic of the broken 2 speed shaft and send it over at mytsn 705 forum and see what the factory drivers think... That would be interesting to know what they have to say. You may get a new 2 speed shaft sent in for free
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:51 PM   #347
Tech Regular

Hi!I'm thinking about getting a Serpent 705, but before I do I want to get some information and opinion from some of the 705 owners in here, hope that you guys can help me out. My question is where do you guys go to and get parts for the car?(site) What is one thing you guys don't like about the car? Would a car sterring servo mount on the middle better then a car sterring servo being mount on the side(MTX-3)? The most important question is that I heard that Serpent would can not accept most standardize car wheels, is that right? Well that all for now, if I come up with any more hope that guys can help me out! Thanx in advance!
Ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:19 AM   #348
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducati998
Hi!I'm thinking about getting a Serpent 705, but before I do I want to get some information and opinion from some of the 705 owners in here, hope that you guys can help me out. My question is where do you guys go to and get parts for the car?(site) What is one thing you guys don't like about the car? Would a car sterring servo mount on the middle better then a car sterring servo being mount on the side(MTX-3)? The most important question is that I heard that Serpent would can not accept most standardize car wheels, is that right? Well that all for now, if I come up with any more hope that guys can help me out! Thanx in advance!
Ducati998, both cars are decent cars. I mentioned this on the other Winternats thread that all cars that were in the A mains were able and good cars. Only the driver's skills that were differentiating each other apart.

As for parts, you can got to www.rccarinternational.com. They have almost anything Serpent. This online shop is based in Holland. Next is you can try www.ashfordhobby.com or www.brucknerhobbies.com or www.gasrccar.com. They are all based in US.

What I don't like about the car? Nothing serious actually... The roll over handle bar (breaks), the way the roll bar is mounted (accessibility of the grub screw located on the aluminum radio tray support), the position of the throttle / brake servo (to me, it's at a weird angle)... That's about it.

As to the question regarding servo in the middle or layed down, I have no comments as I have never driven a car with a servo layed down like the MTX-3 or NTC3. On paper, lower CG will be achieved when you do this.

As for wheels, I actually do not have problems with them. When the rims are new (I use UFRA and Ellegi tires), they do not rub. These rims made by GRP of Itally are very similar to each other with a difference of only a slight burr at the end of the rim (as shown by Corse-R). But when you use the tires, you will find that the inner rims might get scratched or the spokes get bent a little depending on how you knock your car sideways. I know that some other brand wheels interfere with the pivot ball / knuckle assembly at the front... Maybe somebody else can fill in...

Whichever car you go with, you will not go wrong... I suggest to use parts availability at your LHS and price of parts as a yardstick to gauge your decission upon. Over here where I am, Mugen and Serpent parts are priced about the same. Availability wise, they are almost about the same tending more towards the Serpent.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:20 AM   #349
Tech Regular

Wow! Thanx very much! I'm picking the 705 a bit more after reading the reply, but the wheel part the one that still holding me back. Hopefully I figure it out or somebody in this thread would. Anyway I have another question, I believe that the reciever battery is not included in the kit, also the tray right? What would be need to substitute the reciever battery? Please point me back to the right direction if I'm wrong. Anyway thanx very much IntialD for the reply. Other peoples help would be apperciate also. Thanx!
Old 02-17-2003, 06:53 AM   #350
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

at winternats we had a 1/8 scale take the side of the 705 on the middle of the back stretch, broke the front knuckle and bent the two speed shaft at a 30 deg angle, but it did not break.. you may have gotten a bad run of parts at your local hobby stoire, call serp usa, they are pretty good about replacing that stuff, on the roll bar, mine snaped assembling the car upon close inspection, it looks like while they are being made they are cracking and there is only a small contact area left........

as far as tires, i would get the solid dish rims, they are next to impossible to bend, and should fit well, i long ago switched to the xray front knuckles for the turn in abilitys, but this is a more fragile front end, even though it gives you more clearence.....

the tires is not a big issue, you can run most of the tires on the mrket with few exceptions....
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:54 AM   #351
Company Representative

oh on the battery, the front mount breaks easy, on assembly not from use, i would chase with a tap first, 4mm threads, and you can make the pack with aaa nimhs, you can get them at target, and or just buy a premade one from serp.....
Old 02-17-2003, 06:37 PM   #352
Tech Regular

Thanx Ammdrew! I was just wondering can I order parts directly from Serpent USA? Also would Jaco foam fit on the 705? Thanx!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #353
Tech Regular

Default Angle of the Throttle Servo

I dont know about everyone else but I think the new radio plate and it's new angle is awesome. First of all it allows you to mount a servo (JR) under the plate without hitting the chassis.
Second of all, if you get rid of the receiver holder a (JR) 330 fits like it was made for it. Minimal wiring required.

