R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-13-2003, 12:25 AM   #3541
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by johan
That doesnt sound farfetched Modellor... Does your source have any information then Serpent will announce it to the public?
All I keep hearing is the beginning of the year so I am guessing it will be uncovered at the Winternats in February or just before so people have them for the Pre-Worlds 2 weeks later.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:29 AM   #3542
Tech Adept

Talking The new TP06 and the new Race brake pads

Maybe i will try them out today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00052.jpg (161.6 KB, 115 views)
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 11:36 PM   #3543
Tech Prophet

Default Re: The new TP06 and the new Race brake pads

Quote:
Originally posted by Schrijver99
Maybe i will try them out today.
Schrijver99, congrats... You made it for the Friday pics

Let us know how the new brake pads and pipe turn out for you
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 11:38 PM   #3544
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Speaking of shining alloy... InitialD, where is your friday pics?
Me shining alloy? Ummm, nothing new to show

I actually wanted to install the new external adjustable diff but they are not 47T... It only comes with 46T and if I need to use 47T, I need to drill. It looks easy but without proper tools, it is rather difficult to drill the holes spaced out equally in 3 places...

Also, I'm currently using FPS diff as I'm currently in a midst of testing out things.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:49 PM   #3545
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Anyway - looks gloomy for the 705 replacement, but here is the 950R!!!

http://www.mytsn.com/news/publ.asp?pid=8910
Yes a spy!

For me if I take cues from the announcement, I would think the replacement would be another evolution. Low servo mountings for lower CG, adjustable rear trackwidth, front roll center and wheelbase (which means adjustable front belt tension) and etc. Besides, Serpent mentioned this on their website; "...innovative without being too radical, Performance through Evolution."

That's good enough I think because I believe the current 705 design has the most amount of experience hours in it. Changes like this that are step by step and not too radical are good for racers as they can build upon their own experiences with the car.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:52 PM   #3546
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: on power steering

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
The problem here is it seems the Electric guys measure their droop from the chassis upwards.
Thanks for the links but I fail to see how EP guys measure their droop differently from what we do on gas cars...
Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 PM   #3547
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by TurnNBurn
a) A chassis mounted steering servo (ala the MTX-3) for lower CG,
Ummm, nice... But is the 705 loosing to the others out there because of this?

Quote:
b) The rear upper suspension revisions for adjustable track width, as discussed earlier in this thread,
While nice to have, I think Serpent also has came out with 10 mm hex wheel adapters (801318). Shorter ones (8 mm and 9 mm) are also available as 801319. Stock kit ones are 11 mm.

Quote:
c) Another revision for the front FC blocks (which people still seem to be having a problem with).
What problems? The FC steering blocks provide enough steering for me. It has all got to do with setup. I believe the FC steering blocks are tougher than the stock ones. They are also not soo choosy as the stock steering blocks when it comes to different rims.

Quote:
d) revise the battery tray mounting issue, which some people also have had problems with.
What battery tray mounting issue? I did not have that problem... In fact I have not heard of any having that problem where we are at. There may be reports that the mount breaks easily because it was not threaded properly but I believe that has already been addressed.

The only problems during assembly that people keep braking is the shock shafts and the plastics. Well, even though parts may be tighter than usual, impatience was the cause of the problem.

Sorry for being a little negative but if Serpent is not ready to roll out a new tourer, why should we get so riled up? I have mentioned this way back before when the 705 came out early this year... I would like the 705 to be another revolution because that way, current setups and experiences can still be used. I would predict a 705R around the corner.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:45 AM   #3548
Tech Adept

Great points as usual D. I honestly think the "problem" is related to lack of hype rather than a lack of performance. The car seems to struggle a bit on small and twitchy tracks though...

Having said that I think that the next car will be desinged from scratch on clean paper and that Serpent will create new platform (706?). Before winternats is the most likely point in time. Both modellor and other sources seems to suggest this. But, then, why not announce it at Chicago?

I predict that the 706R will be announced ONE YEAR FROM NOW knowing Serpent.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:39 AM   #3549
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

