R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-25-2003, 07:48 AM   #3271
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Interesting you say this. I'm not too familiar with Serpent stuff, but one of the local racers turned up with his 705 apparently set up as per Slaven with no sway bars and Xray top arms or something. He said it was very docile and not at all what he was used to. I think he liked it. Too bad we only got one run before the rain settled in.
The XRay front knuckles thingy was a thing of the past... Popularised by Ralph in 2002 with his Impulse PRO when they "previewed" the coming of the 705 in the world meet in Cincy, Ohio. I don't think he (or Art Carbonel) used it anymore on their cars with the inception of the new FC steering blocks.

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate here... I don't know who the guy is but I would be weary if he says he uses the same setup as the one on Michael Salven's car... For one thing, Michael has probably used certain parts that were unknown to many like the front shock pistons. Secondly, the ball diff settings on the Serpent is also kinda ambiguous. You don't know what is "soft", "medium" or "hard" diff settings and certainly that is kinda of difficult to set and replicate the same on your car.

Yeah, of course the last thing is if he actually could replicate the settings on mytsn correctly... I hope the guy is aware that the ride height that is on the setup sheet of Michael Salven's car is based on ride height that is on the Hudy prism which is also the same if you take the ride height of the car if you use 66 mm out of the box new foam tires. So the REAL ride height when using 61.5 mm front and 62 mm rear tires is 4.25 mm front and 4 mm rear ride height respectively. Not 6.5 mm and 6 mm respectively as in the setup...

Quote:
True enough. My point was really on "hoopla" in general and how so many people seem to get terminally sucked in by it.
Ahhh, jumping on the bandwagon thingy?

Quote:
The Evo certainly has a lower CG than the old car, but I reckon the new front end geometry is the biggest improvement.
That I would agree The yet to come out new Serpent tourer seems to be heading that way looking at pictures of Ralph's and Michael's car... Making the front and rear suspension arms longer which is the same improvement steps taken on the EVO.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:08 AM   #3272
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by johan
InitialD, any comments regarding your expierence with repositioned front upper arms?
Oopphs, when I re-read my reply, I was mentioning about the rear trackwidth mod... My bad

My race last weekend included the repositioned front upper arms mod As what I mentioned, the car moved and responded pretty well in the chicanes.

I must also add that I used a 2.5 mm upper rear upright spacer and used a 4.5 mm split in the front and rear tires (61.5 mm front and 66 mm rear) with the 22T/47T/18T pulleys.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:12 AM   #3273
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
The XRay front knuckles thingy was a thing of the past... Popularised by Ralph in 2002 with his Impulse PRO when they "previewed" the coming of the 705 in the world meet in Cincy, Ohio. I don't think he (or Art Carbonel) used it anymore on their cars with the inception of the new FC steering blocks.

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate here... I don't know who the guy is but I would be weary if he says he uses the same setup as the one on Michael Salven's car...
<SNIP>
Agreed . . . . just more hoopla when you think about it.

Quote:
Ahhh, jumping on the bandwagon thingy?
Yep . . . of course, the purchase of any brand of car leaves one exposed to being accused of jumping on one bandwagon or other.

Quote:
That I would agree The yet to come out new Serpent tourer seems to be heading that way looking at pictures of Ralph's and Michael's car... Making the front and rear suspension arms longer which is the same improvement steps taken on the EVO.
Presumably it'll have the mandatory lay-down servo and you'll then be accused of driving a MTX-3 copy, just as we were last Sunday.
. . . Lord, save me from these bandwagons.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:14 AM   #3274
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Devin
Do you guys cut your foams down to a desired width before running on the 705? Ie 60mm from the stock 63-65mm? I generally cut them for my xray- but nitros chew through them a lot faster than electric. Thought I would get more bang for the buck and keep them stock in the package and adjust ride height accordingly. Thx
Stock out of the box foams are usually 65 to 66 mm. That is why the Hudy prisms are made and set such a way that when you take ride height settings there, you take it as if the car was on brand new foam tires (66 mm).

Anyway, if you look at the optimal tire diameter settings that these guys use, you will notice that they do not use more than 62 mm worth of tire. I believe this is the optimal tire diameter setting for handling. Some people also true their tires to get the correct tire rollout (for a given gearing) for a certain track.

But no worries... If you want to replicate settings from the setup sheets on mytsn and at the same time you want to use 66 mm of foam tires out of the box, you need to readjust and apply the droop settings accordingly. Example, if you take Michael Salven's recent Euro setup and if you want to use 66 mm tires, you need to readjust the front and rear "set up ride height" settings as in the setup sheets on mytsn... The ride height of the chassis measured with the 66 mm tires (the same as measuring on the Hudy prisms which = "set up ride height") would have to be 4.25 mm front and 4 mm rear ride height respectively.