I had first posted on Mytsn in December that the battery mount was a very weak link on the car and luckily my neibhor is a machinist and made a light aluminum for me.

In case all of you did not know yet, or I did not see it posted, the Serpent rear 6mm belt # 6361 has the same amount of teeth and can be used on the 705's rear end.

Ashford has started a forum which includes Serpent cars for those who are interested !!!

Scott Az.
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:19 PM   #354
Tech Regular

Default Ammdrew

By the way, if you are who I think you are, I met you up in Scottsdale Arizona one night , when we were having a local race.

Bring your car down next you visit, and perhaps we will be going to California or Vegas.

We are going to the Vegas Track this weekend to test and tune for the Speedline Race in April.

180 entry limit. 70 spots gone,

Baker, Cyrul, Etc.... Usually show for the Fun Event !!!

Scott
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:01 PM   #355
Company Representative

same guy.. good to here from you, i do not think i can make the speedline race, but am shooting for the biggie possibly..., family issues, the car is going to be comming with next christmass, so i will do some short tracking with ya

i have been using htat belt for two plus years now, much more durable...
Old 02-17-2003, 08:20 PM   #356
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducati998
Wow! Thanx very much! I'm picking the 705 a bit more after reading the reply, but the wheel part the one that still holding me back. Hopefully I figure it out or somebody in this thread would. Anyway I have another question, I believe that the reciever battery is not included in the kit, also the tray right? What would be need to substitute the reciever battery? Please point me back to the right direction if I'm wrong. Anyway thanx very much IntialD for the reply. Other peoples help would be apperciate also. Thanx!
The battery pack for the receiver is not included. Somebody else mentioned that it was available pre-packed from Serpent specifically for the 705. I don't know the part number though. I made mine and it was very simple this time unlike the one for the PRO which was just a little harder.

The battery tray that holds the receiver pack under the tank is provided. Like Andrew mentioned, the battery holder that holds the batery tray is a little fragile during assembly. Care must be taken.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:24 PM   #357
Tech Regular

Thanx InitialD, maybe youi can help me out instead. I was just wondering can you order part directly from Serpent USA? Also do you think if JACO foam would fit on the Serpent? Thanx!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:24 PM   #358
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips JABRONI....... Welcome to the board!

ammdrew,
Please tell me if you do make it to the Texas Biggie, I'll like to met you in person.

BTW- That go for anyone on this board!
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:27 PM   #359
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have seen the pre-made serpent battery packs on ebay in the last couple of days. I also made mine before they were available.

Punisher, will you be at the 1st SWCS race in Austin?
JJ187RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:30 PM   #360
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Angle of the Throttle Servo

Quote:
Originally posted by JABRONI
I dont know about everyone else but I think the new radio plate and it's new angle is awesome. First of all it allows you to mount a servo (JR) under the plate without hitting the chassis.
Second of all, if you get rid of the receiver holder a (JR) 330 fits like it was made for it. Minimal wiring required.

I had first posted on Mytsn in December that the battery mount was a very weak link on the car and luckily my neibhor is a machinist and made a light aluminum for me.

In case all of you did not know yet, or I did not see it posted, the Serpent rear 6mm belt # 6361 has the same amount of teeth and can be used on the 705's rear end.

Ashford has started a forum which includes Serpent cars for those who are interested !!!

Scott Az.
Yes, on the PRO, the Futaba servo a the throttle barely made it when installed under the radio tray. But it's just me, I don't like the way the angle of the throttle servo is placed on the radio tray. The linkages are diffuclt to mount espescially the one pulling the throttle.

Concerning the 6361 rear belt, yes this was already known among old non-HPI forum members which has now ceased to be. Lots of Impulse PRO information that was put there. Thanks for putting up this information again. Not all are old Serpent die-hards

I think that somebody debated over at mytsn saying that thinker belts makes for more friction...