R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #3466
Tech Adept

Yes, what you wrote ealier is slighty different from what the "edited" article contains. To me it seems unecesary (and petty?) to "censor" such a thing. It is common knowlede and common sense that a new Serpent tourer is comming.

Last edited by johan; 09-08-2003 at 02:56 PM.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 03:33 PM   #3467
Tech Regular

Default Chicago Hobby Show...

Well, the show is later this week, and other than the X-Ray announcement, the Serpent camp has been very quiet.

Do you think we will see a "new" 705, or just a revised car
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:12 PM   #3468
Tech Adept

I guess they will move away from the impact/impulse platform, meaning a completly new car, with a feature list somewhere between mtx-3 and g4. Im a clueless newbie so dont shot me if I am wrong

705 shares lots of parts with the 835 cars who, I guess, will not be completly revamped...

Last edited by johan; 09-08-2003 at 07:21 PM.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:20 PM   #3469
Tech Regular

guys..
does the 705 have a lightened 2 speed shoe in white ? if yes, whats the part # ?

the other question is how many turns to set the 2 speed shoe to engage properly from start (i.e. tightened all the way)
pokemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:25 PM   #3470
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by pokemon
does the 705 have a lightened 2 speed shoe in white ? if yes, whats the part # ?
Yes they are in white. Part number is 902416. I find that the shoes does not scrape and let the aluminum layer stick onto the shoes. The shoes come out pretty clean. There is some grey aluminum dust but not as much as with the older grey shoes. The 2 speed aluminum bell housing that I'm using is not new though. So that may account for some of the aluminum dust sticking onto the new shoes.

Quote:
the other question is how many turns to set the 2 speed shoe to engage properly from start (i.e. tightened all the way)
I find that with my 15/18 and 50/46 setup with the 17/47/22 pulleys setup, the 2 speed needs about 6 to 6.25 turns out. Of course, this would vary from engine to engine.

Using 13/16 with 50/44 with the 17/47/22 pulleys, I need to turn it down to 5.5 turns out on the 2 speed adjustment screw.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:05 PM   #3471
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

InitialD
Do you have a problem with 17t rear side pulley developing play on the adapter? I didn't like the amount of play it had so I took it off and went back to 18t pulley. And yes I changed the diff pullies back to the 23/46t
I wonder if I miss a something when I put it together
Old 09-08-2003, 10:23 PM   #3472
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyU
Do you have a problem with 17t rear side pulley developing play on the adapter?
Play? Nope. Mine is pretty tight in the aluminum pulley adapter.

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyU
I didn't like the amount of play it had so I took it off and went back to 18t pulley. And yes I changed the diff pullies back to the 23/46t
You run on a small track right? The 22/47/17 pulleys will benefit you.

Ummm, don't you run an Impulse? How did you get those 705 pulleys to fit? Or are they now Impulse on 705 steriods?

Anyway, if you're running foams and you have a tire truer at your disposal, you can true the front tires to 61.5 mm and leave the rear new tires as is (65 to 66 mm). Now you can use the 18T rear side pulley instead of the 17T pulley and use the 22T brake pulley and 47T diff pulley combo.

If you use 18T/22T/47T pulleys, you need to run a 4.5 mm split between the front and rear tires. Try it and you may like the effect on added steering. Using this kind of arrangement will still give you the higher internal ratio advantage.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:43 PM   #3473
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Play? Nope. Mine is pretty tight in the aluminum pulley adapter.

You run on a small track right? The 22/47/17 pulleys will benefit you.

Ummm, don't you run an Impulse? How did you get those 705 pulleys to fit? Or are they now Impulse on 705 steriods?

Anyway, if you're running foams and you have a tire truer at your disposal, you can true the front tires to 61.5 mm and leave the rear new tires as is (65 to 66 mm). Now you can use the 18T rear side pulley instead of the 17T pulley and use the 22T brake pulley and 47T diff pulley combo.

If you use 18T/22T/47T pulleys, you need to run a 4.5 mm split between the front and rear tires. Try it and you may like the effect on added steering. Using this kind of arrangement will still give you the higher internal ratio advantage.
I got the part numbers from you and ordered the parts. I'll try the 18/22/47 setup and the tire sizes.
No Impulse on steroids, just an old car like me
The track I run on has a tight infield and the straight is about 190ft. There are couple of pictures posted of the track in the Racing Forum under Road Dome Rails thread. It was posted by Freakah
Thanks for the info
Old 09-08-2003, 11:00 PM   #3474
Tech Regular

thomas advise me to start from 5 turns. however the gear engage too late. when turn to 6 turns it's good but sometimes i feel it doesn't engage. i suspect the screw head is kinda stuck so i switch to a srew with small head. hope it'll work.