If you choose to use a different ride height of say 6 mm front and rear, you need to readjust the front and rear droop to +3.75 and +9 respectively instead of the +2 and +7 on the mytsn setup sheet.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:19 AM   #3275
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Presumably it'll have the mandatory lay-down servo and you'll then be accused of driving a MTX-3 copy, just as we were last Sunday.
. . . Lord, save me from these bandwagons.
Lord save me too
Old 08-25-2003, 08:31 AM   #3276
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
Anyone running a rossi ns12s3 engine in your 705? If so what gearing do you like?
I am not running a NS12 engine but I'm running a 5 port modified varient of it... I was told that the engine has similar characteristics as the stock NS12. It seems like the engine is stongest low to mid end pull as evident on the Centax clutch setting (9.5 mm on the Centax clutch nut with a Mugen hard silver spring). But the high end is pretty scary too BTW, I use a 61600 .15 RDLogic pipe.

Anyway, I have not tried gearing up on the pinions yet. At the present moment, I normally 15/18 pinions with 50/46 spurs on the optional internal pulleys. Occasionally on smaller tracks, I use 13/16 fixed pinions on the old Centax clutchbell with 50/46 spurs. For a larger track, I geared up to 16/20 pinions and 50/44 spurs with the optional pulleys and the car felt really happy. I did not notice the lack in acceleration too compared to using 15T pinion Perhaps I may want to try and change it to 16/18 pinions and 50/46 spurs to get a shorter shifting in between gears and see how that works out with the engine I may also want to experiment the black XP clutchshoe with the normal yellow one in between changing gears.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:48 AM   #3277
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

InitialD - thanks for the info.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #3278
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I am not running a NS12 engine but I'm running a 5 port modified varient of it... I was told that the engine has similar characteristics as the stock NS12. It seems like the engine is stongest low to mid end pull as evident on the Centax clutch setting (9.5 mm on the Centax clutch nut with a Mugen hard silver spring). But the high end is pretty scary too BTW, I use a 61600 .15 RDLogic pipe.

Anyway, I have not tried gearing up on the pinions yet. At the present moment, I normally 15/18 pinions with 50/46 spurs on the optional internal pulleys. Occasionally on smaller tracks, I use 13/16 fixed pinions on the old Centax clutchbell with 50/46 spurs. For a larger track, I geared up to 16/20 pinions and 50/44 spurs with the optional pulleys and the car felt really happy. I did not notice the lack in acceleration too compared to using 15T pinion Perhaps I may want to try and change it to 16/18 pinions and 50/46 spurs to get a shorter shifting in between gears and see how that works out with the engine I may also want to experiment the black XP clutchshoe with the normal

yellow one in between changing gears.
I use the ns12 engine and have been told by our local factory drivers that the mod version only diff. is in the straights, but one hit of the dot will give away this slight advantage. I'm using 50/45 w/ a 16/20 pinion on a good size track. My clutch is between 9.5 to 9.75 mm. on the nut. I am using the logic 61215L one-piece pipe.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:21 AM   #3279
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I'm using 50/45 w/ a 16/20 pinion on a good size track.
Woow, that's a huge track. More than 200 ft straights? Is this with stock internal pulleys?

Quote:
I am using the logic 61215L one-piece pipe.
Perhaps if you could use the 61600 pipe, then you would probably get that high end advantage
Old 08-25-2003, 11:58 AM   #3280
Tech Elite

I seem to have no problems with the straights.It pulled on collari/sirio hand mods w/ no problem, and also ritchey mod. Now if I could just drive more better, but that omes w/ more practice. Yes,I use all stock ratio pulleys,but alum. ones.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:08 PM   #3281
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I seem to have no problems with the straights.It pulled on collari/sirio hand mods w/ no problem, and also ritchey mod.
So the NS12 is a good buy then...

Quote:
Now if I could just drive more better, but that omes w/ more practice. Yes,I use all stock ratio pulleys,but alum. ones.
That seems to be always the case with normal mortals like us Practise, practise, practise !
Old 08-25-2003, 01:58 PM   #3282
Tech Adept

thx for reply, D
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 04:42 PM   #3283
Tech Elite

Yes, practice makes a racer better. Yes, the novarossi ns12s3 is a great buy. They were everywhere at the nats.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:40 PM   #3284
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

for those of yu not familiar with the setup numbers heres a helpful article http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=7107

It helps alot when looking at a serpent setup you want to use, but you want to run different tire combos with it
Orion R10 Pro VST powered
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 07:45 PM   #3285
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Yes, practice makes a racer better.
YES, IT DOSE!!
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote