R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-21-2003, 11:52 AM   #3196
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by TurnNBurn
Hey! Paint that wing!!!

Seriously though, nice job, but you might want to trim the sides and the rear a little bit... it looks WAY to low. You definitely don't want it to scrape in the turns. that will definitely affect your handling.
Hi TurnNBurn,

The wing is in stealth-mode!

I gave up painting the wings, as as soon as I have a crash, all the paint falls off
I've also not trimmed the wing down as much as it should be, as we have some very tight turns on our track and one very nasty high speed kinck - I like the downforce there!

Yep, the bodywork is too low, I need to cut it back a bit - just didn't want to miss out on the Friday picture fest

Cheers, Mark
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 01:24 PM   #3197
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Just a side note... Hope you made sure that all suspension parts and arms are moving freely as the parts can be a little tight when new.
You're not kidding! It took alot of work to get the suspension just right. Thanks for the tip though. I have spent quite a bit of time on this car and am pleased with the build and general quality of the kit. All that is left is to put it on the Hudy board and set it up.

Ok guys here are some pics as promised. Nothing too exciting, I'm sure you have seen a shiny Serpent before

Here is my practice shell,

Naked,

Naked behind,

Last one, my favourite

Sorry about the size of the pics guys. I tried optimizing them as much as possible.
rc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:27 PM   #3198
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Very nice pics!!! (Nice use of fill flash - perfect to raise the shadows in harsh sunlight!) Wow my D1 isn't looking too good now
Hey, you're cheating bringing a sexy girl into the photos!

I may be trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs here, but don't forget the vent holes in the front and rear screens + cutting out the side windows. Appologies if this is already clear.

Look forward to seeing more pics!

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:53 PM   #3199
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is that the proto-alfa body? Also cut those body posts down a bit. More girlie shots!
Old 08-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #3200
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by TurnNBurn
Seriously though, nice job, but you might want to trim the sides and the rear a little bit... it looks WAY to low. You definitely don't want it to scrape in the turns. that will definitely affect your handling.
Don't know if it's too low but I believe team drivers run their bodies just about that low. I've not seen them in real life but in the pics, it looks pretty close to that.

Anyway Mark, I believe if you use a Protoform body, the body will be a little higher. HPI shells as far as I can remember can be trimmed pretty low.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #3201
Tech Prophet

Default Re: It's time to get that Friday feeling

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Not quite Friday here, but it must be somewhere!

My first Stratus body (HPI) with my usual colour scheme.
Mark, well it's already Friday here So it does not matter

As usual, nice D1 pics I'll show off mine in a minute
Old 08-21-2003, 07:48 PM   #3202
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by rc-racer
Here is my practice shell,

Practise shell? You must be kidding me Nice shots rc-racer. I always enjoy your pics

Well, I can't get my wife to hold my car up for me to take a pic, lest touching it
Old 08-21-2003, 07:55 PM   #3203
Tech Master

My other half will touch my car no problem. Too throw it from one side of the room to the other.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:58 PM   #3204
Tech Prophet

Default For Proficar403

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
I am trying to figure out whether or not my non-serpent servo saver is yielding the correct ackerman.
The distance of the ball cups to the center of the servo mounting hole is 18 mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg servo saver.jpg (153.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #3205
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
My other half will touch my car no problem. Too throw it from one side of the room to the other.
Yup, I think that's it Perhaps I should stick to the same arrangement... Her not touching my car at all
Old 08-21-2003, 08:09 PM   #3206
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
On my car it is the left upright that angled the spacer more toward the outside of the car, causing more camber to be applied to the wheel.
A little late in the reply but last night when I was meddling with the rear trackwidth, I notice this too.

Well, you can check the picture I took of the rear. I also modified the floating rear body mount to accomodate a TC bodyshell. You can also see the rear adjustable upper arms from the 950 that I shoddily fitted onto the 705.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (177.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 08-21-2003, 08:31 PM   #3207
Tech Prophet

Default Rear Adjustable Upper Arms

Quote:
Originally posted by serpentracer1
when looking at Ralphs car with the 950 arms on it Not sure if yall noticed that also the arm is moved in further to the center of the chassis directly in front of the rear top plate screws instead of to the outside of them So that makes me wonder how the lower arms are mounted also
Ummm, alright I now understand what you're trying to say. The rear upper arms are mounted in a different pivot pin hole. Something like the front upper arms mod. The rear upper arms look like they are installed further inwards. I calculated and I guesstimated that the new position used on Ralph's car is about 4.5 mm inner from the stock position. I believe that the rear lower arms would still be in the same stock position.

I would think this mod makes the geometry suspension better as the longer the suspension arms, the lesser relative suspension travel for the same amount of movement.

I tried to mod the 950 rear upper adjustable arms (talk about nothing to do ) by myself. I think it involves a lot of cutting. I don't think it will be the same as what Serpent would have instructed us to do. But then again, when I compared the original 950 part against the pic of Ralph's car, the rear upper arms look a little different. In my opinion, if I modded the arms, I still would not get to the same rear arm shape as the one on Ralph's car.

Oh well, the end result is in the picture attached. I only wanted the function of being able to change the rear trackwidth. But the one on Ralph's car ups the ante as it changes the rear suspension geometry too.

With this new mod, I was able to set the rear trackwidth at 200 mm or less while using a rear camber of -4 and a rear toe in of +2.

I've yet to test out my car with this mod. I hope to achieve a more agile and nimble car in the infields
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear_adjustable_arms_1.jpg (182.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 08-21-2003, 08:32 PM   #3208
Tech Prophet

Another angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear_adjustable_arms_2.jpg (188.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-21-2003, 08:34 PM   #3209
Tech Prophet

Sorry for all those shoddy work with the plastic flashing here and there Like Mark, I was also rushing for the Friday dateline

Ummm, perhaps I should ask Mark to create the "deflashing" filter to be used in conjuction with the current "scrubbing" photoshop filter that I got from Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear_adjustable_arms_3.jpg (144.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-21-2003, 09:14 PM   #3210
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
A little late in the reply but last night when I was meddling with the rear trackwidth, I notice this too.

Well, you can check the picture I took of the rear. I also modified the floating rear body mount to accomodate a TC bodyshell. You can also see the rear adjustable upper arms from the 950 that I shoddily fitted onto the 705.
Woww!! ,, you really have been working out a lot with your dremel, hehehe!!,, Good Job there!!,, ,, and please let us now,, how it works too!!

with all of these changes ,, I feel something weird is going to happend again!!,, maybe a new King Cobra is going to appear near in the future!!

hehehehe!! just a guess!!

Ciao!!
paulfitipauldi is offline   Reply With Quote