R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-29-2003, 08:38 PM   #2851
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Devin
Have you guys made any shield on the rear ball dif to try and keep crap out of it? I was thinking about making a labarinth cover like on the xray cause they really are smooth for a very long time.
I tried using the 50T read diff from the 1/8th scale. They cover and shield the internals good. However, because of the size, you need to change the balls to the one for the FPS. I believe the balls used in the FPS diff is bigger than the ones used in the stock ball diff.

Touching on this 50T rear diff subject, yes, using the 50T read diff instead of using 47T or 46T will require a change of the rear belt. You need a 204 mm (68 toothed) belt (67 toothed, 201 mm rear belt is stock) to get to use the 22T brake pulley (not 23T) and the 50T rear diff pulley. You also need to shave off the rear plate at the back and probably the right rear bulkhead as this 50T pulley is huge and will rub these parts.

With that combo, use the 16T pulley from the front and install it at the rear side instead of the 17T or 18T pulley. That will make both front and rear drive ratio the same when using equal diameter tires for the front and rear.

You end up getting very good ratios for this. Internal drive ratio with these pulley will give you 50/22 = 2.273 instead of 2.136 (47/22) or even the stock 2 (46/23). You'll end up having final drive ratios equivalent to Mugens The highest final drive ratio with these pulley combo with 15T pinion and 50T spur will give you 7.576 for the 1st gear 2nd gear 18T pinion and 46T spur will give you a final drive ratio of 5.808. These are ideal for short and technical tracks
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:40 PM   #2852
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Front Upper Arm Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by PUNISHER
Wwooooaahhhh!
Thats kinda cool D!
Dose the hing pin hit the exhuast hanger?
Also what kinda camber and grub screw do you run with that mod?
The hinge pin does not hit the exhaust stinger.

I use -2.5 camber in the front. The pivot ball on the upper arm will be exposed a little because the upper front arm is now moved 2 mm inner than the stock.

The other thing is I get to run less than 200 mm front trackwidth which was difficult to achieve with the FC steering block.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:42 PM   #2853
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
We have a double agent in our camp! Nizee if you want a set-up for the 705 let me know. Also the new nova s3 is awesome!
Nizee, yoo think Pit-racer is going to give you a correct 705 setup?

Hey, let us know more details about the NS12
Old 07-29-2003, 09:19 PM   #2854
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to nizee

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I tried using the 50T read diff from the 1/8th scale. They cover and shield the internals good. However, because of the size, you need to change the balls to the one for the FPS. I believe the balls used in the FPS diff is bigger than the ones used in the stock ball diff.

Touching on this 50T rear diff subject, yes, using the 50T read diff instead of using 47T or 46T will require a change of the rear belt. You need a 204 mm (68 toothed) belt (67 toothed, 201 mm rear belt is stock) to get to use the 22T brake pulley (not 23T) and the 50T rear diff pulley. You also need to shave off the rear plate at the back and probably the right rear bulkhead as this 50T pulley is huge and will rub these parts.

With that combo, use the 16T pulley from the front and install it at the rear side instead of the 17T or 18T pulley. That will make both front and rear drive ratio the same when using equal diameter tires for the front and rear.

You end up getting very good ratios for this. Internal drive ratio with these pulley will give you 50/22 = 2.273 instead of 2.136 (47/22) or even the stock 2 (46/23). You'll end up having final drive ratios equivalent to Mugens The highest final drive ratio with these pulley combo with 15T pinion and 50T spur will give you 7.576 for the 1st gear 2nd gear 18T pinion and 46T spur will give you a final drive ratio of 5.808. These are ideal for short and technical tracks
Yes, the FPS balls is bigger compare to the stock one. I would wait for the Serpent upgrade to the shield diff and with it adjustable ability. I'm sure its much cheaper then getting the FPS diff.
nizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:33 PM   #2855
Tech Regular

Quote:
Nizee, yoo think Pit-racer is going to give you a correct 705 setup?

Hey, let us know more details about the NS12
Old 07-29-2003, 10:00 PM   #2856
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by nizee

NS12 awesome??...hhmmm... I saw your engine dies frequently and also Ron at pit stop. Btw, i saw a couple of times MT-12 mod catch with you and Ron NS couple of times, and sometimes pass you on the long back straight.
I guess you still break-in the engine?
My NS12 ran great all weekend, I put in a new plug and the other times my pitman let it run out of fuel.As for power in the "A-main" I let racers go just to see the awesome power my stocker had compared to others.If you were watching the whole race I followed the leaders just for comparision for a few laps.I came to race just to practice w/ the new engine.This engine has alot of power to spare!

