R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-16-2003, 10:58 AM   #3571
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default A shot from the rear? Certainly, Sir!

Not bad, eh?

The Serpent 4mm Chassis in all its glory!

Cheers, Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis2.jpg (123.0 KB, 122 views)
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:58 PM   #3572
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Something for the weekend, Sir?

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Very nice!
Nice. Mark did your loot arrived already? Should be busy this week eh?

Anyway, are you cheating with those photos? Looks like they were edited a LOT ! No signs of it being D1 too.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:33 PM   #3573
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Yup, I noticed this. Thanks. But what about my current diff pulleys with no holes? It would be good if I could do it easy...
True.. also, I notice the newer spur gears production (molded with 3 holes) made of different material. Looks stronger I think
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:47 PM   #3574
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
True.. also, I notice the newer spur gears production (molded with 3 holes) made of different material. Looks stronger I think
Thanks for the note. I'll check it out. The thing is I don't seem to remember I had any problems with the "old" rear diff pulley material. It's as solid as the bulkheads... Anyway, I don't think it'll hurt to try out the new material.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:48 PM   #3575
Tech Master

Default Re: Weekend Run Notes

Quote:

Suspension geometry Front:
Downstops: +0mm
Set-up ride height: 8.5 mm
Camber Left: -2.5 degree
Camber Right: -2.5 degree

Suspension geometry Rear:
Downstops: 5 mm
Set-up ride height: 7.5 mm
Camber Left: -4 degree
Camber Right: -4 degree
Spacer on upright: 2.5mm

Shockabsorbers Front:
Springs: red
Oil: 60W (Trinity Shock Oil)
Holes: 1

Tires Front:
Diameter: 60.5 mm

Tires rear:
Diameter: 65 mm

Transmission:
Pulley rear axle: 47
Pulley layshaft side: 18
In case you have time, please educate me with the following questions in mind regarding your posted setups;

Why the rear both left and right at -4? Just becuase the tires will runs flat at both side with that angle for particular track you tested on? Also the front both at -2.5 for the same reason?

2.5mm spacer on uprights: is it the maximum spacers you could achived by using that lola rear body post system?

4.5mm split betweem FR/RR tires with FR setup ride heigh higher than RR? what`s with this one? Isn`t you already having equal ratio by using 47/18? more detail on this matter please.

FR Shock for 1 hole: I always avoid running 1 hole just simply because I do not think the piston is well balance going up and down as traveled within the shock body. Care to share you reasons?

Thanks for your time.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:17 PM   #3576
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Weekend Run Notes

Quote:
Why the rear both left and right at -4? Just becuase the tires will runs flat at both side with that angle for particular track you tested on? Also the front both at -2.5 for the same reason?
Yes, somehow they wear flat with those settings. The setting would depend on the type of tire shore as well as the rear shock settings. I find that on certain tracks where there are more high speed straights, the rear right tire seems to cone (smaller inside than outside). In those cases, I run -4 on the rear left and -3 or -3.5 on the rear right tires.

Quote:
2.5mm spacer on uprights: is it the maximum spacers you could achived by using that lola rear body post system?
I think that can be up to 3 or 3.5 mm now. I need to check. Previously I was running more than 200 mm trackwidth in the rear. That made the spacing available for spacers very limited. Narrowing the rear trackwidth to less than 200 mm somehow made some space available. Since I had 2.5 mm available (it's actually the stock silver engine aluminum shim ), I decided to do my testing with it.

Quote:
4.5mm split betweem FR/RR tires with FR setup ride heigh higher than RR? what`s with this one? Isn`t you already having equal ratio by using 47/18? more detail on this matter please.
Ok, setup ride height as defined by mytsn is actually ride height measured when the car is on brand new 66 mm foam tires or when the car is on the Hudy setup station. So using 60.5 mm diamater front tires actually gives you the actual car's front ride height of 5.75 mm for argument sake i.e. [8.5 - (66-60.5)/2]. So it's close to like around 6 mm with the 60.5 mm diameter tires.

Equal front and rear ratio with 22/47/18? Nooo... You only have equal front and rear drive ratio if you use 22/47/17. I use 18T pulley instead of 17T which gives me more front drive.

Quote:
FR Shock for 1 hole: I always avoid running 1 hole just simply because I do not think the piston is well balance going up and down as traveled within the shock body. Care to share you reasons?
Well, I have always stuck to 1 piston hole in the front. It works for me well. I like to have the front slightly harder with more damping as the car reacts and changes direction very well. I guess it will work the same with 2 holes but I think I'll get more steering which I already have a lot !!
Old 09-16-2003, 10:58 PM   #3577
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Something for the weekend, Sir?