I've seen the white 2sp shoe in madam but she told me not suitable for 705 ???? next time i check the part number. The white shoe have addition 2 more grub screw. any idea for what ?
pokemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 11:21 PM   #3475
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

How large of an effect do you see as the tires wear, say down to a 3.5mm difference and so on?
Old 09-08-2003, 11:30 PM   #3476
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
How large of an effect do you see as the tires wear, say down to a 3.5mm difference and so on?
Driving with overdrive in the front when the tires in the rear wear down more than the front is nice In the tight chicanes and sweepers, on power steering is something nice to have as the car pulls out of the corners nicely.

The thing is running with this 4.5 mm split, at the end of the day I end up having about 3 mm split i.e. from 61 mm front / 65.5 mm rear to 59 mm front / 62 mm rear at the end of the day. This is using 37 shore front and 35 shore rear. I still find the car controllable but a little more twitchy.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:37 PM   #3477
Tech Prophet

Quote:
when turn to 6 turns it's good but sometimes i feel it doesn't engage. i suspect the screw head is kinda stuck so i switch to a srew with small head. hope it'll work.
Be careful of smaller head screws. Don't make it too small. I experienced the spring came off the screw because I used a smaller button head allen. This will render the 2 speed not engaging at all.

Anyway, sometimes for proper 2 speed engagement, the car needs to be heated or warmed up properly. I suggest you clean the inner bell housing and the 2 speed shoes to make sure that the shoes are not slipping.

There has been report on mytsn that the grey shoes will stick to the aluminum bell and this will make the car engage in 2nd speed all the time. I did not have this problem though...

Quote:
I've seen the white 2sp shoe in madam but she told me not suitable for 705 ???? next time i check the part number.
I saw them and I believe those are for the older Impulse.

Quote:
The white shoe have addition 2 more grub screw. any idea for what ?
They are actually to compensate the wear in the shoes. As the shoes wear more, the spacing of the shoes and the aluminum bell gets larger. Smaller gap, the 2 speed shifts smoothly. Larger the gap, the engagement becomes grippy and suddently.

Perhaps the wear in the shoes and the large spacing it creates are the culprits that is attributing to your 2 speed not engaging consistantly.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:18 AM   #3478
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Two interesting designs

Just had a look in the picture gallery of the German Championship Race and there are some close-up pics of an Assos TC3 and

http://www.mytsn.com/events/glrimage...326&imid=30337

The new Kyosho

http://www.mytsn.com/events/glrimage...326&imid=30339

Both have what looks like a drive shaft 4 wheel drive coupling instead of a belt.

I don't often look at the other cars on the market and wasn't aware that both these manufacturers had gone for shaft drive.

Is there a trend in this direction?

Looking at the Kyosho - it looks quite a messy design - the tank looks strange aswell as the position of the carb - maybe it wasn't fully assembled?

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:36 AM   #3479
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Two interesting designs

Mark, the Kyosho car is the new Kyosho FW-05R shaft driven. The Associated nitro car has always been shaft driven. There are of course pros and cons of shaft and belt driven cars. But all new cars in the market still seem to be belt driven.

From the author's pics of his car, I see that he did the front upper arm mod. However, the rear adjustable sway bar on the car would be simply too hard. From what I can see from the pics, the tracks has a lot of hairpins. The car need to roll a little more in the rear at those sharp conners. To be able to use these adjustable rear sway bars in stock form, you need softer rear springs and perhaps softer rear tires.

Not saying that the author does not know his stuff but the lack of presence from Rene Cornella and other German factory drivers does make his report suspect. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:55 AM   #3480
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Two interesting designs

Quote:
Mark, the Kyosho car is the new Kyosho FW-05R shaft driven. The Associated nitro car has always been shaft driven. There are of course pros and cons of shaft and belt driven cars. But all new cars in the market still seem to be belt driven.

From the author's pics of his car, I see that he did the front upper arm mod. However, the rear adjustable sway bar on the car would be simply too hard. From what I can see from the pics, the tracks has a lot of hairpins. The car need to roll a little more in the rear at those sharp conners. To be able to use these adjustable rear sway bars in stock form, you need softer rear springs and perhaps softer rear tires.

Not saying that the author does not know his stuff but the lack of presence from Rene Cornella and other German factory drivers does make his report suspect. Just my 2 cents.
I agree entirely! I find it very odd that Serpent didn't have a stronger showing - was this due to the fact that they knew the car wouldn't perform or simply that they are too busy for the 1/8th world champs.
I found the report surprising in its critisism - and the feedback from Dieter Fleischer seemed to suggest that he thought it was due to the setup (the feeback item seems to have dissapered now).

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote