R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-07-2003, 08:58 PM   #3451
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Throttle hitting gas tank

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndoggie
Hi, I just finished assembling the 705. One thing I noticed, when I extend the throttle switch on the engine fully, the "opposite end" of the ball head hits the black triangular plate (that holds the gas tank).
Try the method modellor suggested. Else, bend the throttle linkage so that it clears the tank support.

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndoggie
Secondly, I had lotsa problem putting the mid belt onto the pullies... Any suggestions?
When new, the belt can be a little tight. That's normal and it'll get loose once the car gets onto the track for a few tanks.

What I do is I normally put the side belt onto the 18T rear side pulley on the main 2 speed shaft first. Then wrap the belt partially onto the 24T front side pulley as much as you can from the bottom side. Once the belt is partially in, turn one of the front one way wheel BACKWARDS. The belt will automatically be in the pulley groove. It may need a little force.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:41 PM   #3452
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1/8th Sevo saver

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Ummm, the stock servo saver does not have any problems if you follow the 705 manual instructions of installing a Sanwa / Airtronics steering servo to the T.

Ummm, it looks like for your case if the problem of steering servo mounting can already be solved with the stock servo saver, going with a 1/8th scale servo saver would get your into problems It's like 2 rights will end up in a wrong.

In your case, you should use it still and remove some material on the servo saver like what Mark has suggested because it gives a better Ackerman steering.
my stock servo saver is juz clear of the lower part of the front belt. i juz wanna tried wif a 1/8 servo saver, does the steering improve.
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:44 PM   #3453
Tech Regular

Default transmitter steering respond

guys

my car setup pretty standard for most races but i wan more steering. up to the extend tat, i increase my steering respond to 20% but it's not wat i wan.

do u guys increase steering respond??
Old 09-07-2003, 10:46 PM   #3454
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1/8th Sevo saver

Quote:
Originally posted by taz5176
my stock servo saver is juz clear of the lower part of the front belt. i juz wanna tried wif a 1/8 servo saver, does the steering improve.
The 1/8th scale servo saver provides for better Ackerman steering.

Have you tried using the FC steering blocks?
Old 09-07-2003, 10:49 PM   #3455
Tech Prophet

Default Re: transmitter steering respond

Quote:
do u guys increase steering respond??
I always set mine to 100%. I have never changed it and if there is something that needs to be done on the steering setup to increase steering, I do it on the car itself via droop, tire selection or the shocks.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:25 PM   #3456
Que
Tech Adept

Default Help

The screws that came stock for mounting the engine to the from the underside are wearing out. I guess i take my car apart to much what are there if any upgrades for this part with the torx screws fit
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:28 PM   #3457
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1/8th Sevo saver

Quote:
The 1/8th scale servo saver provides for better Ackerman steering.

Have you tried using the FC steering blocks?
ya, im using the fc blocks now, maybe i trim a little of the 1/8 servo-saver, & hv a go at it
Old 09-07-2003, 11:37 PM   #3458
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Que
The screws that came stock for mounting the engine to the from the underside are wearing out. I guess i take my car apart to much what are there if any upgrades for this part with the torx screws fit
Torx screws are nice However, you can alternatively get allen type M4 countersunk screws from any hardware shop. I find for me they strip less and easier to work on.

If you have a T type 2.5 mm allen wrench, you can really tighten them down. With this, I do not need to use any thread lock on the engine mounts.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:44 PM   #3459
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1/8th Sevo saver

Quote:
ya, im using the fc blocks now, maybe i trim a little of the 1/8 servo-saver, & hv a go at it
Perhaps another tip that I can share with you is to use reduce the rear trackwidth. Have you measured them? If you're using a rear camber of -4 and a toe in or +2 or +3, you'll definitely exceed 200mm. I find that by reducing the rear trackwidth to less than 200 mm gives me a lot of turn in and the car will transition from left and right in the chicanes very responsively.

I find that reducing the rear trackwidth while increasing steering does not compromise on the rear traction.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:44 PM   #3460
Que
Tech Adept

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2003, 11:47 PM   #3461
Que
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Help

Quote:
Torx screws are nice However, you can alternatively get allen type M4 countersunk screws from any hardware shop. I find for me they strip less and easier to work on.

If you have a T type 2.5 mm allen wrench, you can really tighten them down. With this, I do not need to use any thread lock on the engine mounts.
What is the part number for the Torx will they fit the 705? I can't get the M4 Screws here i am currently stationed here is south Korea and it is hard to just go to the hardware store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2003, 11:55 PM   #3462
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Que
What is the part number for the Torx will they fit the 705? I can't get the M4 Screws here i am currently stationed here is south Korea and it is hard to just go to the hardware store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ummm, the thing is the torx screws (1014 or 1015) from Serpent is M5 and is meant for their Impact and Vector / 950 cars.

I feel for you but I I think you still need to get it outside a the hardware shop. If you still want to use Philips, then better get a proper Philips driver like the one from Hudy. Correct size will not make the Philips screws strip.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #3463
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default German Championship race

Just read a report from a competitor in the German Championship race:

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publmem.asp?pid=8871

All in German however.

Steve Baumgarten (the driver) was very critical of the 705. He started by saying that just looking at the track he knew he was in for trouble with the 705. His first venture onto the track simply confirmed his worries!!
Fortuntaely he had a very experienced helper with him (Dieter Fliescher) who manged to transform the car. However after a rain storm and a once-again dry track the car reverted to an almost undriveable machine. Dieter made some small changes to the setup, which changed the handling of the 705 completely - here Steve was once again very critical, saying that sweet-spot of the car is very small and therefore difficult to find the right setup.
He concludes his report by stating that he finished 17th in the championship race and he was the highest serpent finisher - which he pointed out shows that the 705 isn't a good car!!!!

He certainly was not a happy bunny and Dieter tried to pour some oil on these troubled waters by saying that with the right setup the 705 was as fast as the Mugens and the Assos'. But he also sort of admitted that the 705 wasn't the best by saying that he hopes for a real strong car for next year - a nod to the 705's successor.

This almost sounds like the things which were said about the Veteq and Vector NT just before the 950 came about! Hopefully the next 200mm Serpent will be as good as the 1/8th 950.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:21 PM   #3464
Tech Adept

I guess we will be informed this very week, the Chicago Hobby Show starts this thursday. This years cars was announced a year ago at the same place.

"The latest and the greatest..."

EDIT: Cant acess your link, perhaps only german registred mytsn users can acess it?

Last edited by johan; 09-08-2003 at 01:35 PM.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:43 PM   #3465
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

I'll try again:

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=8872&eid=1326

It seems the link changed somehow - maybe Serpent censoring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me it was him trying to make a point about the new car coming - not in so many words, but maybe he felt somehow frustrated about the car and now that he knows a new one is coming, he felt he could let rip.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote