R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-27-2003, 12:27 PM   #2821
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Shell

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
I'm really looking forward to seeing the 1:8 cars again after my experience at the EFRA event in Bamberg http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publmem.asp?pid=8129

Even if I can't drive myself, I'm going to enjoy some good racing this weekend
Mark, I think Oslo would have been a better place to be this weekend From the reports at mytsn, it seemed like all of Europe's best drivers are there. It would have been a blast to watch them battle it out.

Congrats to Massimo Fantini and MS
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #2822
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: New Shell

Quote:
If anyone here orders from Europe, I can recommend www.serpent.at - my last order totalled 133 Euros and would have cost me 178 Euros at rccarinternational!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG SAVING!!!! Also I place the order on Monday evening and received my stuff today! Ok Austria is right next ot Germany, but it still is another country
Thanks for the tip Yup Austria is another nice country

I've downloaded their price list somewhere but I did not bother to compare it with RCCarinternationals... Do you know if they ship international? How's their price on the shipping to you in Germany?

I thought I remembered some of the hop up parts that they have listed on their website. I think they have some pretty cool stuff available from Japan like Titanium pivot balls, hub adapters for use of smaller 10 x 15 x 4 bearings instead of the heavier 10 x 19 x 5 bearing etc.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #2823
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
Punisher, if I spent as much time as you do repairing your car, my car would be clean also!.
Hey guys, calm down... Don't fight

Do the fighting on the track
Old 07-27-2003, 12:39 PM   #2824
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pit-racer
Tried the ext. filter and doesn't seem to work for me cause of maint. after a few runs.I find it is not needed.
Ummm, you should see how much of dirt collected in my external filter after 20 tanks or so .

Last edited by InitialD; 07-27-2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:30 PM   #2825
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Anyone else cut the rear bodywork like me? I was hoping to increase the rear downforce by means of utilising "ground effect". I notice all of the electric guys do it, but they don't have cooling holes in the body work, so the "ground effect" will be much better.
I suppose the question is: does this work for Nitro cars with cooling holes?
Aerodynamics... I believe if you use a proper blade or scissors <> on a Stratus 2.1 shell, the cut out would be similar to yours I believe it somehow does affect high speed stability with the rear diffuser like tail. Julius Kolff did an article on modifying the CLK bodyshell on the Impact in which he did a real diffuser on the rear

There's quite a long series of articles on bodyshell aerodynamics and understanding the subject of aerodynamics itself by Bruno Heremans at mytsn. Check it out
Old 07-27-2003, 01:51 PM   #2826
Tech Prophet

Default Front Upper Arm Mod

Well, this is not Friday but I guess you guys would not mind

This mod shows a different hole location for the upper front arm which is 3 mm inner and 2 mm up from the original hole location.

I tested it out last weekend, it seems to make the steering better. To me, the car's front end does not step out unpredictably in the mid corner. But I thought off power steering was a little lacking. Just maybe...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_upper_arm_mod.jpg (174.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 07-27-2003, 01:59 PM   #2827
Tech Prophet

Default Lower Ratio Old Clutch Bell

For smaller tracks, I use this combo.

The old Excel Centax clutchbell has fixed 13T/16T pinions. Yes, the 1st gear one way hub and 50T spur is from the Impulse. You need this in order to mesh with old Centax clutchbell pinions. The 2nd speed spur, bell housing and 2 speed clutchshoe (not shown in the picture) from the 705 can still be used as the 705 2nd gear spur will mesh correctly.

With the optional 47T, 22T and 17T pulleys and a 50T/44T spurs, the 13T/16T pinions and 50T/44T combo will give a final drive ratio of 8.22 and 5.87 for the 1st and 2nd gear respectively
Attached Images
File Type: jpg low_ratio.jpg (192.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 07-27-2003, 05:56 PM   #2828
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Just posted a bunch of NIP parts for sale the for sale section: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=21930
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:03 PM   #2829
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Re: Lower Ratio Old Clutch Bell

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
For smaller tracks, I use this combo.

The old Excel Centax clutchbell has fixed 13T/16T pinions. Yes, the 1st gear one way hub and 50T spur is from the Impulse. You need this in order to mesh with old Centax clutchbell pinions. The 2nd speed spur, bell housing and 2 speed clutchshoe (not shown in the picture) from the 705 can still be used as the 705 2nd gear spur will mesh correctly.