I believe you are right D. They will prob. do the same with the 705 as they did with the 950.The 705 as it sits now has so many changes you can make to it its unbelieveable.I believe when a person finds his setup for himself that the car is planted.A revised car with the current upgrades like the lower cg,adj. frontend etc. can only benefit the car the possibilities are there.I stayed with Serpent because of my past experience with the car that I had I could dial the car to any situation given that I took my time and worked with the car instead of rushing to do it.Ive raced many cars offroad to carpet to onroad,and the Serpent is one of the only cars that Ive raced that when you make a change you know cause the car reacts to it.Thats why I stayed with them while others didnt want to take the time and learn about the car.I have drove the Mtx3 and its a good car and I made some changes to it to suit my style and you really dont notice as much with the changes to the car as I have with the Serpent being maybe its me I like to feel how the car handles and whether Serpent comes out with a totally new car or upgrades the current one Im thier with them Plus you get the bonus of talking with drivers from all over the world about what ther car is like and how they set it up with that much info floating around there is no reason a person cant get a great setup for the car that suits there driving skill.
Orion R10 Pro VST powered
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:24 AM   #3550
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by serpentracer1
I believe you are right D. They will prob. do the same with the 705 as they did with the 950.The 705 as it sits now has so many changes you can make to it its unbelieveable.I believe when a person finds his setup for himself that the car is planted.A revised car with the current upgrades like the lower cg,adj. frontend etc. can only benefit the car the possibilities are thvhere.I stayed with Serpent because of my past experience with the car that I had I could dial the car to any situation given that I took my time and worked with the car instead of rushing to do it.Ive raced many cars offroad to carpet to onroad,and the Serpent is one of the only cars that Ive raced that when you make a change you know cause the car reacts to it.Thats why I stayed with them while others didnt want to take the time and learn about the car.I have drove the Mtx3 and its a good car and I made some changes to it to suit my style and you really dont notice as much with the changes to the car as I have with the Serpent being maybe its me I like to feel how the car handles and whether Serpent comes out with a totally new car or upgrades the current one Im thier with them Plus you get the bonus of talking with drivers from all over the world about what ther car is like and how they set it up with that much info floating around there is no reason a person cant get a great setup for the car that suits there driving skill.
serpentracer1, I couldn't have summed it better Those were exactly the reasons I'm still staying with my 705. The car never ceases to surprise what you're still able to do to it setup wise

I'll be posting my weekend run experiences and findings with the 705 shortly...
Old 09-14-2003, 06:42 AM   #3551
Tech Prophet

Quote:
The car seems to struggle a bit on small and twitchy tracks though...
Yep, for you EU guys, the 705 is perfect for your tracks I have reiterated many times that the reason why Serpent is not famous over here in this region is because most races that the are organised over here are on very tight technical tracks. Most of the time, we always use the shortest gears available for the car. The optional internal pulleys were god sent. Well, to say the least, I do not have problems keeping up with the competition in the chicanes and short straights.

Quote:
Having said that I think that the next car will be desinged from scratch on clean paper and that Serpent will create new platform (706?). Before winternats is the most likely point in time. Both modellor and other sources seems to suggest this. But, then, why not announce it at Chicago?
Will there be a completely new tourer in the works? Yes. Will there be a completely new 1/8th scale car? Yes. When? Nobody knows. In this age of competitiveness, any R&D department from any RC company will be on their toes trying to come out with a new car. That I'm sure.

Quote:
I predict that the 706R will be announced ONE YEAR FROM NOW knowing Serpent.
I would put my bets on a 705R this coming Winternats.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:01 AM   #3552
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: on power steering

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Thanks for the links but I fail to see how EP guys measure their droop differently from what we do on gas cars...
Apologies - itís not really the electric guys, just a matter of interpretation - and likely just me.

Itís just that I couldnít figure out how you came to say:

Quote:
Limiting droop in the front will NOT give on power steering. On the contrary, if you have more front droop, your car will have better on power steering.
For instance, the XXX Main Chassis Set Up Guide specifically states that limiting front droop will improve on power steering.

It may be because I'm in Oz - everything's upside down, here.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 11:07 AM   #3553
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Hey InitialD - if Taylor-Racing is upside down, does that mean you're on your side
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 04:23 PM   #3554
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

I could'nt agree with you more about the car on a small tech track.The car still transistions well but not as fast as say a Mtx3 but the 705 still out handles the mtx3 in my opinon and is smoother.I hae some die hard mugen guys here whee im at and ive noticed that they will run a diff in the front instead of the one way and it helps there cr alot now with the gearing that they can achieve on a smaller track well thats the 705 disadvantage but its all good I slapped on the old 2speed clutch bell and clutch(I dont like that type clutch but oh well)and I can achieve a much better ratio thatn the mugen that I know of just a matter of getting the clutch setup right. 1st 12 or 13/50 2nd 15 or 16/46 and with the new Lc clutch in the 2 speed I'll be able to adjust shift points to my advantage so when I run it I'll let yall know how it works.I went to a 1/8mipclutch but I had to do to much work to keep it consistant so im going with the black shoes(Maybe drill them not sure and instead of using springs I will try different size orings on the shoes to see how it works.Ya never know till ya try
Orion R10 Pro VST powered
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:51 PM   #3555
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Hey InitialD - if Taylor-Racing is upside down, does that mean you're on your side
Yeah, no matter where you see me from, you'll still look me from my side