Quote:
Nice. Mark did your loot arrived already? Should be busy this week eh?

Anyway, are you cheating with those photos? Looks like they were edited a LOT ! No signs of it being D1 too.
Yep the loot is there

Althought the impact drive shafts fit into the solid axle, they are a couple of mm too long I'll end up with a track width of about 204mm in order to ensure that the drive shafts don't bind So it looks like a solid diff and the FC blocks aren't too compatible I'm going to get some standard steering blocks and return to the 705 drive shafts..... another wait for delivery
I'll look into making the mods Modellor suggested, but a Yokomo (I think it was) dealer with the bits isn't too easy to find.

Regarding the pics....you don't miss a trick, do you I only had a couple of minutes, so took the pics pretty quickly. In doing so, I under exposed them, which meant a bit of pushing in photoshop. Apart from that and the re-sizing, they are standard D1 pics not so observent after all
Old 09-16-2003, 11:47 PM   #3578
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Something for the weekend, Sir?

Quote:
I'll look into making the mods Modellor suggested, but a Yokomo (I think it was) dealer with the bits isn't too easy to find.
I think I can make some arrangements on that. You have PM

Quote:
Regarding the pics....you don't miss a trick, do you I only had a couple of minutes, so took the pics pretty quickly. In doing so, I under exposed them, which meant a bit of pushing in photoshop. Apart from that and the re-sizing, they are standard D1 pics not so observent after all
At least I knew something was wrong in the pics, didn't I? I knew it was done with the help of some Photoshop filters. Well, I cannot be too careful with you when it comes with pics, can I? You did post pics from the Canon once or twice right?
Old 09-17-2003, 04:09 AM   #3579
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MrChan
Default Re: [Off Topic] Michael Salven's Radio Antennae

Quote:
Ummm, there are not many people using stick radios where I come from but this is the first time I'm seeing this type of antennae on the Tx. And look at how long the antennae !

Picture courtesy of Mike Myers.
Uhmm It might not long enough if he still having interference!!
MrChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:07 AM   #3580
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: [Off Topic] Michael Salven's Radio Antennae

Quote:
Originally posted by MrChan
Old 09-17-2003, 11:45 AM   #3581
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: [Off Topic] Michael Salven's Radio Antennae

Quote:
Originally posted by MrChan

MrChan,i told you how the interference works before for salven!

I better get out of hear before i get bitten. J/K

No i hear salven is doing well,a very tough field this year can't wait for the results and video.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:19 PM   #3582
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: [Off Topic] Michael Salven's Radio Antennae

Quote:
Originally posted by EVOLUTION
No i hear salven is doing well,a very tough field this year can't wait for the results and video.
Yes, I'm eagerly waiting for the video to come out too. I see from some of Mike's photo shoots that shows a camera man positioned at almost every different corner to take shots during the race. That is cool.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #3583
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

InitialD,
Have you tried the external adjuster for the rear diff yet?
From the picture I saw on mytsn, it seems to eliminate the diff rings, balls, even the thrust bearing. Is that so?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:51 PM   #3584
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: [Off Topic] Michael Salven's Radio Antennae

Quote:
Yes, I'm eagerly waiting for the video to come out too. I see from some of Mike's photo shoots that shows a camera man positioned at almost every different corner to take shots during the race. That is cool.
Hi Guys,

I was in contact with Ray Wood (Australian guy) who did the 2001 1/8th WC and he was telling me he left last week for the USA to do the WC for this year. I've just ordered the 2001 DVD to see what it's like - his 2003 WC DVD should be ready around christmas time.

www.raywoodrcvideos.com

Cheers, Mark.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:01 AM   #3585
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyU
Have you tried the external adjuster for the rear diff yet?
From the picture I saw on mytsn, it seems to eliminate the diff rings, balls, even the thrust bearing. Is that so?
Roy, I have yet put on the external diff adjuster on my ball diff. I'm currently using my FPS diff on the 705. This is because the external diff adjuster only comes with the 46T. I need to use the 47T diff pulley on the car.

Pyramid mentioned and confirmed that the new batches of the diff pulleys already included these 3 holes if you get them separately. That was what I saw too at the LHS. I'll get it and will let you know what needs to be ommited. Strange too that the external diff adjuster does not come with instructions. Neither has mytsn...

Anyway, my guess is that it's just an add on.