Last edited by Pit-racer; 07-29-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Pit-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:12 PM   #2857
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
My NS12 ran great all weekend, I put in a new plug and the other times my pitman let it run out of fuel.As for power in the "A-main" I let racers go just to see the awesome power my stocker had compared to others.If you were watching the whole race I followed the leaders just for comparision for a few laps.I came to race just to practice w/ the new engine.This engine has alot of power to spare!
aahh.....ok....Cooooool !!
The engine suppose to be one of the best ROAR engine out there, Period ! Good Buy Pit!
Old 07-29-2003, 10:13 PM   #2858
Tech Regular

Quote:

hey d

u r doing all these to achieved the same drive ratio as mugen, right? abt the rear diff pulley, u r using the 1/8th 50t pulley wif 705 stock diff assembly? or fps?
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:21 PM   #2859
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by taz5176
u r doing all these to achieved the same drive ratio as mugen, right? abt the rear diff pulley, u r using the 1/8th 50t pulley wif 705 stock diff assembly? or fps?
Yes, the 50T rear diff pulley is actually used in the 1/8th scale cars even though they don't use diff on them

There are two versions of the 50T. One for the ball diff and the other for the FPS diff. The 50T for the normal ball diff has this part number 909376 and the 50T diff pulley for the FPS has a part number 909377.

I tested the 909376 50T diff pulley on the normal ball diff. Have not tested the 909377 50T diff pulley on the FPS.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:25 PM   #2860
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Yes, the FPS balls is bigger compare to the stock one. I would wait for the Serpent upgrade to the shield diff and with it adjustable ability. I'm sure its much cheaper then getting the FPS diff.
Well, you already have the FPS

I actually discovered by accident that the balls were covered better with a lip on the 50T diff pulley as I was testing it out for better ratios
Old 07-29-2003, 10:32 PM   #2861
Tech Regular

Quote:
Well, you already have the FPS

I actually discovered by accident that the balls were covered better with a lip on the 50T diff pulley as I was testing it out for better ratios
Yupe, that why i know about the balls size.
I was refering if someone who going to get the FPS now, they would rather wait for the upgrade.

Hey D, have you got the Serpent 4mm Chassis already?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:38 PM   #2862
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Yupe, that why i know about the balls size.
I was refering if someone who going to get the FPS now, they would rather wait for the upgrade.
I know... I was actually trying to pull a fast one on the... TRAITOR

Quote:
Hey D, have you got the Serpent 4mm Chassis already?
No, not yet. I guess soon Don't want to scratch it on a race in Seremban 2. Huge track and tire wear will be a problem. Chassis bottoms out and
Old 07-29-2003, 10:50 PM   #2863
Tech Regular

Quote:
I know... I was actually trying to pull a fast one on the... TRAITOR
hmm...u of all people should know better, which once quote by you before, I come here to learn and to share of the same interest. Not bashing, big/bad mouth or humiliate ones....

Quote:

No, not yet. I guess soon Don't want to scratch it on a race in Seremban 2. Huge track and tire wear will be a problem. Chassis bottoms out and
Give us some reports on the 4mm chassis if u got one. Does Serpent 4mm Chassis make recess for the bulk head and the radio mounting to offset back the roll center? So it will the same as using the 3mm chassis?
Old 07-29-2003, 11:06 PM   #2864
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Give us some reports on the 4mm chassis if u got one. Does Serpent 4mm Chassis make recess for the bulk head and the radio mounting to offset back the roll center? So it will the same as using the 3mm chassis?
I don't think they have recesses at those places. Besides, a higher RC is what a car needs to achieve. Especially the front, hence the mod in the upper arm and such. You can always detune the rear with the spacers if you need a lower rear RC.

But surely, with the 4 mm chassis, CG of the car goes lower I'll give my thoughts when I can lay my hands on one of them
Old 07-29-2003, 11:22 PM   #2865
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yes, the 50T rear diff pulley is actually used in the 1/8th scale cars even though they don't use diff on them

There are two versions of the 50T. One for the ball diff and the other for the FPS diff. The 50T for the normal ball diff has this part number 909376 and the 50T diff pulley for the FPS has a part number 909377.

I tested the 909376 50T diff pulley on the normal ball diff. Have not tested the 909377 50T diff pulley on the FPS.
hey d

i've tried looking up in mytsn, the 909376 50t is a replacement part for the 909390 ball-diff pro ev2, not sure if it's still in production.
but from the looks of it, 909376 & 909377, everything is abt the same except for the 3 holes for the pins to go in. if i were to use the pulleys, i oso need to get the 1374 Thrust bearing 15x28x9 diff or 1376 Thrust bearing 15x28x9 light (tink this one discontinued liao)
i was hoping to use 909377, coz in future if i were to get the fps, i can use it too. pls advice...

oh ya, almost forgot to ask...
d, now ur drive's ratio is definitely higher, how's the performance of ur car compare to previous ratio?

thx
taz5176 is offline   Reply With Quote