With the optional 47T, 22T and 17T pulleys and a 50T/44T spurs, the 13T/16T pinions and 50T/44T combo will give a final drive ratio of 8.22 and 5.87 for the 1st and 2nd gear respectively
Great to now that,, hehehe,, I now that clutch bell from centax is not more in the market, so, could you sold that one to me, ,,
paulfitipauldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:14 PM   #2830
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Lower Ratio Old Clutch Bell

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfitipauldi
Great to now that,, hehehe,, I now that clutch bell from centax is not more in the market, so, could you sold that one to me, ,,
Try rccarinternational. Well, they are actually close for the moment for a month or so. Part numbers are as below;

6592 CENTAX CLUTCH CASING 12-16T
6593 CENTAX CLUTCH CASING 13-16T
6594 CENTAX CLUTCH CASING 13-17T
6595 CENTAX CLUTCH CASING 14-16T

The last I heard, they are already out of the 13T/16T but what they told me was that they still have part number 6592 and 6595. Just shoot and send an email to them. I believe they are about EURO 20 ++ each.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:06 PM   #2831
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Shell

Quote:
Mark, I think Oslo would have been a better place to be this weekend From the reports at mytsn, it seemed like all of Europe's best drivers are there. It would have been a blast to watch them battle it out.

Congrats to Massimo Fantini and MS
Oh boy, you're right there!!! Wow, that would've been amazing!! The racing at the track near me was not too bad (amaziing! there are three top-class tracks within an hours drive from me )
It was part of the southern german championship and normally a couple of the guys who were at Oslo would have been taking part, so there are some good drivers. But it was only the Class 1 racers who were worth watching - the rest were too insconsistent to be interesting.

Apart from the amazingly fast 1:8, there was 1:10 235mm and 1:10 scale racing. I don't know if it was just me, but the 1:10 scales seemed actually faster than the 235mm - is that possible?

I'll post a couple of pics on Friday
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:16 PM   #2832
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Shell

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Yup Austria is another nice country

I've downloaded their price list somewhere but I did not bother to compare it with RCCarinternationals... Do you know if they ship international? How's their price on the shipping to you in Germany?

I thought I remembered some of the hop up parts that they have listed on their website. I think they have some pretty cool stuff available from Japan like Titanium pivot balls, hub adapters for use of smaller 10 x 15 x 4 bearings instead of the heavier 10 x 19 x 5 bearing etc.
They were also the guys selling the Centax 14 tooth gear - if my memory serves me well.

Serpent.at shipping prices to Germany are about 2 to 4 Euros cheaper than from rccarinternational.

They actually say on their website that the ship to countries which don't have a serpent distributor - but they delivered to me and I think SMI are the official distributor in Germany. Anyway, drop them a line at the email address and they should clarify that issue.

I'm certainly very happy with their prices and how quickly they deliver.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:16 AM   #2833
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Shell

Quote:
They were also the guys selling the Centax 14 tooth gear - if my memory serves me well.
You are right They are actually the only ones around there selling the 14T 1st gear and 17T 2nd gear Centax pinions. The best part is that you can thread it onto your existing clutchbell

I'll give them a go and see how it turns out
Old 07-28-2003, 12:24 AM   #2834
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Shell

Quote:
I don't know if it was just me, but the 1:10 scales seemed actually faster than the 235mm - is that possible?
It could be that 235 mm is not so competitive. It could be that they were running 2WD instead of 4WD.

I thought that the recent 235 mm ROAR race in Texas, a 200 mm Mugen MTX-3 (only 200 mm) won the open 235 mm category and created some disatisfaction among other racers who were actually using heavier 235 mm cars. Yes, they carry the same 75 cc fuel tank but the 200 mm being much lighter in weight and having a longer refueling window will give advantage to them. And yes, it does not help also that these .12 mean machines are ridiculously fast.

Quote:
I'll post a couple of pics on Friday
Isn't every day Friday? I want my D1 pics NOW NOW NOW
Old 07-28-2003, 12:32 AM   #2835
Tech Elite

Patience my boy Good things come to those who wait! Anyway I'm at work and the D1 is at home

The 200mm are really quick! That was something else that struck me - it's the first time I've really seen 200mm in race trim - I saw 235mms at my local club a month or so ago and they weren't so impressive.
I was thinking, too, that the 235mm class probably wasn't so competative, but then I saw some of the top 1:8 guys running 235mm, too, so I suppose they were good guys.
I was thinking, too, that it was probably due to the weight. Probably the power-to-weight ratio for the 200mm is greater than that of the 235mm - seemed that way.

I seem to have freed up a weekend at the end of August - the weekend when the Luxembourg EFRA GP takes place! Maybe I'll take a look along there!!